Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our small school guard
(12-06-2022, 02:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I couldn’t be more impressed with this kid. To be our highest graded player against KC (considering they have Chris Jones) is just flat out remarkable.

Wild, that is insanely impressive. I predicted him to give up a sack or two to Chris Jones. This kid is good.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 07:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wild, that is insanely impressive. I predicted him to give up a sack or two to Chris Jones. This kid is good.

I was worried when our second rounder couldn't beat Volson out of a job during the preseason. It sucks that we seem to have busted on that pick, but Volson is taking care of business.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 07:11 PM)jason Wrote: I was worried when our second rounder couldn't beat Volson out of a job during the preseason. It sucks that we seem to have busted on that pick, but Volson is taking care of business.

Believe we all were worried. 

Yet think Carman was selected for playing so well against Chase Young. Maybe switching sides and positions was not the best move, or maybe he will just never be NFL caliber and sux. 

Think if Carman does not get way better by next camp he will be cut. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 07:11 PM)jason Wrote: I was worried when our second rounder couldn't beat Volson out of a job during the preseason. It sucks that we seem to have busted on that pick, but Volson is taking care of business.

Understandable, does suck with Carman seemingly being a bust but oh well, we just needed a decent LG with our Vets and Volson
is clearly it. He has been honestly better than decent as of late as his grades have shown against elite interior Defenders.

(12-06-2022, 07:32 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe we all were worried. 

Yet think Carman was selected for playing so well against Chase Young. Maybe switching sides and positions was not the best move, or maybe he will just never be NFL caliber and sux. 

Think if Carman does not get way better by next camp he will be cut. 

Think so too, maybe he doesn't have the brains I don't know. I thought physically he would at the very least be a great backup.

But he hasn't been dressing for heck sake.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 07:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Understandable, does suck with Carman seemingly being a bust but oh well, we just needed a decent LG with our Vets and Volson
is clearly it. He has been honestly better than decent as of late as his grades have shown against elite interior Defenders.

Think so too, maybe he doesn't have the brains I don't know. I thought physically he would at the very least be a great backup.

But he hasn't been dressing for heck sake.

True although he is only 22, but the early returns are not promising at all. 

Think he gets one more camp and then gone if he does not get leaps and bounds better. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 03:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: And the sack really belongs to Burrow holding it forever then not throwing it away. 

If you’re referring to the one he took against KC that was charged to Collins, not Volson. And yes, it was 100% on Joe.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:04 PM)Tony Wrote: Is Carman still on the team? What a bust... Maybe we should just draft middle round Olineman...

Volson has been a huge surprise and growing each week. We see Volson, we don't see Carmen. Maybe he is getting better also, just not good enough to beat out Volson. That is my hope. I root for every Bengal to progress. The thing we never know is if Carmen is healthy and why he is not dressing. I am an optimist and he is in year 2 so too early to call him a bust.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2022, 11:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Saw this thread title and was all, "we're going through this, 'small school,' crap again? NDSU isn't a small school!"

Then I see that it was the thread started a couple of weeks ago and I already said my piece LOL

Gunter has played multiple games this year. He had the blocked FG attempt against Miami. (or was it an XP?)

True.  I should have said lost to injury early in season.  I think it was the Miami game where he got hurt and he did block an XP.  Seems to get the "ST is the way to make the club", but as a pass rusher, he looked really good in preseason.  Hope he ends up being a steal, like another Fanane.  
Reply/Quote
I was really hard on Volson in the pre-season and early on. I am pleasantly surprised at how well he has settled in. Really, the entire offensive line looks great.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: True.  I should have said lost to injury early in season.  I think it was the Miami game where he got hurt and he did block an XP.  Seems to get the "ST is the way to make the club", but as a pass rusher, he looked really good in preseason.  Hope he ends up being a steal, like another Fanane.  

He got carted off in the NO game, before the game even started, but returned after the bye, IIRC.

Hasn't gotten a lot of PT though, as our DEs have been doing their thing.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While an FCS school, NDSU is NOT a small school in terms of ability and program.

They'd be a 6-6 bowl team every year if the were in the G5.

Cappa came from a small school, not Volson.

I'd say.. Humboldt U is like way out in weed growing country in N California.. and no longer even has a football program.. Cool  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
When the coaching staff decided to start Volson they KNEW they were throwing him to the wolves the first game against Hayward. They must have had high confidence in him knowing there would be a huge learning curve. He has stepped up and improved every game. What great on the job learning it has been. Now 12 games in he must be feeling really good about his play. The coaches have to be thrilled.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2022, 12:22 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: When the coaching staff decided to start Volson they KNEW they were throwing him to the wolves the first game against Hayward. They must have had high confidence in him knowing there would be a huge learning curve. He has stepped up and improved every game. What great on the job learning it has been. Now 12 games in he must be feeling really good about his play. The coaches have to be thrilled.

Agreed. Must be starting to feel comfortable finally and no longer feeling like a rookie. Those were elite interior Defenders he just 
went against and held his own. Cordell Volson could end up being a top O-lineman in this league, especially with his versatility.
Reply/Quote