Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other than the game winner what play has you furious?
WITHOUT THE HINDSIGHT OF HIS 2 MISSES THAT HAPPENED IN OT, I BELIEVE THIS DECISION, WHICH HAPPENED, I BELIEVE IN THE 2ND OR 3RD QUARTER:

Going for it on 4th and 2 and not going for the FG.

It was too early in the game with too much football left to try and go for it, and you would have had a still confident rookie kicking without OT pressure AND LASTLY, if he makes that one, there is no OT!

(I purposely put the opening comment in caps because I know someone is going to say, "That's BS because he missed 2 later in the game what's to say he wouldn't miss that one!")

Because those 2 misses hadn't happened yet and if memory serves he only missed one FG attempt with perfect PATs in 4 games!
Reply/Quote
The 3rd and 5 run call to Perine before the FG had me mad don't take the ball out of Burrow's hands with the game on the the line.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:30 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Our 3rd downs were frustrating all day. We had a 3rd and 1 in the first quarter, a 3rd and 1 in the fourth quarter, a 3rd and 5 in OT and a 3rd and 2 in OT that we chose to run rather than pass and our team failed to convert all 4 of them.

Overall, the team was really bad on 3rd down. 5 of 14 hurts, especially when you fail 4 3rd and shorts on run plays as well as a 3rd and 3 in the 1st, a 3rd and 4 in the 1st and a 3rd and 2 in the 3rd that they failed to convert via pass.

Overall, they were 5 of 12 on third and manageable (manageable being 6 yards or less).

Even worse, they were 2 of 7 on 3rd and short (3 yards or less)
0 for 3 with runs, 2 for 4 when passing, for what it's worth.

You're not going to win a lot of games when you can't nab 3 yards when you need it more than 28.6% of the time.

This.
Reply/Quote
^^^ yea I've said before that this team isnt good on 3rd and short type situations

the o-line just doesnt get the necessary push
Reply/Quote
For those who are into analytics, one big one was them sending the kicker in, in the first place. Not saying I buy into these things, myself, but considering he will go for it in our own territory, this seems like a strange reversal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/week-5-s-biggest-decisions-chargers-browns-ace-fourth-down-calls-bengals-stumble

A week ago, we outlined the suboptimal decision made by Patriots coach Bill Belichick to kick a 56-yard field goal in the final minutes of a close game, leaving too much time on the clock for a future Hall of Fame quarterback to work with. This week, Taylor followed Belichick’s conservative path while facing a similar decision -- and the call resulted in a massive loss of win probability value for the Bengals (13.1 percentage points).

FOURTH QUARTER: With 26 seconds remaining and the Bengals (tied 22-22) facing a fourth-and-2 from the Packers' 39-yard line, Cincinnati's Evan McPherson misses a 57-yard field-goal attempt.

Our model pegged a successful first-down conversion to be significantly more likely than a successful field-goal attempt, driving the hefty recommendation to go for it. McPherson had a 40 percent chance to make the 57-yard field-goal attempt. On the other hand, the Bengals' offense had a 63 percent probability to gain the 2 yards necessary for the first down.

One does not need to be an analytics expert to see the huge difference between these conversion probabilities. Instead, McPherson missed the kick and Cincinnati went on to lose in overtime.
Reply/Quote
Running screens to Drew Sample.
Reply/Quote
Also I’m going lack of plays or lack of creativity. We haven’t ran one WR reverse all year. All they talked about was using Chase in so many different ways but I’m sure as hell not seeing it.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't furious at all, but the third down conversion rate was anemic, to be kind.

This was a bizarre and exciting game. I figured the Pack would handle us with rather ease, in the 10-14 point range. We hung with em through 5 quarters. Clean up some stuff, and convert thirds more often and this team will surprise some teams.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 05:12 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Running screens to Drew Sample.

those plays actually almost worked

it's just that Sample is bad
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 07:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: those plays actually almost worked

it's just that Sample is bad

Sample should be cut right now. ... He was seriously that bad. Thad Moss can't be this bad. We know he definitely a better pass catcher and runner... Who seen anything in sample to begin with? I mean has this dude even done 1 good thing?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 05:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I wasn't furious at all, but the third down conversion rate was anemic, to be kind.

I was saying in the Gameday thread that I really couldn't blame the defense giving up yards/TDs because they would get a stop, then 1-2-3 back out there again. 
Reply/Quote
Burrow INT.. rewatched it when I got home.. looked like happy feet and terrible throw.. we had the ball in our hands at start of OT.. score a TD, we win..
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow INT.. rewatched it when I got home.. looked like happy feet and terrible throw.. we had the ball in our hands at start of OT.. score a TD, we win..

Imagine what Ja'Maar would be doing with an Arm like Herbert.. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Burrow INT.. rewatched it when I got home.. looked like happy feet and terrible throw.. we had the ball in our hands at start of OT.. score a TD, we win..

At the game it looked like a misread between Burrow and Boyd. Almost as if Boyd was expected to drag across the middle. Maybe I just didn't want to believe that the ball was placed where it was.

And I hate to bring this up, but it seems Burrow is favoring Chase deep. Tee Higgins was wide open (opposite side) on maybe the first deep pass... it was an incompletion that went out around the 20-30 yard line towards the Bengals bench. But Higgins was clearly behind his guy running the same exact route deep... seemed like one of the very few plays this year where a player was wide open.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 09:07 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: At the game it looked like a misread between Burrow and Boyd. Almost as if Boyd was expected to drag across the middle. Maybe I just didn't want to believe that the ball was placed where it was.

And I hate to bring this up, but it seems Burrow is favoring Chase deep. Tee Higgins was wide open (opposite side) on maybe the first deep pass... it was an incompletion that went out around the 20-30 yard line towards the Bengals bench. But Higgins was clearly behind his guy running the same exact route deep... seemed like one of the very few plays this year where a player was wide open.
I was at game also and after watching it I agreed with commentary no way Boyd was going to have any chance at that ball..
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:48 PM)Tony Wrote: Imagine what Ja'Maar would be doing with an Arm like Herbert.. 

This is getting really silly. In college Chase broke SEC records with Burrow as his QB, and through 5 games in the NFL he’s doing things only Randy Moss has ever done in the Super Bowl era. And we’re going to question if another QB could get more out of him?

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:10 PM)Destro Wrote: I was saying in the Gameday thread that I really couldn't blame the defense giving up yards/TDs because they would get a stop, then 1-2-3 back out there again. 

Yup....they were good in the red zone too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote