Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Orlando brown… welcome
My son gets info well ahead of me. For the past 4 days he has been calling me, mostly with bad news. I started calling him the Grim Reaper and told him to leave me the fork alone.

He is also a huge prankster. So this morning when he calls and tells me we signed OBJ, I didn't believe it. I'm still not sure I believe it.

Katie is a stone cold baller! WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Hell to the Yeah! Not gonna lie was getting a bit anxious, but bit my tongue.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I was curious, so I did a quick plotting of pressure percentage between Jonah and Orlando. Here are the results.

[Image: TOfh5en.png]

Keep in mind, lower is better. Brown had significantly less of his pressures converted to sacks than Jonah did, but I think that is a testament to Mahomes and not necessarily Brown. Patrick Mahomes had the lowest amount of pressures converted to sacks against him with only 7% of pressures resulting in a sack. League average was 17%, and the Bengals were right around 18%. Here is another graph plotting their pressure percentage from 2021-2022.

[Image: 4hUQjDF.png]

Since Mahomes took over as the starting QB, the Chiefs have had absurdly low pressure to sack ratios. I am wondering how much of an improvement we will see. My gut says that Orlando is an upgrade over Jonah, but this has me wondering just how much of this is coming from the fact that Mahomes is a scrambling wizard. Talking strictly pass pro here. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I was curious, so I did a quick plotting of pressure percentage between Jonah and Orlando. Here are the results.

[Image: TOfh5en.png]

Keep in mind, lower is better. Brown had significantly less of his pressures converted to sacks than Jonah did, but I think that is a testament to Mahomes and not necessarily Brown. Patrick Mahomes had the lowest amount of pressures converted to sacks against him with only 7% of pressures resulting in a sack. League average was 17%, and the Bengals were right around 18%. Here is another graph plotting their pressure percentage from 2021-2022.

[Image: 4hUQjDF.png]

Since Mahomes took over as the starting QB, the Chiefs have had absurdly low pressure to sack ratios. I am wondering how much of an improvement we will see. My gut says that Orlando is an upgrade over Jonah, but this has me wondering just how much of this is coming from the fact that Mahomes is a scrambling wizard. Talking strictly pass pro here. 

Joey Houdini is not exactly a statue back there either.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking vet minimum, just to be depth. Maybe if Brown gets hurt we could get half a season out of him, and he would be worth that.

Yeah, if he took vet minimum then I would be fine with it. Very low risk move, really. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, if he took vet minimum then I would be fine with it. Very low risk move, really. 

Yes, I am getting tired of having a huge plan, only for it to be cut short due to injury of our new object. I'm all in on stacking the trenches when it comes to depth. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Houdini Burrow is not exactly a statue back there either.

For sure, but he still isn't quite up to Mahomes level in that regard. For instance, at the offensive lines best/Burrow's best in 2022 (week 9-16), the Bengals had roughly a 20% pressure percentage. That's pretty damn good, better than league average. However, the Bengals were still having about 16% of pressures converted to sacks, slightly better than league average. Compare this to the Chiefs who had a pressure percentage of 22.5% (still good) but only had 6% of those pressures converted to sacks. 

That number is absurdly low and can't be explained away by pointing at a good offensive line. It's been like that pretty much every season that Mahomes has played, he's a major reason for it. However, Burrow should hopefully be a little more mobile this coming season with another year of recovery on his knee.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Since Mahomes took over as the starting QB, the Chiefs have had absurdly low pressure to sack ratios. I am wondering how much of an improvement we will see. My gut says that Orlando is an upgrade over Jonah, but this has me wondering just how much of this is coming from the fact that Mahomes is a scrambling wizard. Talking strictly pass pro here. 

Mahomes creates pressures too with his play style of holding the ball and scrambling around deep in the pocket. Browns best fit is probably in a run heavy offense but if he does have to pass protect alot like KC or Cincy its better if the ball comes out fast because that fits his skill set best.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:08 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For sure, but he still isn't quite up to Mahomes level in that regard. For instance, at the offensive lines best/Burrow's best in 2022 (week 9-16), the Bengals had roughly a 20% pressure percentage. That's pretty damn good, better than league average. However, the Bengals were still having about 16% of pressures converted to sacks, slightly better than league average. Compare this to the Chiefs who had a pressure percentage of 22.5% (still good) but only had 6% of those pressures converted to sacks. 

That number is absurdly low and can't be explained away by pointing at a good offensive line. It's been like that pretty much every season that Mahomes has played, he's a major reason for it.

Yeah, there's no doubt Patrick is hard to get to. He is as slippery as his wife is annoying.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:34 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wonder, did Kansas City want the other guy they signed 

Hopefully he plays as well as he did in KC.

I remember reading on the KC boards a lot of criticism of Orlando Brown during the year. His play was inconsistent and I remember a lot of comments like "What are we paying this turnstyle for???" That said, he was healthy and showed up in the Superbowl so...I'll mos def take him. 

Also I try not to take KC fans too seriously as they act like the world owes them something.  

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Mahomes creates pressures too with his play style of holding the ball and scrambling around deep in the pocket. Browns best fit is probably in a run heavy offense but if he does have to pass protect alot like KC or Cincy its better if the ball comes out fast because that fits his skill set best.

Yeah, I can recognize that. He creates pressure but is amazing at avoiding the sack. I think the bit I am trying to guess at is if we will see his pressures drop playing with a more traditional QB in Joe, but his sacks rise. It may even only be slightly, which would end up being an upgrade. However, Jonah finished the year with a lower pressure ratio but higher sacks. Part of that is injury induced, of course, but I wonder if we will see a similar trend in Orlando.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, there's no doubt Patrick is hard to get to. He is as slippery as his wife is annoying.

That's a very accurate way of putting it LOL. 
Reply/Quote
Plus, I hope he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder about the other 31 teams wanting him to play RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Joey Houdini is not exactly a statue back there either.

Someone mentioned that the key for Burrow is knowing where the pressure will come from and that with Brown, it is generally from the outside. This would allow Burrow to move up in the pocket. At the end of last year, you had no idea where it was coming from, other than the entire right side of the line in the KC game.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I remember reading on the KC boards a lot of criticism of Orlando Brown during the year. His play was inconsistent and I remember a lot of comments like "What are we paying this turnstyle for???" That said, he was healthy and showed up in the Superbowl so...I'll mos def take him. 

Also I try not to take KC fans too seriously as they act like the world owes them something.  

Orlando Brown kind of had two different seasons, with the first ten games or so being inconsistent. So, I can understand the criticism of the KC fans. Then, in the last six games of 2022 he was perhaps the best  O-lineman. I don't know what happened the first half of the season-- perhaps he was ticked off at being given the franchise tag, rather than the big contract he wanted from the Chiefs. But once he locked in, he was terrific for the most important games of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Plus, I hope he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder about the other 31 teams wanting him to play RT.

Sounds like it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: Orlando Brown kind of had two different seasons, with the first ten games or so being inconsistent. So, I can understand the criticism of the KC fans. Then, in the last six games of 2022 he was perhaps the best  O-lineman. I don't know what happened the first half of the season-- perhaps he was ticked off at being given the franchise tag, rather than the big contract he wanted from the Chiefs. But once he locked in, he was terrific for the most important games of the season.

Agreed. He did not allow a sack in the POs. 

And like otgers have observed upthread, he is also very predictable. He is not gonna get pushed back into the QBs lap (a la Jonah vs Miles Garrett). If he gets beat, it is gonna be outside. And that is a long way around. 

I buy the franchise tag pout reasoning. Bates fell prey to it here. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: Orlando Brown kind of had two different seasons, with the first ten games or so being inconsistent. So, I can understand the criticism of the KC fans. Then, in the last six games of 2022 he was perhaps the best  O-lineman. I don't know what happened the first half of the season-- perhaps he was ticked off at being given the franchise tag, rather than the big contract he wanted from the Chiefs. But once he locked in, he was terrific for the most important games of the season.

That's how I am looking at it. If you are going to be rough, be rough early on. 

That said, just for fun here is the sort of post I am talking about from the KC reddit sub:

[/url]
Quote:[url=https://www.reddit.com/user/Chief-Redhawk]Chief-Redhawk 229 points 12 hours ago 

Take a look at the Bengals sub. They’re celebrating like this was such a get.
Maybe he performs better with Burrow’s play style vs. Mahomes’s, but I have zero remorse in letting him walk.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Plus, I hope he's coming in with a chip on his shoulder about the other 31 teams wanting him to play RT.

He’s 26. Orlando I’ve watched a plenty at OU. If he ever gets motivated look out. We got him for 16m a year. And the thing few if any are talking about is that he can’t coast here like he’s prone to do because his next contract is his most important. But he’s definitely an upgrade.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote