Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcoached
Like classic Marvin Lewis, they blow a significant half time lead and look like a completely different team in the second half. AJ Green disappeared. Defense disappeared.

One and done again
Reply/Quote
Yep. Imagine that, the opposing team made some good half-time adjustments and we did not. This got old a long time ago.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincinnati.com Wrote:In the string of four consecutive playoff losses, the Bengals have been within at least a touchdown at halftime of every game - trailing by a combined score of 46-37. In the second halves of the four games, however, the Bengals have gone without a touchdown while being outscored, 57-6.
(from http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/07/28/why-have-bengals-been-battered-second-half--playoff-games/30731653/)

Just another "playoff" game where our team completely changed in the second half.  With the history we have it's hard to make an argument for anything other than a coaching problem.  Why Hue kept calling obvious runs against 8 and 9 man fronts when the short passing game worked in the first half we will probably never know, but that's the main reason we lost.
Reply/Quote
Penalties killed us. Aj green giving up on the big play cost us a td. Nigent missing the field goal.must I continue? Players lost this game. It was a great game and they all played hard. Not all coaches fault.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That was an ugly was to lose.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:42 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Penalties killed us. Aj green giving up on the big play cost us a td. Nigent missing the field goal.must I continue? Players lost this game. It was a great game and they all played hard. Not all coaches fault.

Nugent and Green hurt us.  Burfict gets called for phantom penalties because he's Burfict, so that's on the refs.
Reply/Quote
I mean just because we had the lead, doesn't mean we don't need to make any adjustments. This is what happened last night. They made corrections, and we didn't make any changes and came out the same. End result Marvin gets outcoached again and we lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:19 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: (from http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/07/28/why-have-bengals-been-battered-second-half--playoff-games/30731653/)

Just another "playoff" game where our team completely changed in the second half.  With the history we have it's hard to make an argument for anything other than a coaching problem.  Why Hue kept calling obvious runs against 8 and 9 man fronts when the short passing game worked in the first half we will probably never know, but that's the main reason we lost.

It was NOT another playoff game....the Bengals are still Division Champions, and if they beat Baltimore at home next week they get the bye. Step away from the ledge....
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It was NOT another playoff game....the Bengals are still Division Champions, and if they beat Baltimore at home next week they get the bye. Step away from the ledge....

Wrong.  Denver needs to lose too.

And no, technically it wasn't a playoff game.  But we played a playoff team and had a lot to play for.  They typically blew it in Marvin Lewis fashion.  Take off the blinders
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:09 AM)PApinhead Wrote: Yep.  Imagine that, the opposing team made some good half-time adjustments and we did not.  This got old a long time ago.

We made half time adjustments. We went conservative and didn't counter the Bronco's adjustments. Of course, that's our MO. Denver went from a man cover scheme to a more complex zone in the second half and it confused AJM enough for him to hold the ball too long. That's really the tail of the second half.

What was different was that we had a good first half in prime time. Normally we're out of those games early.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:42 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Penalties killed us. Aj green giving up on the big play cost us a td. Nigent missing the field goal.must I continue? Players lost this game. It was a great game and they all played hard. Not all coaches fault.

Completely disagree.  The coaches run the scheme and the scheme went vanilla once they got a lead.  Very few blitzes and the front four was gassed.  If you didn't see that you are as blind as the coaches were.  

Did you not see how Denver came after us?  That was their adjustment.  The Bengals adjustment was to die slowly and give up 8 ypc to a running back and let a first year (starter) QB have time to read and react.  It was one of the absolute dumbest coaching decisions. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 07:53 AM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: Like classic Marvin Lewis, they blow a significant half time lead and look like a completely different team in the second half. AJ Green disappeared. Defense disappeared.

One and done again

We Lost because we couldnt move the ball in the 2nd half and the defense got gassed.

Problems you have with a backup QB vs the #1 Defense.

(12-29-2015, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely disagree. The coaches run the scheme and the scheme went vanilla once they got a lead. Very few blitzes and the front four was gassed. If you didn't see that you are as blind as the coaches were.

Did you not see how Denver came after us? That was their adjustment. The Bengals adjustment was to die slowly and give up 8 ypc to a running back and let a first year (starter) QB have time to read and react. It was one of the absolute dumbest coaching decisions.

Yep your absolutely right.. I mean wrong... unless your suggesting it was a coaching decision for the players to stop tackling.
Reply/Quote
The inabilty to adjust during quarters is irking, or at least it seems like they are slow/delayed to adjust. Are we all wrong when we say it looks like they don't make visible halftime adjustments? It seems to happen more often than not.

It's annoying when it seems like some of the blame for losses is on coaching. Are the coaches improving as time goes on?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 10:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: We made half time adjustments. We went conservative and didn't counter the Bronco's adjustments. Of course, that's our MO. Denver went from a man cover scheme to a more complex zone in the second half and it confused AJM enough for him to hold the ball too long. That's really the tail of the second half.

What was different was that we had a good first half in prime time. Normally we're out of those games early.

Ah-ha!!!  Notice I said GOOD half-time adjustments.  lol  I understand that the Broncos went from a man scheme to zone, but c'mon!!  You mean to tell me that was new and that Hue has never gone up against a zone scheme before or watched any film of the Broncos doing that?  Or that McCarron has never faced a zone defense before and didn't practice against it at all last week?  Sorry, that was not directed at you, I just get tired of the excuses and the lack of adjustments with this team. 

I put this loss on the coaches.  Even after coming out in the second half and seeing that the Broncos switched to zone, it seems like we didn't adjust to that and kept doing the same thing over and over.  And what about the defense?  We go from only giving up 3 in the first half to 17 in the second?  Why didn't we make adjustments there when we saw what they were doing in the second half. 

I have pretty much always complained about our coaching and probably will continue to do so until they are able to figure out how to make successful second half adjustments.  Why are they not able to do so?

Reply/Quote
Let me guess:

If we would have came out flat, made halftime adjustments, and come up short of a comeback. it would have been classic Marvin not getting his team ready for a big game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 11:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Let me guess:

If we would have came out flat, made halftime adjustments, and come up short of a comeback. it would have been classic Marvin not getting his team ready for a big game.

Yep.  The problem with your scenario is the "made halftime adjustments" part.  How often have we made any good halftime adjustments?  Why is it so difficult to see that our coaches just can't get the job done?  Marvin has had plenty of chances.  Of course the players get some blame for the penalties, drops, etc...but it starts with the coaches when they aren't making the right calls.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 11:03 AM)PApinhead Wrote: Ah-ha!!!  Notice I said GOOD half-time adjustments.  lol  I understand that the Broncos went from a man scheme to zone, but c'mon!!  You mean to tell me that was new and that Hue has never gone up against a zone scheme before or watched any film of the Broncos doing that?  Or that McCarron has never faced a zone defense before and didn't practice against it at all last week?  Sorry, that was not directed at you, I just get tired of the excuses and the lack of adjustments with this team. 

I put this loss on the coaches.  Even after coming out in the second half and seeing that the Broncos switched to zone, it seems like we didn't adjust to that and kept doing the same thing over and over.  And what about the defense?  We go from only giving up 3 in the first half to 17 in the second?  Why didn't we make adjustments there when we saw what they were doing in the second half. 

I have pretty much always complained about our coaching and probably will continue to do so until they are able to figure out how to make successful second half adjustments.  Why are they not able to do so?

I was agreeing with you. The coaches have probably seen most everything the other teams can do over the years. But AJM has hardly seen a fraction of what another defense can throw his way.

The defense also got warn down. That didn't help.

If we actually win a playoff game in the first round, we could be back in Denver again in a few weeks. Of course, I won't be holding my breath that we get that far.

The way it is now we'll be hosting the Jets in the first round. Marv against Boles. Who will be more bright at the helm?

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 11:13 AM)PApinhead Wrote: Yep.  The problem with your scenario is the "made halftime adjustments" part.  How often have we made any good halftime adjustments?  Why is it so difficult to see that our coaches just can't get the job done?  Marvin has had plenty of chances.  Of course the players get some blame for the penalties, drops, etc...but it starts with the coaches when they aren't making the right calls.

We've had plenty good second halfs this year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 11:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I was agreeing with you. The coaches have probably seen most everything the other teams can do over the years. But AJM has hardly seen a fraction of what another defense can throw his way.

The defense also got warn down. That didn't help.

If we actually win a playoff game in the first round, we could be back in Denver again in a few weeks. Of course, I won't be holding my breath that we get that far.

The way it is now we'll be hosting the Jets in the first round. Marv against Boles. Who will be more bright at the helm?

I thought you were, sorry if it seemed like I was arguing with you.  Hue should have adjusted to McCarron being a little confused or flustered by the defense and he didn't, which led to multiple 3 and outs and the defense wearing down.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either.  Unfortunately, I'll go with Boles being brighter at the helm.  I have seen nothing from Marvin to make me think he would be.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 11:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had plenty good second halfs this year.

I wouldn't say plenty.

Reply/Quote