Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Orlando brown… welcome
(03-16-2023, 01:17 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Why did the Cheifs get Juwan--a RT from Jax--on that big contract instead of extending Brown? Was Juwan the cheaper opition, or did they see shortfalls in Brown's play that led them to not trust him a LT?

Sincere question. I haven't compared the contracts. 

Why did the Jags let Ju'Wan walk?

Serious question
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:18 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Brown is also a good 3 years younger than Glenn was when arriving here.
As far as cap, reports are the deal is front-loaded, and his salary will be $14M in the final year ($21.5M cap hit). If I had to guess, year 1 will have a cap hit of about $10M.

In the neighborhood of 8.25, I believe
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:18 AM)Synric Wrote: Im just talking player type and how I would put them as a free agent. I believe this was a great signing and a wildly surprising and great deal by the Bengals FO (31m signing bonus wow). As for how it turns out well Cordy Glenn quit they had to threaten him with a fine to get him back on the field and then he half a**'d the back half of that last season.

I always wondered about Glenn.  At first I though he was faking it.   Maybe he did suffer long term concussion issues.  He never signed with another team after that season when he became a free agent.  He never played football again
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why did the Jags let Ju'Wan walk?

Serious question

Because matching the cheifs' offer would've required them to make Juwan one of the highest paid RTs in the NFL and they didn't want to do that for someone who was MID for them.

Right Tackle Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap
Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown will never be Cordy Glenn for 1 reason. Brown wants to prove to the NFL world that he IS a quality left tackle. Glenn didn’t care.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why did the Jags let Ju'Wan walk?

Serious question

Jags really wanted to bring Taylor back but after the great season he had last year were outbid by the Chiefs. Chiefs offered him 80 mill four years 20 mill a year with 60 million of that guaranteed just a monster contract they couldn’t match and they have Walker Little a recent second round pick whom Pederson really likes waiting in the wings and ready to take over.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:40 AM)MadMaxMontoya Wrote: That’s the problem….he’s better suited to be a right tackle…..most teams don’t view him as a left tackle. And he is far from being an elite left tackle

Anyone who thinks landing an all pro left tackle for 4 years t 64 million in today's FA dollars needs to look at this for what it is, a great signing by the Bengals FO. Please tell me you really want to wrong and not right about the position he plays.

The Chiefs signed a RT to take his place and are paying him more than we are playing Brown. The guy is an unproven LT in t he NFL and they drove up the Brink's truck for him like he was already a top 3 LT.

How does that make any sense?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:40 AM)MadMaxMontoya Wrote: Jags really wanted to bring Taylor back but after the great season he had last year were outbid by the Chiefs. Chiefs offered him 80 mill four years 20 mill a year with 60 million of that guaranteed just a monster contract they couldn’t match and they have Walker Little a recent second round pick whom Pederson really likes waiting in the wings and ready to take over.

I still can't figure out why they would pay Taylor that massive contract rather than keep Brown for what we paid. Unless they didn't want him at LT. In which case why? Or did Brown want to go somewhere else? These are the biggest things confusing me.

Does Joe have the PFF scores for Juwan Taylor?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:52 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I still can't figure out why they would pay Taylor that massive contract rather than keep Brown for what we paid. Unless they didn't want him at LT. In which case why? Or did Brown want to go somewhere else? These are the biggest things confusing me.

Does Joe have the PFF scores for Juwan Taylor?

PFF last year of 58.7    2021 was 60.4 and 2020 was 56.5 Hilarious He gave up 28 sacks in 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:54 AM)pulses Wrote: PFF last year of 58.7    2021 was 60.4 and 2020 was 56.5 Hilarious  He gave up 28 sacks in 4 years.

Well then none of that makes any sense to me. Those are worse then Jonah aren't they?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:57 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well then none of that makes any sense to me. Those are worse then Jonah aren't they?

Jonah was 61.2 last year  77.1 in 2021 and 70.1 in 2020
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The LAST thing you ever try to do is be positive..But it's a new Dey so there's hope

Be positive.

I’m positive this is gonna suck.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:54 AM)pulses Wrote: PFF last year of 58.7    2021 was 60.4 and 2020 was 56.5 Hilarious He gave up 28 sacks in 4 years.

Don’t know where you got that from??? If your into PFF scores Taylor’s was 75.9
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 02:08 AM)MadMaxMontoya Wrote: Don’t know where you got that from??? If your into PFF scores Taylor’s was 75.9
pff.com

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jawaan-taylor/41665 right there it is 58.7
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 12:43 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: This signing reminds me more and more of Cordy Glenn.

Because he isn’t coming off an injury and the Bengals didn’t trade for him?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:21 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Sources: Four-time Pro Bowl tackle and Super Bowl champ Orlando Brown Jr. is finalizing a four-year, $64.092 million front-loaded deal with the #Bengals that includes an over $31M signing bonus — largest ever for an o-lineman.

Brown’s agent, Michael Portner, confirmed the deal.

Very Welcome.  Orlando Brown from the Super Bowl Kansas City Chiefs.  Mahomes loss is Burrow's gain.  You can bet they aren't bringing him in to play Right Tackle.  Brown is a Left Tackle and perfect to protect Burrow's blind side.  It makes sense that if Bengals are going to cough up the money for Burrow long term, that you want to protect that investment.  Orlando Brown is Very Welcome indeed, especially by me who as some of you know said over and over that poor blocking got Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton and Joe Burrow clobbered.  Of course I did credit the blocking for improving to go to Super Bowl and AFC Championship the last 2 years.  It was sad the years Bengal QBs were getting hit as the ball was snapped, a far cry from the days of Munoz and Montoya. 

Not only will this move help protect Burrow, but it's a good step at having a Super Bowl Offensive Line.  It's smart, because they are going to have to pay Burrow a lot, and what's the point if you don't get blockers to protect him.  A very smart move by Bengals.  Again, Mahomes loss will be Burrow's gain on this move.  Plus better blocking will give time to go deep to Chase and others, not forced to go dink passes all game due to lack of blocking time. Plus the best defense is a good offense that can move the chains and eat clock. This is a great move for offense and defense by Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
How could this be? We weren't going to spend any money in FA, the team was just going to get worse, and the window was nailed shut.

What this tells me is that Joe Burrow and his needs are priority one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone who thinks landing an all pro left tackle for 4 years t 64 million in today's FA dollars needs to look at this for what it is, a great signing by the Bengals FO. Please tell me you really want to wrong and not right about the position he plays.

The Chiefs signed a RT to take his place and are paying him more than we are playing Brown. The guy is an unproven LT in t he NFL and they drove up the Brink's truck for him like he was already a top 3 LT.

Orlando Brown Jr at the end of December this year was tied for dead last in giving up quarterback pressures. He had given up 43 QB pressures which tied him for dead last with his other counter mate Andrew Wylie and Dennis Daley in the whole NFL for tackles. That’s brutal…he had given up 4 sacks at that point and thanks to Mahomes being one of the best of not the best at escaping the pocket would have been a ton more. That’s why there was no way in the world the Chiefs were going to go into this year with Orlando Brown Jr as their left tackle. That’s why I think it’s a huge mistake to have him protecting burrow’s blind side and comical that people are thinking this is such a great move if they indeed do plug him in at left tackle. He’s just not a good left tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:17 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Why did the Cheifs get Juwan--a RT from Jax--on that big contract instead of extending Brown? Was Juwan the cheaper opition, or did they see shortfalls in Brown's play that led them to not trust him a LT?

Sincere question. I haven't compared the contracts. 

Just take the L like a man....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:48 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone who thinks landing an all pro left tackle for 4 years t 64 million in today's FA dollars needs to look at this for what it is, a great signing by the Bengals FO. Please tell me you really want to wrong and not right about the position he plays.

SUS.

Ask yourself, why would the Cheifs pay someone who hasn't played LT MORE $ than Brown?

That's concerning.
Reply/Quote