Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasta and sausage
Tried something new tonight from some stuff I had in the fridge.

Cooked some Italian sausage, set it aside. Chopped up some bacon and asparagus and cooked them together. Cooked up some bow tie pasta. Tossed it all together with olive oil, salt, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese and cherry tomatoes. Was pretty good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That sounds great.

I have never tried cooking asparagus with sausage. I love asparagus, but it is often over cooked in restaurants.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That sounds great.

I have never tried cooking asparagus with sausage.  I love asparagus, but it is often over cooked in restaurants.

usually I cook it on medium in a shallow pan with butter and water, or I'll toss it in with some bacon right before the bacon is done and fry it a bit. Most places overcook asparagus so I don't usually order it, but I love cooking it at home. If you cook it in the bacon grease, it only takes 4-5 minutes on medium heat, but you have to keep it moving otherwise it tends to burn.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 03:17 PM)Benton Wrote: usually I cook it on medium in a shallow pan with butter and water, or I'll toss it in with some bacon right before the bacon is done and fry it a bit. Most places overcook asparagus so I don't usually order it, but I love cooking it at home. If you cook it in the bacon grease, it only takes 4-5 minutes on medium heat, but you have to keep it moving otherwise it tends to burn.

+ Lemon on the asparagus.  

You're little concoction sounds great.  I do something similar sans asparagus, but with some chopped cherry tomatoes at the end.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 03:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: + Lemon on the asparagus.  

You're little concoction sounds great.  I do something similar sans asparagus, but with some chopped cherry tomatoes at the end.  
ill have to try the lemon. On while it's cooking, or after like olive oil?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 03:29 PM)Benton Wrote: ill have to try the lemon. On while it's cooking, or after like olive oil?

I squeeze it right into the oil / butter I cook asparagus in.  As long as you're not over cooking the asparagus which it doesn't sound like you are.  Hate that as well.
Reply/Quote
try Italian sausage with rapini....then cook down some onion and put it on a sangwheech....that's Italian right there.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 05:00 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: try Italian sausage with rapini....then cook down some onion and put it on a sangwheech....that's Italian right there.

I had to google rapini.  I will have to try it.  Also gonna try the bacon w/ the asparagus.  I used to hate the stuff but that's when I was a kid and only had it out of a can.   Sick
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2015, 07:49 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I had to google rapini.  I will have to try it.  Also gonna try the bacon w/ the asparagus.  I used to hate the stuff but that's when I was a kid and only had it out of a can.   Sick

its a bitter green...i suggest blanching it first for several mins...then cook it in a pan with garlic, chili flake, EVOO and salt.  Cook it right down until you can basically chew it.

If you like bitter greens you'll love it.

another specialty of my nonna is dandelions....not the flower...just the green leaves...cook same way as above....bitter green as well.  can also cook it in a pot with beans and chunks of potato.

both are very much Italian peasant food. 
Reply/Quote