Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our future is starting to look bleak...
(01-13-2016, 04:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I like how the same people who think firing Marvin will make us 3-13 overnight have no concerns about us hemorrhaging coordinators over the past years.

Well the history sides with no major fall off considering we have had pretty much the same record barring 1-2 games at the most it has not hurt us that much.
Sure there could always be some growing pains but at the end of the day there is enough talent and long termed staff in place to negate ever
having to make a true "Fresh Start".

I mean Injuries and 2014 affected Hue and Gunther but in 2015 with a healthy team we saw plenty to like from both.

The team will be fine.
And who knows you can always be better.
Reply/Quote
Remember it took 2 years for Dalton to adjust to a new system. Likely won't be the same with the comfort running the new offense (making changes at line, audible) and such until 2017 season. Unless Zampese takes over.

Cleveland fans are celebrating in the streets. Could this week be any worse!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Just gotta keep giving Dalton the freedom to make audibles and adjustments.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
we lost Chad and the end was nigh. We lost Carson and the end was nigh. We lost gruden and the end was nigh. We lost zimmer and the end was night. We took Andy Dalton and the end was nigh. We didn't fire Marvin and the end was nigh.

I haven't agreed with every decision the last decade. Hell, probly not even half. But we've never been this good of a team, regardless of who we lose. Saturday still stings and losing a piece or two from this year will, too. But the end isn't nigh.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's what Koetter runs.   It's basically that same philosophy Hue used.  

Koetter as an OC and possible coach in waiting here is a better deal than he will get anywhere else.

My understanding was that both Hue and Koetter are Coryell guys, but that Hue adapted his plays to the West Coast verbiage... No? He seems to favor the downfield passing game, at least that's what I recall of the Jags and Falcons when he was with them.

I'd like to not only stick with the West Coast language the team knows, but West Coast concepts that play into Dalton's strengths.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:09 PM)gobobro Wrote: My understanding was that both Hue and Koetter are Coryell guys, but that Hue adapted his plays to the West Coast verbiage... No? He seems to favor the downfield passing game, at least that's what I recall of the Jags and Falcons when he was with them.

I'd like to not only stick with the West Coast language the team knows, but West Coast concepts that play into Dalton's strengths.

Koetter runs the exact same offense as hue. All that was done with hue was some verbage was kept the same as most successful teams do when transitioning coordinator to coordinator.

No team runs a true west coast principle any longer. Biggest difference between jay and what hue was doing is that with jay the Qb knew pre snap where to go. Wth hue Andy read the coverage out post snap. Unless there were some pre snap automatics.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Losing Zimmer was a bigger blow then losing Hue would be and we survived that.

I'm actually feeling better then this time last year on the outlook of the team. Andy has showed he can be a franchise QB.

Kind of but Burfict's self control has deteriorated since Zimmer left.  Burfict made the pro bowl when Zimmer was here.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious... Literally EVERY TIME Marvin has lost a coordinator, the next coordinator that comes in takes their squad to the next level.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious... Literally EVERY TIME Marvin has lost a coordinator, the next coordinator that comes in takes their squad to the next level.

I don't think you can say that about Guenther.
Reply/Quote
Perspective ... If in September you have told me that our team would have lost in the first round of the playoffs based on:

1.  Our possible MVP quarterback being lost due to a fluke tackle where he breaks his thumb in the 13th game,
2.  Our inexperienced backup QB, playing in a monsoon not getting the offense going until the forth quarter,
3.  That Our then stud running back would fumble with 1:30 to go,
4.  Our star linebacker getting nailed for a personal foul with 22 seconds to go,
5.   Our star CB getting a personal foul for losing his temper with the same 22 seconds to go, and then losing by a field goal.

I would have said,  NO WAY.   That can't happen. Impossible.

Most of the good part of the team will be back.   We have good draft choices/backups that couldn't get playing time because of the quality of the starters.   Coaches matter, but coaches can't replace player talent and experience.   That is the key.  We might lose a few to FA, but ... Some don't remember when the Bengals franchise couldn't keep decent players who wanted nothing more than to move along to better opportunities at the first opportunity.

The only real downside I see is that we could have more injury problems next year than we did this year, but there is no real way to control for that.   AD and his offensive weapons will likely be intact, the strength of the defense will be back (line and linebackers) and when It comes down to it they have to play, not the coaches.  

Draft some defensive backs, maybe a center, and the Florida State kicker.   Reload the talent.  I think we will be fine.

Then again, I have been a Bengals fan since their inception.   Watched Charles Alexander stuffed at the goal Line  in 1982.   Krumrie's flailing foot, Stanley Wilson's no show, and Billups drop the interception in 1989.  Carson's knee went sideways and Henry laying on the ground in 2005.

Perspective.   Think of it this way, there is probably a reduction in purgatory time for being a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 09:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't think you can say that about Guenther.

Number 2 scoring defense is better than Zimmer had gotten.
Reply/Quote
Perspective ... If in September you have told me that our team would have lost in the first round of the playoffs based on:

1.  Our possible MVP quarterback being lost due to a fluke tackle where he breaks his thumb in the 13th game,
2.  Our inexperienced backup QB, playing in a monsoon not getting the offense going until the forth quarter,
3.  That Our then stud running back would fumble with 1:30 to go,
4.  Our star linebacker getting nailed for a personal foul with 22 seconds to go,
5.   Our star CB getting a personal foul for losing his temper with the same 22 seconds to go, and then losing by a field goal.

I would have said,  NO WAY.   That can't happen. Impossible.

Most of the good part of the team will be back.   We have good draft choices/backups that couldn't get playing time because of the quality of the starters.   Coaches matter, but coaches can't replace player talent and experience.   That is the key.  We might lose a few to FA, but ... Some don't remember when the Bengals franchise couldn't keep decent players who wanted nothing more than to move along to better opportunities at the first opportunity.

The only real downside I see is that we could have more injury problems next year than we did this year, but there is no real way to control for that.   AD and his offensive weapons will likely be intact, the strength of the defense will be back (line and linebackers) and when It comes down to it they have to play, not the coaches.  

Draft some defensive backs, maybe a center, and the Florida State kicker.   Reload the talent.  I think we will be fine.

Then again, I have been a Bengals fan since their inception.   Watched Charles Alexander stuffed at the goal Line  in 1982.   Krumrie's flailing foot, Stanley Wilson's no show, and Billups drop the interception in 1989.  Carson's knee went sideways and Henry laying on the ground in 2005.

Perspective.   Think of it this way, there is probably a reduction in purgatory time for being a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: It'll be a rough transition for Dalton. It is the beginning of the end when you lose OC's every couple years. Never good for a qb.

This has been proven time and time again.
Reply/Quote
A franchise qb, a still-young team, and a solid defense. We'll be aiiight.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 05:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Remember it took 2 years for Dalton to adjust to a new system. Likely won't be the same with the comfort running the new offense (making changes at line, audible) and such until 2017 season. Unless Zampese takes over.

Cleveland fans are celebrating in the streets. Could this week be any worse!

Andy isn't going to "unlearn" anything that he has gained from any of the coaches in his lifetime...

Cleveland fans are only setting themselves up for their next disappointment.  Hue will only do as well as their ownership allows..  check their last HC's...........

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Zimmer was our head coach right we would be advancing to the next round.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:39 PM)Trademark Wrote: Not feeling to good about the future of this team, we lose two great coaches in Hue and Vance and granted we've been 1 and done in the playoffs under Marvin, let's face it he's turned this franchise around and next season could be his last, i'm nervous who we hire as our OC I really hope we don't go back to Bratkowski, also look at our free agents this season, we had our chance and now our future looks a little bleak :/

Good Lord.  We lost 2 great coaches in Zimmer and Gruden and just had the best season that we've had in years (12-4).

1 and done sucks, but there was something different about the attitude and the results of this team.  It's a shame Dalton got hurt, but you have to like the way AJ played in relief

What looks so bleak?  Free agents?  Who is a free agent that we won't be able to keep with the more than $35 million in cap space that we have.

If anything, I've never been so excited about the next year.  This team has a great roster and they finally started to win big games and primetime games.  All of the losses were close (Arizona, Houston, Denver).

I get that the season didn't end well, but this team turned the corner and the roster is and will be in great shape with Tobin running the show.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:44 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Number 2 scoring defense is better than Zimmer had gotten.

I'm thinking about the unraveling of Burfict.  He has lost his head since Zimmer left.  I think Guenther is too lenient.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 10:59 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: If Zimmer was our head coach right we would be advancing to the next round.

No we wouldn't.   We would have a terrible offense. Zim has the Vikes offense looking hamstrung
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:02 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm thinking about the unraveling of Burfict.  He has lost his head since Zimmer left.  I think Guenther is too lenient.

A lot of Burficts penalties are name driven. Because coaches and players are constantly complaining. Used to only be outside of the division .... Now the steelers are crying about it .... Which is comical. I have never heard the Ravens complain about him... Or the Browns either. Correct me if I am wrong.

Steelers and their fans are upset because burfict has personally taken out their triplets. They seem to think it's on purpose but it just happens.

I will say he got a hello shot on maxx williams from Baltimore in week 17. Bet next time maxx has his head on a swivel.

I know the steelers offensive guys will have their heads on swivels from now on.
Reply/Quote