Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Brown stadium deal ending in 2026- will the Bengals stay
(08-21-2020, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think anyone is saying it is okay to damage property just because it is covered by insurance.  I am just pointing out that Portland will recover from this just like Miami recovered from Hurricane Andrew.

Maybe you are the one who does not understand how insurance works.

I didn't say YOU said it, but a lot of people are. And I understand perfectly how insurance works. To use your example, if there are a couple of bad hurricane seasons, or one big one, hurricane insurance goes up. When people were locked down because of Covid and couldn't drive anywhere, premiums for auto went down and people got rebates. My auto insurance is cheaper or more expensive depending on zip code and whether or not the vehicle is garaged. Insurance is a for profit business. When they have to make more payouts, premiums rise to offset that money. It's not rocket science Fred. If you don't think premiums for businesses in those areas are going to go up, you're living in a dream world. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals won't leave for a couple reasons. The first comes down to the Brown family. As much as people hate their "mom and pop" approach, that is the same thing that makes them loyal and in reality I think Paul Browns legacy is a reason they won't leave. The other reason? Money. To move a team takes a massive relocation fee, for example the LA teams each had to pay about 650 Million, while the Raiders about 380 Million. That fee comes down the road, but I have a hard time seeing the Brown family wanting to be in debted to the league at those kinds of levels.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have had damage done to my home and rental property before by both individuals and natural causes.  I had the damages repaired and and went on with my life.  

I have had my car destroyed by another person hitting it, but I actually bought another one and kept on driving instead of walking for the rest of my life.

I never said the damage does not matter.  I am just saying that people will not abandon the city because of it.  Look at the coastal cities that get destroyed by hurricanes.  They don't become ghost towns.  People rebuild and go back to the same life as before.

Did your rates go up after you made claims against your policy?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I could have guessed that.

It ain't whatever tobacco field you live in, but they seem to like it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:01 AM)J24 Wrote: PBS doesn't need an extensive rebuild though like the Bills stadium.  

PBS needs to be knocked down or completely gutted. Its the worst stadium in the entire NFL. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did your rates go up after you made claims against your policy?

No.  But I have not had a lot of claims.

But even if they did I would not have given up driving or owning a home.  The people in Miami probably see their rates go up after a major hurricane but they all keep rebuilding instead of leaving.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote:  To use your example, if there are a couple of bad hurricane seasons, or one big one, hurricane insurance goes up. 

Yet they stay and rebuild instead of moving away.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  But I have not had a lot of claims.

But even if they did I would not have given up driving or owning a home.  The people in Miami probably see their rates go up after a major hurricane but they all keep rebuilding instead of leaving.

Actually rates in place like Miami are higher because of the risk. Are you suggesting people in Portland should just pay higher rates and go on with their businesses because folks are burning them down?

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet they stay and rebuild instead of moving away.

If they wish to continue to make claims and pay higher rates.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 02:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually rates in place like Miami are higher because of the risk. Are you suggesting people in Portland should just pay higher rates and go on with their businesses because folks are burning them down?

This.

Miami has been hit with 30 different hurricanes of varying degrees through the years. It's already built into their policies, much like living in a flood zone. Businessss have already budgeted accordingly.

Portland? Not so much.

Not to mention the fact that there is no end in sight.  There's no clear time to start the rebuild.

And let's say everything cools down. What happens if Trump gets re-elected?  What happens if there's another event that spurs national outrage?  It may very well subside, only to quiclkly return. And it could get even worse.

And anybody who has dealt with insurance companies knows how all this goes. Not all these businesses are going to be compensated 100%. And the process won't be as simple as an auto claim.

Some won't have the right policy, or it will it cover so much. Some can't make multiple claims in a year. Some will be denied because some loophole because that's what insurance companies do. It will not be an easy process, nor as cut and dry as the idea of insurance leads many to believe.

These people, one way or another, are going to be hit hard financially.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have had damage done to my home and rental property before by both individuals and natural causes.  I had the damages repaired and and went on with my life.  

I have had my car destroyed by another person hitting it, but I actually bought another one and kept on driving instead of walking for the rest of my life.

I never said the damage does not matter.  I am just saying that people will not abandon the city because of it.  Look at the coastal cities that get destroyed by hurricanes.  They don't become ghost towns.  People rebuild and go back to the same life as before.

While you are 99.9% correct, Galveston would like to have a word with you.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet they stay and rebuild instead of moving away.

Because a whole lot of coastal homes are owned by people with lots of money. Also, a lot of home damaged by huuricanes are paid for over and over again with funds from the National Flood Insurance Plan. I don't believe there is a National Riot Insurance Plan.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 02:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While you are 99.9% correct, Galveston would like to have a word with you.

Wasn't he a Decepticon?  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, what a politician says they're going to do and what they actually do are often two different things.  

If Mike wanted to move, he wouldn't be covering the bills for stadium upgrades that the county agreed to pay in the PBS lease.  Katie has also said that they think PBS can be viable past the end of the lease, which isn't something you would say if you were looking to move.  That said, money talks and bullshit takes the bus.  If a city basically agrees to build them a stadium, they would have to entertain it, especially if business remains down.  I mean, if Burrow is as advertised and they still can't sell out PBS, they pretty much have to move if they get a better offer.  However, I think most teams are not banking on public money in their stadium plans.

This, very unlikely they move.
Reply/Quote
Fred got banned (again)????

I'm always late to the game, and miss the comment that warrants the hammer.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 06:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fred got banned (again)????

I'm always late to the game, and miss the comment that warrants the hammer.

Same, was wondering what happened.
Reply/Quote
I didn’t see it either, but I’m guessing it involved that Thom Brennaman thread...

Reply/Quote
If Bengals stay here, they need a stadium with a retractile roof.

That kills 2 birds with one stone, a new stadium that can be used year round for events other than football or sports and no need for a practice bubble.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 07:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If Bengals stay here, they need a stadium with a retractile roof.

That kills 2 birds with one stone, a new stadium that can be used year round for events other tan football or sports and no need for a practice bubble.

There is no way the county (and it's tax payers) is going to agree to funding a new stadium.

Even committing to sizable upgrades is going to be an uphill battle.  The county got fleeced so bad on this existing deal that they're going to want concessions on anything moving forward.  And frankly, they more than deserve them.

The biggest problem facing significantly more money being spent is that: 

1.) The orginal .5 tax levy was supposed to end after 30 years.  The county just extended it for pretty much forever, to cover budget shortfalls.  It's not coming off the books. 

2.) We just passed the world's stupidest transportation levy, where we're committing 1.2 billion to Metro over the next 10 years.

Hamilton County's taxes are at near the top of the state now.  And with the sour taste left in the mouth's of taxpayers after the last stadium deal, and the pressure on the county commissioners, it's really going to be a tough sell.

The Bengals really need to do right by the county and their fans.  They have to be able to work with them to stay, and not hold them hostage over a better deal elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Bengals leave Cincy in 2026.

The San Antonio Bengals win the Superbowl in 2027

Reply/Quote