Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents accidentally give kids dog treats.
Yep, this really happened. Seems that the dog treats Scooby Snacks, were somehow located in the same section as regular snacks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40305826

Quote:The Wanganui Chronicle reports that the "Scooby Snack" brand treats - complete with pictures of Scooby Doo - were accidentally placed near the crisps and snacks aisle in a local Pak'nSave supermarket. It appears that customers may have mistaken them for similarly-packaged bone-shaped biscuits featuring the mystery-solving canine.
According to the paper, the product packaging states they are a "pet food product only, human-friendly but not recommended", a fact not noticed by many parents until it was too late. Now notices have gone up in local schools advising adults to check lunchboxes.
However, the Foodstuffs company, which owns the Pak'nSave chain, insists that the dog treats were not placed near the snacks meant for children, and were clearly labelled as being for pets.
Packaging confusion
Spokeswoman Antoinette Laird told the Newshub website that "Unfortunately it appears some customers mistook them for human food," and the store has now withdrawn them from sale. "On reflection, we can see how the cartoon characters on the packaging might be confusing!" she said.
Parents on social media were aghast, with one saying "I wondered why my boy didn't like the taste of them". Another posted "A child at work had these today. By the time I saw it she had eaten all of them."
One parent described the entire episode: "I was absolutely mortified when I gave them to my daughter. She took one bite and said, 'this is rubbish'... I looked at the packet closely and gasped, 'Oh no, I am so sorry. I just fed you dog food'."
According to Newshub, the Scooby Snacks "are advertised as supporting bone strengthening and skin- and coat-health". These are not likely to be an issue for young children, it says.
Reporting by Alistair Coleman
Next story: Nepal steps up to measure Everest
Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.
Related Topics
New Zealand
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What practical, responsible, 21st century parent doesn't want their child to have strong bones and a healthy coat? Next they'll be saying they don't want them to have a cold nose. Smh Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
You thought they were human snacks because they were near the other human snacks. OK I get that but how do you open the box and not get smacked in the face by cheap dog treat smell?

It's not like it smells appealing and everybody knows what they smell like.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 10:59 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: What practical, responsible, 21st century parent doesn't want their child to have strong bones and a healthy coat?  Next they'll be saying they don't want them to have a cold nose.  Smh  Sad

(06-24-2017, 11:12 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: You thought they were human snacks because they were near the other human snacks. OK I get that but how do you open the box and not get smacked in the face by cheap dog treat smell?

It's not like it smells appealing and everybody knows what they smell like.

Well guys, looks like we're the only ones to see the humor in parents being so careless, as to inadvertently give their kids dog treats. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
People freak out too easy. Pet food industry goes by same guideline as human food do to the risk of todlers crawling across, or walking across the floor and eating the stuff out of the pets bowl.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well guys, looks like we're the only ones to see the humor in parents being so careless, as to inadvertently give their kids dog treats. 

When we were kids we jumped up in the back seat when the car took a hill so we could get air.  We played with lawn jarts  that were little more than glorified spears.  Bike helmets?  Pffft, give me a break.  Kids today are soft, and their parents enable them every time they freak out over something as innocuous as this. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 09:38 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: When we were kids we jumped up in the back seat when the car took a hill so we could get air.  We played with lawn jarts  that were little more than glorified spears.  Bike helmets?  Pffft, give me a break.  Kids today are soft, and their parents enable them every time they freak out over something as innocuous as this. 

Lets not forget drinking out of the garden hose, learning to drive without seat belts, 5 friends eating off the same plate, jumping off roofs into snow drifts, cruising through the country with 5-6 friends in the back of a pickup truck, jumping ramps oh my? What else can we remember? Our youth today are total, over protected wimps. Wussies!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 11:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lets not forget drinking out of the garden hose, learning to drive without seat belts, 5 friends eating off the same plate, jumping off roofs into snow drifts, cruising through the country with 5-6 friends in the back of a pickup truck, jumping ramps oh my? What else can we remember? Our youth today are total, over protected wimps. Wussies!

Hood surfing.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Haha we used to feed my neighbors little brother dog treats. The kid is an engineer now, so maybe the dog treats helped.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 10:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Haha we used to feed my neighbors little brother dog treats.   The kid is an engineer now, so maybe the dog treats helped.

Eating dog treats at a young age. What's the worst that could happen?

[Image: I4W5KDA.gif]

Reply/Quote
I tried to feed my wife and one of her friends some dog treats at a Christmas party a few years back. They were from some fancy dog treat bakery here in town. The treats looked just like Reese's cups. I put them on the cookie tray with the regular candy and cookies and waited.

My wife got wise to it quick and for some reason didn't eat any. She's never been big on sweets. Her friend, however, went to town on those things. She ate two of them, making faces the whole time she chewed and wondering why they tasted so terrible. By the third one I lost it and fell out of my chair laughing.

Miraculaously, we're still friends with these people.
Reply/Quote
Robert Culp's character on Greatest American Hero ate dog treats, and he was a super cool FBI guy or something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was a kid I loved the taste of dry dog food.. I can still hear my mom yelling at me to get out of the dog dish.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 11:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lets not forget drinking out of the garden hose, learning to drive without seat belts, 5 friends eating off the same plate, jumping off roofs into snow drifts, cruising through the country with 5-6 friends in the back of a pickup truck, jumping ramps oh my? What else can we remember? Our youth today are total, over protected wimps. Wussies!

You know..when I was a kid and two kids got in a fight half the neighborhood would gather around and watch us just punch each others lights out for an hour or so. 
I remember fighting with the kid from across the street for an hour in the back yard till my dad broke it up for dinner time. The little twirp stayed in our yard calling me names and I couldn't go anywhere UNTIL he called my grandma some name at which point I bolted for the door, ran outside and kicked the crap out of him to a full audience. Dad didn't say a word.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 12:14 AM)samhain Wrote: I tried to feed my wife and one of her friends some dog treats at a Christmas party a few years back.  They were from some fancy dog treat bakery here in town.  The treats looked just like Reese's cups.  I put them on the cookie tray with the regular candy and cookies and waited.

My wife got wise to it quick and for some reason didn't eat any.  She's never been big on sweets.  Her friend, however, went to town on those things.  She ate two of them, making faces the whole time she chewed and wondering why they tasted so terrible.  By the third one I lost it and fell out of my chair laughing.  

Miraculaously, we're still friends with these people.

The fact that your wife picked up on it, yet kept quiet and let you play your prank, speaks volumes about the great sense of humor that both of you share.  That's a good prank!

On another note, you say your guest was making faces, wondering why they tasted so bad, yet kept shoveling them in? No wonder you decided to prank her..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reminds me of the time my neighbor had some S'nausages dog treats on his bar in the garage.  If you've never seen these things, they look like those little short pieces of jerky stick you see in plastic canisters from time to time.  Well, the dog treats come in the same container.  Needless to say, late night west coast NCAA football and lots of bourbon can cause a man to reach for the nearest snack, and reach for it often.  My other neighbor was blitzed, and he must have eaten three or four handfuls of them.  Of course we didn't bother to mention to him that they were S'nausages....we just kept inquiring...."those are s'nawesome aren't they?"  LMAO

He never picked up on it....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I was told dog biscuits are good for teething babys...

Pet food is taste tested by humans its safe for consumption

Ill tell you ive been tempted to try some of the treats ive bought for my dog... They make some delicious looking dog cookies/donuts and they cost more than the ones we eat so they must be good.
Reply/Quote
I just ate dog food two weeks ago. it was dry food, I won't try the wet stuff.  there was nothing wrong with it that I could tell. 

I've had treats too.  the best treats are the ones with some peanut butter in them. 

its no big deal to eat dog food. 

but cat food.....now that's a different story.  that stuff is rancid!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 12:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just ate dog food two weeks ago. it was dry food, I won't try the wet stuff.  there was nothing wrong with it that I could tell. 

I've had treats too.  the best treats are the ones with some peanut butter in them. 

its no big deal to eat dog food. 

but cat food.....now that's a different story.  that stuff is rancid!

Everyone needs a line they won't cross.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 01:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Everyone needs a line they won't cross.

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote