Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pat Sims close to signing?
Saw on bengals.com that it's getting close. Will be nice to get big pat back in the fold. Solid producer.
Reply/Quote
hes on the injury report half the year
Reply/Quote
Don't mind it so long as it's just a close-to-minimum depth signing that won't affect the Bengals taking advantage of a crazy deep DT draft. If it's cheap enough that if a drafted DT or two and Hardison impress in preseason they can cut Sims with little/no penalty, then it's a good signing.

EDIT: Welcome back Lucie? Saw your name was pink the other day.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw on bengals.com that it's getting close.    Will be nice to get big pat back in the fold.    Solid producer.

Meh. Yawn

At least we wont have to find someone to replace the whopping 16.5% of defensive snaps he played last season. Or his 4 solo, 12 assisted tackles.  Whew!

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:26 AM)Burma Wrote: Meh. Yawn

At least we wont have to find someone to replace the whopping 16.5% of defensive snaps he played last season. Or his 4 solo, 12 assisted tackles.  Whew!

Actually it's a great depth signing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:26 AM)Burma Wrote: Meh. Yawn

You have to almost consider Sims and Thompson one person. If we don't bring back Thompson then he plays more
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:44 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Actually it's a great depth signing.

I would put it as just a depth signing.  He didn't show any particular greatness and was only active in 8 games. Regardless, I am neither excited, nor angry at the signing. Its a sensible, yet drab move.  Now Terrance Knighton ... that would be great depth. Smirk

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I don't mind this signing as long as it's reasonable price wise. And I'm sure it will be. We could do worse for a run stopper guy off of the bench.
Reply/Quote
I'll hold off my thoughts until I see what Fairley or Potroast signs for. I understand re-signing starters you are familiar with, but at the bottom of the depth chart (where Simms is), they can bring in people they aren't familiar with and hope for a steal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw on bengals.com that it's getting close.    Will be nice to get big pat back in the fold.    Solid producer.

Why?
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
Pat Sims>Peko
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 04:25 PM)magikod Wrote: Pat Sims>Peko

Ehhhh...

Not so sure about that. Pat Sims might be a little better against the run, but at least Peko isn't hurt the whole time and has the endurance to take a lot of snaps. Obviously neither are ideal right now though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:07 AM)Burma Wrote: I would put it as just a depth signing.  He didn't show any particular greatness and was only active in 8 games. Regardless, I am neither excited, nor angry at the signing. Its a sensible, yet drab move.  Now Terrance Knighton ... that would be great depth. Smirk

I know he isn't sexy (in person or the stat sheet) but guys like Sims wreck the pocket for other guys to make plays. I don't know if people watch for that ind of stuff, but I'm sure the Bengals coaches value that very much and have some sort f metric to grade his effectiveness.

He's not a big time signing, but he can be Phat Sims a few times a game and make something happen for the LBs coming up on a blitz.
Reply/Quote
Pat Sims (for his cost) >>>>>>>>>>>> Peko (for his cost). That's what matters.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:18 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Pat Sims (for his cost) >>>>>>>>>>>> Peko (for his cost).  That's what matters.

This is not true.  Peko played 50% of the snaps fro one of the bets defenses in the league.  Sims was not even on the active rpster for half of the games.

And that is not what matters unless you think it makes no difference if we fill our roster with the lowest paid DTs in the league.
Reply/Quote
Look at what we could afford elsewhere if Peko was cut. Almost 4M that could be used elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:28 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Look at what we could afford elsewhere if Peko was cut.  Almost 4M that could be used elsewhere.

We could not replace him at that price.
Reply/Quote
Sure you could.

Sign Sims. Draft a DT and plug him in next to Geno. The Bengals rotate 8 D-lineman anyway, especially at that spot.

It's not a direct replacement with the 4M, but it allows you more flexibility to fill some spots that look like we're going to have to go heavy on in the draft.

You have to look at each player and what they are paid vs how much they bring to the table individually. Peko would be on the negative curve on this IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:46 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Sure you could.

Sign Sims.  Draft a DT and plug him in next to Geno.  The Bengals rotate 8 D-lineman anyway, especially at that spot.

It's not a direct replacement with the 4M, but it allows you more flexibility to fill some spots that look like we're going to have to go heavy on in the draft.

If all you have to do to replace Peko is "draft a DT" then why didn't we just start Thompson or Still?

If we cut Peko all that does is create another hole.  it doesn't fix anything.  We would have to use either free agent money or a draft pick to fill a hole that was not there before.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:46 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Sure you could.

Sign Sims.  Draft a DT and plug him in next to Geno.  The Bengals rotate 8 D-lineman anyway, especially at that spot.

You have to look at each player and what they are paid vs how much they bring to the table individually.  Peko would be on the negative curve on this IMO.

I don't think so.  He brings a lot of energy and motivation.  Him and whit are the respective leaders of each side of the ball.  Far more valuae than their pay inidicates.  And it isn't like peko is making 9m like hall.  4million for a solid DT isn't that bad

Look at the contract the panthers gave Paul saulio(spelling) 32 year old DT. 2 years 7million

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14974154/carolina-panthers-sign-dt-paul-soliai-two-year-deal
Reply/Quote