Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Draft Grades
(04-28-2024, 09:40 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: We had a good draft and I think we got some good players. Especially Mims. But we can’t just be like, oh Hendrickson might retire so don’t worry we addressed it with a 6th round DE. All good, bye Trey!

We used a 1st on Murphy and he can’t even replace what Hendrickson brings. I think the most we can say is we got a RT who can play if need to, due to injury. We got a couple DT that we needed, hopefully they can help stop the run. We got a couple TE- we’ll see but we needed to fill that position. We got a WR who should be starting #3. He should beat out Andrei and Jones. And the rest is a giant question mark, odds are they are all back ups or irrelevant in a couple years.

Every fan base thinks they got better after this weekend. And they did. But did they get better than their competitors?

What DE in this draft is going to give you 17.5 sacks? Hendrickson isn't going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:04 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What DE in this draft is going to give you 17.5 sacks? Hendrickson isn't going anywhere.

ZT said over the weekend, he is going nowhere. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 09:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Realistically, barring injury, Burton might be the only guy we see much of this season.
Burton will be WR3/4 in the offense.

Jenkins (and likely Jackson) will be in the rotation this season, but that will limit snaps.

Mims won't see much time on the field in games at all as long as the Browns are healthy.

This was a draft primarily to develop for next year's departing guys.

I think we will see Mims a little more than we think. There's the jumbo package and I think he will spell Williams at times. I hope Williams doesn't get hurt, but Mims is here just in case.
I do agree that we took players for the future. It allows us to cut vets at the end of their term and not rely on rookies to keep the train running. Great planning!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 10:02 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think this is the best objective synopsis I’ve seen. I think it’s a B not B-.  But it has a potential to be much much better. https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-2024-nfl-draft-class-final-grades/

Yep this is right about where I'm at too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We'll see Jenkins and Jackson regularly as they are half of the DT room. Mims we'll see in spots early and more by season's end. Burton will also be seen some.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:14 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I think we will see Mims a little more than we think. There's the jumbo package and I think he will spell Williams at times. I hope Williams doesn't get hurt, but Mims is here just in case.
I do agree that we took players for the future. It allows us to cut vets at the end of their term and not rely on rookies to keep the train running. Great planning!

Jonah Williams who is no longer on the team?
You mean Trent Brown?

I think if anything, it would be just as an extra OL, but that's few snaps.
I mean unless injury occurs to Trent or Orlando, we won't see Mims for 300+ snaps this rookie season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I feel everyone has a different criterion of what constitutes a great draft.

Years ago, the Bengals were very bad, needed 2 to 3 immediate starters. We got them, but they were not ready to start in many cases.

I feel the FO did a good job of filling our needs in FA and with the 2023 draft. i believe Turner who was forced to start due to injuries at CB will be better with the experience in 2024. I think Murphy is a great athlete and it will pay off in 2024 and beyond. Trey is in a class above most on our team and Hiubbard is solid when healthy so tough to take away starting snaps at DE.

We need guys from 2022 and 2023 draft to break out in 2024. If so, if we have 2 guys who make contributions in 2024 and we can keep Joe healthy, the team is definitely a playoff team. Many forget Joe B. started 2023 not healthy and a sitting duck in the pocket, then gets hurt and lost for the year. We still went 9-8.

We were horrid against the AFCN going 1-5 in 2023. That means our 2023 roster even with injuries to Joe B., Chase, Higgins and Reader was 8-4 against the rest of their schedule. They went to SF and demolished the NFC champ.

Every team thinks they are better after the draft and FA. Our key will always be a healthy Joe Burrow. Let's hope and pray he stays 100% the entire 2024 year, if so I think we can beat any team anywhere with this roster. I also hope we add either a vet CB or a guard like Peat or Risner to challenge Volson.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Jonah Williams who is no longer on the team?
You mean Trent Brown?

I mean unless injury occurs to Trent or Orlando, we won't see Mims for 300+ snaps this rookie season.

I want our team peaking in November or December. Can you say with 100% certainty Mims won't beat out Brown? The Bengals have a very small investment in Brown, he is paid like a backup RT already. 

I love Mims and Brown will compete for a starting job in 2024. Now, we need someone to come in via FA and challenge Volson in camp as well.

Reply/Quote
Bengals got 7 of the top 150 according to Daniel Jeremiah:

https://www.nfl.com/news/best-prospects-available-in-the-2024-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Jonah Williams who is no longer on the team?
You mean Trent Brown?

Good lord, total goof on my part..LMAO
Yes Brown... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: We'll see Jenkins and Jackson regularly as they are half of the DT room. Mims we'll see in spots early and more by season's end. Burton will also be seen some.

I may be wrong, but I think we will see Burton a lot. The Ravens hit on Flowers a year ago, it is not uncommon for a rookie WR to play a lot in the NFL. I think Worthy will play a lot for the Chiefs and there are 3 other WR's taken in top 10 who will definitely start immediately if healthy. 

I think Burton will benefit from teams having to focus on Chase, Higgins and Gesicki. The good news for him is he does not have to be WR1 or WR2 for us. I see him challenging Jones for time on the field. Jones to me is more possession and Burton is more of a vertical threat. 

I am very excited about our offense in 2024. 

Reply/Quote
Kiper gave us a "B'. He said we reached for Burton and a couple of others. My problem with guys like Kiper is they make their big board and if the team grabs guys only he ranked in similar spots, he gives them an "A". He never takes into account a team with 10 picks versus a team with 5 or 6 picks.

I will add listening to him every time a guy is picked, he seems to rave about them.

Our draft may be a 'B" which is OK if our FA was also a "B". Our off season equals the sum of addition minus subtraction using all off season moves.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: CINCINNATI BENGALS: B+

1 (18): T Amarius Mims, Georgia
2 (49): DI Kris Jenkins, Michigan
3 (80): WR Jermaine Burton, Alabama
3 (96): DI McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M
4 (115): TE Erick All, Iowa
5 (149): CB Josh Newton, TCU
6 (194): TE Tanner McLachlan, Arizona
6 (214): EDGE Cedric Johnson, Ole Miss
7 (224): S Daijahn Anthony, Ole Miss
7 (237): C Matt Lee, Miami Fl.

Mims — Cincinnati beefs up its pass protection in front of Joe Burrow by adding the massive Mims. He’s a fantastic athlete for his size but struggled with injuries at Georgia. Regardless, he allowed just six quarterback pressures across 402 career pass-blocking snaps and should start very soon, as Trent Brown is only a short-term solution at right tackle.

Jenkins — Jenkins is arguably the pound-for-pound strongest player in the draft. His 87.2 run-defense grade since 2022 ranked fifth among Power Five interior defenders, while his 82.7 PFF grade in 2023 ranked third among Big Ten interior defenders. Jenkins lacks length and an ideal pass-rush package, but his power alone will have him on the field on Sundays.

Burton — Despite sliding a bit due to some off-field concerns, Burton has a three-level skill set with great explosiveness and impressive ball skills. He didn’t drop any of his 57 targets this past season and could be a solid complement to Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins from Day 1 due to his downfield playmaking ability.

Jackson — Jackson projects as a nose or three-technique in a 4-3 defensive scheme because he excels as a one-gap penetrator. He’s limited by a lack of length, but that didn’t stop him from racking up 34 run stops since 2022 (third-most in the SEC) with 14 of them for no gain or loss (fifth in the SEC). He’ll need to learn to hold up to double team blocks and develop a pass-rush repertoire, but he can be successful in a rotation.

All — The Bengals find a potential long-term starter in the fourth round, with All ranking as the third-best tight end on the PFF big board. His 2.62 yards per route in 2023 ranked second among draft-eligible tight ends.

Newton — Ranking 12th among Big-12 cornerbacks, Newton earned an 87.7 PFF grade combined over the past two seasons. Across 413 coverage snaps last year, he allowed just one touchdown.

McLachlan — The Bengals doubled up on tight ends by adding the safe-handed McLachlan. He didn’t drop a single pass from 45 catchable targets in 2023. His 530 receiving yards and four touchdowns were both career highs.

Johnson — Johnson has a solid size-speed combination for an edge defender this late in the draft and offered solid production in his final season in college. From 850 pass-rushing snaps over the past three seasons, he racked up 107 quarterback pressures, including 13 sacks.

Anthony — Anthony allowed just one touchdown across 394 coverage snaps in 2023. Opposing quarterbacks managed a passer rating of just 54.7 when targeting him in coverage.

Lee — Lee was exceptional in 2023 with the Hurricanes, ranking 10th among FBS centers in PFF grade (79.1). He didn’t allow a single sack on 414 pass-blocking snaps, and his 89.1 PFF pass-blocking grade ranked third among FBS centers. Lee is well worth a swing here for the Bengals, a team that continues to find value late in the draft.

Thanks for this perspective. 

My initial thoughts were very positive at the top and that Day 3 was a train wreck. 

I still think Day 3 was poor, but this has me feeling a bit better.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I may be wrong, but I think we will see Burton a lot. The Ravens hit on Flowers a year ago, it is not uncommon for a rookie WR to play a lot in the NFL. I think Worthy will play a lot for the Chiefs and there are 3 other WR's taken in top 10 who will definitely start immediately if healthy. 

I think Burton will benefit from teams having to focus on Chase, Higgins and Gesicki. The good news for him is he does not have to be WR1 or WR2 for us. I see him challenging Jones for time on the field. Jones to me is more possession and Burton is more of a vertical threat. 

I am very excited about our offense in 2024. 

I watched both days of Pro Football Focus’s draft coverage and those guys were AMAZING

Only criticism is it seemed like every pick got at least a B grade

Seemed like they were being nice to a lot of guys but they gave good info on every damn prospect

Not one prospect got a lazy profile

Just amazing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Kiper gave us a "B'. He said we reached for Burton and a couple of others. My problem with guys like Kiper is they make their big board and if the team grabs guys only he ranked in similar spots, he gives them an "A". He never takes into account a team with 10 picks versus a team with 5 or 6 picks.

I will add listening to him every time a guy is picked, he seems to rave about them.

Our draft may be a 'B" which is OK if our FA was also a "B". Our off season equals the sum of addition minus subtraction using all off season moves.

each person has different perspectives. PFF had them at B+, Goodberry gave them a C+. I think B is fair

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I want our team peaking in November or December. Can you say with 100% certainty Mims won't beat out Brown? The Bengals have a very small investment in Brown, he is paid like a backup RT already. 

I love Mims and Brown will compete for a starting job in 2024. Now, we need someone to come in via FA and challenge Volson in camp as well.

As a rookie? I don't see him beating him out this season.
I think he'll serve the entire year as swing tackle and take over at RT next year once Brown is gone.
Bengals haven't traditionally moved a veteran to backup unless that veteran was playing like hot garbage like Nick Scott last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 11:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: We'll see Jenkins and Jackson regularly as they are half of the DT room. Mims we'll see in spots early and more by season's end. Burton will also be seen some.

Define "regularly" in your eyes.

Are you talking ~200 snaps?

Snaps of the backups last year:
Tupou - 287 (32%)
Carter - 500
Tufele - 96

Jenkins isn't gonna offer much in the pass rush, at least not initially. He's likely gonna be a 2-down guy and we'll see both Rankins and Hill in on passing downs.
Jackson is traditional NT who will also come out on passing downs.

Carter or Tufele will make the roster and still see some snaps too. I think it would be Carter, as he's more of a 3T backup compared to the newly-added DTs.

I think collectively we may see the two new DTs for ~400-500 reps, but I don't consider individually they'll play much of a role.
The only guy I think this year who could get 400+ reps individually could be Burton, but he'll have to beat out Jones, Iosivas, and Irwin for WR3 reps.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 12:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As a rookie? I don't see him beating him out this season.
I think he'll serve the entire year as swing tackle and take over at RT next year once Brown is gone.
Bengals haven't traditionally moved a veteran to backup unless that veteran was playing like hot garbage like Nick Scott last year.

I hope you are correct and both our starting OT's take every snap, but Brown has not done that last couple of years.

My hope is the best OT wins the job, I don't care if Mims or Brown.

Reply/Quote
3 things that concerns me. 1 is we didn't draft a player for the new return rules. 2 Mims feels like a boom or bust pick you want to stay out of that with a round 1 selection No RB competition we definitely could use another. That why I grade this draft a B-
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2024, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Kiper gave us a "B'. He said we reached for Burton and a couple of others. My problem with guys like Kiper is they make their big board and if the team grabs guys only he ranked in similar spots, he gives them an "A". He never takes into account a team with 10 picks versus a team with 5 or 6 picks.

Who? Oh, that guy from ESPN that gave the Bengals 2019 draft an A-, calling it one of the three best drafts that year? Yeah, he sure has a ton of credibility.
Reply/Quote