Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parenting and Lying
(04-27-2016, 12:33 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Please do tell.   

Forbidding them to play the sports they might want to.

That has nothing to do with discipline.  That has to do with trying to force your personal beliefs on your children.
(04-27-2016, 12:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I am not confusing anything.  Averyone here is just twisting my words to what they want to say.

All I ever said was that I never respected a coach who just screamed and yelled all the time.  There are lots of people around here who think a coach has to scream like a madman to be a good coach.  I strongly disagree with this.  Some of the best coaches are the ones who don't just scream and yell to motivate players.

My dad was strict with me yet he was still my friend.  It is sad that some of you think you have to be an asshole to your kids in order to be a good parent.  It is not a bad thing to be friends with your children.

So everyone here is in cahoots to twist your words?   

This part about the coach is exactly why I made the comment that you just don't get it....  Coaches don't yell for the sake of yelling.   Once again on field and off field are two different scenarios.   

Name one thing that I am doing to be an ahole to my kids?   And once again a parents role isn't to be buddies with their kids .....  It's to lead them down the right path and provide stability so they can grow.    

If you find being friends with your kids is best  for you then so be it.....  But for me and my family .... And it looks like several other families here .....  We choose a different approach.    
(04-27-2016, 12:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Forbidding them to play the sports they might want to.

That has nothing to do with discipline.  That has to do with trying to force your personal beliefs on your children.

They are girls.   They play any girls sport they wish.     

What it has to do with is that I don't think my girls should be forced to compete against boys on a physical basis.  Boys and girls are seperated for a reason. 
(04-25-2016, 01:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I hope you will not be one of those parents who tells other people's kids "the truth" about everything because you think they deserve to know.

Why in the hell would I want to talk to somebody else's kids?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(04-27-2016, 08:40 PM)jason Wrote: Why in the hell would I want to talk to somebody else's kids?

Haha.... Love it.   Would rep you if I was able.   
(04-27-2016, 03:32 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They are girls.   They play any girls sport they wish.     

What it has to do with is that I don't think my girls should be forced to compete against boys on a physical basis.  Boys and girls are seperated for a reason. 

And this is why you are such an oppressive parent.

These are just your "beliefs".  The fact is that thousands of girls have lots of fun playing boys sports and are not damaged in any way.  The fact that you forbid your girls from playing certain sports is just you forcing your beliefs on them.  It has nothing to do with discipline.  And there is no reason that they can't other than your beliefs which have been proven wrong by thousands of girls across the country.
(04-27-2016, 03:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Name one thing that I am doing to be an ahole to my kids?  

Forbidding them from playing sports they may want to just based on your beliefs about separation of the sexes.
(04-27-2016, 03:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:   Coaches don't yell for the sake of yelling.   

Yes they do.

Good coaches can correct and teach without screaming.

I went through college and grad school without teachers constantly screaming at me.

I work important jobs without bosses screaming at me.

Tony Dungy became one of the most successful coaches in NFL history without relying on screaming at his players

Coaches just yell because they are limited and can't think of a better tactic.
(04-27-2016, 03:32 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They are girls.   They play any girls sport they wish.     

You don't want them playing coed sports with boys, or sports that you feel are "boy" sports? I get not wanting them to play coed sports, but that really shouldn't be an issue beyond age 7. 
(04-27-2016, 10:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaches just yell because they are limited and can't think of a better tactic.

Let me take a step back on this comment.

With some players screaming does work to motivate them.  In those cases it is fine for the coach to yell.  But it never worked with me.

So it is not always bad to yell at some players.  It is just stupid to not be able to tell which players respond to yelling and which do not.
(04-27-2016, 10:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Forbidding them from playing sports they may want to just based on your beliefs about separation of the sexes.

Having a daughter myself, I would assume he doesn't want his daughters to be injured.
My daughter is small for her age.
Were she bigger and stronger than most girls, I may reconsider restricting coed sports.
Lucie's babies don't appear to be hulking, so I'm going to say he's in the same boat.

(04-28-2016, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me take a step back on this comment.

With some players screaming does work to motivate them.  In those cases it is fine for the coach to yell.  But it never worked with me.

So it is not always bad to yell at some players.  It is just stupid to not be able to tell which players respond to yelling and which do not.

Highly commendable for you to amend .

Rep
(04-28-2016, 01:36 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You don't want them playing coed sports with boys, or sports that you feel are "boy" sports? I get not wanting them to play coed sports, but that really shouldn't be an issue beyond age 7. 

No Fred is bringing up where I said in PnR that I wouldn't have my daughters playing football or wrestle.    

There is a large physical disparity between girls and boys.   
(04-27-2016, 10:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Forbidding them from playing sports they may want to just based on your beliefs about separation of the sexes.

It is a safety issue.   It's also making it 10x harder to learn proper technique when you are constantly behind physically.   Boys and girls are just built differently.   

I also wouldn't allow my son (if I had one) to play in a girls league for the simple fact he would learn nothing by having a distinct physical advantage over everyone else.   

Once again you don't learn proper technique when it's easy or extremely challenging.  To me the most important thing is to learn how to play with proper technique so they can have a lifelong enjoyment of sports. 
(04-28-2016, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me take a step back on this comment.

How much you can yell at players depends on the relationships you have built.   On the field of yelling is needed you yell.   But if you are forced to yell at someone over and over then they just aren't getting it and you need to find a replacement.    In college it was easier for us than in high school. 
(04-28-2016, 02:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No Fred is bringing up where I said in PnR that I wouldn't have my daughters playing football or wrestle.    

Oh well, yeah I wouldn't want that either. If they came to me and wanted to do it, not sure how I'd handle it. I guess the younger the less difference it makes. But if we're talking middle school and beyond I would strongly discourage it. Unless it were a kicker. Our HS has a girl kicker that they throw her a bone every now and again and let her kick some PATs (which she usually shanks) but thats all. No punts, no kick offs. 
(04-28-2016, 02:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No Fred is bringing up where I said in PnR that I wouldn't have my daughters playing football or wrestle.    

Yet there are thousands of girls all across the country who love playing football and/or wrestling.  I don't believe in putting limits on my girls.  Even if I think they might fail I let them try.

What about baseball?  Do you have any problems with your girls playing on Little League teams with boys?
(04-28-2016, 02:06 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Having a daughter myself, I would assume he doesn't want his daughters to be injured.
My daughter is small for her age.
Were she bigger and stronger than most girls, I may reconsider restricting coed sports.
Lucie's babies don't appear to be hulking, so I'm going to say he's in the same boat.

Yeah, this is where I am.  In fact, I have one right now that is into motorsports....and is quite good behind the wheel of a go kart.  If she continues the pursuit, you can bet ol' dad will be turning wrenches on weekends.  I'm all for them playing baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. with the boys, hell there were girls in my neighborhood who played those sports with us.  Football, on the other hand.....not unless one of them grows into an amazon.  Having played myself, I know the rigors.....I don't want one of my babies hurt.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2016, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet there are thousands of girls all across the country who love playing football and/or wrestling.  I don't believe in putting limits on my girls.  Even if I think they might fail I let them try.

What about baseball?  Do you have any problems with your girls playing on Little League teams with boys?

IF they ever want to play football there is a girls flag football in Florida so they can compete there...   

Baseball is a boys sport.  THey can however play softball...   Would you push to have your son play softball if he wanted to play?   Would that make you proud to see your son turn high school softball into  a beer league homer fest?   
(04-29-2016, 04:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Baseball is a boys sport. 

Thyank goodness Mo'ne Davis' parents were not as backward thinking and oppressive as you are.
(05-01-2016, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thyank goodness Mo'ne Davis' parents were not as backward thinking and oppressive as you are.

you never answered whether you would let your son play on the softball team?   You think he should be able to play since there is no boys softball team.