Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our 2018 Defense _________ you fill it in.
Ok here's the story thus far:

Overall D we're 27th giving up an average of 394 yards and over 26 points per game.

We are the worst D in the NFL - 32nd place on giving up 3rd downs 52%. I'm going to look for the stat but I'm sure we're among the worst if not the worst in the NFL over last season plus at giving up 3rd and long.

We're 25th in pass D giving up 270 yards a game

We're 25th in run D giving up 123 yards per game and I'm quite sure those numbers would be much higher had the Ravens and Colts ran the ball. Luck had 53 pass attempts and Flacco 55.

And we're 2-1 despite thus far having one of the worst D's in the NFL. Quite contrary to what I expected !

So let's blame Dalton Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the appropriate fill in the blank should be

It certainly isn't our 2018 defenses fault, its _____________________

Ninja
Reply/Quote
....Needs burfict and brown back.

Having those two in the field will be a huge factor. It is unfortunate but I’d be surprised if burfict plays more than 6 games this season. Just can’t count on the guy. As for brown, hopefully we get him back soon and he can stay healthy.

Having just one of these guys back would be a boost. Having both will make the defemse look much different.

Reply/Quote
is the victim of a bad DC that everyone thought would be great but is in actuality close to being the same as Chuck B.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: ....Needs burfict and brown back.

Having those two in the field will be a huge factor. It is unfortunate but I’d be surprised if burfict plays more than 6 games this season. Just can’t count on the guy. As for brown, hopefully we get him back soon and he can stay healthy.

Having just one of these guys back would be a boost. Having both will make the defemse look much different.

I sure hope because right now my word would be sucks.

We've got to get way better on D if we hope to have a chance at being competitive this season. I'm not ready to pin it all on Austin just yet but something has to change.

I've been watching the game again and we're playing very soft coverage - again. We're taking bad angles for tackling, we're over committing, we're losing at the LOS, you can tell there's missed assignments and confusion in the secondary and on and on.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope because right now my word would be sucks.

We've got to get way better on D if we hope to have a chance at being competitive this season. I'm not ready to pin it all on Austin just yet but something has to change.

I've been watching the game again and we're playing very soft coverage - again. We're taking bad angles for tackling, we're over committing, we're losing at the LOS, you can tell there's missed assignments and confusion in the secondary and on and on.

That would be my word.....with the caveat that Real Deal mentioned.  Having Burfict and Brown out at the same time is tough.  Nickerson isn't going to start anywhere in the league....Evans probably isn't either.  Both have shown some growth, but they're just barely serviceable at this point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Our 2018 Defense has a lot of potential, but little production thus far

I don't expect the D to play greatly until the latter half of the year. You essentially changed the defensive system after a decade of it being similar terminology/coaching style. You also have a lot of young players in key positions (Bates at safety being the big one)

I think there is a lack of trust with the players thus far, so the coach is tentative to call the game as aggressively as he might normally. This leads to a lot of soft coverage and 5-15 yard gains against us. We haven't given up the long throws, and if someone bust a big one its because someone is out of positions (usually those young LBs).

I think we are seeing the effect of not having a vocal leader (Reggie Nelson, Vontaze... even tho i hate to say it, Pacman) out there directing the younger guys. If Austin is up in the box calling plays, we need a Vontaze out there to get everyone in the right places. Thinking his return will be huge for this years defense, moreso than a normal year.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: That would be my word.....with the caveat that Real Deal mentioned.  Having Burfict and Brown out at the same time is tough.  Nickerson isn't going to start anywhere in the league....Evans probably isn't either.  Both have shown some growth, but they're just barely serviceable at this point.

Don't understand what is going on with Evans. The guy was a stud at OU, but looks a day late and a dollar short on every play. Nickerson getting shoved to the ground by McCaffrey, is is just down right embarrassing!  Just guessing here, but I believe it goes back Haslet being a terrible coach.
Reply/Quote
is lacking teeth.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok here's the story thus far:

Overall D we're 27th giving up an average of 394 yards and over 26 points per game.

We are the worst D in the NFL - 32nd place on giving up 3rd downs 52%. I'm going to look for the stat but I'm sure we're among the worst if not the worst in the NFL over last season plus at giving up 3rd and long.

We're 25th in pass D giving up 270 yards a game

We're 25th in run D giving up 123 yards per game and I'm quite sure those numbers would be much higher had the Ravens and Colts ran the ball. Luck had 53 pass attempts and Flacco 55.

And we're 2-1 despite thus far having one of the worst D's in the NFL. Quite contrary to what I expected !

So let's blame Dalton  Ninja

Our defense is not that good.Remember this,all teams get better through the draft,and it appears that we have once again drafted bad.Heres why,Andrew Billings is not that good and his lack of height is indeed a factor.Dre Kirkpatrick is not that good and he got schooled many times in that game.He is not good enough,and acturally all the secondary is suspect.Number 21 is average at best.We need help big time and this new DC is not that good with these players,they are getting pushed around big time and we need to go to the waiver wire and find some bigger stronger bodies.This D-line is not very good against top talent.That nickersson dude is a joke,number 59 got hammered ALOT.Now ,on to Dalton,he is a good qb but not great,and isn't is unreal about all these injuries.I truly believe this franchise is super snake bit.A ton of injuries every year.I mean every stinkin year.AJ Green is too frail and gets hurt every season.AND number 25 good ole gino is not even close to a starting rb.He is too small and gets hammered behind the line twice as much as he gets any positive yards.but in spite of all this,we could have won that game is stinkin John ***** Ross did his damn job.I would not play his ass next week,instead put Erickerson in the slot,he gets open and catches the damn ball.I am thinking this lousy team is not going anywhere this year and stupid Marvin Lewis should have chewed ross out immediately on the sidelines in front of the whole team.We are going to get outcoached and whipped in Atlanta.Believe this,it will be embarrassing as hell. Can't beat the better teams and I am predicting a 8 and 8 season.Remember all teams get better every year and we are going to be hammered all season.Too many injuries and a lack of top coaching.Please fire yourself Marvin,you are horrible.
Reply/Quote
It's been pretty awful.

The "bend but don't break" approach doesn't work when you continue to break.

The defense can't stop anyone on 3rd down. The pass rush has strangely been flat. They played the Colts and Panthers, who were missing their starting tackles. Meanwhile Dunlap was the only one to finish plays. Willis, Lawson, and Hubbard have gotten some pressure but haven't brought the quarterback down.

They HAVE to get the quaterback down, or else the secondary will get picked apart. That's not to say our secondary is awful. But if you give any quarterback time, receivers are going to get open.

The Bengals are also tied for 20th in points allowed.
Last year the Bengals gave up 21.8 points allowed, despite having an awful offense.
This year, the Bengals are giving up 25.7 points allowed, despite having one of the better offenses in the NFL.

Giving up 24 first downs on third down is dreadful for ANY team.
They rank last in first downs allowed on third down.
What's even worse is LAST year they ranked 31st in the same category. Allowing 98 first downs on third downs.
However, their percentage was ranked 25th in the league (40.7).
This year, they're ranked last with their percentage, and no other defense has allowed more than 50% of third down conversions (Bengals have 52.2%)

Not only that, the Bengals gave up 230 rushing yards this week. There's teams that haven't even allowed that all year.

With that said, the Panthers offense mismatches the Bengals defense in every way. Their strengths are the Bengals weaknesses.

This year, we need players to step up outside of Geno and Dunlap. Fej and Williams made plays, and we need more of that.
Hubbard missed a punt block and didn't fall on a fumble that would have given the Bengals momentum and the ball of the Panthers side of the field.
Kirkpatrick has missed a few interceptions.
Bates missed the one against Baltimore.
The Bengals need more plays out of their defense.

Honestly, with how the defense has been playing, it seems like this team will go as far as their offense will take them.
Hoping they start to play better, because there's some scary offenses coming up with the Falcons, Steelers, Chiefs, Bucs, and Saints.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
.....is grossly under-performing.

I'm sorry, I won't jump on a fire Austin sentiment yet, but looking at the personnel and talent on the Defensive roster there is NO WAY they should be one of the worst in the league (even without Brown and Burfict). It's sickening.
:andy:
Reply/Quote
Our 2018 Defense needs to take on an Andy Dalton led team to pad its turnover stats.

Ok, I did that because the OP asked.

To the real answer: Our D is going through a new DC and changes are going to take time. Zims and his protégé Gunther didn't focus on turnovers and folks used to complain about that, now this D is focusing on TOs. We are 8th in INTs, 5 in PDs, and 3rd in FF. Get the killer Bs back and the yardage surrendered will go down.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We are playing way to passive. Both cornerbacks are playing way off the line. Chuck B would be proud of this defense
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:02 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We are playing way to passive.  Both cornerbacks are playing way off the line.  Chuck B would be proud of this defense

There was a play early in the game Panthers 2nd or 3rd possession I believe. It's 3rd and 6/7 area. Dre is playing standing right on the 1st down line, at the snap he back pedals 3 or 4 steps and Cam throws a 5 yard pass to that receiver who easily steps out of bounds for the first down. I could have got a 1st with that coverage.

Couple plays later they have 3 WR's to one side. Ball is snapped and Dre and Dennard maybe ? have to look again both cover the guy going inside with the slant. As the ball is in the air Dre turns and goes to the guy running wide open to the outside who easily gets 1st down.

These plays with this soft coverage/ missed coverage are killing us.

And I'd venture to say teams watching this game film can figure out how to exploit it.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 04:30 PM)WhoDeyandtheBlowFish Wrote: .....is grossly under-performing.

I'm sorry, I won't jump on a fire Austin sentiment yet, but looking at the personnel and talent on the Defensive roster there is NO WAY they should be one of the worst in the league (even without Brown and Burfict).  It's sickening.

Yes it is this D is way better than the way they've been playing.
Reply/Quote
Our Defense misses Zimmer's scheme. Without that scheme Marvin's D's have always stunk up the joint.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: ....Needs burfict and brown back.

DingDing
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Our Defense misses Zimmer's scheme. Without that scheme Marvin's D's have always stunk up the joint.

Scoring defense 4 years with Geunther

2nd
8th
12th
16th

4 previous seasons with Zimmer

5th
8th
9th
24th

The average rank per year is actually higher for Geunther than Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
Is wishing Zimmer never left town, and Marvin did
Reply/Quote