Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFT Predicts Bengals Miss The Post Season
I don't take expert opinions very seriously but I do like to read what is predicted every now and then. All six of PFT's blog posters have decided the Bengals will miss the playoffs. That kind of surprises me but I do like that the team is flying under the radar a bit. Some people forget just how decimated from injuries we were at the end of last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/08/pfts-2015-season-predictions/
Reply/Quote
Well, around this time last year they predicted we'd beat the Colts in the playoffs.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/03/pfts-2014-season-predictions/

So shows what they know about predicting.

#burn
Reply/Quote
If you look at our team on paper we probably have a better than average chance of making playoffs.
But then when you start putting in all the historical records it gets easy to understand why others don't believe !

We've (basically squeaked into, some can't see it) the playoffs four years in a row. What are the chances of lady luck shining again ?

We play the western conf's this season, stronger than the south's by a good bit.

We have four primetime games - nothing else needs said.

The Steelers and Ravens are both 10-6 kinda teams or better and are likely to be right in the hunt.

Our last four games are likely to be make or break kinda games against the Ravens, Steelers, and PT Broncos, and PT 49ers. Granted the niners have fell off a lot to put it mildly but for whatever reasons we fold up in a fetal position every time the lights are on.

Dalton always manages to look like Ryan Leaf in one of the Browns games. Add all that up and I can see this team struggling to get in. The Dolphins may well slip in there as one example.

IMHO this is the season where the rubber meets the road for ML and company. I sure hope they can finally quit crapping their pants in PT/Must win/ have to win (browns) kinda games. We shall see
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's quite as crazy as some may think.

There are only 6 spots for this conference. Colts, Broncos, and Patriots should win their divisions. That's 3 spots right there. KC will be at least somewhat relevant unless Charles and their defense falls off a cliff. SD is a good team with a criminally underrated QB (people want to talk about guys that can perform at an elite level with subpar talent? Look no further). Lots of talk about the Dolphins making noise this year. Houston is getting Foster back earlier than expected and I've heard that JJ Watt is pretty good. The AFCN has 3 teams constantly fighting for a spot and 1 of them is guaranteed one and it isn't a lock to be us.

That leaves the Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, and Texans fighting for 3 spots, and that's completely ignoring that there will probably be an "unexpected" team that plays reasonably well this year (looking at you, Buffalo). This schedule doesn't look as easy as some others around the league which must factor in to this somehow.

This team has a lot of talent on it, and we should definitely be disappointed if we completely miss the playoffs. I just don't think people predicting us out of the tournament are completely insane as some others feel. You could put ANY 3 of those 7 I listed (obviously need at least 1 AFCN team though) along with the Colts, Broncos, and Patriots as your prediction and I wouldn't think you're being ridiculous. What I think is truly crazy is how some are thinking we're as much of a lock as a team like Indianapolis to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Right now everyone is great on paper, but paper doesn't win championships. It's never won it for the Bengals and hasn't won it for anyone else and nobody has ever won a championship (or lost one) because of predictions.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 10:01 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't think it's quite as crazy as some may think.

There are only 6 spots for this conference. Colts, Broncos, and Patriots should win their divisions. That's 3 spots right there. KC will be at least somewhat relevant unless Charles and their defense falls off a cliff. SD is a good team with a criminally underrated QB (people want to talk about guys that can perform at an elite level with subpar talent? Look no further). Lots of talk about the Dolphins making noise this year. Houston is getting Foster back earlier than expected and I've heard that JJ Watt is pretty good. The AFCN has 3 teams constantly fighting for a spot and 1 of them is guaranteed one and it isn't a lock to be us.

That leaves the Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, and Texans fighting for 3 spots, and that's completely ignoring that there will probably be an "unexpected" team that plays reasonably well this year (looking at you, Buffalo). This schedule doesn't look as easy as some others around the league which must factor in to this somehow.

This team has a lot of talent on it, and we should definitely be disappointed if we completely miss the playoffs. I just don't think people predicting us out of the tournament are completely insane as some others feel. You could put ANY 3 of those 7 I listed (obviously need at least 1 AFCN team though) along with the Colts, Broncos, and Patriots as your prediction and I wouldn't think you're being ridiculous. What I think is truly crazy is how some are thinking we're as much of a lock as a team like Indianapolis to make the playoffs.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Agree with everything you said. I love this team as much as anyone and there's no denying the talent, but people here go full OSU/UK homer mode and act like it's a birthright to make the playoffs again.

Generally speaking, every year at least one team from the previous playoffs misses them. We've spun that chamber three times and come up no bullet. There's no guarantee that the fourth time it won't be loaded. There are a lot of great teams in the AFC and it wouldn't be unprecedented for us to not make it a 5th time. Hell, just 4 straight is pretty elite company. Especially with our divisional schedule.

I'll be pissed like others will if we don't make it (and depending on how much we miss it by I may be leading the charge on rolling some heads in the offseason). But this isn't some "Bengals Hate". Totally realistic possibility.

I'm sure someone will say "why play the games then?" sarcastically, yet when you say that to someone claiming we go 12-4 they get up in a tizzy.
Reply/Quote
Hey, it's our birthrights to go one and done in the playoffs.
Seriously, we have the same shot as any team right now. Nobody knows which team might be decimated by injuries and suspensions. Hopefully it ain't our turn again.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This is great. I hope we take the league by storm this year and show them what we can do when healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:02 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: This is great. I hope we take the league by storm this year and show them what we can do when healthy.

Take the league by storm with Andy Dalton at the helm? Not happening.

I cannot imagine this team making the playoffs. It all will start with a butt whooping in Oakland. Oakland will end up with a better record than the Bengals imo.
Reply/Quote
As much as predictors get wrong, it's probably a good thing. People have the Phins in the playoffs every year and so far...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 10:01 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That leaves the Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, and Texans fighting for 3 spots, and that's completely ignoring that there will probably be an "unexpected" team that plays reasonably well this year (looking at you, Buffalo).

Don't laugh, but I think that team may be the Raiders. 

If Derek Carr progresses to where he's a mid to high 80's QB then I think it's a real possibility.  His weapons should make some improvement inevitable.  He was already at a 76.6 rating with a respectable 21 and 12 TD to INT line, and that was with him throwing to Andre Holmes and James Jones.  Jarvis Landry and Michael Crabtree are two very nice additions are not a bad 1/2 WR. It's almost certainly better than anything they've had there since 2002.

Many people are expecting a decent performance out of Latavius Murray this season.  He too should be a better number 1 than what they've had in some time.  I think a young running back with his measurables offers more potential than an oft injured Darren McFadden,  a well past his prime MJD, Michael Bush, Justin Vargas, Rashad Jennings, and the other slew of names they've rostered these last 10 years.

You have a younger line, that was not terrible last season (Ranked 16th by PFT) to round out their offense.  All in all, I don't think that's a terrible group.  And, with finishing dead last year (32) in offense, there is only room for improvement.  Again, if Carr progress along wit that WR corp and Murray is even average, then I think they could have a pretty big turnaround on O.

All you really need to know about their D is that they were decent last season (21st, which should have been higher if not for a terrible offense) and they added a ton of help.  I'd say they were really looking at  middle of the pack D last season.  But they've added Dan Williams (stud NT), Curtis Lofton (very good MLB), Nate Allen (experienced DB) and Malcolm Smith (Superbowl MVP, who had started 57 games over 4 seasons for a very good Seahawks team)  With all that helped added to a young team I think that's a decent unit.  I've seen some predict top 10.

Finally, the biggest two reasons: 1.) Jack Del Rio.  2.) Law of averages.

I think he's the best head coach they've had since Chucky and damn are they due for a playoff appearance.  Even if they don't quite make it that far I do think they'll be much improved.
Reply/Quote
I could see us not making the playoffs but I also could see us winning the whole thing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Predictions....they're wrong a solid percent of the time. They're simply educated guesses, and when you can really only be educated on the NFL at a week-to-week basis, things can change quickly.

I do not think that it is a good guess that the Bengals will finish behind 6 other AFC teams, but who knows.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The Bengals won't get yearly respect until they knock the playoff monkey off their backs. It's that simple.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've said it in another thread, I'll say it here. I can see the rationale for why the Bengals might possibly be 3rd in the division. They should be in the discussion with the Ravens and Steelers for who wins the division, but I can see the argument for how they might not have as many wins.

The thing is, we could have a winning record (which I think we will) and still miss the playoffs. It's highly unlikely 3 teams from the AFCN make the playoffs again this year and possibly only the division winner will (if all 3 teams go 9-7, only the division winner will make the playoffs, IMO).

I firmly expect the Bengals to have a winning record again this year and to fight for a playoff spot. The question is, will we have a the best record in the division? Or no lower than the 6th best record in the conference?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:50 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I do not think that it is a good guess that the Bengals will finish behind 6 other AFC teams, but who knows.

This sums it up for me. Are there 6 better teams than the Bengals in the AFC? 

You never know for sure, but based on what we've seen lately, I seriously doubt it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't laugh, but I think that team may be the Raiders. 

Well they'll definitely deserve it if they do get in.

They play the AFCN and NFCN this year, along with having 3 playoff contenders in their division. They get the Titans, Jets, Bears, and Browns, but will be playing plenty of teams that will definitely be in the playoff mix.

To be honest, there just aren't many teams that look completely awful right now. Some people are quick to write off some of the 7 or less win teams as garbage, but we all know that someone HAS to win each week (barring ties of course), and even a decent team can lose 10 games with some good opponents and a little bad luck or poor coaching decisions.

The Raiders offense was as bad as advertised last year, but they've made some changes and I don't see much other than positive movement for that team. They have some promising young players on the offense and you noted their changes with the defense and coaching staff. I don't think you're crazy for mentioning Oakland, but they have to go through an abundance of contenders this year if they want to be in the hunt.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:19 PM)kramer1 Wrote: Take the league by storm with Andy Dalton at the helm? Not happening.

I cannot imagine this team making the playoffs. It all will start with a butt whooping in Oakland. Oakland will end up with a better record than the Bengals imo.

Why is it so preposterous that Dalton can help this offense be explosive? What have you seen that would show that Dalton is not able to facilitate a dynamic offense?

He has shown to be CAPABLE of this. Look at the past 3 seasons. He has had games where he has more than played his part. It is not that he is incapable. He is VERY capable. His only issue is consistency.

And now that he has the team that this organization has building around him mostly healthy, it's more than probable that Dalton will help this team reach it's full offensive potential.

And Oakland? LOL
Reply/Quote
I'm honestly not big on the steAlers this year. I'll bet the defense is a bottom half of the league squad this year. They've lost some key players and their architect.
Reply/Quote
It's understandable if you're playing the odds.

We've gone four consecutive years, which isn't the norm for most teams. And, yeah, we've only improved our team that went last year, but that team made an early exit due in large part to injuries. And we've got the majority of those guys, and potentially any injuries that may have slowed them down, coming back.

I think they're wrong, though. I still think we go 10-6, maybe 11-5 and get in. Pitt and Cleveland are going to have rough years, but Baltimore should be up there with us.
Reply/Quote