Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades vs 49ers
(11-01-2023, 01:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Volson actually had a pretty good game...but you don't want to hear that. 

he had a good game for his standards. Good run blocking per usual. Pass blocking is still poor

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 01:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he had a good game for his standards. Good run blocking per usual. Pass blocking is still poor

I honestly still don't love how many hits Burrow is taking in games. Whether its lack of pass protection or by him taking off and running. Dude needs to learn to slide. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 10:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jonah making you all eat that crow

(10-30-2023, 10:58 PM)chrisball96 Wrote:

via GIPHY

Me as well, it is tasty. Hope we can bring back Jonah after this season. Probably not though, will have to add another RT in FA.

Cannot rely on the Draft as we have seen. Volson had his best game against the 49ers but he has been bad all season before this.

Carman evidently isn't the answer either from what we saw in Preseason where he was pretty terrible in pass pro.

My main critique of Pollack is he cannot develop young OL, at least not so far.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 01:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I honestly still don't love how many hits Burrow is taking in games. Whether its lack of pass protection or by him taking off and running. Dude needs to learn to slide. 

He knows how to slide, I think that he just wanted to take that 20 yard run the distance and score.  He absolutely looked like a man on a mission, with something to prove.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He knows how to slide, I think that he just wanted to take that 20 yard run the distance and score.  He absolutely looked like a man on a mission, with something to prove.

It can be a little spooky at times with Burrow when he runs for sure, but no one can deny his toughness.

As many say, Joe Burrow is just a football player. I also wish he would get good at sliding but sometimes that is dangerous 
just the same as going head first.
Reply/Quote
Give credit where it's due. Volson had some really nice plays in here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Also a lot of analysts have called out PFF over the absurdly low grading of OBJr.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: Also a lot of analysts have called out PFF over the absurdly low grading of OBJr.

Idk. Watch the footage of the game. Bosa is throwing OBJr around

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk. Watch the footage of the game. Bosa is throwing OBJr around

I didn't really notice it as much when I watched the game the first time around. But they say Bosa had like 8 pressures in this game.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't really notice it as much when I watched the game the first time around. But they say Bosa had like 8 pressures in this game.

and you can see it. watch the jto sullivan video and keep an eye on OBJr. And those are the plays that worked lol

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk. Watch the footage of the game. Bosa is throwing OBJr around

I kind of like a guys grade being hit even if the pressure still led to a completion but a small part of me doesn’t.

Like no harm no foul if the pressure didn’t lead to a bad play but i understand why they do it and it makes the grade more comprehensive. I just don’t think it accounts for guys making good plays on a rep loss.

Like if OBJr losses a rep but he losses it in a way where to get a sack the dude has to take the long way to the QB and Burrow gets it out, i don’t think that should count as a bad rep. From what i read about OBJr he’s really good at making guys work on won reps.

I think on that amazing sack escape OBJr clearly lost the rep but he stayed in the play and actually helped Burrow stiff arm Bosa to the ground so that’s a rep loss but to me not one that should reflect negatively on his grade
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This is gonna be real obscure but does anyone track a stat that records how many sacks a QB saved his offensive line?

I feel like Burrow would lead that stat by a lot, with Mahommes 2nd.

Maybe Mahommes 1st but I’m biased and idc that i am
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: and you can see it. watch the jto sullivan video and keep an eye on OBJr. And those are the plays that worked lol

I will later. Love the JTO vids.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:20 PM)Housh Wrote: This is gonna be real obscure but does anyone track a stat that records how many sacks a QB saved his offensive line?

Pressure to sack %.

Mahomes leads by a lot. He only gets sacked on 8.5% of his pressures. Josh Allen is 3rd. Surprisingly, Baker Mayfield is 2nd. Burrow is 21st at 21.3%

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 12:27 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Not sure where Jonah usually or typically graded at left tackle, but wondering if he is grading higher at right tackle now.

I was going to say the same thing.  I think Jonah's found his true calling, and maybe all this offseason nonsense from him motivated him to prove he can get the job done at RT.  I'm interested to see him keep improving.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 11:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Pressure to sack %.

Mahomes leads by a lot. He only gets sacked on 8.5% of his pressures. Josh Allen is 3rd. Surprisingly, Baker Mayfield is 2nd. Burrow is 21st at 21.3%

Not that surprising with baker. He always could slip out of pressure when he was in cleveland

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 01:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he had a good game for his standards. Good run blocking per usual. Pass blocking is still poor

Really?

Quote:Pass Blocking Grades

Best: Cordell Volson - 70.00
Worst: Alex Cappa - 57.14
Reply/Quote
Are those sack % numbers this season or career?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 10:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: Are those sack % numbers this season or career?

Assuming you're talking about pressure-to-sack% above, it is this season. However, it is still Mahomes by a wide margin. He has the lowest pressure-to-sack % in the NFL since he came into the league. Here are the percentages and relative rankings for Burrow/Mahomes since they came into the league...

Mahomes - 8.5% (1st)
Burrow - 21.3% (25th)

Mahomes - 9.8% (1st)
Burrow - 22.9% (31st)

Mahomes - 13.4% (5th)
Burrow - 26.9% (39th)

Mahomes - 9.6% (2nd)
Burrow - 21.2% (31st)

Mahomes - 11.6% (4th)

Mahomes - 13.3% (4th)

Mahomes is the hardest QB in the league to sack. Burrow has had some very nice, flashy escapes like over the weekend but he isn't as consistent at escaping and keeping things alive as Mahomes is. The thing with Mahomes is he also creates pressure for himself. His playstyle allows defenses to pressure him easier, but it works because he is able to escape it so well. On the flip side of that, Burrow rarely creates pressure for himself, but still struggles to escape when pressure is put on him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:20 PM)Housh Wrote: This is gonna be real obscure but does anyone track a stat that records how many sacks a QB saved his offensive line?

Like faulk said below, PFF does have a pressure-to-sack percentage that can kind of tell this story. It isn't even close, though. Mahomes has never had a season ranked outside the top five whereas Burrow has never had a season ranked better than 25th. However, there are some playstyle differences to account for here that can provide context to the numbers. Mahomes is just so, so difficult to sack. He's an incredibly frustrating QB to watch as an opposing fan.
Reply/Quote