Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Musings on the Bengals
Bengals rank first in cap health for second year in a row: The Bengals have done well to add talent in the draft as mega contract extensions loom for their top players.
Cap Health
— RANK: 1
Cincinnati remains atop our list for the second year in a row, which is not an easy accomplishment. But the major financial changes on the horizon are evidenced by the Bengals ranking 25th in 2024 free agent valuation. The number is largely carried by wide receiver Tee Higgins and interior defender D.J. Reader, but decisions on fifth-year option tackle Jonah Williams and pending free agents in cornerback Chidobe Awuzie and wide receiver Tyler Boyd are all coming soon.
Fortunately, the Bengals have done a great job of adding talent in the draft that can be expected to take over top roles, which will help to balance out the monster deal coming for quarterback Joe Burrow and whoever else remains.

Offseason Grade: A
Cincinnati securing the services of Orlando Brown Jr. at tackle was both unexpected and excellent opportunistic work. Brown has five straight seasons with a PFF pass-blocking grade of at least 74.4 and helps further solidify the Bengals' offensive line. Cody Ford adds depth to the group, as well, while the gamble that Irv Smith Jr. can remain healthy is an excellent buy-low gamble.
Their draft was an excellent one also, with Myles Murphy bringing elite tools and flashes of play at an area of the draft where that skill set is typically gone. Cornerback D.J. Turner, safety Jordan Battle, receiver Charlie Jones and running back Chase Brown all future-proof areas of the roster without needing to be pressed into full-time roles right away.

https://youtu.be/FAJj2rsDhUI

OL Rankings

17. CINCINNATI BENGALS (UP 11)

Projected Starting Lineup

LT Orlando Brown Jr.
LG Cordell Volson
C Ted Karras
RG Alex Cappa
RT Jonah Williams – Played LT in 2022

Orlando Brown Jr. has the potential to propel this offensive line forward after the team already did some nice work to improve the unit last offseason. He has an overall PFF grade of at least 68.6 in every season of his career.
Jonah Williams had a rough year at left tackle but can rebuild his reputation in a contract year on the right side.
Best Player: Orlando Brown Jr.

Orlando Brown Jr. has earned at least a 74.4 PFF pass-blocking grade in every season of his career, spanning multiple offenses and positions.

Cincinnati breakout player:

CINCINNATI BENGALS: CB CAM TAYLOR-BRITT

Taylor-Britt was thrust into action following Chidobe Awuzie’s injury in 2022, and he did not disappoint. He ranked 59th among cornerbacks in PFF grade as a rookie but improved as the season progressed. From Week 12 on — including the postseason — he earned a 74.8 PFF grade, which tied for 19th best among 96 cornerbacks with at least 100 snaps over that span

. PFF Interior Defender Rankings: Top 32 ahead of the 2023 NFL season
9. D.J. READER, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Reader plays a vital role in Lou Anarumo's defense, highlighted by his 85.2 PFF grade in 2022. As a run defender, he has earned grades of 69.0 or better since 2017. He produced a career-high 84.1 PFF pass-rush grade in 2022, registering 32 pressures from 310 pass-rushing snaps.

Top Centers Heading in 2023
9. TED KARRAS, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Part of the ongoing rebuild of the Cincinnati Bengals offensive line, Karras made a big impact in his first season in the Queen City. Over the past four seasons, he has produced 65.0-plus PFF grades in every season, and his 76.1 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2022 was the fourth-best at the position

Most Underrated player on the Bengals:
CINCINNATI BENGALS: LB GERMAINE PRATT

2022 PFF Grade: 78.4
Out of 54 linebackers who saw at least 600 snaps last season, Pratt ranked 11th in terms of overall grade. Pratt especially excelled in coverage, where his 87.3 grade ranked third among linebackers and the 71.7 percent completion percentage he allowed into his coverage ranked sixth-best
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I’m hoping the OL is better than #17. That’s promising on CTB. I like our “A” grade on the off season
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 05:31 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m hoping the OL is better than #17. That’s promising on CTB. I like our “A” grade on the off season

Obviously but, considering our line was somewhere near the bottom the last two years and we were one block away from winning it and should have made it back last year, I’ll take 17th.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 05:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Obviously but, considering our line was somewhere near the bottom the last two years and we were one block away from winning it and should have made it back last year, I’ll take 17th.

WE WILL BE NEAR OR AROUND TOP TEN mark my words

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 05:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: WE WILL BE NEAR OR AROUND TOP TEN mark my words

If we are that good on the OL we will be REALLY hard to beat....
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 05:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: WE WILL BE NEAR OR AROUND TOP TEN mark my words

I sort of agree with you on that prediction.  Don't discount the year of continuity built with the interior 3, and the step forward that Volson will likely take, along with upgrading LT and Jonah Williams going over to the right side.  Williams should have a clean bill of health, he's in a "prove yourself" type situation as far as playing for an upper tier 2nd contract from some suitor.  This line should be fire, especially in the second half of the season and run to the Superbowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Those capitals make a compelling argument for sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I sort of agree with you on that prediction.  Don't discount the year of continuity built with the interior 3, and the step forward that Volson will likely take, along with upgrading LT and Jonah Williams going over to the right side.  Williams should have a clean bill of health, he's in a "prove yourself" type situation as far as playing for an upper tier 2nd contract from some suitor.  This line should be fire, especially in the second half of the season and run to the Superbowl.

We are in step

Reply/Quote
I know Brown wanted to play LT when he came here. Can he play LT at the same level as he did at RT?
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 11:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I know Brown wanted to play LT when he came here. Can he play LT at the same level as he did at RT?

I think he’s played more LT than RT

Reply/Quote
Believe the O-line will be in the top 8, and maybe top 5 if staying healthy.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 11:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I know Brown wanted to play LT when he came here. Can he play LT at the same level as he did at RT?

He played LT well enough to earn a SB ring..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This article reads like it was written by a member of this board…just gushing optimism lol…not that I disagree with any of it
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Here are Brown's scores over his career - I think he'll be fine at LT or RT:

2018 - Rats RT - Run Block 61.8 Pass Block 73.5

2019 - Rats RT - Run Block 59.4 Pass Block 82.5

2020 - Rats RT - Run Block 73.0 Pass Block 76.7

2021 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 67.0 Pass Block 76.1

2022 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 69.1 Pass Block 77.2
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2023, 10:59 AM)Joelist Wrote: Here are Brown's scores over his career - I think he'll be fine at LT or RT:

2018 - Rats RT - Run Block 61.8 Pass Block 73.5

2019 - Rats RT - Run Block 59.4 Pass Block 82.5

2020 - Rats RT - Run Block 73.0 Pass Block 76.7

2021 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 67.0 Pass Block 76.1

2022 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 69.1 Pass Block 77.2

He played some LT at Ratbirds

Reply/Quote
All I can say is if CTB continues to shine and improve I’m applying to be a Cincy scout. So far I nailed that pick well before that draft.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2023, 12:18 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: All I can say is if CTB continues to shine and improve I’m applying to be a Cincy scout. So far I nailed that pick well before that draft.

And discussed with someone this morning infinitely familiar with the Bengals and former Power 5 DC ( retired now) about Jordan Battle. He thinks he beats out Scott. When? He didn’t know. Mind you he has no reference or from observing them both to have a legit opinion. Meaning he has no tangible reason. But if he’s right we have our secondary for awhile.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I sort of agree with you on that prediction.  Don't discount the year of continuity built with the interior 3, and the step forward that Volson will likely take, along with upgrading LT and Jonah Williams going over to the right side.  Williams should have a clean bill of health, he's in a "prove yourself" type situation as far as playing for an upper tier 2nd contract from some suitor.  This line should be fire, especially in the second half of the season and run to the Superbowl.

The key is going to be health and Pollack who as underachieved as a coach, at end of year if we are still not above average with the amount of $$ and draft capital we have spent on the Oline.. time to make a change at coaching
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2023, 01:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The key is going to be health and Pollack who as underachieved as a coach, at end of year if we are still not above average with the amount of $$ and draft capital we have spent on the Oline.. time to make a change at coaching

If the Oline is top 10, will you become an official member of the Pollack Fan Club?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2023, 10:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Oline is top 10, will you become an official member of the Pollack Fan Club?

No win situation. If not, Pollack sucks, if they do Pollack still sucks because he didn’t develop anyone…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote