Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Orlando brown… welcome
(03-17-2023, 02:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He really isn't because he does not have the physical ability to anchor that Brown Jr. does due to natural physical power. His technique is not always solid enough to make up for his inability to anchor. It is these traits that keep him from being at the Brown Jr. level. 

sure but Jonah is 100% more athletic and can handle speed better than Brown

I'd take Brown over Jonah, but mainly because he doesnt have injury issues like Jonah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 02:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: sure but Jonah is 100% more athletic and can handle speed better than Brown

I'd take Brown over Jonah, but mainly because he doesnt have injury issues like Jonah

Not speed that has any sort of force behind which is why you constantly see Jonah being driven back to the QB. Listen I am not saying Jonah is the worst LT in the business at all. However, injuries and overall performance do not match draft position in any way. I think what is huge with Orlando Brown Jr. is his play when the cards were down and he needed to absolutely play his best. He rose to the occasion played outstanding football when it mattered the most.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 02:40 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not speed that has any sort of force behind which is why you constantly see Jonah being driven back to the QB. Listen I am not saying Jonah is the worst LT in the business at all. However, injuries and overall performance do not match draft position in any way. I think what is huge with Orlando Brown Jr. is his play when the cards were down and he needed to absolutely play his best. He rose to the occasion played outstanding football when it mattered the most.

Which I want in all my players, it is why Joe Burrow is the real deal. 

Now we got a LT that has proven he can play his best in the big games to protect Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Zac is f'ing smooth.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac is f'ing smooth.

Very much so.
My favorite.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/q0435i/zac_taylor_embracing_every_player_going_into_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Related to Brown, I thought this was hilarious.

Reply/Quote
OBJr on ESPN Get Up

https://youtu.be/fCWhfGD_1ac
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac is f'ing smooth.

That's my guy!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:55 AM)Zerovoltz Wrote: Hello Bengals fans.  Long long long time lurker and Chiefs fan.  I thought I would chime in on this.  I am a Chiefs fan, so I am sure my bias will be reflected in what I write here, but I am trying to give an objective viewpoint to this.  I also don't know your team and specifically your O-line that well as I write this.  

Mr. Montoya here, has several quotes that are in line with my thinking and this one sums it up fairly well.

I also agree with this point.  The contract the Bengals signed Brown to, isn't a bad contract at all.  It's a good deal for what you are getting...which is a good OT with experience and who has been mostly healthy, is still young and is a good dude.  No one anywhere should be complaining about the money part of this....The Bengals did very well in this regard.

As noted in several comments....he got paid what his market was because he is absolutely obsessed with playing LT, you'll hear quite a bit in the coming days about him wanting to play LT to honor his father etc.  It's a big deal to him.  

Mr. Montoya answered in the thread, but yes, the Jaguars have his replacement on hand on a rookie contract is the short answer.

Alot of people put way way too much stock in PFF grades.  Kansas City fans certainly love to point these out when it says good things about a KC player.  I ignore them, good or bad.  Too often the rating they have just doesnt ever quite match up with what I see.  This is no exception.  As noted in ohter parts of the thread, QB sacks is every bit as much a QB stat as it is a O lineman stat....and even more than that, coaches call plays and set things up to work around weaknesses and strengths of their players.  It's also been noted that Browns performance has been documented to improve toward the end of seasons.  I am SURE some of that is getting better and adjusted with each passing week, but I am hear to tell you, in Browns case, it is also because Andy Reid changed up the system to work around Browns weaknesses.  .....but, the best way to determine this for yourself....and not take my word for it, or PFF's grades at face value....just go watch Brown VS the Bengals and let your eyes tell you what they see.  Go find any Chiefs or Ravens Brown footage VS Myles Garrett.  I won't tell you what you'll see....you are just as smart or smarter than I am to know what you're looking at.

KC offered Brown a good deal....someone posted it in this thread....after the 2021 season.  He turned that down, KC tagged him, and after this season, they had judged Brown to be a player that had plateued as a LT and wanted him to move to RT for a deal, probably similar to what he signed for with you guys.  As I said above, Brown is hellbent on being a LT and Cincy promised that to him.  KC would not, the Bears would not....can't speak for Pittsburg....but clearly Cincy was the team willing to BOTH keep him at LT and of the teams willing to do that, Cincy made the best offer.

I'm not hear to piss in your skyline chili and tell you this is a bad deal for the Bengals.  It's not.  You got a good player at a really good price.

Brown is a serviceable LT.  He's a really good locker room guy.  Has good character...you'll be glad he's part of your community.  

Brown handles bull rusher types well...if you can't beat Brown with speed, you aren't beating him.  He'll drive you into the ground.  He won't get pushed back into burrows lap.  That simply doesn't happen.  Brown is a big strong beast of a man.  He's a good but not great run blocker.  Doesn't get into space or second level..and isn't particularly useful in the screen game.  Needs to be helped with chip, or having the guard shade the inside against speed so Brown can try and use every bit of what little athleticism he has to get outside.  Even then, he gets beat aroudn the edge consistantly....and he compounds that by giving up once he's beaten aroudn the corner...so that if the QB escapes, Browns not going to be efforting to re-establish any kind of helpful additoinal blocking.  Once he's beaten, he's done.  You might note this season KC had way fewer long pass plays and Mahomes held the ball for less time than he ever has.  That was by design.  Ried / Mahomes have ALWAYS wanted to be a big play, down field, long developing routes type offense.  They changed that up, in part becasue of all the cover 2 high they saw, but also because both OT were poor pass protectors when called on to operate this sort of offesne, so KC ran a whole bunch of short stuff.  I don't see the Bengals as a team that wants to run a whole bunch of quick, short passes etc....built as you guys are with big play WR's....

Bottom line -  If the Bengals have the idea that they are putting Orlando Brown on the left side, and have no plans to chip, or commit the guard to help, or deliberately shorten routes and play designs that get the ball out quick, you'll be dissappointed with Brown.  He is NOT a guy you can put on an island over there and forget about it.  If you believe you got a 16 million dollar servicable LT that can play well within the limits of his athletic abilities with some help, then you'll be happy about his play and what he brings off the field.

And last thing to consider - Orlando Brown was tight with Mahomes.  He was one of the dudes that stands with the groom at his wedding etc.  Brown often pointed that out in interviews and twitter posts.  Just as Burrow is the man in Cincy...you know Mahomes is the guy in KC you want to keep happy etc....IF KC and by default, Patrick Mahomes, was good letting this guy go....a guy generally considered to be a good friend of Pats.....just something to consider as well.  

My two cents.    

***As for KC singing Taylor***

It's a big payday for him...and risking for KC, moving this guy from RT to LT.  They see him as young, and athletic, and are somewhat betting that he's an ascending player who played in Doug Pedersons KC style offesne....well.  This was also the 4th offesne he's had in 4 years.  Just as I ask you all to use PFF grades with caution and watch film....same here.  I can see why KC thinks they can make this work, but I can also see where there are some reasons to be concerned about it.  It's a risk compounded by the big contract.  I don't know how well it will work or not, but KC clearly was willing to let Brown walk, AND then pay Taylor this huge deal.  Will be interesting to watch this upcoming season how it all works out.
I was referring to Taylor not Brown in my post. Might wanna double check your reading !
Reply/Quote
Great interview, really won me over with his maturity and well-spoken... ness lol.

Let's hope he walks the walk with us, how he talked the talk.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Jungle Big O !

Going to call him the Big O, because that's what I had when I read he was becoming a Bengal.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 06:31 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Great interview, really won me over with his maturity and well-spoken... ness lol.

Let's hope he walks the walk with us, how he talked the talk.

Showed a lot.  I always had a much different opinion of him just through media reports.  Very likable.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 08:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Showed a lot.  I always had a much different opinion of him just through media reports.  Very likable.

He’s a great addition to the locker room. As the KC poster on here allowed a pretty good description. I don’t know where the truth lies on the LT/RT debate he said she said. KC offered him a ton of money last year to stay and play LT. End of story. You can debate this or that. He gave up zero zip nada none sacks in the playoffs. I’m not going to go watch film but when you get to the playoffs with the best competition helping LT by chipping isn’t rare I don’t care who it is. But we are getting a young in his prime experienced as hell LT that will definitely be an upgrade.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 04:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Related to Brown, I thought this was hilarious.

Should told him it was Bangkok and acted accordingly.
Reply/Quote
Wow man.

2017 Heisman winner Mayfield had Zeus at LT
2019 NFL MVP Lamar had Zeus at RT
2022 NFL MVP Mahomes had Zeus at LT
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 01:51 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wow man.

2017 Heisman winner Mayfield had Zeus at LT
2019 NFL MVP Lamar had Zeus at RT
2022 NFL MVP Mahomes had Zeus at LT

This is exactly why people overrate him. He’s played only with successful teams. But there’s a reason why the league thinks he’d be better at RT
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: This is exactly why people overrate him. He’s played only with successful teams. But there’s a reason why the league thinks he’d be better at RT

Do you think offensive tackles have any effect on a QBs success?
Reply/Quote
His presser
https://youtu.be/ethXiudK7Sk

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 09:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Should told him it was Bangkok and acted accordingly.

He said they asked him some math question and his answer was something like "Man, I'm a football player" At least he's honest. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 02:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: This is exactly why people overrate him. He’s played only with successful teams. But there’s a reason why the league thinks he’d be better at RT

And now he'll be playing for this successful team.
Reply/Quote