Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS Game 2 Thoughts
(08-19-2023, 11:25 AM)pally Wrote: Jackson has to outplay Morgan on special teams for him to make the team. It is far more realistic to see Jackson on the PS than on the 53 and that is regardless of what happens with Morgan

It is a tight battle for those back up DL positions.  They will be cutting guys who can contribute and it might be tough to keep some of them on the PS.  There will be some hard decisions that will have to be made.

Max Scharping cemented his place on the 53 with his play at center last night.  A versatile IOL is essential in today's NFL

Andrei Iosivas is a lock to make the team.  Those final WR spots are now a battle among Taylor, Morgan, Lassiter, and Jones.  Darren Simmons will likely decide who stays and who goes.

Whichever punter loses the job, he won't be unemployed for long.  I suspect they won't survive waivers.

Good post. 

I no way do I think Jackson makes the team. But having him on the PS means we don't really need Morgan. The gunner spot can be Anderson or Ivey or Battle. 

53: 
QB (2): Burrow + Browning
RB (4): Mixon, Williams, Evans, Brown 
WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Irwin, Iosivas, Jones 
TE (3): Smith; Sample, Hudson (team will choose Asiasi) 
OT (4): Brown, Williams, Carman, Smith 
IOL (5): Cappa, Karras, Volson; Scharping, Ford 
------------------ 
DE (6): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, Murphy, Sample, Johnson III
DT/NT (5): Reader, Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele   
LB (5): Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Bachie 
CB (6): Awuzie, CTB, Hilton; Turner, Ivey, Davis 
S (4): Scott, Hill; Battle, Anderson 
----------- 
Specials: McPherson, Robbins, Adomitis 
---------- 
PUP: Collins, Wilcox 

PS: 
1. Thomas, S, Vet #1
2. Gunter, DE 
3. Basham, DE/OLB, Vet #2
4. Jones, CB, Vet #3
5. Davis, DT/NT 
6. Taylor, WR/PR, Vet #4
7. Hill, C/G, 2+
8. Adeniji, OT, 2+
9. Chrisman, P 
10. George, CB 
11. Asiasi, TE, 2+
12. Jackson, WR 
13. Siemian, QB, Vet #5
14. Brown, G/C  
15. Lassiter/Morgan 
16. Best LB left 

Surely, some of these guys will get poached & we may get someone on the waiver wire. And there are still camp battles. 
Reply/Quote
I know it was their first work, but from the little I saw (I did not see much) it looked like the defensive line - in fact the whole front 7 got manhandled by Atlanta. Robinson's going to be a really good back, but we made him look better than he needed to. If our backs had that kind of blocking they would be pretty impressive.

Hopefully the starters will make them look better. And again - Rust and Communication, but I did not think the d-line looked good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 11:32 AM)RancidJedi Wrote: Can we start a thread about safety Scott.  My god he is horrible.  He misses tackles , doesn’t make plays and blocked easily and simple zone reads where a TE runs a cross he is late to react.  I see Battle taking his spot by mid season for sure.

Also thought Turner was subpar in the snaps he had, I'm hoping Awuzie is ready by game 1. I'm less worried about Scott up and down play, he has proven he can perform on NFL level and in big games
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Also thought Turner was subpar in the snaps he had, I'm hoping Awuzie is ready by game 1. I'm less worried about Scott up and down play, he has proven he can perform on NFL level and in big games

Yeah that's why I wanted to keep Apple another year. We know he could be our 1 if needed. Hopefully Turner ends up being good and he has definitely had his moments so far I just assume he'll be inconsistent at the very least as a 2nd round rookie. I watched the drive again and I think Scott looked fine. He may have missed a tackle and he came in on the pass to Bijan and was blocked by a guard which looked borderline to in the back. Most plays he seemed to be playing deep and wasn't involved. It also looked like he would've made the pick on the Hilton tip if Ossai wasn't there.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 03:13 PM)3wt Wrote: I know it was their first work, but from the little I saw (I did not see much) it looked like the defensive line - in fact the whole front 7 got manhandled by Atlanta.   Robinson's going to be a really good back, but we made him look better than he needed to.  If our backs had that kind of blocking they would be pretty impressive.

Hopefully the starters will make them look better.   And again - Rust and Communication, but I did not think the d-line looked good.

Starters? I literally think every starter got some time on the Dline in that 1st series. I think the kind of offense they were running it was hard to get pressure. I won't read too much into it. 

I am glad Dax made the tackle on Bijan because he was gone if he missed it and we would be seeing that highlight everywhere.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 09:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Carman has found a home at backup LT

Our #3 QB is very mobile

Jeff Gunther looks good

Charlie Jones did not

Was disappointed in the play of Zac Carter

Bo Jackson's relative had a good game and secured at least a PS position

RJ3 looked like Vonn Miller out there

The punter gig is not settled

Thought Charlie Jones found his nitch in this one, don't know why you say he didn't look good. Browning played so much better this 
game and so did Carman, both these guys were terrible in the first PS game though, so looking much better was kind of expected.

Still, it is nice seeing the terrible in the last game look much better in this game. Siemian played bad again though. Overall the OL
was way better in this one and made me feel better about the depth.

Agree on Gunter and Raymond Johnson III, both these guys were getting a lot of pressure. Basham better get healthy or he may not
get that last End spot. Bailey almost had a couple picks.

Shedrick Jackson looks really fast and made some nice catches and with some accuracy from the QB in Browning we actually saw his
talent on display. Iosivas played good once again and I think he will be active this season in a lot of games, his size and how he boxes 
out defenders should be valuable in the RZ at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah that's why I wanted to keep Apple another year. We know he could be our 1 if needed. Hopefully Turner ends up being good and he has definitely had his moments so far I just assume he'll be inconsistent at the very least as a 2nd round rookie. I watched the drive again and I think Scott looked fine. He may have missed a tackle and he came in on the pass to Bijan and was blocked by a guard which looked borderline to in the back. Most plays he seemed to be playing deep and wasn't involved. It also looked like he would've made the pick on the Hilton tip if Ossai wasn't there.

The misdirection pass to the TE he missed as well. I saw nothing positive not sure what drive you watched.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Starters? I literally think every starter got some time on the Dline in that 1st series. I think the kind of offense they were running it was hard to get pressure. I won't read too much into it. 

I am glad Dax made the tackle on Bijan because he was gone if he missed it and we would be seeing that highlight everywhere.

Yeah, that is a talented team Offensively, especially with the addition of Bijan. Dax's tackle might of saved a TD there. Bijan Robinson 
might be the next great young RB, he is that good. Great balance, burst, speed, hands, vision, he has it all and Atlanta's OL is a great
run blocking one. It was a good test and we got hammered a few times, I don't think Reader played in that first series?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 01:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good post. 

I no way do I think Jackson makes the team. But having him on the PS means we don't really need Morgan. The gunner spot can be Anderson or Ivey or Battle. 

53: 
------------------ 
----------- 
---------- 

PS: 
1. Thomas, S, Vet #1
2. Gunter, DE 
4. Jones, CB, Vet #3
5. Davis, DT/NT 
6. Taylor, WR/PR, Vet #4
7. Hill, C/G, 2+
8. Adeniji, OT, 2+
9. Chrisman, P 
10. George, CB 
11. Asiasi, TE, 2+
12. Jackson, WR 
13. Siemian, QB, Vet #5
14. Brown, G/C  
15. Lassiter/Morgan 
16. Best LB left 

Surely, some of these guys will get poached & we may get someone on the waiver wire. And there are still camp battles. 

Nice! Agree with all of this except I see the team keeping Michael Thomas as a 5th Safety for Special Teams and Veteran leadership over Johnson III

I also hope Siemian doesn’t even make the Practice Squad. I’ve personally seen enough lol

Also, I could see Wilcox getting the 3rd TE spot but that depends on his health. I was impressed with Hudson in preseason game 1 so I hope he sticks.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 01:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good post. 

53: 
------------------ 
----------- 
---------- 

PS: 
1. Thomas, S, Vet #1
2. Gunter, DE 
4. Jones, CB, Vet #3
5. Davis, DT/NT 
6. Taylor, WR/PR, Vet #4
7. Hill, C/G, 2+
8. Adeniji, OT, 2+
9. Chrisman, P 
10. George, CB 
11. Asiasi, TE, 2+
12. Jackson, WR 
13. Siemian, QB, Vet #5
14. Brown, G/C  
15. Lassiter/Morgan 
16. Best LB left 

Just looking at this I agree with pretty much all your thoughts and wish we would keep Hudson over Asiasi but you are 
probably right and we keep Asiasi who has been pretty Assiassi...

Hudson impressed me in the first PS game before he went down, Asiasi has never impressed me here at all...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, that is a talented team Offensively, especially with the addition of Bijan. Dax's tackle might of saved a TD there. Bijan Robinson 
might be the next great young RB, he is that good. Great balance, burst, speed, hands, vision, he has it all and Atlanta's OL is a great
run blocking one. It was a good test and we got hammered a few times, I don't think Reader played in that first series?

I'm pretty sure he did. I believe I saw him out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm pretty sure he did. I believe I saw him out there.

Hmmm, I saw BJ Hill out there for sure on the first series and Trey and Sam, but somehow, I missed the big man. Shocked

BTW, of the DT's last night Tupou actually looked pretty good and Tufele actually had the worst game I have seen him have yet
with us. Dominique Davis was pretty invisible as well who looked good in the first game. Zach Carter made one nice play and was
getting some pressure in the middle. Hope Carter continues to just get better and better.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:37 PM)RancidJedi Wrote: The misdirection pass to the TE he missed as well.  I saw nothing positive not sure what drive you watched.

Yeah I saw that too. I didn't say I necessarily saw a lot of positives just that he was the deep safety and wasn't really involved in the play. The play he got blocked by the OL he was running in trying to make a tackle. Also it looked like he could've made the pick if Ossai wasn't there so at least he was there. I wasn't that high on Scott and not really trying to defend him I'm just trying to not read too much into one way or the other.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:58 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I saw that too. I didn't say I necessarily saw a lot of positives just that he was the deep safety and wasn't really involved in the play. The play he got blocked by the OL he was running in trying to make a tackle. Also it looked like he could've made the pick if Ossai wasn't there so at least he was there. I wasn't that high on Scott and not really trying to defend him I'm just trying to not read too much into one way or the other.

Fair enough. I saw a few Rams games since my buddy is a huge fan and he was not a fan of him. I’m trying to be positive and like the guy but we can’t have a liability at safety which I clearly saw in the first series. I’m predicting Battle starting by midseasom .
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ...Dominique Davis was pretty invisible as well who looked good in the first game...

Davis got some pressure and tied with the lead in tackles at 5.  I thought he looked pretty good again
Reply/Quote
On defense, I thought Johnson III looked good. I thought Dominique Davis looked good again. Ossai only had one tackle but I thought he played well.

On offense, even though they didnt play a great game I thought the #2 and #3 O line did a much better job than they did last week. Carman plays better as a LT. Shedrick Jackson I thought had the best game on offense with 4 targets and 4 catches. Jones looked alright but nothing special. Iosivas so far looks like a project to me, 10 targets with 5 catches. Im not as sure as others on here, he makes the 53 man roster. It will be interesting to see what happens next week. See if any of them can elevate themselves the last preseason game.

edit: and Robbins... Still not liking that pick. Guy just doesnt have a strong enough leg. We are inside the 10 and he cant kick it past midfield. He lucked out he kicked it so short the return man wasnt close and it rolled past the 50.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:33 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Davis got some pressure and tied with the lead in tackles at 5.  I thought he looked pretty good again

Need to watch the game again tomorrow. Thanks, I only saw one pressure but I do like Davis.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: On defense, I thought Johnson III looked good.  I thought Dominique Davis looked good again.  Ossai only had one tackle but I thought he played well.  

On offense, even though they didnt play a great game I thought the #2 and #3 O line did a much better job than they did last week. Carman plays better as a LT.  Shedrick Jackson I thought had the best game on offense with 4 targets and 4 catches.  Jones looked alright but nothing special. Iosivas so far looks like a project to me, 10 targets with 5 catches.  Im not as sure as others on here, he makes the 53 man roster.  It will be interesting to see what happens next week.  See if any of them can elevate themselves the last preseason game.

edit:  and Robbins...  Still not liking that pick. Guy just doesnt have a strong enough leg.  We are inside the 10 and he cant kick it past midfield.  He lucked out he kicked it so short the return man wasnt close and it rolled past the 50.

Thought Ossai got a Sack as well where the QB fell down after he knicked him.

Agreed on the one Robbins Punt. That was lucky the PR guy couldn't catch it. Made Robbins look better than he actually was.
Reply/Quote
To me Charlie did what I’d expect him to do if he plays in the regular season

Got open and caught important 3rd downs

Factor in too that I’d assume whenever Jones is in with guys like Hippenhammer and Dion Sanders’ nephew, Jones is getting the defensive attention. He won’t play even one NFL snap this year where heel have extra attention on him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
So far, I'm liking Jake better than Trevor as the #2. I think taking Burrow's advice to work with Jordan Palmer has improved Browning quite a bit. He seems to be closer to Burrow when it comes to escaping pressure than Semien is.
Reply/Quote