Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Tackles have played better
(10-29-2017, 08:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It blows my mind that anyone thinks this line looks ok. My Wife is a Lions fan (she's seen a bad line a time or two) and couldn't believe the pressure today.

I hope someone posts the number of pressures from this game. It easily had to be double digits. It seemed like damn near every play.

And once again, our trio of 2nd round picks went for 34 yards on 2.0 per carry. Some don't like hearing about it, but it's impossible to overstate how bad this line is.

I'm going to go back and watch it and count myself this evening. I'd be willing to bet the times Dalton actually has a clean pocket to throw from are very few and far between ! 5 ? 6 maybe ?

If you can't watch nearly every other NFL team and see the difference in the pockets most QB's get compared to Dalton ?? Is it every play ? of course not but way, way, way, more often than Dalton.

How some fans can't see that ? Dumbfounded ! We just got like 50 yards rushing against the 31st ranked D, we can't run block either which just pours gas on the fire for the rush coming against us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The 2 weeks they looked better...Green Bay and Buffalo....Ryan Hewitt was available and was used to add another blocker. Last 2 weeks...no Hewitt and line looks worse than crap again.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[Image: pav.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:44 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I thought the O-line was terrible. Not only do they get pushed around but the communication is terrible. Amazing how many times two of them chase the same guy and let someone else run untouched at QB.

There is not one of them that I would keep next year.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it Bodine’s responsibility to ensure proper communication? And isn’t it sad that if true, he’s usually the one who has defenders run right past him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 09:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't seen anything to like from this line. The interior has been worse over the last couple weeks, but the tackles have been mediocre at best.

Isn't a 70 a not-so-good grade anyway? Where are they on the season? I wouldn't mind seeing a list of their grades week by week with an explanation on what's considered good by their system.

I believe the OT's started in the 30's and 40's. If so, that is great improvement in a short amount of time. On the other hand Bodine, and  Boling seem to be getting worse game by game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 10:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I believe the OT's started in the 3-'s and 40's. If so, that is great improvement in a short amount of time. On the other hand Bodine, and  Boling seem to be getting worse game by game.

Thanks Luvnit. If they can be decent by the end of the year, I'm open to keeping them. I'd still want a good insurance policy on them, though.

To say I'm far from sold in an understatement. I think this entire line should be blown up (including PA) and started over with from scratch.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We need to start all over at OL, beginning with dumping Paul Alexander in favor of an OL coach who actually understands proper blocking techniques.
Reply/Quote
You have to protect this O-line just as you protect Dalton.

Run the ball more than you pass it and if you have a 3rd down longer than 7 yards, max protect.

It's the only shot this team has.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 11:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks Luvnit. If they can be decent by the end of the year, I'm open to keeping them. I'd still want a good insurance policy on them, though.

To say I'm far from sold in an understatement. I think this entire line should be blown up (including PA) and started over with from scratch.

I was at the game and have yet to watch it again, but it seemed the DL of the Colts penetrated 2 yards in our backfield immediately run or pass. We counted 4 times Dalton was under pressure in less tan 1 second. That is scary bad.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Someone correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it Bodine’s responsibility to ensure proper communication? And isn’t it sad that if true, he’s usually the one who has defenders run right past him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of that isn't necessarily communication, but guys just not understanding their assignments.  Fisher just seems totally clueless on who to block whenever there's a blitz to his side.  Both the Steelers and Colts have exploited him the past couple of weeks.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 11:26 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: You have to protect this O-line just as you protect Dalton.

Run the ball more than you pass it and if you have a 3rd down longer than 7 yards, max protect.

It's the only shot this team has.

Except our run blocking is HORRIBLE. We can't run the ball at all. I mean zilch. This may be the worst running team I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 12:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Except our run blocking is HORRIBLE. We can't run the ball at all. I mean zilch. This may be the worst running team I've ever seen.

Probably the worst run blocking AND pass blocking I've ever seen.

This is what Mike Brown's patience and loyalty gets us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm confused at what 'better' is...I mean, yeah they aren't cardboard stand ins...but might as well be. When you have two backs to block, as well as five down linemen, and STILL allow a free rusher...that's not good.

I'm seeing the SAME miscommunication errors from the interior aspects of the line (center/guards). Especially on those stunt blitzes that fold the pocket, and force Andy to run (hard to see down the field, step in the pocket when you're about to get crushed).

Both the tackles have zero awareness for anything off the edge, and I'm tired of seeing people double down on a rusher, allowing one to free. It's maddening. Nothing about this line is improving, and the lack of run game is further proof of that.

If you think THIS was bad, wait until Jacksonville. Dalton will be sacked at least 6 times. I'm calling it now.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
As soon as the ball was snapped, Dalton was taking some real shots. Man, he got clobbered a lot. So did our running backs. Good thing Dunlap makes an amazing D Line ball tip and interception for game winning touchdown or Bengals don't win that one against a not very good Colts team...Next up is Jacksonville, Tennessee and Denver all on the road to give our O Line Halloween Nightmares.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dalton won't make it past Jacksonville.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 08:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The pass protection is better. The run blocking is HORRIBLE. Maybe the worst in the league.

We rarely set up our rush attempts to go outside, which puzzles me.  If the interior of the line is so weak, why not focus on setting the edge and allowing the speed of Gio and Mixon to get outside.  

I called the quick pitch to Gio outside on 3rd and 3, I think it was, and it was an easy first down.  One more tackle broken and he scores.  Now, if the defense had to worry about that happening on BOTH sides (with Gio AND Mixon in the backfield) it might open up the middle.  But not with our existing guard play and not with our current blocking schematic.
Reply/Quote
Tackles have indeed been better as of the last 4/5 weeks.

Interior is causing all the issues and Fisher showed nhumerous times yesterday that at run blocking, his technique/timing/something is off.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Who gives a rats a$$ if the tackles have played better? The goal is to have five lineman blocking well at the same time or it doesn't mean anything.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:14 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Who gives a rats a$$ if the tackles have played better? The goal is to have five lineman blocking well at the same time or it doesn't mean anything.

I care if the exterior linemen are playing better, it very well could mean we do not need to spend a high draft pick on another uncertain OT. I don't think you'll get anyone to argue that the interior needs to be addressed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I care if the exterior linemen are playing better, it very well could mean we do not need to spend a high draft pick on another uncertain OT. I don't think you'll get anyone to argue that the interior needs to be addressed.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/04/30/bengals-ol-coach-sick-bodine-witch-hunt/83758492/
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote