Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our drafting has sucked lately
(01-30-2024, 01:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: What's funny is Carman graded better than Volson did at LG when they were both rookies.  He actually didn't allow a sack.  But for some reason, Volson gets infinite leash despite still not being able to pick up a stunt after 2 years.

Of course, Pollack kept Hopkins on the bench for Price, as well.

I also thought Carman was ok at LG as well.  He was serviceable at LT vs the Bills.  Kid just cant play on the right side.  His T-Rex arms wont allow him to play full time at LT I assume, but a competition at LG this preseason could be helpful.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 08:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The last 5 guys, by draft year, who were both drafted by and became a 1st Team All-Pro with the...

Bengals
Geno Atkins, 2010
Chad Johnso, 2001
Willie Anderson, 1996
David Fulcher, 1986
Boomer Esiason, 1984

Ravens
Kyle Hamilton, 2022
Devin Duvernay, 2020
Lamar Jackson, 2018
Mark Andrews, 2018
Marlon Humphrey, 2017

Browns
Nick Chubb, 2018
Myles Garrett, 2017
Joel Bitonio, 2014
Josh Gordon, 2012
Joe Thomas, 2007

Steelers
TJ Watt, 2017
Le'Veon Bell, 2013
David DeCastro, 2012
Cameron Heyward, 2011
Antonio Brown, 2010

Whit was a 1st team All Pro in '15.  He didn't leave until '17.

This also dismisses a number of second team All Pro's, like Chase, Bates, AJ, Burfict (though technically an UDFA).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:49 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I also thought Carman was ok at LG as well.  He was serviceable at LT vs the Bills.  Kid just cant play on the right side.  His T-Rex arms wont allow him to play full time at LT I assume, but a competition at LG this preseason could be helpful.

Won't happen, because he isn't one of Pollack's boys, so he won't start.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:01 AM)Whatever Wrote: Won't happen, because he isn't one of Pollack's boys, so he won't start.

I mean…good? Volson is obviously a mixed bag himself but if the choice is between him or Carman I’ll take the former all day. But ideally they’d bring in an upgrade over both of them.

Reply/Quote
I like how people are still convincing themselves Carman is ok lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:15 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like how people are still convincing themselves Carman is ok lol

No one is saying that Carman is blanket "ok" and should start.  But he did have decent grades at LG compared to RG, and he did play decently well vs the Bills at LT.  I like how people dont understand that these two things are true. 

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 11:37 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I saw a tweet earlier that pointed out when we took Carman it was two years back to back we went LSU in 1 and Clemson in 2 so hopefully that wasn't our thinking.

Two guys who were the best players on a National Championship team and were a QB WR duo. And two of the best guys off a team consistently in the college football playoffs including a National Championship. I like to get top players from top programs. So I can't fault them there.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:44 AM)casear2727 Wrote: No one is saying that Carman is blanket "ok" and should start.  But he did have decent grades at LG compared to RG, and he did play decently well vs the Bills at LT.  I like how people dont understand that these two things are true. 

Right. Only 24. And I saw him play LT in the NFL in a playoff game and I thought he looked serviceable. I'm not throwing in the towel.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:44 AM)casear2727 Wrote: No one is saying that Carman is blanket "ok" and should start.  But he did have decent grades at LG compared to RG, and he did play decently well vs the Bills at LT.  I like how people dont understand that these two things are true. 

(01-30-2024, 02:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Right. Only 24. And I saw him play LT in the NFL in a playoff game and I thought he looked serviceable. I'm not throwing in the towel.

this dude is never gonna start for the bengals. complete whiff. it's time to accept it. they blew it with carman

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:23 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: this dude is never gonna start for the bengals. complete whiff. it's time to accept it. they blew it with carman

Not one person said Carman should start.  We have ALL have said that Carman was a horrendous draft pick for the past 3 years...

Reply/Quote
You shouldn't be allowed to concern-troll by discussing drafting pre-zach taylor with the current regime. We have had success every year besides the TE pick in the 2nd - any guy drafted third and later is typically seen as a coin flip so getting guys in later rounds that can be depth is a good move by my books 10/10. I'll give Carman one more year.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:23 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What?  Seriously?  We suck at drafting trenches but we surely are not this stupid....  (I hope). Carman was a Mike Brown pick, that was exposed very early on.

Jackson Carman has a ton of talent. He's a former 5 star recruit for a reason. His play in season hasn't been that bad but all 3 of his pre-seasons the guy does not look ready to play and give ezero effort. We want to blame Pollack, Duke, Mike Brown for Carman but Carman's issues seem like Jackson Carman's.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2024, 08:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The last 5 guys, by draft year, who were both drafted by and became a 1st Team All-Pro with the...

Bengals
Geno Atkins, 2010
Andrew Whitworth, 2006
Chad Johnso, 2001
Willie Anderson, 1996
David Fulcher, 1986

Ravens
Kyle Hamilton, 2022
Devin Duvernay, 2020
Lamar Jackson, 2018
Mark Andrews, 2018
Marlon Humphrey, 2017

Browns
Nick Chubb, 2018
Myles Garrett, 2017
Joel Bitonio, 2014
Josh Gordon, 2012
Joe Thomas, 2007

Steelers
TJ Watt, 2017
Le'Veon Bell, 2013
David DeCastro, 2012
Cameron Heyward, 2011
Antonio Brown, 2010

To be entirely fair though, it's not like we haven't drafted 1st Team AP-calibre players: at the end of the day, it is still voted on by writers and while infinitely more-accurate than PB, it still is subjective (Whitworth getting it in '15 was not right, for example, as there were better LTs that year: he should've gotten it in '10 and '14):

- AJ was definitely worthy of getting that nod, for a couple of seasons (got AP2 a couple of times), but could've gone either way.
- Same thing with Bates (who did get AP2 with us as well. Amazed he didn't get it this year, based on numbers)
- Arguable on Eifert (those TD numbers pop, but the receiving yards pale in comparison to the actual AP guys)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:15 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like how people are still convincing themselves Carman is ok lol

Lmao - I was coming here to say this. 

Carman is dead, you guys. He had one decent playoff game in the snow where defenders couldn't get their footing. 

There's a reason he ain't playing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 01:23 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What?  Seriously?  We suck at drafting trenches but we surely are not this stupid....  (I hope). Carman was a Mike Brown pick, that was exposed very early on.

I meant that more as a joke but I suppose I could've put the ninja in there. It was just weird when we drafted him as I don't really get into OL prospects so I see what others have to say. So not only was he a guy I hadn't thought of everyone else seemed to be feeling that same way. Then Pollack says after the fact that he didn't even meet with him before the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 02:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean…good? Volson is obviously a mixed bag himself but if the choice is between him or Carman I’ll take the former all day. But ideally they’d bring in an upgrade over both of them.

Again, Carman didn't allow a sack as a rookie at G.  Not saying I would feel great about it, but I take the guy that can keep the QB upright every time.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 11:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Again, Carman didn't allow a sack as a rookie at G.  Not saying I would feel great about it, but I take the guy that can keep the QB upright every time.

He also only played 42% of the offensive snaps, and gave up an inordinate amount of pressures. I remember the Packers game being particularly bad.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 11:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Again, Carman didn't allow a sack as a rookie at G.  Not saying I would feel great about it, but I take the guy that can keep the QB upright every time.

Lmao Carman is ASS

get over it

Reply/Quote
I been making this point for years honestly. And there’s always an army of blind faith bengals who defend em. We need to be better in the draft especially upfront. Mainly the oline. Pollack is wayyyyyy overhyped coming from Dallas. Who has he developed honestly name 1. Volson can go with pollack. But even when we took Ross at 9. It was the dumbest pick even before the pick. He was a 1 trick pony tiny as hell in a big man’s game and u took him at 9 overall cuz he ran fast. Just piss poor. U can’t miss on those picks. Ross was horribly. Hell the first time he touched the ball on an end around Malik hooker sent him and the ball 3 rows up. Look at the chiefs. They let guys go and the replace em no problem. I was banging the table for Trey smith and Humphrey all off season and we go jackson carman. I look at him once. I don’t get it. Bengals should have a ring by now but the bengals front office and duke Tobin shoot themselves in the foot year in and year out.
Reply/Quote

Carman needs to go back to school… high school and play.
Reply/Quote