Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Orlando brown… welcome
Hello Bengals fans. Long long long time lurker and Chiefs fan. I thought I would chime in on this. I am a Chiefs fan, so I am sure my bias will be reflected in what I write here, but I am trying to give an objective viewpoint to this. I also don't know your team and specifically your O-line that well as I write this.

(03-16-2023, 12:33 AM)MadMaxMontoya Wrote: I’m not a very big fan of Orlando Brown Jr either….while he definitely is a solid addition to the online celebrating him to be an elite left tackle he is not, he is better suited to be a right tackle. He’s solid but nowhere near elite as a left tackle, definite over pay if you are expecting him to be an elite left tackle. There is a reason why the chiefs went out and signed Juwaan Taylor over just keeping Orlando Brown Jr….they did not want him protecting Mahomes blind side and wanted to pay him less and move him to right tackle but Orlando Brown Jr wants to be a left tackle and paid as such. I know a couple of chiefs fans who did not want to see another season of having him be their left tackle. It’s exactly why they went out and replaced him with Taylor…..and then you have the Bears who were trying to acquire him but also wanted to move him to right tackle and didn’t see him as a left tackle so in the end he went here where he could be a left tackle. And don’t get me wrong he will do fine and is an upgrade. Really good run blocker but as a pass protector on the left side people on here are highly overating him. We will see but I don’t think he is going to help burrow’s blind side as much as people think.

Mr. Montoya here, has several quotes that are in line with my thinking and this one sums it up fairly well.

(03-16-2023, 12:40 AM)Synric Wrote: I get where everyone is coming from Orlando Brown is not Trent Williams, Laremy Tunsil, Jordan Mailata. Brown is a tier 2 free agent and got paid like one. He is an a step up from what the Bengals have at Offensive Tackle without having to force a 1st round tackle and depend on a rookie. 

I also agree with this point. The contract the Bengals signed Brown to, isn't a bad contract at all. It's a good deal for what you are getting...which is a good OT with experience and who has been mostly healthy, is still young and is a good dude. No one anywhere should be complaining about the money part of this....The Bengals did very well in this regard.

(03-16-2023, 12:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hell yeah for $16m/yr. Didn't think he'd be anywhere near that low in this FA.

As noted in several comments....he got paid what his market was because he is absolutely obsessed with playing LT, you'll hear quite a bit in the coming days about him wanting to play LT to honor his father etc. It's a big deal to him.

(03-16-2023, 01:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why did the Jags let Ju'Wan walk?

Serious question

Mr. Montoya answered in the thread, but yes, the Jaguars have his replacement on hand on a rookie contract is the short answer.

(03-16-2023, 01:54 AM)pulses Wrote: PFF last year of 58.7    2021 was 60.4 and 2020 was 56.5 Hilarious He gave up 28 sacks in 4 years.

Alot of people put way way too much stock in PFF grades. Kansas City fans certainly love to point these out when it says good things about a KC player. I ignore them, good or bad. Too often the rating they have just doesnt ever quite match up with what I see. This is no exception. As noted in ohter parts of the thread, QB sacks is every bit as much a QB stat as it is a O lineman stat....and even more than that, coaches call plays and set things up to work around weaknesses and strengths of their players. It's also been noted that Browns performance has been documented to improve toward the end of seasons. I am SURE some of that is getting better and adjusted with each passing week, but I am hear to tell you, in Browns case, it is also because Andy Reid changed up the system to work around Browns weaknesses. .....but, the best way to determine this for yourself....and not take my word for it, or PFF's grades at face value....just go watch Brown VS the Bengals and let your eyes tell you what they see. Go find any Chiefs or Ravens Brown footage VS Myles Garrett. I won't tell you what you'll see....you are just as smart or smarter than I am to know what you're looking at.

(03-16-2023, 05:55 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Seems your info is not completely accurate and that KC was working on a long-term deal with Brown Jr. but they were not coming up with enough guaranteed money which is why he opted to hit free agency. KC was also considering the franchise tag for Brown Jr. So it does not appear there is much more to the situation than you are reporting.

KC offered Brown a good deal....someone posted it in this thread....after the 2021 season. He turned that down, KC tagged him, and after this season, they had judged Brown to be a player that had plateued as a LT and wanted him to move to RT for a deal, probably similar to what he signed for with you guys. As I said above, Brown is hellbent on being a LT and Cincy promised that to him. KC would not, the Bears would not....can't speak for Pittsburg....but clearly Cincy was the team willing to BOTH keep him at LT and of the teams willing to do that, Cincy made the best offer.

I'm not hear to piss in your skyline chili and tell you this is a bad deal for the Bengals. It's not. You got a good player at a really good price.

Brown is a serviceable LT. He's a really good locker room guy. Has good character...you'll be glad he's part of your community.

Brown handles bull rusher types well...if you can't beat Brown with speed, you aren't beating him. He'll drive you into the ground. He won't get pushed back into burrows lap. That simply doesn't happen. Brown is a big strong beast of a man. He's a good but not great run blocker. Doesn't get into space or second level..and isn't particularly useful in the screen game. Needs to be helped with chip, or having the guard shade the inside against speed so Brown can try and use every bit of what little athleticism he has to get outside. Even then, he gets beat aroudn the edge consistantly....and he compounds that by giving up once he's beaten aroudn the corner...so that if the QB escapes, Browns not going to be efforting to re-establish any kind of helpful additoinal blocking. Once he's beaten, he's done. You might note this season KC had way fewer long pass plays and Mahomes held the ball for less time than he ever has. That was by design. Ried / Mahomes have ALWAYS wanted to be a big play, down field, long developing routes type offense. They changed that up, in part becasue of all the cover 2 high they saw, but also because both OT were poor pass protectors when called on to operate this sort of offesne, so KC ran a whole bunch of short stuff. I don't see the Bengals as a team that wants to run a whole bunch of quick, short passes etc....built as you guys are with big play WR's....

Bottom line - If the Bengals have the idea that they are putting Orlando Brown on the left side, and have no plans to chip, or commit the guard to help, or deliberately shorten routes and play designs that get the ball out quick, you'll be dissappointed with Brown. He is NOT a guy you can put on an island over there and forget about it. If you believe you got a 16 million dollar servicable LT that can play well within the limits of his athletic abilities with some help, then you'll be happy about his play and what he brings off the field.

And last thing to consider - Orlando Brown was tight with Mahomes. He was one of the dudes that stands with the groom at his wedding etc. Brown often pointed that out in interviews and twitter posts. Just as Burrow is the man in Cincy...you know Mahomes is the guy in KC you want to keep happy etc....IF KC and by default, Patrick Mahomes, was good letting this guy go....a guy generally considered to be a good friend of Pats.....just something to consider as well.

My two cents.

***As for KC singing Taylor***

It's a big payday for him...and risking for KC, moving this guy from RT to LT. They see him as young, and athletic, and are somewhat betting that he's an ascending player who played in Doug Pedersons KC style offesne....well. This was also the 4th offesne he's had in 4 years. Just as I ask you all to use PFF grades with caution and watch film....same here. I can see why KC thinks they can make this work, but I can also see where there are some reasons to be concerned about it. It's a risk compounded by the big contract. I don't know how well it will work or not, but KC clearly was willing to let Brown walk, AND then pay Taylor this huge deal. Will be interesting to watch this upcoming season how it all works out.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:55 AM)Zerovoltz Wrote: Brown handles bull rusher types well...if you can't beat Brown with speed, you aren't beating him.  He'll drive you into the ground.  He won't get pushed back into burrows lap.  That simply doesn't happen.  Brown is a big strong beast of a man.  He's a good but not great run blocker.  Doesn't get into space or second level..and isn't particularly useful in the screen game.  Needs to be helped with chip, or having the guard shade the inside against speed so Brown can try and use every bit of what little athleticism he has to get outside.  Even then, he gets beat aroudn the edge consistantly....and he compounds that by giving up once he's beaten aroudn the corner...so that if the QB escapes, Browns not going to be efforting to re-establish any kind of helpful additoinal blocking.  Once he's beaten, he's done.  You might note this season KC had way fewer long pass plays and Mahomes held the ball for less time than he ever has.  That was by design.  Ried / Mahomes have ALWAYS wanted to be a big play, down field, long developing routes type offense.  They changed that up, in part becasue of all the cover 2 high they saw, but also because both OT were poor pass protectors when called on to operate this sort of offesne, so KC ran a whole bunch of short stuff.  I don't see the Bengals as a team that wants to run a whole bunch of quick, short passes etc....built as you guys are with big play WR's....

Bottom line -  If the Bengals have the idea that they are putting Orlando Brown on the left side, and have no plans to chip, or commit the guard to help, or deliberately shorten routes and play designs that get the ball out quick, you'll be dissappointed with Brown.  He is NOT a guy you can put on an island over there and forget about it.  If you believe you got a 16 million dollar servicable LT that can play well within the limits of his athletic abilities with some help, then you'll be happy about his play and what he brings off the field.

And last thing to consider - Orlando Brown was tight with Mahomes.  He was one of the dudes that stands with the groom at his wedding etc.  Brown often pointed that out in interviews and twitter posts.  Just as Burrow is the man in Cincy...you know Mahomes is the guy in KC you want to keep happy etc....IF KC and by default, Patrick Mahomes, was good letting this guy go....a guy generally considered to be a good friend of Pats.....just something to consider as well.  

My two cents.    

***As for KC singing Taylor***

It's a big payday for him...and risking for KC, moving this guy from RT to LT.  They see him as young, and athletic, and are somewhat betting that he's an ascending player who played in Doug Pedersons KC style offesne....well.  This was also the 4th offesne he's had in 4 years.  Just as I ask you all to use PFF grades with caution and watch film....same here.  I can see why KC thinks they can make this work, but I can also see where there are some reasons to be concerned about it.  It's a risk compounded by the big contract.  I don't know how well it will work or not, but KC clearly was willing to let Brown walk, AND then pay Taylor this huge deal.  Will be interesting to watch this upcoming season how it all works out.

Quick short routes are exactly what we did last year because everyone came out and played Cover 2 against us. That's fine, we'll beat teams with short routes. All 3 of our WR's can go long or short, and no one complains about not getting the big play. As for Patrick letting him go, he probably didn't have much to say about it. If Reid wanted a better LT and Brown refused to move to the right side, there you have it. 
Reply/Quote
....and I was wondering if this would happen...you are asking Jonah to move to RT in a contract year.....clearly that didn't go over well. ....and Brown isn't an upgrade on the left side....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:23 PM)Zerovoltz Wrote: ....and I was wondering if this would happen...you are asking Jonah to move to RT in a contract year.....clearly that didn't go over well. ....and Brown isn't an upgrade on the left side....

Woah! The last half of this season Orlando graded #3 in pass blocking tackles. Williams couldn’t be #3 in his best game of his career. OBJ gave up no sacks in the playoffs. Now I’m not proclaiming OBJ Anthony Munoz but let’s be real here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:23 PM)Zerovoltz Wrote: ....and I was wondering if this would happen...you are asking Jonah to move to RT in a contract year.....clearly that didn't go over well.  ....and Brown isn't an upgrade on the left side....

Brown is an upgrade over Williams at LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:23 PM)Zerovoltz Wrote: ....and I was wondering if this would happen...you are asking Jonah to move to RT in a contract year.....clearly that didn't go over well.  ....and Brown isn't an upgrade on the left side....

this place definitely overrates Brown and underrates Jonah. They always like to ignore the fact Jonah was fighting through knee injuries last year. They also like to ignore Jonah's 2021 PFF grade

Jonah when healthy has proven to be near/on Brown's level

but Brown is a little better IMO
Reply/Quote

Brown is a huge upgrade over Jonah. He has only given up a post-season sack in one year (2021). And that was Hendrickson for one of the two. In 2022, 2020, 2019, and 2018 he was clean in the post-season. 

He is a legit Pro-Bowl level tackle. Not All-Pro, but Pro-Bowl. And selected to Pro-Bowl, not 5th injury replacement BS Pro Bowl. 

I figured Jonah would be gone after this year. He is not worth $10 mil a year, let alone $15-$20 mil. I had hoped we'd get a useful year out of him in a contract year, and we still might. But he was not in my long term plans. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this place definitely overrates Brown and underrates Jonah. They always like to ignore the fact Jonah was fighting through knee injuries last year

Jonah when healthy has proven to be near Brown's level

but Brown is a little better

Brown has also been healthier than Jonah. I mean, Jonah missed all if 2019 and was crap all last year. He has only been a pro 4 years. 2 of them, he has been crap/hurt. Brown has been in the league 5 years and has made 4 Pro Bowls, been healthy the whole time, and not given up a sack in 4/5 of the post-seasons he played.

Half the time it is a slight upgrade, and the other half it is an immense upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Brown is a huge upgrade over Jonah. He has only given up a post-season sack in one year (2021). And that was Hendrickson for one of the two. In 2022, 2020, 2019, and 2018 he was clean in the post-season. 

He is a legit Pro-Bowl level tackle. Not All-Pro, but Pro-Bowl. And selected to Pro-Bowl, not 5th injury replacement BS Pro Bowl. 

I figured Jonah would be gone after this year. He is not worth $10 mil a year, let alone $15-$20 mil. I had hoped we'd get a useful year out of him in a contract year, and we still might. But he was not in my long term plans. 

drop the pro bowl argument. It's complete crap. Justin Smith made zero pro bowls in cincy. Whitworth made 2. 

it's a popularity contest/best team contest
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this place definitely overrates Brown and underrates Jonah. They always like to ignore the fact Jonah was fighting through knee injuries last year. They also like to ignore Jonah's 2021 PFF grade

Jonah when healthy has proven to be near/on Brown's level

but Brown is a little better IMO

Seldom differ with you. You are right to a degree. Williams when healthy has been just barely below average LT in this league. Brown has just been barely below top 10. But OBJ was #3 highest rated tackle his last 10 games this season and gave up no sacks in the playoffs. Jonah never got close to that level in any stretch.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Seldom differ with you. You are right to a degree. Williams when healthy has been just barely below average LT in this league. Brown has just been barely below top 10. But OBJ was #3 highest rated tackle his last 10 games this season and gave up no sacks in the playoffs. Jonah never got close to that level in any stretch.

Everyone knows when Jonah loses, he loses bad. He's like a batter who either strikes out or hits homers. 

but he's still above average when healthy. I mean, Orlando Brown's best year isnt as good as Jonah's 2021 according to PFF

Like I said, this place is overrating Brown, and underrating Jonah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Everyone knows when Jonah loses, he loses bad. He's like a batter who either strikes out or hits homers. 

but he's still above average when healthy. I mean, Orlando Brown's best year isnt as good as Jonah's 2021 according to PFF

Like I said, this place is overrating Brown, and underrating Jonah

I don’t disagree with that but I disagree about the size of the gap between them. I don’t think the decision was just about performance. Williams has struggled health wise

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t disagree with that but I disagree about the size of the gap between them. I don’t think the decision was just about performance. Williams has struggled health wise

agreed. 
Reply/Quote
The very fact that a rusher is going to have to go around Brown and not through Williams makes Brown better, because it gives JoeyB that extra second.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 06:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It just occurred to me that 3/5 of our OL are former Super Bowl champions.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Let's get them all to be Super Bowl Champions eh...
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Brown is an upgrade over Williams at LT.

Yep. I'd say he's a top 8-12 Tackle which is a major upgrade.

The Chiefs pay like $4 million a year more for Taylor. No matter how Chiefs fans spin that, it's not a good thing for the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. I'd say he's a top 8-12 Tackle which is a major upgrade.

The Chiefs pay like $4 million a year more for Taylor. No matter how Chiefs fans spin that, it's not a good thing for the Chiefs.

Only a Chiefs fan would say different. Jonah when healthy is pretty good, but he is rarely healthy.

Orlando is bigger, won't be pushed around like Jonah and stays healthy for the most part. The best ability is availability.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: drop the pro bowl argument. It's complete crap. Justin Smith made zero pro bowls in cincy. Whitworth made 2. 

it's a popularity contest/best team contest

You overstate things, per the usual. And all the other stuff still stands. 

Yes, sometimes deserving players don't make the PB. But Jonah isn't Whit. Or Reader.  Are you saying you think Jonah is a Pro Bowl caliber player? Feel free, but that is laughable in my view. 

And of course the Whit argument is the opposite of the Brown argument. It is one thing for deserving guys to get left off, quite another for undeserving guys to make it. And I am not talking Andy Dalton 3rd injury replacement making it, I am talking getting voted on the first time. Which Brown has. He's a top 6-7 OT in the league. Not top 3, granted. But top tier. Top 10. Consistently good. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 01:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You overstate things, per the usual. And all the other stuff still stands. 

Yes, sometimes deserving players don't make the PB. But Jonah isn't Whit. Or Reader.  Are you saying you think Jonah is a Pro Bowl caliber player? Feel free, but that is laughable in my view. 

And of course the Whit argument is the opposite of the Brown argument. It is one thing for deserving guys to get left off, quite another for undeserving guys to make it. And I am not talking Andy Dalton 3rd injury replacement making it, I am talking getting voted on the first time. Which Brown has. He's a top 6-7 OT in the league. Not top 3, granted. But top tier. Top 10. Consistently good. 

Orlando Brown has played for some of the best offenses in the league which has inflated his public perception. There's a reason most teams want him to play RT

Jonah in 2021 was better than any Orlando Brown year according to pff, but the sacks allowed thing is gonna hurt him in the voting booth. Not to mention he was playing on one of the worst lines in the league in 2021

Orlando Brown stays healthy, Jonah doesnt. But if Jonah stayed healthy every year, people would still bash him simply because he does get beat badly when he loses a rep.

But he is on Orlando Brown's level when he is healthy. All Im saying
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 01:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Orlando Brown has played for some of the best offenses in the league which has inflated his public perception. There's a reason most teams want him to play RT

Jonah in 2021 was better than any Orlando Brown year according to pff, but the sacks allowed thing is gonna hurt him in the voting booth. Not to mention he was playing on one of the worst lines in the league in 2021

Orlando Brown stays healthy, Jonah doesnt. But if Jonah stayed healthy every year, people would still bash him simply because he does get beat badly when he loses a rep.

But he is on Orlando Brown's level when he is healthy. All Im saying

He really isn't because he does not have the physical ability to anchor that Brown Jr. does due to natural physical power. His technique is not always solid enough to make up for his inability to anchor. It is these traits that keep him from being at the Brown Jr. level. 
Reply/Quote