Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades
(12-28-2020, 07:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember that 5 not so bold predictions thread we had before the season, and I actually thought Bates becoming a top 10 safety was the least likely...

I’m certainly glad I was wrong on that one. I knew he was good, but I didn’t think he’d be this good. He’s definitely been one of the few bright spots on that side of the ball.

We all get some thoughts wrong, the beauty of being a fan and not being a GM... well unless you work for the Bengals where getting it right is not actually important....

I can own and have owned I was wrong on Burrow. I was worried he was maybe a one year wonder and that the Bengals would ruin him but he seems up to the challenge so far and if this team gets him a line, we'll be alright. From a talent spot, I really don't think we are too far off. The line needs help, but WR is okay, RB is good, DL if they resign Lawson and Daniels and with a healthy Reader should be good. Just need to tighten up the CB coverage and keep Joe upright. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 01:45 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Phillips since returning has been the best defensive player on the team.

agreed. He was great against Pitt as well. The more i see him play the more I want Bengals to sign Lawson ahead of WJIII 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

Just like theLL said few days ago. If we go into next season with Spain,Hop,XSF as our interior Oline we're asking for trouble. 

We have to temper our elation over the Oline being "ok" now and confusing that with good. We were awful with a capital A and it's just fools gold believing it's all good now.

We still need at least 2 if not 3 upgrades on our 2021 Oline.

This!!!! Keep them both for depth but lets look for upgrades from average. This year they look great to us because we went from what looked like me playing guard to them being average.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 09:42 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This!!!! Keep them both for depth but lets look for upgrades from average. This year they look great to us because we went from what looked like me playing guard to them being average.

I see the same thing with LBs, we had worse LBs in the league last year so anything looks better now, if Sewell is gone we need to look at Parson a impact LB to upgrade that unit and not be content with average.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 01:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I only want him for depth. Neither him or XSF should penciled in as starters.

Whilst I don't disagree with that Spain asked for his release from the Bills when he was just depth. He's not going to re-sign to be depth.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:55 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Whilst I don't disagree with that Spain asked for his release from the Bills when he was just depth. He's not going to re-sign to be depth.

Guess he can walk then. He’s certainly not good enough to be automatically handed a starting job. He would have a good shot at one if he did stay though. Just beat out XSF and the job is yours. I highly doubt we bring in 2 FA guards. Could draft one high, but again, just beat the rookie out.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 07:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He’s s good teammate from what I’ve seen. Doesnt mean he’s a good tackle, but I like his spirit.

Yes....be a good backup guy, but not at that price. I do like to see a lineman do what he did.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 05:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, you should've...lol.

Anyone else see Bobby Hart running over, and I mean sprinting, to help up Allen after that late keeper? He was even shoving dudes to get to Allen. Yeah, he's replaceable, but these are things you like to see when a team is out of the hunt. I think the "losing the locker room" stuff was BS.

I did see that, and Zac about ripped his head off for retaliating with a little shove.  

I know Burrow supported Hart, but maybe that was just his way of leading...always supporting your teammates.  But he said specifically when he found him on the sideline as they were finishing their win against Jax "Love you, man".  

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Hart at RT if they made a FA move and at least two draft picks to compete for the other interior offensive line positions.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I did see that, and Zac about ripped his head off for retaliating with a little shove.  

I know Burrow supported Hart, but maybe that was just his way of leading...always supporting your teammates.  But he said specifically when he found him on the sideline as they were finishing their win against Jax "Love you, man".  

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Hart at RT if they made a FA move and at least two draft picks to compete for the other interior offensive line positions.  

Yeah, he could've gotten a silly penalty there, but I do like to see the fight and sticking up for your teammates in a lost season. 

Far from sold on Bobby, but you gotta like seeing that. Better than Og turning his back on his QB immediately after his man buries the QB into the turf.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can't believe that is Pratt's grade.  Thought the guy looked very good.  Bynes looked OK, but has no range.  

Sims?  He just belongs with the name:  BOTTOM 5 on his jersey.  Can we PLEASE see Winston Rose?  I think WJIII is going to miss this game.  

This is why overall grades are not the best to go by.

When it comes to Pratt, his cumulative grade is greatly affected by his run defense.

On the season:
overall - 49.2 (626 snaps)
run defense - 35.0 (320 snaps)
pass rush - 56.1 (23 snaps)
coverage - 68.4 (283 snaps)

Pratt actually is the best LB in coverage on the team with 50+ snaps.
Other LBs:
Wilson - 63.1 in coverage (54.7 overall)
Bynes - 59.5 in coverage (54.2 overall)
ADG - 52.5 in coverage (47.0 overall)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is why overall grades are not the best to go by.

When it comes to Pratt, his cumulative grade is greatly affected by his run defense.

On the season:

Other LBs:

Going off the eye test I would have thought Logan Wilson was our best LB in coverage. Pretty surprising.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Going off the eye test I would have thought Logan Wilson was our best LB in coverage. Pretty surprising.

Pratt's really boosted his score within the past month or so. Someone (I think Joe Goodberry) had posted like a week or so ago that Pratt has been one of the top LBs in the entire league in terms of coverage since the start of November or something like that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is why overall grades are not the best to go by.

On the season:

Other LBs:

PFF seems most "lost" on LB grades, as Kyle Van Noy once said:  "They don't know my assignment".  But, the eye test has shown Pratt is coming along nicely.  I wish we would have been going Wilson-Pratt in Nickel now, but Wilson's injury has prevented that.  I am glad they all got some experience this year.  All their scores will improve with improved defensive line play, where the Bengals were one of the worst all season.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I did see that, and Zac about ripped his head off for retaliating with a little shove.  

Hart has performed better each year, I believe 3/4 sacks and fewer penalties, controlled JJ Watts. I believe is 2nd highest rated PFF last one I found. For 5.5 m contract we should keep him and draft a future replacement or sign better guard to make that side of line stronger
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hart has performed better each year, I believe 3/4 sacks and  fewer penalties, controlled JJ Watts. I believe is 2nd highest  rated PFF last one I found. For 5.5 m contract  we should keep him and draft a future replacement or sign better guard to make that side of line stronger

Go on my latest mock under mock drafts (duh) and see SHRacerX Mock 5.0 and tell me what you think about our future RT.  I would still keep Hart, although that won't be popular around here.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not a bad plan at all in my opinion. I watch the kid from LSU lighting it up for TB, and Smith up in CHI and can't help but wonder how much better our D would be with that kind of potential/play at LB.

While it would be nice to be in position to draft one,  I think the priority on defense should be the line. I don't know about Chicago, but I think the reason Devin white can use his speed and make plays is that the bucs have great DT play. Until we get a second tackle to pair with Reader, I'd focus on that over a lb. Unless the lb is the next Ray Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 02:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hart has performed better each year, I believe 3/4 sacks and  fewer penalties, controlled JJ Watts. I believe is 2nd highest  rated PFF last one I found. For 5.5 m contract  we should keep him and draft a future replacement or sign better guard to make that side of line stronger

Hart's cap hit is $6.9 mill next year.

With that said, Hart has steadily improved both in penalties and sacks year-after-year.

2018: 11 penalties, 10 sacks allowed
2019: 7 penalties, 6 sacks allowed
2020: 3 penalties, 4 sacks allowed
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hart's cap hit is $6.9 mill next year.

With that said, Hart has steadily improved both in penalties and sacks year-after-year.

2018: 11 penalties, 10 sacks allowed
2019: 7 penalties, 6 sacks allowed
2020: 3 penalties, 4 sacks allowed

Thanks, those are pretty good sign of improvement and I would not cut him but still look for future tackle/guard. What website did u find stats.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 03:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Thanks, those are pretty good sign of improvement and I would not cut him but still look for future tackle/guard. What website did u find stats.

PFF
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
How does Pratt compare to the squeelers Devin, who went thru all the trouble to get him?
Reply/Quote