Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oz and Walker
(10-29-2022, 12:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is 100% bullshit.  Norm MacDonald was brutally attacked and had bookings canceled because he used the term "******" and had an "unacceptable" take on the Louis CK and Roseanne cancelling's.  His take was apparently so "toxic" that staff at The Tonight Show were literally crying about his potentially appearing on the show, resulting in the booking being cancelled.  People are "cancelled" all the time for things they wrote or tweeted years, if not decades ago.  Unless you're a far lefter like Joy Reid, then you get to type homophobic blog posts, then lie about not writing them and being "hacked", then have the authorities state there is no evidence of hacking then giving a less than halfassed apology and then it all goes away.  If I were so inclined I could literally list hundreds of instances of cancel culture.

Yep. I'm firnly on the left ideologically, but I would have liked to make the same point (maybe sans the Joy Reid part, but I assume it's a legit one). Cancel culture is a real nuisance and far from just made up, and should SSF ever run out of examples, I'd gladly add a hundred more.

(Of course conservative victimhood is also a thing.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 03:09 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yep. I'm firnly on the left ideologically, but I would have liked to make the same point (maybe sans the Joy Reid part, but I assume it's a legit one). Cancel culture is a real nuisance and far from just made up, and should SSF ever run out of examples, I'd gladly add a hundred more.

Yeah, as a fan of stand-up comedy I get tired of the way society has tended to be overly sensitive with things. Now, folks like Louis C.K. deserve the shit they get, but so many times I am just like "don't listen if you don't like them!" I am that way with several comedians.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2022, 03:09 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yep. I'm firnly on the left ideologically, but I would have liked to make the same point (maybe sans the Joy Reid part, but I assume it's a legit one). Cancel culture is a real nuisance and far from just made up, and should SSF ever run out of examples, I'd gladly add a hundred more.

Cancel culture is a direct result of the fact that entities on both ends of the political spectrum have either consciously or unintentionally come to the same sad conclusion. They realize full well that there are way more votes and clicks in demonizing ideological rivals than in actual ideas, of which they have practically none of value.
If you're an unlikable, unrelatable asshole you still have to get some people to get on board if you want power.  The only way to do that is to make the opposition look even worse.  
Reply/Quote
I'd rather not start an entire thread for this one Tweet, but man, Tim Ryan is looking really bad on Twitter right now.  Several tweets flat out begging for money.  It's a really desperate look.

https://twitter.com/TimRyan/status/1587195084654747652

Quote:I’m at my wits’ end. I don’t know what else I can say. If we don’t meet our final end-of-month fundraising deadline tonight, we risk losing this race—and Ohio could fall off the map.
— Tim Ryan (@TimRyan) October 31, 2022
Reply/Quote
More on topic, and very surprising. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette endorsed Oz over Fetterman. Now, I'm not a PA native, and maybe some of them can shed more light, but my understanding is that both Philly and Pitt are reliable Dem voting areas. That being said, Philly is by far the more deep blue city. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, could conceivably swing to the red given certain circumstances. I don't know how big a deal a newspaper endorsement is in PA now, here in CA it's a mixed bag to be sure, but you have to think that this is a huge gain for OZ and a really bad sign for Fetterman.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3713252-pittsburgh-post-gazette-endorses-oz-citing-fettermans-lack-of-transparency/
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2022, 09:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: More on topic, and very surprising.  The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette endorsed Oz over Fetterman.  Now, I'm not a PA native, and maybe some of them can shed more light, but my understanding is that both Philly and Pitt are reliable Dem voting areas.  That being said, Philly is by far the more deep blue city.  Pittsburgh, on the other hand, could conceivably swing to the red given certain circumstances.  I don't know how big a deal a newspaper endorsement is in PA now, here in CA it's a mixed bag to be sure, but you have to think that this is a huge gain for OZ and a really bad sign for Fetterman.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3713252-pittsburgh-post-gazette-endorses-oz-citing-fettermans-lack-of-transparency/

The city of Pittsburgh may belong to the Democrats but the newspaper is owned by a staunch conservative.  Editorially it is pro-MAGA and pro-Trump.  This endorsement was expected

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2022, 09:29 PM)pally Wrote: The city of Pittsburgh may belong to the Democrats but the newspaper is owned by a staunch conservative.  Editorially it is pro-MAGA and pro-Trump.  This endorsement was expected

Yeah, the PPG is pretty conservative. It makes sense given that even though Pittsburgh is pretty blue, the surround areas are much less so.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 06:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, the PPG is pretty conservative. It makes sense given that even though Pittsburgh is pretty blue, the surround areas are much less so.

Here is the 2020 election map, and yes PA has islands of blue in a sea of red, for sure.

[Image: 450px-Pennsylvania_Presidential_Election...20.svg.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Here is the 2020 election map, and yes PA has islands of blue in a sea of red, for sure.

[Image: 450px-Pennsylvania_Presidential_Election...20.svg.png]

Those islands of blue are the population bases of the state which is important to remember.  We can't focus solely on geography

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:23 AM)pally Wrote: Those islands of blue are the population bases of the state which is important to remember.  We can't focus solely on geography

I know that, and I also know that Trump 2016 was the one time PA went blue since Bush beat Dukakis in 88.  With that being said, the point was that you can leave Pittsburgh and Philly and think you're in a red state pretty quickly.

I live in NW PA and there are a bunch of confederate flags around me and the local county and town fairs are just loaded with right wing merch booths and at least one band playing CCR's Fortunate Son and missing the point of the song.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know that, and I also know that Trump 2016 was the one time PA went blue since Bush beat Dukakis in 88.  With that being said, the point was that you can leave Pittsburgh and Philly and think you're in a red state pretty quickly.

I live in NW PA and there are a bunch of confederate flags around me and the local county and town fairs are just loaded with right wing merch booths and at least one band playing CCR's Fortunate Son and missing the point of the song.

Ohio is not much different.  Cincinnati hasn't been called the northernmost southern city for nothing

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: Ohio is not much different.  Cincinnati hasn't been called the northernmost southern city for nothing

Ohio is just a flat out red stronghold now, isn't it?  Other than an unknown in Trump beating a weak ass Hillary, PA hasn't been all that red in a while.  Though the seat OZ and Fetterman are gunning for has been red since 2011.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2022, 09:29 PM)pally Wrote: The city of Pittsburgh may belong to the Democrats but the newspaper is owned by a staunch conservative.  Editorially it is pro-MAGA and pro-Trump.  This endorsement was expected

(11-01-2022, 06:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, the PPG is pretty conservative. It makes sense given that even though Pittsburgh is pretty blue, the surround areas are much less so.

Thank you both.  I always appreciate a more local take on these things.  Yes, I know you're in VA Bel, but it's a damn site closer than me.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ohio is just a flat out red stronghold now, isn't it?  Other than an unknown in Trump beating a weak ass Hillary, PA hasn't been all that red in a while.  Though the seat OZ and Fetterman are gunning for has been red since 2011.

Ohio is a 53-48 state.  We elected progressive Sherrod Brown to the senate 4 years ago so all hope isn't lost.  The state has been badly gerrymandered with maps our own Supreme Court has ruled against multiple times.  We were ordered to use them anyway by 3 Republican federal judges.  This means our state house has given the Republicans a supermajority which they've taken advantage of to suppress Democratic votes.

The Senate race between Ryan and Vance will be interesting.  The polls have been razor-thin.  Republicans don't even like Vance but the Republican governor is likely to easily win re-election. For Ryan to win, he is going to need people to either split their votes or skip voting for the Senate, so I don't think anyone has any real idea what is going to happen next week.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know that, and I also know that Trump 2016 was the one time PA went blue since Bush beat Dukakis in 88.  With that being said, the point was that you can leave Pittsburgh and Philly and think you're in a red state pretty quickly.

I live in Indiana County.

When I moved here 21 years ago, I was told that between Philly and Pittsburgh is Mississippi. 

I'm seeing those Confederate flags and Trump Oz Mastriano signs along all the country roads between here (Indiana)
and Johnstown, where I drive twice a week. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 08:52 PM)Dill Wrote: I live in Indiana County.

When I moved here 21 years ago, I was told that between Philly and Pittsburgh is Mississippi. 

I'm seeing those Confederate flags and Trump Oz Mastriano signs along all the country roads between here (Indiana)
and Johnstown, where I drive twice a week. 

Maybe this is just the nature of the whole Trump thing, but there are way more Shapiro and Fetterman signs here than there were Biden signs for 2020.  But yea, PA is pretty damn rural outside of the cities.
Reply/Quote
i cant support walker for a few reasons. if i lived in georgia i would rather have warnok. at least hes a man of god even if he is left. walker is the opposite of a man of god an would be a disgrace.

with oz yes hes fake and a tv guy but fedderman is just not ready to be a leader of any thing. hes been all over the place with his crazy ideas. at least oz has been a respectd doc and has success in business. i support oz in that one.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 07:33 PM)Leon Wrote: i cant support walker for a few reasons. if i lived in georgia i would rather have warnok. at least hes a man of god even if he is left. walker is the opposite of a man of god an would be a disgrace.

with oz yes hes fake and a tv guy but fedderman is just not ready to be a leader of any thing. hes been all over the place with his crazy ideas. at least oz has been a respectd doc and has success in business. i support oz in that one.

I'll agree with you on Walker, because that guy just embodies the worst of "what's in it for me?" faux-Christianity.  The guy seems smug about how much bad stuff he's done and how it doesn't matter because he's Christian.  

Fetterman is the Lieutenant Governor of PA, and while I don't really know if that means anything, it is a political office for what it's worth.  Oz isn't exactly respected, he's successful in part due to fraud, and I just don't care of the type of people who admit while under oath that they intentionally mislead people regarding medical advice or heath recommendations...or anything, really. Our society loves to hang on the word of people who have admitted that they are stretching the truth, or lying, or "playing a character" on TV.

I understand the knocks on Fetterman, but Oz the celebrity conman suddenly wanting to join the senate so he can improve my life throws up as many red flags as those emails I get where my uncle I never heard of left me a billion bucks and I just need to send a few thousand to Nigeria up front before I get it. 

At any rate, it sure seems like Walker and Oz are going to win, so while I can't forsee a manner in which Walker is the best man for the job, I hope Oz is suddenly interested in enriching someone other than himself.  It could happen...Oz himself could probably recommend a miracle pill for me that would make me believe in him.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll agree with you on Walker, because that guy just embodies the worst of "what's in it for me?" faux-Christianity.  The guy seems smug about how much bad stuff he's done and how it doesn't matter because he's Christian.  

Fetterman is the Lieutenant Governor of PA, and while I don't really know if that means anything, it is a political office for what it's worth.  Oz isn't exactly respected, he's successful in part due to fraud, and I just don't care of the type of people who admit while under oath that they intentionally mislead people regarding medical advice or heath recommendations...or anything, really.  Our society loves to hang on the word of people who have admitted that they are stretching the truth, or lying, or "playing a character" on TV.

I understand the knocks on Fetterman, but Oz the celebrity conman suddenly wanting to join the senate so he can improve my life throws up as many red flags as those emails I get where my uncle I never heard of left me a billion bucks and I just need to send a few thousand to Nigeria up front before I get it. 

At any rate, it sure seems like Walker and Oz are going to win, so while I can't forsee a manner in which Walker is the best man for the job, I hope Oz is suddenly interested in enriching someone other than himself.  It could happen...Oz himself could probably recommend a miracle pill for me that would make me believe in him.

i dont think walker wins at all. for oz i would say at least he was a great surgoen an that actually did help lots a folks in a very real way. no matter how you like his tv an business side, he was a good doc an his ideas aint as radical as feddermans. i think oz an warnok both win 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 08:02 PM)Leon Wrote: i dont think walker wins at all. for oz i would say at least he was a great surgoen an that actually did help lots a folks in a very real way. no matter how you like his tv an business side, he was a good doc an his ideas aint as radical as feddermans. i think oz an warnok both win 

So Oz quit helping people to con them. I'm just not convinced he's turning back to the good side.  I'm also leery of sending a message that celebrites turning politician is the next big thing

Oz also pretends he has no idea about the cases against Trump.  You'd think him being a sneaky devious money grubbing Muslim would turn off most Republicans.  
Reply/Quote