Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmer: Facing Bengals "not just another game"
(11-22-2015, 12:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What does he have to complain about?  Is he mad about a team that wanted him and paid a lot of money to have him here?  "Thoses asses thought I was an important asset and paid me accordingly. Grrrr"

Probably finally got tired of the circus and wanted to try being the QB of a real NFL football team and The MB wanted to do things his way...

Or maybe he was beyond tired and didn't believe there would ever be a change and just wanted out.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What does he have to complain about?  Is he mad about a team that wanted him and paid a lot of money to have him here?  "Thoses asses thought I was an important asset and paid me accordingly. Grrrr"

Gee, maybe he was complaining about the same thinkgs that all the other players who wanted out of the Bengals.

If Palmer was the only one to do it then I might criticize him more for it.  But when  it is a common practice for Bengals to want out of here I have think there must be something to it.

If a guy who has been divorced four times tells you he is getting divorced again do you still think the wives were always the ones at fault?
Reply/Quote
he is “not going to get into a ‘he-said, she-said’ situation” with Brown.

I wonder which one he considers the SHE?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Lest we forget he is also the last Bengal who wanted out.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gee, maybe he was complaining about the same thinkgs that all the other players who wanted out of the Bengals.

If Palmer was the only one to do it then I might criticize him more for it.  But when  it is a common practice for Bengals to want out of here I have think there must be something to it.

If a guy who has been divorced four times tells you he is getting divorced again do you still think the wives were always the ones at fault?

Corey Dillon
Carl Pickens
Takeo Spikes
Dan Wilkinson
Carson Palmer

One of these players is not like the others. Only one had enjoyed being part of 2 playoff teams while being the highest paid player at his position.

When Dillon wanted out after his 7th consecutive non-winning season, I understood. Same with Pickens and Spikes. Comparing their situations to Palmer's? Please. Palmer was on 2 bad teams and he wasn't even healthy for one of those.

The Bengals were a respectable franchise during Palmer's tenure. They were almost always competitive. Marv has always been a solid (regular season) coach. Out of 7 seasons with Palmer as starter, they made the playoffs twice and were at least in the hunt a couple more times.

I would've understood if the Bengals had been annual losers for 4-5+ seasons, but they'd just won their division 1 year prior. So forgive me if I don't have sympathy for Palmer's situation. For those saying he wanted to get away from the "circus", he's the one who lobbied hard for TO. I'm not sure why some pretend that didn't happen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The big thing I will never understand is how some fans seemingly pardon Palmer because of how things worked out for the Bengals. Does anyone really think that was remotely the intent of Palmer's actions? He thought that when he left (and so did most of the talking heads around the NFL) that the Bengals would not win a game without him. They would become the biggest dumpster fire in the NFL.

That didn't happen. They CONTINUED (it was like this already) to draft and develop talent, make sound decisions in FA, and they developed a tougher mentality than they had when he was the leader of this team. He is just pissed that the team was better, and actually, a LOT better without him. But give him credit for that? Never.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 02:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Corey Dillon
Carl Pickens
Takeo Spikes
Dan Wilkinson
Carson Palmer

One of these players is not like the others. Only one had enjoyed being part of 2 playoff teams while being the highest paid player at his position.

When Dillon wanted out after his 7th consecutive non-winning season, I understood. Same with Pickens and Spikes. Comparing their situations to Palmer's? Please. Palmer was on 2 bad teams and he wasn't even healthy for one of those.

The Bengals were a respectable franchise during Palmer's tenure. They were almost always competitive. Marv has always been a solid (regular season) coach. Out of 7 seasons with Palmer as starter, they made the playoffs twice and were at least in the hunt a couple more times.

I would've understood if the Bengals had been annual losers for 4-5+ seasons, but they'd just won their division 1 year prior. So forgive me if I don't have sympathy for Palmer's situation. For those saying he wanted to get away from the "circus", he's the one who lobbied hard for TO. I'm not sure why some pretend that didn't happen.

I would never make excuses for Palmer because i thought it was BS the way he handled it. But i would try to put myself in the situation.

They had much more success the first 7 years he was here, compared to the 12 seasons prior. With that said, i don't think anyone believes they showed a different commitment to winning when you look at the "characters" they continued to bring in, i.e., all the arrests, ochocinco, the tocho show, etc. 

It's easier for a fan to not understand when they're not in the locker room and they view the team by the end of season results and see that they're winning more often. It's especially easier to be upset at him when you sit back and see the results of the last 4+ years. They've drafted better, picked up better FAs and stopped bringing in head cases. It's been way more business-like since '11 and more like a competitive NFL team without all the distractions.

With that said, i don't give him a pass for the ultimatum. But i can see how a guy with Palmer's mindset would get tired of the way things were while he was here. He may have lobbied for TO but TO was at the end of his career and even with his checkered past, he put up HOF numbers, so i can see why Palmer would lobby for him. That doesn't mean that once he's here, you regret the decision. I can clearly recall many times we saw the typical TO pouting and the lack of effort when he was pouting, like when he was walking back to the line of scrimmage against the Colts when the Bengals were in a hurry up mode at the end of the game.

None of what happened makes it ok, what Palmer did. But after a while, i can look at it without the emotion and see things that would make him want out. The last one in a line of good Bengals players that wanted out after a few years in the organization.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 10:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I would never make excuses for Palmer because i thought it was BS the way he handled it. But i would try to put myself in the situation.

They had much more success the first 7 years he was here, compared to the 12 seasons prior. With that said, i don't think anyone believes they showed a different commitment to winning when you look at the "characters" they continued to bring in, i.e., all the arrests, ochocinco, the tocho show, etc. 

It's easier for a fan to not understand when they're not in the locker room and they view the team by the end of season results and see that they're winning more often. It's especially easier to be upset at him when you sit back and see the results of the last 4+ years. They've drafted better, picked up better FAs and stopped bringing in head cases. It's been way more business-like since '11 and more like a competitive NFL team without all the distractions.

With that said, i don't give him a pass for the ultimatum. But i can see how a guy with Palmer's mindset would get tired of the way things were while he was here. He may have lobbied for TO but TO was at the end of his career and even with his checkered past, he put up HOF numbers, so i can see why Palmer would lobby for him. That doesn't mean that once he's here, you regret the decision. I can clearly recall many times we saw the typical TO pouting and the lack of effort when he was pouting, like when he was walking back to the line of scrimmage against the Colts when the Bengals were in a hurry up mode at the end of the game.

None of what happened makes it ok, what Palmer did. But after a while, i can look at it without the emotion and see things that would make him want out. The last one in a line of good Bengals players that wanted out after a few years in the organization.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but still a pig.

Why is so hard for anyone to understand he quit. Whittworth did not quit, he became a part of the solution and not the problem, that is what leaders do.

I find it hilarious that we have 4 or 5 guys publicly demand to leave since the Bengal's inception and some of our fans act like it is the norm when it fact it is a very low percent of our roster.

In the end, Palmer cried like a 3 year old took his bonus money (yes he ripped MB off) and forced a trade. He quit and I have stated this many times. he was wrong. Andy Dalton is on the verge of history winning with Palmer's old team, a guy who was forced to start with a rookie #1 WR, new OC and no training camp due to the strike.

Palmer may have looked like a prophet is the Bengals fell on their face after hos last 4-12 season, but in reality, it appears the major issue was Carson Palmer, once he left, we became a better and more consistent football team. I think that is why Palmer is upset, he thought he knew more than MB and he was wrong and all of the wins since prove it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 11:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why is so hard for anyone to understand he quit.

I fully understand he quit.

He just what every other person here would do if he was at a job he did not like and was financially able to quit.  Who would be dumb enough to stay at a job they hate when they have millions of dollars to live on?

The only people who are not allowed to quit a job are elected officials and military personnel.   
Reply/Quote
You know Sunday night they're going to replay Palmer's highlights with the Bengals, including the infamous moment. Guaranteed.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 02:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Corey Dillon
Carl Pickens
Takeo Spikes
Dan Wilkinson
Carson Palmer

If you can't understand how Palmer felt when he left just ask any of the 95% of the Bengal fans who were cursing Mike Brown after the '10 season and claiming that the franchise would never win anything with him in charge.

All Palmer did was agree with what an overwhelming majority of the fans were saying, yet now those same fans rip him for agreeing with them.. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I fully understand he quit.

He just what every other person here would do if he was at a job he did not like and was financially able to quit.  Who would be dumb enough to stay at a job they hate when they have millions of dollars to live on?

The only people who are not allowed to quit a job are elected officials and military personnel.   

I understand anyone can quit.

I don't understand how anyone could compare a guy paid extremely well quitting and it being swept under the rug.

He is not any employee, he was a QB with a ton of power and supposed leader of our football team. He showed his true colors and character just as a guy like Whittworth also showed his resolve to be a part of the solution. CP's decision was his decision so he gets to live with it. I know if I were a Cardinal teammate or fan, I would not be confident Palmer would be committed to winning or committed when things got tough, he has proven he has no mental resolve and is a poor leader.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you can't understand how Palmer felt when he left just ask any of the 95% of the Bengal fans who were cursing Mike Brown after the '10 season and claiming that the franchise would never win anything with him in charge.

All Palmer did was agree with what an overwhelming majority of the fans were saying, yet now those same fans rip him for agreeing with them.. 

Those fans just like Palmer were dead wrong. That is the issue, those fans and Palmer can't admit they were dummies and really had no idea what was needed. The guys who did were MB, ML, Katie and Tobin. They had the guts to ignore the fan base and make the right decisions. But many refuse to admit they were wrong and the Bengals FO and head coach were right.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't understand how anyone could compare a guy paid extremely well quitting and it being swept under the rug.

When was any of this "swept under the rug"?

(11-22-2015, 12:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know if I were a Cardinal teammate or fan, I would not be confident Palmer would be committed to winning or committed when things got tough, he has proven he has no mental resolve and is a poor leader.

Palmer has returned from multiple severe injuries.  He is tough as nails.

Arizona Fans love him because he is winning.  If he stops winning then a lot of them will want him replaced....JUST LIKE A LOT OF BENGAL FANS WANTED IN 2010.  Remember him getting booed the same day he set the franchise record for passing yards?  Now those same fans who called him a bum and a loser are upset that he left?  The same fans who said the Bengals would never win anything under Mike Brown are hating on Palmer for saying the same thing?  None of this makes any sense.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Those fans just like Palmer were dead wrong. That is the issue, those fans and Palmer can't admit they were dummies and really had no idea what was needed. The guys who did were MB, ML, Katie and Tobin. They had the guts to ignore the fan base and make the right decisions. But many refuse to admit they were wrong and the Bengals FO and head coach were right.

Except you have no idea what was going on in the front office when Palmer threatened to leave.  Perhaps his leaving was a catalyst for change.

None of us know what was going on.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Those fans just like Palmer were dead wrong. That is the issue, those fans and Palmer can't admit they were dummies and really had no idea what was needed.

So will you admit you were 100% wrong about this statement...

(11-22-2015, 12:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  he has proven he has no mental resolve and is a poor leader.

.....if Palmer takes the Cards to the Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you can't understand how Palmer felt when he left just ask any of the 95% of the Bengal fans who were cursing Mike Brown after the '10 season and claiming that the franchise would never win anything with him in charge.

Well Mike Brown did not make any fan a very wealthy man. One so wealthy that he could threaten to retire.

Comparing Carson to fans does absolutely nothing to help your argument; in fact, it does just the opposite.

Oh yeah, Carson can kick  rocks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well Mike Brown did not make any fan a very wealthy man. One so wealthy that he could threaten to retire.

Comparing Carson to fans does absolutely nothing to help your argument; in fact, it does just the opposite.

Oh yeah, Carson can kick  rocks

Don't act like Mike Brown was doing Palmer a favor.  Palmer earned that contract and would have gotten it someplace else if not from the Bengals.

People who make lots of money quit and change jobs all the time.  They don't think that their boss "owns them" just because they get paid a fair wage for their skills.

Another funny thing.  People around here are always saying we should release certain players when they still have years left on their contracts, but then they scream bloody murder just because Palmer left with years left on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So will you admit you were 100% wrong about this statement...

.....if Palmer takes the Cards to the Super Bowl?

If Palmer wins a Super Bowl and plays well in the playoffs and in that game, I will admit is a very good NFL QB, but his leadership skills will not change in my opinion.

Leaders don't quit. Leaders are problem solvers and not problems.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't act like Mike Brown was doing Palmer a favor.  Palmer earned that contract and would have gotten it someplace else if not from the Bengals.

People who make lots of money quit and change jobs all the time.  They don't think that their boss "owns them" just because they get paid a fair wage for their skills.

Another funny thing.  People around here are always saying we should release certain players when they still have years left on their contracts, but then they scream bloody murder just because Palmer left with years left on his contract.

Palmer raped the Bengals by leaving with the biggest bonus ever given a Bengals player. He was given that bonus for a long term contract, a long term contract he refused to honor.

Who cares if another team would have paid him as that has no relevance. He did not honor the contract. As for your lame argument about MB honoring contracts, it is lame as well and you know it has no legal merit. The team contracts allow for outs in the contract (for the team), they do not for the player in 99% of the cases once all guarantees are met which is the true contract number, the rest is honored based on performance per the contract.

Reply/Quote