Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF's "Best at Everything - Offense" - Joe Burrow
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-best-at-everything-on-offense

Thought this was a good read.

It has Burrow listed as college's best at the following categories:
- Best passer 20+ yards downfield
- Best passer under pressure
- Best passer when targeting past the sticks (1st down marker)

That's basically all the things we've complained about Dalton/Bengals the past decade.
Not good enough deep downfield. Not good when pressured. Throwing to receivers in front of the 1st down marker too much.

If you want a QB who can be accurate with the deep ball, make plays under pressure, and hit guys for 1st downs rather than throwing short and hoping the receiver gets YAC, then Burrow may be just the guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-best-at-everything-on-offense

Thought this was a good read.

It has Burrow listed as college's best at the following categories:
- Best passer 20+ yards downfield
- Best passer under pressure
- Best passer when targeting past the sticks (1st down marker)

That's basically all the things we've complained about Dalton/Bengals the past decade.
Not good enough deep downfield. Not good when pressured. Throwing to receivers in front of the 1st down marker too much.

If you want a QB who can be accurate with the deep ball, make plays under pressure, and hit guys for 1st downs rather than throwing short and hoping the receiver gets YAC, then Burrow may be just the guy.

Pair Burrow up with The Best Redzone Receiver Isaiah Hodgins. 12/12 110 yards 3 contested catches and 9 TDs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:09 PM)Synric Wrote: Pair Burrow up with The Best Redzone Receiver Isaiah Hodgins. 12/12 110 yards 3 contested catches and 9 TDs.

Works for me. I think there are a lot of great options at WR and it would make sense to grab another given AJ Green's status and both Ross and Erickson are entering the final year of their contracts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There are some big bodied WR coming out. Also, did anyone see that 6'7" TE out of Stanford? Klaber but I am not sure of his name. I am actually excited about getting Burrow. I hope the Bengals lose next week and I say this as a huge fan...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are some big bodied WR coming out.  Also, did anyone see that 6'7" TE out of Stanford?  Klaber but I am not sure of his name.  I am actually excited about getting Burrow.  I hope the Bengals lose next week and I say this as a huge fan...

I'm terrified the Bengals are going to win their last 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Works for me. I think there are a lot of great options at WR and it would make sense to grab another given AJ Green's status and both Ross and Erickson are entering the final year of their contracts.

Based on Taylor's recent comments plus the already uncertain status of Green going forward it seemed pretty obvious we'd take one WR, but I am beginning to think we may take two with one coming as early as day 2. I think it'll be interesting to see what we get for Dalton as I assume that will be one of the WR picks. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:35 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: I'm terrified the Bengals are going to win their last 2 games.

As long as they keep playing Andy, I think that pick will remain intact.  I think about the only thing that could change that, is if they put Dolegala in, and he just started launching bombs to Ross, repeatedly.  However, despite that cannon arm, I don't think Dolegala is quite prepared to face NFL defenses, yet.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Works for me. I think there are a lot of great options at WR and it would make sense to grab another given AJ Green's status and both Ross and Erickson are entering the final year of their contracts.

Ross is still a rookie  Ninja

As for Burrow if there's 20 boxes to check for great QB prospect he gets marks in like 18 and 1/2 of them !

(12-17-2019, 09:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: Based on Taylor's recent comments plus the already uncertain status of Green going forward it seemed pretty obvious we'd take one WR, but I am beginning to think we may take two with one coming as early as day 2. I think it'll be interesting to see what we get for Dalton as I assume that will be one of the WR picks. 

You think we can get a 2nd for Dalton ? That seems a bit high to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ross is still a rookie  Ninja

As for Burrow if there's 20 boxes to check for great QB prospect he gets marks in like 18 and 1/2 of them !

No, possibly a 3rd which would be a day 2 pick but I think it's more likely we get a 4th with a conditional pick next year for him. 
Reply/Quote
There is some genuine concern that Green's career could be in jeopardy. At the very least, he may require additional surgery. Bengals need IOL and OT. But if they take Burrow #1, then #2 will be Higgins or someone similar, they will grab another WR no later than round 5.

1-Burrow
2-WR
3a-IOL
3b-OT
4-ILB
5-WR
6-Edge/OLB
7-CB/TE
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If you took all the years he played in college and combined them where does he rank? not just this year
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:35 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: I'm terrified the Bengals are going to win their last 2 games.

it could happen.... but i wouldnt be scared about it lol...
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 04:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If you took all the years he played in college and combined them where does he rank? not just this year

1) It's not possible to get that data.
2) Not sure it even matters?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 09:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ross is still a rookie  Ninja

This is fairly accurate.

Out of everything I've seen of Burrow, the really only two things I see as concerns are:
- Only having one year of elite play (Is 2019 the norm or the exception?)
- Not having elite arm strength like a Josh Allen (but he is still accurate deep and has a good enough arm to make all the throws)

Other than that, he's pretty good.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 03:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There is some genuine concern that Green's career could be in jeopardy.  At the very least, he may require additional surgery.  Bengals need IOL and OT.  But if they take Burrow #1, then #2 will be Higgins or someone similar, they will grab another WR no later than round 5.  

1-Burrow
2-WR
3a-IOL
3b-OT
4-ILB
5-WR
6-Edge/OLB
7-CB/TE

My concern is the Bengals franchise tagging Green.
If they do that, they tie up so much money (fully guaranteed) into Green and he could miss plenty of games.
And the contract is only for one year.

Honestly, there are enough good OL and LBs who should hit FA that it makes more sense to sign one of those premier guys with the money that would have gone to AJ and then take advantage of this incredibly stacked WR class.
As you said, get a WR in Rd 2-3 and maybe another in Rds 5-6.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: My concern is the Bengals franchise tagging Green.
If they do that, they tie up so much money (fully guaranteed) into Green and he could miss plenty of games.
And the contract is only for one year.

Honestly, there are enough good OL and LBs who should hit FA that it makes more sense to sign one of those premier guys with the money that would have gone to AJ and then take advantage of this incredibly stacked WR class.
As you said, get a WR in Rd 2-3 and maybe another in Rds 5-6.

Not saying do it or don't, but it's only 6 million more than what was tied up in him this year. Considering you'll be shedding 17 million in Dalton you still come away net 11 for next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) It's not possible to get that data.
2) Not sure it even matters?

is this 1 year an exception or the rule with the kid?
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is this 1 year an exception or the rule with the kid?

Can't know that for sure. That's one of the concerns with him entering the draft.
He wasn't elite like this last year but they brought in Joe Brady from New Orleans Saints this year to be the passing game coordinator and it's been night and day.

If you keep waiting for the perfect QB prospect, you may be waiting forever. A guy like Andrew Luck only comes once in a decade.
Even a guy like Patrick Mahomes wasn't thought of to be a great prospect. There were a lot of questions with him entering the draft. Luckily, he developed into an elite guy. Sometimes you have to take a chance.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: Not saying do it or don't, but it's only 6 million more than what was tied up in him this year. Considering you'll be shedding 17 million in Dalton you still come away net 11 for next season.

True, but look at the cap for next year. 
$60 mill without AJ Green.
Expect another $10-13 mill rollover.
So $73 mill.
Cutting/trading Dalton would result in ~$90 mill cap space.
Doing the same with Cordy Glenn would put the Bengals at ~$99 mill.

If AJ Green is tagged, it's expected to be about $18.5 mill according to OverTheCap projections.
That's a good chunk of change eating that available cap space for a player on the downside of his career, big injury risk, and could be used toward a different player actually entering his prime.
Sure, they would have enough to keep him if they wanted and still be active in FA but I don't see the Bengals actually having a chance to get deep in the playoffs in the next 1-2 years so why even bother with keeping Green?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is this 1 year an exception or the rule with the kid?

Honestly his play last year wasn't bad, the stats make him look less appealing last year but the offense was completely different. When you look at the tape though he was doing a lot of the same things just not in the quantity we saw this year. I think Joe Brady is the key and when you evaluate him teams will want to ask what he did differently this year in terms of pre parring him and if it was about more freedom in the offense or more information pre game.
Reply/Quote