Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Brown stadium deal ending in 2026- will the Bengals stay
(08-20-2020, 04:51 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I was just in Portland last month for vacation. 

You have the dumbest travel agent on Earth.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have the dumbest travel agent on Earth.

You’re showing your age Fred, nobody uses travel agents anymore. Lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re showing your age Fred, nobody uses travel agents anymore. Lol

Actually some people do.  But I was mainly trying to avoid calling Queencity stupid.

"Hey Honey, where should we go on vacation?"

"How about a city where everything is shut down due to the pandemic and people are rioting in the streets?"

BTW one of my best friends lives in Portland.  It is not a shithole at all.  And it is not being destroyed by the riots.  The businesses had more losses due to the pandemic than the riots, and most of the riot damage will be covered by insurance.  Even the insurance company Mantooth was talking about is committed to returning to their downtown office when this is all over.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually some people do. 

Yeah, they're called old people. Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:45 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The city has been trending down for quite some time. 

No it has not.  It has been growing steadily for years.

From 2019

Portland’s growth remains strong by historical standards. It’s gained an average of 30,000 people per year over the past two decades, a level exceeded only by the even more rapid growth of the 1990s.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.) It is not a shithole at all. 

2.) And it is not being destroyed by the riots. 

3.) The businesses had more losses due to the pandemic than the riots,

4.) and most of the riot damage will be covered by insurance. 

5.) Even the insurance company Mantooth was talking about is committed to returning to their downtown office when this is all over.

1.) It will be now. At least the downtown area. It's going to take a long time to recover.

2.) It's literally being destroyed. Destruction of property to the tune of millions of dollars. Buildings are being burned. Windows broken. Stores looted. If this isn't the textbook definition of destruction then what is?

3.) This is like saying it's ok to punch a cancer patient in the face because most of the damage is done already.  It's hard enough for bars and restaurants to survive this, how hard do you think it is for those poor places that occupy businesses downtown? 

4.) Deductables will have to be paid. Insurance rates will skyrocket for those businesses.  What do you think the deductable is on a 1 million dollar claim for a jewelry store?  You think he's going to enjoy the same rates, and that insurances companies aren't for profit businesses?

5.) We'll see.  "We are commited to the city of Portland" sounds like PR to me.  As of right now, there is no end in sight.  Let's see where they end up when this all shakes out.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it has not.  It has been growing steadily for years.

From 2019

Portland’s growth remains strong by historical standards. It’s gained an average of 30,000 people per year over the past two decades, a level exceeded only by the even more rapid growth of the 1990s.

Population growth doesn't automatically equate to an increase in quality of life, nor is it always an ecomonic benefit to existing residents.

Just ask most of southern California.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  most of the riot damage will be covered by insurance. 

I'm actually quoting this twice. I'm sorry, but this is the most ignorant statement, that I've seen made far too often.

Can I come to your house and break your windows, maybe light your garage on fire, and flood your basement?  Do you care if I hotwire your car and go crash into a telephone poll?

No big deal, right?  Insurance will cover it.

It's all good.  Don't sweat that deductable. Don't worry about rate increases.  Insurance is just going to cover all of these costs, where no one has to worry at all.  It's free money.  No one is really finanically harmed other than these enormous insurances companies. Rolleyes

Give me a freaking break, dude.  I know you're smarter than this.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually some people do.  But I was mainly trying to avoid calling Queencity stupid.

"Hey Honey, where should we go on vacation?"

"How about a city where everything is shut down due to the pandemic and people are rioting in the streets?"

BTW one of my best friends lives in Portland.  It is not a shithole at all.  And it is not being destroyed by the riots.  The businesses had more losses due to the pandemic than the riots, and most of the riot damage will be covered by insurance.  Even the insurance company Mantooth was talking about is committed to returning to their downtown office when this is all over.

I can second this... I have multiple friends in Portland. The riots have had zero impact on their lives.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, way more Browns fans in Columbus. I’ve noticed that even at hockey games up there. Never really saw much Bengals gear.

Perhaps because the Bengals aren't a hockey team
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have the dumbest travel agent on Earth.

I only stayed the night driving down from Seattle. 

I spent 95% of the trip exploring Oregon far away from Portland.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 08:04 PM)jason Wrote: I can second this... I have multiple friends in Portland. The riots have had zero impact on their lives.

I could have guessed that.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 05:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You constantly hear this about San Francisco and when we went there for the first time last year I found a lot of that stuff to be overblown. There’s definitely not shit all over the streets and sidewalks, and the homeless all congregate in certain areas (mostly in the Tenderloin neighborhood) It’s not like they’re all over the place. At least in my experience.

SF and Vancouver are probably the two most beautiful cities I’ve ever been to. Vancouver also has a homeless issue, but again, it’s all pretty much one area (East Hastings). We ventured into that area looking for a brewery and it was pretty sketchy.

I think it’s probably true just about anywhere you have to know where to go and where to avoid.
I was in SF 2 years ago and was amazed on how it was much dirtier and expense and over taxed than when I was there in 2013.. and last i checked housing and rent are way down with people existing 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:44 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I only stayed the night driving down from Seattle. 

I spent 95% of the trip exploring Oregon far away from Portland.

Brilliant idea.  When I visted my friend out there I camped at Crater Lake and the Sand Dunes near Coos Bay.

One of my all time favorite novels is Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey.  The natural beauty of Oregon is a major theme in that book. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brilliant idea.  When I visted my friend out there I camped at Crater Lake and the Sand Dunes near Coos Bay.

One of my all time favorite novels is Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey.  The natural beauty of Oregon is a major theme in that book. 

Yup I was also in both areas. Drove down to Crater Lake from Portland. 

Then went West to Coos Bay and drove the coastline all the way back up.  Stopped at multiple spots

Big state lots of driving!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 03:29 AM)J24 Wrote: Interesting! I always thought Portland was a cool City so it would be cool to see them have an NFL team! The Timbers have one of the Coolest atmosphere in sports; so I am all for them NFL team.
With that being said I am not sure Portland would want to build a new stadium with Tax payer money? So would an Owner really want to spend a billion dollars on a stadium just to be in Portland?

It's doubtful they could get a publicly funded stadium in Portland. The proposed MLB stadium is mainly going to be privately funded by the ownership group. Also, space is limited in Portland. The baseball stadium is looking to be built on a port terminal. After that, you're going to have to head to a suburb to get a stadium to fit here.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:32 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's doubtful they could get a publicly funded stadium in Portland. The proposed MLB stadium is mainly going to be privately funded by the ownership group. Also, space is limited in Portland. The baseball stadium is looking to be built on a port terminal. After that, you're going to have to head to a suburb to get a stadium to fit here.

Could they add on to the Soccer Stadium?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm actually quoting this twice. I'm sorry, but this is the most ignorant statement, that I've seen made far too often.

Can I come to your house and break your windows, maybe light your garage on fire, and flood your basement?  Do you care if I hotwire your car and go crash into a telephone poll?

It's all good.  Don't sweat that deductable. Don't worry about rate increases.  Insurance is just going to cover all of these costs, where no one has to worry at all.  It's free money.  No one is really finanically harmed other than these enormous insurances companies. Rolleyes

That statement drives me nuts as well. We here that phrase a lot here with the BS going on in Louisville. Just about every interview with the "protestors" they make the pioint they should be able to damage other people's property because "it's covered by insurance." These people are totally ignorant of how insurance works, and that all of our premiums we pay for policies are based off of other people's losses. Sometimes I wonder how people remember to breath.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 06:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm actually quoting this twice. I'm sorry, but this is the most ignorant statement, that I've seen made far too often.

I have had damage done to my home and rental property before by both individuals and natural causes.  I had the damages repaired and and went on with my life.  

I have had my car destroyed by another person hitting it, but I actually bought another one and kept on driving instead of walking for the rest of my life.

I never said the damage does not matter.  I am just saying that people will not abandon the city because of it.  Look at the coastal cities that get destroyed by hurricanes.  They don't become ghost towns.  People rebuild and go back to the same life as before.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  Just about every interview with the "protestors" they make the pioint they should be able to damage other people's property because "it's covered by insurance." 

I don't think anyone is saying it is okay to damage property just because it is covered by insurance.  I am just pointing out that Portland will recover from this just like Miami recovered from Hurricane Andrew.

Maybe you are the one who does not understand how insurance works.
Reply/Quote