Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Updates - Read Them and Weep
Offense:
We have 8 guys that play regularly graded as Poor. Boling has really tanked the past few games.

The guys are Lafell, Fisher, Ogbuehi, Hopkins, Bodine, Boling, and Andre Smith. TJ Johnson also grades out as Poor.

Our offense ranks #32 in the league and we're rushing the ball for 3.1 ypc so not surprising.

I'd love to see Westerman, Dielman, and/or Redmond given a chance.

Defense:
We have 9 guys that play regularly on defense that grade Poor.

Jones, Kirkpatrick (actually grades out worse than Ced. They have him listed as the #111 CB), Shaw, Fejedelem, Evans, Vigil, Billings, Sims, and Glasgow.

There are some fixes I see here like starting Jackson and Dennard and moving Shaw back to CB from Safety. Jackson and Dennard grade out way better than Jones and Kirkpatrick.

Out of Billings, Sims, and Glasgow...Billings needs more playing time as while they are all Poor...Billings is much higher rated than both.

Overall:
We have 17 guys who play regularly who are graded as performing Poor this season. That's a recipe for a 3-5 team.

Sadly, we're not a new HC away. Or 1 or 2 players away from competing. We have some major roster issues.

Maybe a new HC can get the performance up of some of these guys though by teaching them nuances.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Offense:
We have 8 guys that play regularly graded as Poor. Boling has really tanked the past few games.

The guys are Lafell, Fisher, Ogbuehi, Hopkins, Bodine, Boling, and Andre Smith. TJ Johnson also grades out as Poor.

Our offense ranks #32 in the league and we're rushing the ball for 3.1 ypc so not surprising.

Defense:

Jones, Kirkpatrick (actually grades out worse than Ced. They have him listed as the #111 CB), Shaw, Fejedelem, Evans, Vigil, Billings, Sims, and Glasgow.

There are some fixes I see here like starting Jackson and Dennard and moving Shaw back to CB from Safety. Jackson and Dennard grade out way better than Jones and Kirkpatrick.

Out of Billings, Sims, and Glasgow...Billings needs more playing time as while they are all Poor...Billings is much higher rated than both.

Overall:
We have 17 guys who play regularly who are graded as performing Poor this season. That's a recipe for a 3-5 team.

Sadly, we're not a new HC away. Or 1 or 2 players away from competing. We have some major roster issues.

Maybe a new HC can get the performance up of some of these guys though by teaching them nuances.

It just pains me so much for this coaching staff to not just admit that younger guys CAN BE BETTER. Chris Simms believes we have a possible top 10 corner in WJIII.. and we barely see him! That's INSANE!

And the offense line man.. just put the younger guys in and see what happens! It sucks to see so much potential just tossed aside, especially the WJIII decision-making. That honestly frustrates me the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 01:22 PM)thillan Wrote: It just pains me so much for this coaching staff to not just admit that younger guys CAN BE BETTER. Chris Simms believes we have a possible top 10 corner in WJIII.. and we barely see him! That's INSANE!

And the offense line man.. just put the younger guys in and see what happens! It sucks to see so much potential just tossed aside, especially the WJIII decision-making. That honestly frustrates me the most.

Unfortunately they have put in the younger guys on the OL. There are no other options to put at OT. Hopkins (a relative newcomer) and Johnson (young) have been getting opportunities at RG. The only spot still being held by a very underperforming vet at this point is Bodine. The only options there are putting TJ Johnson in his place (done that before, thought it worked better, but not great) or try Westerman who I don't believe took a lot of snaps at C in TC in 2016/2017 but has done a slight bit of work at that position.

The only things I see at this point are giving Westerman a shot at RG and putting TJ Johnson in for Bodine. But I'm betting those things would never even be considered until December.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah...the young guys just aren't good at a lot of positions...which is terrible.

Jackson and Dennard should be starting.

We should have let Kirkpatrick go and kept Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
It blows my mind that we have 17 guys that play regularly rated as Poor.
Reply/Quote
Marvin: "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat. Button up my sleeve and PRESTO! 

Damn..a dead rat.. Whodda thunk it?"   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What about the coaches?
Reply/Quote
They'd grade out as Poor. More of our guys that play are rated Poor than Average. That's insane.
Reply/Quote
So the guys at PFF have functional eyes. Good to know.
Reply/Quote

Defense:

Overall:

Good info. Although I heavily disagree that new blood at HC would/Could change things around. Within 3yrs, we could dump a lot of dead weight and uplift those future stars who barely see the field. It kills me watching this much talent sit on the bench while you sign big contracts to the likes of Fitzpatrick. Makes no sense at all. A good coach would not have let that happen because, simply, he's not that good and many of us seen that before the new contract. He's decent, but he's not top talent. Then there's the OL. I wont even get into that because I would just be repeating what has been said a thousand times already. Great coaches could get this ship sailing again.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good info. Although I heavily disagree that new blood at HC would/Could change things around. Within 3yrs, we could dump a lot of dead weight and uplift those future stars who barely see the field. It kills me watching this much talent sit on the bench while you sign big contracts to the likes of Fitzpatrick. Makes no sense at all. A good coach would not have let that happen because, simply, he's not that good and many of us seen that before the new contract. He's decent, but he's not top talent. Then there's the OL. I wont even get into that because I would just be repeating what has been said a thousand times already. Great coaches could get this ship sailing again.

An entirely new coaching staff will help some in that they may bring successful routines in from other teams.

Making Guenther the HC likely is a lateral move though.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 01:22 PM)thillan Wrote: It just pains me so much for this coaching staff to not just admit that younger guys CAN BE BETTER. Chris Simms believes we have a possible top 10 corner in WJIII.. and we barely see him! That's INSANE!

Agree 

Truly believe WJIII will become a shut down corner and they are hard to come by.

Think he already is our best. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It blows my mind that we have 17 guys that play regularly rated as Poor.

Yes, we are 3-5 so we have major issues and PFF confirms the record. However, I need to understand the term plays regularly to decide how many starters are poor.

For example, if:
Player A plays 30%, Player be plays 25%, Player C plays 20% and player D plays 15% that equals 1 player playing full time (90%) of all of the offensive or defensive snaps.

My point being while we have obvious major issues, throwing guys in who play less than 60% of the snaps on their side of the ball embellishes the 17 number in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Defense:

Overall:

Per my earlier post, I see 10 starters under performing (which is a lot), but not 17.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Gio Bernard (as a receiver), Cody Core, Josh Malone, and John Ross agree with this statement.  Way to fire up the youth of our team...sit behind guys that suck ass.  

I guess that is step 1 in "driving out talent" of the Bengal process.  

Reply/Quote