Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other 5-4 starts in team history
1972 - Finished 8-6 - Missed playoffs, but there were fewer spots back then
1973 - Finished 10-4 - Lost playoff game to Dolphins 16-34
1989 - Finished 8-8 - Missed playoffs
1990 - Finished 9-7 - Last playoff win (vs Oilers), lost to Raiders in div round
2018 - Finished 6-10 - Injuries to Green/Dalton, and Teryl Austin

Looking at these, which type of finish do you think is most likely this year?

I've seen some predicting we lose out, which is asinine. The only time we started 5-4 and finished that poorly, it was due to losing our QB/WR tandem, and having the worst DC in team history.

As long as Burrow and Chase are on the field, I'd say we have a chance to win every week. The schedule isn't nearly as daunting as some are saying. We've already beat Pitt and Baltimore in THEIR stadiums. Convincingly.

...and as much as I'm not sold on Lou, he's been much better this year than Teryl Austin was in 2018.

Thoughts? Also, if you just want to talk about some memories of some of these teams, feel free.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1972 - Finished 8-6 - Missed playoffs, but there were fewer spots back then
1990 - Finished 9-7 - Last playoff win (vs Oilers), lost to Raiders in div round

I've seen some predicting we lose out, which is asinine. The only time we started 5-4 and finished that poorly, it was due to losing our QB/WR tandem, and having the worst DC in team history.

As long as Burrow and Chase are on the field, I'd say we have a chance to win every week. The schedule isn't nearly as daunting as some are saying. We've already beat Pitt and Baltimore in THEIR stadiums. Convincingly.

...and as much as I'm not sold on Lou, he's been much better this year than Teryl Austin was in 2018.

Thoughts? Also, if you just want to talk about some memories of some of these teams, feel free.

I got a feeling we're gonna follow the 1989 season outcome.
Gonna end up between 7-9 wins and will just miss the playoffs.
I feel like they needed a win against the Jets and/or Browns to make the playoffs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted 1989 and the 8-8 record, since it's close to the 9-8 I see for this season. That would be an improvement over the past two seasons and a desirable outcome before the season started, but still a disappointment after the 5-2 start.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 04:40 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I voted 1989 and the 8-8 record, since it's close to the 9-8 I see for this season.  That would be an improvement over the past two seasons and a desirable outcome before the season started, but still a disappointment after the 5-2 start.

Same as I voted and see it unfolding....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
To be honest I have no idea.

I don't see how the same team that blew out Baltimore and took Green Bay to overtime could look like total shit against the Jets and Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To be honest I have no idea.

I don't see how the same team that blew out Baltimore and took Green Bay to overtime could look like total shit against the Jets and Browns.

Most puzzling team I've ever seen. I mean, I get losing...but to look that bad? After playing so well against elite teams?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Most puzzling team I've ever seen. I mean, I get losing...but to look that bad? After playing so well against elite teams?

Agree, I don't know what to think ? I voted the 89 8-8 type finish. I still feel they've got a decent chance to finish with 9 wins but doubt that = playoffs.
Reply/Quote
That 1989 team was something else. We had 5 blowouts:

41-10 vs Steelers
56-23 vs Bucs
42-7 vs Lions
21-0 @ Browns
61-7 vs Oilers

But then we had 5 games where we only scored 14 or less, including blowout losses to Raiders (7-28) and Bill's (7-24).

Very inconsistent. Sounds familiar.
Reply/Quote
They're winning a playoff game this year.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to vote for the 1990 team. That team also showed wild inconsistency:

41-7 vs Pats
34-13 @ Browns
27-3 vs Steelers
40-20 vs Oilers

16-31 @ Seahawks
17-48 @ Oilers
17-38 @ Falcons
7-24 @ Raiders

So 9-10 wins and a playoff win.
Reply/Quote
I think we weigh the losses pretty heavily, while disregarding the wins.

Let’s cancel some things out.

Browns loss and Ravens win, scratch
Jets loss, Jaguars win, scratch
Vikings win, bears loss, scratch
All that’s left is win vs Steelers, near tie vs packers and lions blowout.

It’s a complete wash, no way to know lmao. We did lose the packers game, so I’d say we are about as close to 8-8 team as possible, but with that extra game, put us down for 8-9!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1972 - Finished 8-6 - Missed playoffs, but there were fewer spots back then

Doubt we Lose out... But think we miss out on the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Whether or not they win a playoff game depends primarily on who they'd face. If they can't retake the division, then they're looking at a 5-7 seed potentially going on the road against some very capable team (e.g., Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee, Kansas City). That's a taller order than 1990's home win over the Oilers, I think. Let's handle business in the remaining home division games and take this thing back.

I still voted 1990. It's not like this means anything, so I might as well pick the one that sounds good.
Reply/Quote
I have serious concerns with Lou. I wasn't happy we retained him this offseason and we put a ton of money in the defense and shouldn't be playing like this. Do I think he will figure this out and get the defensive side back on track?

No, I do not see him being consistent about it. Maybe a game he does then turns around and drops the ball completely next game.
Reply/Quote

I'd lean towards the recent 2 game skid as just that, a mid-season skid that other teams have to deal with also. 

The relative health of this team and how they played before the last 2 games would lead me to believe they get around 10 wins and a possibility of the playoffs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1973 - Finished 10-4 - Lost playoff game to Dolphins 16-34

1973 is the first year I can remember following the team as a fan.

I was 10 years old in 5th grade.  My dad came from the backwoods of Kentucky where none of the small schools had football teams.  He was more of a fan of basketball and baseball.  I started playing Pee-Wee football in '72, back then 4th grade was the earliest you could start. I remember OSU losing the Rose Bowl to USC after the '72 season, but I didn't follow either team closely until '73.

That was a damn good team.  #5 offense and #8 defense.

Isaac Curtis was a rookie and finished 5th in the league receiving yards and 4th in receiving tds and yards per catch.

We were 17 yards short of having 2 RBs with 1000 rushing yards (Boobie Clark 988, Essex Johnson 997). Boobie set the Bengal rookie record for yards from scrimmage (95.3 per game) that still stands today.  Essex Johnson added 96.6 per game.  Their combined yards per game (192.0) crushes what Icky Woods and James Brooks combined for in 1988 (155.2)

1973 was the only season I remember Bill Bergey playing for the Bengals.  He made Paul Brown mad by signing a contract with the World Football league and was traded after the '73 season.  But since I played MLB for my Pee Wee team Bergey was one of my favorite players.  Bergey was so good that we got 2 first round picks and a second round pick for him.  He should really get more consideration for the Hall of Fame.  He was All-Afl as a rookie (69) 2 time All Pro ('74-'75), 5 time Pro Bowl ('74-'78), set the record for interceptions by a line backer (27), was the highest paid defensive player in the league, and was 2nd team All-Decade (ProFootballReference).

'73 was also Ken Anderson "break out season", It was his third year in the league and he finished 4th in yards, 5th in yards, and 8th in passer rating.
Reply/Quote
This is team is very inconsistent, as it appears the rest of the AFC is, lest we forget. It's been a weird year...

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 05:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That 1989 team was something else. We had 5 blowouts:

41-10 vs Steelers
56-23 vs Bucs
42-7 vs Lions
21-0 @ Browns
61-7 vs Oilers

But then we had 5 games where we only scored 14 or less, including blowout losses to Raiders (7-28) and Bill's (7-24).

Very inconsistent. Sounds familiar.

Ah yes....61-7....the infamous onsides kick late in the game when you're up multiple scores. Cool

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 06:43 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ah yes....61-7....the infamous onsides kick late in the game when you're up multiple scores. Cool

Man I really wish I was paying attention back then. That rivalry between Sam and Jerry Glanville seems like it was epic. LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 06:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man I really wish I was paying attention back then. That rivalry between Sam and Jerry Glanville seems like it was epic. LOL

It was high theater...lol. 

Reply/Quote