• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PFF Blocking Grades - Week 2
Holy shit this tweet went hard… :lol:

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Otoh this is pretty encouraging.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:51 PM)tms Wrote: Church it up? What are you, f 11-years-old? Grow up little boy. You'll be fine. The team actually has no direct impact on your life. If you need a football team to play well in order for you to feel better about yourself, the problem is in the mirror.

"Except nobody is worried about Mixon getting hit at a record setting pace..." - who TF said anything about Mixon?! Record setting pace?! WTF is that?! Don't hang those words on me. You're just talking to yourself. Like I said: mirror.  Take your snark and smear it all over that lol

Holy butt hurt Batman.

You're happy with their overall grade - which means including their run blocking grades. Those are your words.

I'm not getting bent out of shape about anything. I'm simply saying nobody should be satisfied with this line. If you are, good on you.

Relax.
Reply/Quote
Collins and Cappa missed a fair amount of time in training camp it's taking awhile to get in game form.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hard to run at a guy who is not there when think he will be he moves all over

He's typically left, sometimes right.  Easy to check into at the line
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is what alarms me as well. I expected him to take another jump this year. It's been the opposite.

To the OP, some pretty terrible numbers mixed with decent, but Volson's grade is encouraging. 

(09-19-2022, 02:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: You may be right about worrying about the green LG. Something is definitely up, because he has been trending up ever since he started playing. Until last week.....

The good news is as Volson gains confidence we should see everyone especially Jonah looking better.

Still is really early even if we dug ourselves a deep hole because of poor OL play due to lack of chemistry.

Just saw La'el isn't practicing, this is what is alarming me right now. We have to win this game, need to turn this around.

We have lost 3 straight games including the SB. Stop this bad streak please against the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Otoh this is pretty encouraging.

Nice. Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: why attack Volson when the tackles cant pass block for shit?

Both tackles can't handle speed rushers.  If it was someone like Dunlap, I don't think he gets by either of them, but both are fat and slow.  Bad characteristics for a tackle.  

I think Jonah will get there.  He has notoriously started slow.  Collins, with little to no practice time, would need a minor miracle to suddenly be good just by playing in games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Both tackles can't handle speed rushers.  If it was someone like Dunlap, I don't think he gets by either of them, but both are fat and slow.  Bad characteristics for a tackle.  

I think Jonah will get there.  He has notoriously started slow.  Collins, with little to no practice time, would need a minor miracle to suddenly be good just by playing in games.  

Jonah is fat and slow?

[Image: E1B0gF6XMAIWSab.jpg]

Granted this was from last offseason, but I’ve always thought he was in pretty good shape for one of the big guys.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Williams:
Overall = 45.9
Pass Block (PB) = 51.6
Run Block (RB) = 37.9
Sacks = 1
Hits = 1
Hurries = 1
Penalties = 0

Volson:
Overall = 66.8
PB = 87.6
RB = 55.4
Sacks = 0
Hits = 0
Hurries = 0
Penalties = 0

Karras:
Overall = 68.4
PB = 70.1
RB = 73.5
Sacks = 0
Hits = 0
Hurries = 3
Penalties = 1

Cappa:
Overall = 67.8
PB = 63.7
RB = 75.0
Sacks = 1
Hits = 0
Hurries = 0
Penalties = 1

Collins:
Overall = 64.8
PB = 27.3
RB = 95.1
Sacks = 1
Hits = 2
Hurries = 2
Penalties = 1

Collins was the worst pass blocker, followed by Williams.
Williams was the worst run blocker, followed by Volson.
Team having much better success running right vs left.

.....O-line stats................New 3 starter stats, Karras, Cappa, LC

Sacks...................3..........2
Hits......................3..........2
Hurries.................5..........5
Penalties...............3..........3

People are saying Volson looked good per average DT's and opponent attacking our weak Tackles, but 3 of the 5 hurries, 1 of the 3 sacks, and 2 of the 3 penalties came against Karras and Cappa ? 

Collectively the new 3 FA were responsible for

All 5 Hurries
All 3 penalties
2 of the 3 Hits
2 of 3 of the Sacks

Hopefully it's lack of chemistry together and believe that to be the case. 

Yet more puzzling is Jonah playing so lethargic in a contract year. I come out of this feeling better about Volson but not the O-line as a unit, yet anyway. Hoping for an awakening Sunday though

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Seems like the interior, which has been a huge problem since 2016, might be approaching the point of being shored up. This is big. Pressure from the edges killed them last week, but pressure up the gut is a quarterback's worst nightmare and it was a major factor in the Super Bowl.

I don't think Jonah has ever approached elite, but he's never been egregiously bad as he was last week, either. Perhaps the game was an outlier or more likely a result of playing a team with an elite-level and highly versatile chess piece like Parsons. Most teams don't have that kind of player. They can put guys in that role, but the talent level isn't the same.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the line. Any line takes time to become cohesive, but the talent seems to be there for the most part. Unfortunately, we have to be concerned about whether or not Burrow will still be himself mentally or physically be the time the group can consistently play well.

Side note: Why can other teams scheme around elite players like Watt and Parsons (at least to some extent), yet the Bengals seem pretend they're just another guy on the field? There seemed to be no plan to neutralize those 2 in either game, and they feasted in a major way. You have to at least try to take out the guy that you know can hurt you. If that means other guys on the defense beat you, then so be it. This team has been taken to the woodshed in three straight games by 3 elite defensive players that they had literally no answer for. Good players are going to eat, but there needs to be a more effective game plan to limit that from being the case on a weekly basis.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 09:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jonah is fat and slow?

Granted this was from last offseason, but I’ve always thought he was in pretty good shape for one of the big guys.

Yes, look at him against Dallas.  He looks like he put on the wrong weight and is playing very slow.  Judging by how everyone at training camp was also noting how Trey was destroying him, his piss poor play thus far shouldn't be a surprise.  I was in the camp to give him his fifth year and thought he was ascending.  

To be fair, he could have fought through an injury and had an offseason surgery or something.  I don't know about anything like that, but he appears to be heavier in the belly and slower in the legs.   Hope he reverses that.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, look at him against Dallas.  He looks like he put on the wrong weight and is playing very slow.  Judging by how everyone at training camp was also noting how Trey was destroying him, his piss poor play thus far shouldn't be a surprise.  I was in the camp to give him his fifth year and thought he was ascending.  

To be fair, he could have fought through an injury and had an offseason surgery or something.  I don't know about anything like that, but he appears to be heavier in the belly and slower in the legs.   Hope he reverses that.  

Feel most of the team got complacent in the offseason believing they had arrived as an elite team instead of grinding to prove they belong amongst the elite.

Hopefully they wake up and are able to reverse this mindset. 

They've already had their rude awakening and just hope it's reversible before it's too late.. 

These next two games during only a 5 day stretch  will tell if we have much to look forward to or not. 

I still believe presently  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We could have the reincarnation of Anthony Munoz out there and it wouldn't matter with four other heavyset mannequins out there.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 10:38 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Feel most of the team got complacent in the offseason believing they had arrived as an elite team instead of grinding to prove they belong amongst the elite.

Hopefully they wake up and are able to reverse this mindset. 

They've already had their rude awakening already and just hope it's reversible before it's too late.. 

These next two games during only a 5 day stretch  will tell if we have much to look forward to or not. 

I still believe presently  

I think you are correct. We will see, like you said, this was a rude awakening. No more Superbowl talk, start winning 
games damn it. I am counting 3 losses in a row right now in games that matter, need to turn this around and start 
looking like that team that beat the Chiefs twice last January. This isn't that team we have been watching the first 2 
weeks. Could of won both games but coulda, woulda, shoulda...
Reply/Quote
I don't trust PFF very much, but we clearly have problems all across our O-line.

Burrow may be holding onto the ball too long at times, but he is still facing too much pressure.

And we suck at running the ball. That is even a bigger surprise to me than the sketchy pass blocking.

These players are not scrubs. We have to look at the coaching if this unit does not improve a lot very fast.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, look at him against Dallas.  He looks like he put on the wrong weight and is playing very slow.  Judging by how everyone at training camp was also noting how Trey was destroying him, his piss poor play thus far shouldn't be a surprise.  I was in the camp to give him his fifth year and thought he was ascending.  

Or Pollack has got into his (and the other OLs') head to play a certain way, which could be mentally affecting how he plays?
Not saying that's what is happening, but it could be a possibility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 09:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jonah is fat and slow?

Yes. For a lineman, he's in good shape definately.
Reply/Quote