Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF's Seth Galina breakdown of Joe Burrow 2020.
One of the analysts from PFF has been breaking down Joey B's 2020 tape on his twitter feed. He has about 10 clips and some other scheme pictures.

Here is the link: https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_seth/status/1379820478605492229

And another way to get to the full twitter thread.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 05:01 PM)Synric Wrote: One of the analysts from PFF has been breaking down Joey B's 2020 tape on his twitter feed. He has about 10 clips and some other scheme pictures.

Here is the link: https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_seth/status/1379820478605492229

And another way to get to the full twitter thread.

Don't let Fred see this. He just got done telling me 4 or 5 times that Joe Burrow is not an accurate passer. 
Reply/Quote
Nice overall analysis but unless I missed it one area of weakness for Burrow as Red Zone scoring..
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 09:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Don't let Fred see this. He just got done telling me 4 or 5 times that Joe Burrow is not an accurate passer. 

Before or after he said we'll suck so bad that we won't have full stadiums?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 09:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Don't let Fred see this. He just got done telling me 4 or 5 times that Joe Burrow is not an accurate passer. 

His deep ball sucked last year. Try to sugar coat it all you want but a big part of AJ Green's weak catch percentage was because of Burrow's inaccuracy on the deep ball. Medium and short, he was fine, but this isn't the NCAA football he's throwing anymore.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:54 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: His deep ball sucked last year. Try to sugar coat it all you want but a big part of AJ Green's weak catch percentage was because of Burrow's inaccuracy on the deep ball. Medium and short, he was fine, but this isn't the NCAA football he's throwing anymore.

You need to go rewatch AJ Green in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:58 PM)Synric Wrote: You need to go rewatch AJ Green in 2020.

It's like people don't realize that when you have probably the slowest WR corps in the league, your deep ball completion percentage will suck.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:58 PM)Synric Wrote: You need to go rewatch AJ Green in 2020.

I have NFL Game Pass and outside of the blowouts, I do re-watch the games. Joe Burrow has a problem throwing the deep ball.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 11:54 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: His deep ball sucked last year. Try to sugar coat it all you want but a big part of AJ Green's weak catch percentage was because of Burrow's inaccuracy on the deep ball. Medium and short, he was fine, but this isn't the NCAA football he's throwing anymore.

AJ Green was horrible last year.  His weak catch percentage was because he was.... terrible.  Burrow does have to work on his deep throws, but AJ Greens catch percentage had nothing to do with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I watched those plays and he forgets to mention some details:

a) On the missed TD to AJ that was 100% on AJ - the ball was within his usual catch radius but he didn't even look back to locate the ball. Had that same play been run to Tee the result would likely have been TD.

b) Another play he used as an example had MJ get beaten by his man which prevented Burrow from stepping into the throw. Stepping into the throw is key to good, accurate long passing.

I'm not saying there were no issues on deep balls, but he is way underestimating the effect of poor interior line play (especially by LG but also Redmond at RG) on deep passing because of the need for the QB to step into the throw to get both zip and touch.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 12:37 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I have NFL Game Pass and outside of the blowouts, I do re-watch the games. Joe Burrow has a problem throwing the deep ball.

How much of a problem did he have throwing the deep ball 8 months before taking the field for the Bengals, and the preceeding 5 months to that?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 02:47 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How much of a problem did he have throwing the deep ball 8 months before taking the field for the Bengals, and the preceeding 5 months to that?

You mean before he was forced to throw an NFL ball? I would have no idea because I don't watch college football.

I can throw a college football about 60-65 yards, but I can only throw an NFL ball about 50 yards. There's a notable difference between the two when throwing.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 06:02 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You mean before he was forced to throw an NFL ball? I would have no idea because I don't watch college football.

I can throw a college football about 60-65 yards, but I can only throw an NFL ball about 50 yards. There's a notable difference between the two when throwing.

Imma need to see video of you throwing a college football 60-65 yards.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 06:45 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Imma need to see video of you throwing a college football 60-65 yards.

Sorry if you don't believe me. I've stated here before that I could throw a football farther than Joe Montana when I was 15. I threw a baseball 85-90 MPH on a regular basis and was clocked at 92 for a high mark, but that was after I caught the first 6 innings of a double header and my shoulder was very loose when I pitched the 2nd game. I can still throw about 80-85 after about 15-20 throws to loosen up. My right shoulder is way bigger than my left and has led to back issues over the years from being so unbalanced.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote

(04-10-2021, 06:02 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: You mean before he was forced to throw an NFL ball? I would have no idea because I don't watch college football.

Joe Burrow needs to work on his deep throws. No question. That was his biggest knock coming out of LSU: He drops them into buckets (gives a DB more time to adjust) instead of driving them on ropes. This is NOT an accuracy issue - as scouting reports noted. It's an arm strength and feet issue - that can be worked on and corrected some over time.

- The line also needs to work on consistently giving those plays time to develop and Joe space to step into throws.

- And the Bengals need a #1 WR who can give Burrow more than the 1.7 avg yards of separation AJ Green did in 2020. AJ's entire 2020 season was a pitiful display. The Bengals starting trio had the lowest avg yards of separation than any other group in 2020 and AJ was a huge reason for that. Although, Boyd & Higgins weren't stellar at 2.7 & 2.5 respectively.

^ That last one was the point of the other discussion I was referencing.

Regarding the football, if I recall correctly, Joe said in an interview that he finds the NFL ball easier to throw do to the shape and stickier texture to it vs a college football.

As far as the howitzer you're carrying around with you.... Can you throw it over them mountains?
Reply/Quote

All I did was quote an article you posted that said he ranked 31st in accuracy on deep passes.

Don't blame me for information you provided.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 08:55 AM)PDub80 Wrote: - And the Bengals need a #1 WR who can give Burrow more than the 1.7 avg yards of separation AJ Green did in 2020. AJ's entire 2020 season was a pitiful display. The Bengals starting trio had the lowest avg yards of separation than any other group in 2020 and AJ was a huge reason for that. Although, Boyd & Higgins weren't stellar at 2.7 & 2.5 respectively.

Not trying to defend Green, but I'd say a big part of the separation issue is the fact that Burrow tends to float his deep passes.  Hard to get great separation when the DB has time to close on a floated pass.

I assumes "separation" is measured when the ball arrives, correct?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 09:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Before or after he said we'll suck so bad that we won't have full stadiums?

Yawn
Reply/Quote
So when does the get rid of Joe Burrow threads start? This is so nit picking which is laughable. Burrow had a horrible line and some are criticizing his long throw accuracy? I don’t remember Payton, Brady or even Drew Brees having the cannon arm. All three of these guys had the supporting cast and most important very high football IQ. Burrow has the high IQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2021, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not trying to defend Green, but I'd say a big part of the separation issue is the fact that Burrow tends to float his deep passes.  Hard to get great separation when the DB has time to close on a floated pass.

I assumes "separation" is measured when the ball arrives, correct?

That's a fair question, although Next Gen stats only tracks separation on COMPLETED passes. The deep ball misses, some - admittedly - were bad throws by Burrow (SD game, anyone?), weren't counted in those numbers.

Burrow needs to improve deep ball arm strength and drive to help his receivers out.

Also, scheme and route trees aren't taken into consideration with those numbers. Could Taylor's offense NOT be lending itself to clean routes? Too much congestion in the cuteness? Fair questions, too, but doubtful, to me, since they incorporated a some LSU stuff last year and that didn't look wildly better as far as "scheming guys open" goes. Certainly not on deep throws.

Either Paul Dehner Jr, Dave Lapham, or one of the Locked On Bengals guys had stated in a podcast last season that AJ Green's GPS data showed him running his routes at several MPH below his previous avgs and below dbs who had had major injuries, like Richard Sherman. This made AJ easily coverable, even by avg NFL CBs. He looked horrific and a shell of himself.

Couple the above with Lapham & Hoard discussing AJ Green's interview after signing with the Cardinals where they pointed out that AJ basically hated Taylor3offense, never bought in, never liked his role or the routes/job he was asked to do, and basically needed a change of scenery.  They didn't accuse him of "mailing it in", but I would say they went pretty close to saying he gave selective effort when he could.

It was time for the AJ Green era to end in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote