Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Palmer Says Burrow Is Better Than Mahomes!
Palmer would take Burrow over Mahomes because he's "more consistent."

I LOVE that Palmer's talking good about this franchise after we all hated him for so long!

I softened when it came out how he demanded change, was promised it, and then only left when Mike reneged.

He doesn't mention how Burrow has shown he's the best behind a bad line but you know it had to be in his mind.

Quote:The Bengals and Chiefs need no help bolstering their rivalry, but a former Cincinnati quarterback decided to add fuel to the fire regardless.
"I think Joe (Burrow) is the best quarterback in the league," Carson Palmer said last week on The QB Room podcast. "I know Patrick (Mahomes) is phenomenal, but I just think Joe's more consistent. He's more consistent. He's more accountable to run the system and the play that's called and not feel like, 'Well, he didn't win last time and get open for me, so I'm gonna do it with my feet,' and then before you know it, you're sacked for a four-yard loss because you tried to make two or three guys miss.

Palmer's "adding fuel to the fire" and I LOVE IT! He knows that this will be the best rivalries in the league- Burrow vs Mahomes and us vs the Chiefs- for the next fifteen years or so!

Quote:"Joe is just -- talk about not having a weakness -- mentally strong, physically tough, accurate, can throw it far enough, fast enough, gets the ball out quick, and then he can actually do a lot with his legs. He just rarely shows it. I think he's as athletic outside the pocket and can do a lot of the same things Patrick Mahomes has done. He hasn't done it and showed it yet. He's played more within his system and style. But I think he's the best quarterback in the league."

That's basically saying he can do everything Pat can do, plus morse.

There's more in the article but a lot of it making sure they don't make it sound like we're better than the Chiefs and to kiss their asses:

Quote:Mahomes has the hardware to back up his claim as king of the hill, as well as a longer history of excellence and the most recent victory despite a 1-3 head-to-head record versus Burrow, but their stat lines during the past two seasons aren't remarkably far off.

I LOVE that Palmer's giving us props and I hope he cheers us on to a few Super Bowls!
Reply/Quote
Mahommes has to win right now. He has 2 rings and has a the main reason his team got those rings.

But i will say if you could magically guarantee that both QBs had the same EXACT team I’d take Burrow.

It’s easy to look better when you’ve got that offensive line
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 07:57 PM)Housh Wrote: Mahommes has to win right now. He has 2 rings and has a the main reason his team got those rings.

But i will say if you could magically guarantee that both QBs had the same EXACT team I’d take Burrow.

It’s easy to look better when you’ve got that offensive line

Exactly.

He's had much better teams.

Palmer sees that and was too classy to flat-out say our offensive line sucked or we'd have at least two rings.
Reply/Quote
Mahomes is still QB1, but the fact that it’s even a discussion at all is pretty great.

We’re very, very lucky to have Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think Mahomes is the undisputed #1 for the time being. I don't really agree he has the better team either. The Bengals have had the better defense certainly, and an edge in the skill positions- especially this past season.

I actually wish Burrow would adopt Mahomes' willingness to avoid danger early on in certain crucial situations. On that last sack in the AFCCG, from the limited TV view it looked as if Burrow could have escaped to his left and perhaps even run for a first down.
Reply/Quote
If any team could pick one to quarterback their team I doubt more than a very few would take Joey B.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 08:23 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I think Mahomes is the undisputed #1 for the time being.  I don't really agree he has the better team either.  The Bengals have had the better defense certainly, and an edge in the skill positions- especially this past season.

I actually wish Burrow would adopt Mahomes' willingness to avoid danger early on in certain crucial situations.  On that last sack in the AFCCG, from the limited TV view it looked as if Burrow could have escaped to his left and perhaps even run for a first down.

Mahomes has Reid though. Which offensively I think more than makes up for the possible slight better weapons we may have had. 

Mahomes is obviously great in his own right and would be a really good QB anywhere but I think Burrow with the Chiefs also would have 2 superbowl wins. 

That said, Mahomes currently has 2 Superbowls to Burrows 0 so you can't say Burrow is QB1.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 09:59 PM)TheFan Wrote: Mahomes has Reid though. Which offensively I think more than makes up for the possible slight better weapons we may have had. 

Mahomes is obviously great in his own right and would be a really good QB anywhere but I think Burrow with the Chiefs also would have 2 superbowl wins. 

That said, Mahomes currently has 2 Superbowls to Burrows 0 so you can't say Burrow is QB1.

Technically rings aren't always an indicator of best QB, but Mahomes isn't like Bradshaw/Dilfer level.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 07:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Palmer would take Burrow over Mahomes because he's "more consistent."

I LOVE that Palmer's talking good about this franchise after we all hated him for so long!

I softened when it came out how he demanded change, was promised it, and then only left when Mike reneged.

He doesn't mention how Burrow has shown he's the best behind a bad line but you know it had to be in his mind.

Palmer's "adding fuel to the fire" and I LOVE IT! He knows that this will be the best rivalries in the league- Burrow vs Mahomes and us vs the Chiefs- for the next fifteen years or so!

There's more in the article but a lot of it making sure they don't make it sound like we're better than the Chiefs and to kiss their asses:

I LOVE that Palmer's giving us props and I hope he cheers us on to a few Super Bowls!

Boy, they'll let any old optimist in here huh?
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Wazuuuup Bradley!  Joe IS better than, even...TRUMP!  LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 08:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mahomes is still QB1, but the fact that it’s even a discussion at all is pretty great.

We’re very, very lucky to have Burrow.

I'll take Burrow...for $100 Alex.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Its' really hard to pick against Mahomes right now.

The guys elusiveness in the pocket is what puts him over the edge for me. He can make something out of nothing on any given play.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow and Mahomes are 1 & 2. However, I think Burrow is #2. I was pretty confident Burrow would end providing a strong argument to overtake Allen but I am not so confident about Mahomes. Dude is an absolute wizard and is the most frustrating QB to play against.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 07:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Palmer would take Burrow over Mahomes because he's "more consistent."

I haven't softened on Palmer, and him now trying to praise the Bengals and get back on the good side of all things Bengals train just doesn't work for me. I really wasn't mad at him for leaving. He pissed me off with the continual shots he has felt the need to take to bash all things Bengals from the time he left until now. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 10:04 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think Burrow and Mahomes are 1 & 2. However, I think Burrow is #2. I was pretty confident Burrow would end providing a strong argument to overtake Allen but I am not so confident about Mahomes. Dude is an absolute wizard and is the most frustrating QB to play against.

It's hard to rank them one and two because their strengths and weaknesses aren't the same. Mahomes is a better athlete and has a stronger arm. Burrow is better at dissecting defenses and I believe is more accurate. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 10:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's hard to rank them one and two because their strengths and weaknesses aren't the same. Mahomes is a better athlete and has a stronger arm. Burrow is better at dissecting defenses and I believe is more accurate. 

That's the case with most QBs, though, right? QBs will have different skillsets that make them unique but which of those skillsets produces the better player? I think that given Mahomes' success and production it is just incredibly hard to put Burrow over him. Everything that Burrow is elite at, Mahomes is also elite at with Mahomes being better at avoiding pressure and his stronger arm.

Side comment about the arm strength bit. I am working on a project where I calculate maximum ball velocity for each QB so we can get a ranking of sorts for arm strength. The fastest throw I found for Burrow all season was 55 MPH while Mahomes was just a hair under 62 MPH. However, I do want to say one thing - arm strength is pretty overrated. For all of these QBs, I end up watching 50-60 throws before moving on. The vast majority of these passes, even Mahomes, are clocking in around 48-52 MPH. It's pretty rare that these guys actually gun one in. 
Reply/Quote
I think it's a wash

Pure QB, pocket passer, reading the defense, anticipating throws, accuracy, throwing guys open and so on = Joe Burrow

Athleticism, scrambling, throwing off balance and sidearm, backyard football off script plays = Mahomes

But I'd put Joe 1A and Mahomes 1B 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:13 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's the case with most QBs, though, right? QBs will have different skillsets that make them unique but which of those skillsets produces the better player? I think that given Mahomes' success and production it is just incredibly hard to put Burrow over him. Everything that Burrow is elite at, Mahomes is also elite at with Mahomes being better at avoiding pressure and his stronger arm.

Side comment about the arm strength bit. I am working on a project where I calculate maximum ball velocity for each QB so we can get a ranking of sorts for arm strength. The fastest throw I found for Burrow all season was 55 MPH while Mahomes was just a hair under 62 MPH. However, I do want to say one thing - arm strength is pretty overrated. For all of these QBs, I end up watching 50-60 throws before moving on. The vast majority of these passes, even Mahomes, are clocking in around 48-52 MPH. It's pretty rare that these guys actually gun one in. 

You can really overcome arm strength with accuracy and ball placement. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You can really overcome arm strength with accuracy and ball placement. 

Yeah, that's what I have seen with Burrow. When I was watching his tape, his average ball velocity is 48 MPH. Some of those are on tight throws as well, he just places it very well and throws it on time.

Also, a lot of these guys are wide open from an NFL perspective. Just no need to use that arm strength. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:13 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's the case with most QBs, though, right? QBs will have different skillsets that make them unique but which of those skillsets produces the better player? I think that given Mahomes' success and production it is just incredibly hard to put Burrow over him. Everything that Burrow is elite at, Mahomes is also elite at with Mahomes being better at avoiding pressure and his stronger arm.

That's the thing though. Football is a team sport. If Burrow had the Chief's Oline for the last couple of years, and Mahomes had ours, a lot of those production numbers and success would be flipped. That's why I don't put too much in these conversations about which QB is the best when they are close. You have to look at the teams they play on.
Reply/Quote
As long as Mahomes and Andy Reid are on the Chiefs, the Chiefs will always be a force to be reckoned with.
This could ultimately get into the whole Manning vs Brady debate back in the 2000's up to the point Manning retired.
At the time, Manning had the records but Brady had the rings because he always had the better overall team.

I think ultimately, Burrow and Mahomes are in that top tier, but the Chiefs have had the better team longer and a top-tier offensive mind running the show. The big test was to see if they could keep their level of play after Mahomes signed his big contract, and they found a way.

It's going to be Mahomes, Burrow, and probably Josh Allen for a long time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote