Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Week 1 Grades - Ravens @ Bengals
(09-12-2017, 12:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lost in the tip discussion...why did none of the offensive players start tackling defenders? Once that ball was tipped everyone should have been hanging on to a raven to ensure it wasn't caught.

As most thing with the Bengals seem to go, only the other team seems prepared for the situation...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 12:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lost in the tip discussion...why did none of the offensive players start tackling defenders? Once that ball was tipped everyone should have been hanging on to a raven to ensure it wasn't caught.

I was yelling at the TV when that play happened. Looked like we had guys trying to catch it 5-10 yards behind the line instead of just taking out the Ravens trying to make sure they can't get to it. No PI on a tipped pass
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: The two tipped interceptions I really don't put on Dalton they were simply good plays by defenders.. The last interception and the one in the endzone were horrible decisions.

I'm half with you and half not on the tipped INT's. Tipped passes shouldn't be on the QB. I don't dislike Andy, but tipped passes getting picked off isn't new for him. Remember J.J. Watt in the playoff loss? I've watched every game since 2004 (when I got Sunday Ticket), and I cannot for the life of me EVER remember Andy pump-faking a throw, not once. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The missed tackles at time were an issue but he made some decent plays too. That is a guy  I think by the end of the year can be a solid starter. He made a heads up play diving under that tipped ball for the int.

His poor tackling goes back to his college tape, and his play recognition I thought was poor.  He reacted to receivers on crossing routes really slow.  

He seems to be a really good drag down tackler and he penetrates into the backfield really well.   But his whiffing in the hole is consistent and really frustrating.  He simply does not break down and use correct tackling technique.  He also needs to do better about stacking and shedding.

If he can start doing that I think he can be a very serviceable linebacker.

I think Evans has a future as well, but he got caught badly out of position a couple of times that I could see.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 05:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely, part of your job as an olineman is to keep your man's hands down and out of the passing lanes.  There's more to it than just occupying space.....

And conversely it is critical for our defenders to occupy passing lanes.  Baltimore's defenders did a really good job of that.  We did not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:29 PM)3wt Wrote: His poor tackling goes back to his college tape, and his play recognition I thought was poor.  He reacted to receivers on crossing routes really slow.  

He seems to be a really good drag down tackler and he penetrates into the backfield really well.   But his whiffing in the hole is consistent and really frustrating.  He simply does not break down and use correct tackling technique.  He also needs to do better about stacking and shedding.

If he can start doing that I think he can be a very serviceable linebacker.

I think Evans has a future as well, but he got caught badly out of position a couple of times that I could see.

Vigil is the SAM of the future so I feel okay with his deficiencies and what will be required of him most the time. Evans is a future Mike/Will depending what we do with Burfict as far as leaving him at Will or moving him. Either way I also have high hopes for him and the LB group as a whole going forward.
Reply/Quote
If a pass is tipped by one of the QB's players and a member of the other team catches it I can see the logic with not blaming the QB for the INT.

If a pass is tipped by one of the QB's opponent's and a member of the other team catches it I cannot see the logic with not blaming the QB for the INT.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:37 PM)3wt Wrote: And conversely it is critical for our defenders to occupy passing lanes.  Baltimore's defenders did a really good job of that.  We did not.

Hell.....what DO we do a good job of? LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The missed tackles at time were an issue but he made some decent plays too. That is a guy  I think by the end of the year can be a solid starter. He made a heads up play diving under that tipped ball for the int.

I disagree, I have seen enough of Nick Vigil. He is lucky that he somehow gained notoriety around here from his crazy rat tail and outrageous twitter account.

A very tiny part of me was disappointed it was Vigil that got the INT. I just don't think he will ever be a great player, but we can agree to disagree, and I hope he follows the path you describe.
Reply/Quote