Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Brown stadium deal ending in 2026- will the Bengals stay
(08-20-2020, 01:16 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Portland could open up because the stranglehold on the Northwest opened up when Paul Allen passed away. Not only did he own the Seahawks, but he also owned the Portland Trailblazers. Teams had a hard time moving to Portland because the Blazers pretty much occupied the prime areas to build stadiums. Portland is also the largest sports market that only has one (of the big four) professional teams.

As for the topic, never say never, but I don't see the Bengals leaving Cincinnati.
Interesting! I always thought Portland was a cool City so it would be cool to see them have an NFL team! The Timbers have one of the Coolest atmosphere in sports; so I am all for them NFL team.
With that being said I am not sure Portland would want to build a new stadium with Tax payer money? So would an Owner really want to spend a billion dollars on a stadium just to be in Portland?
(08-20-2020, 01:47 AM)jason Wrote: Haha... I'm sure the Utah Jazz played their fair share of Sunday games in front of packed houses back in the day. An NFL team would do well in Utah. They'd have to change their name though. Somehow Utah Bengals makes even less sense than Utah Jazz.
Nah Jazz Still sounds weirder lol!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I agree with the poster that said Portland is most likely not on any business owners expansion list right now.
St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland etc have all had teams, and those teams have left. There's a reason for that.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 01:47 AM)jason Wrote: Haha... I'm sure the Utah Jazz played their fair share of Sunday games in front of packed houses back in the day. An NFL team would do well in Utah. They'd have to change their name though. Somehow Utah Bengals makes even less sense than Utah Jazz.

(08-20-2020, 03:29 AM)J24 Wrote: Nah Jazz Still sounds weirder lol!

Quote:The Utah Jazz are the former team of John Stockton, Karl "The Mailman" Malone, and longtime head coach Jerry Sloan. In the more distant past, "Pistol" Pete Maravich (Disney made a movie about his childhood hoop exploits) played for them. The Jazz made the playoffs in 19 consecutive seasons, from 83-84 to 02-03, and was led for many of those years by the tandem of Stockton and Malone. However, despite their dominance, they have no championships to show for it. The team have only made the finals twice, both of which they lost to Michael Jordan's Bulls. If you're wondering what Mormon Utah has to do with jazz, this is yet another team with an Artifact Title. The franchise was originally from New Orleans and moved to Salt Lake City in 1979. The team's then-owner didn't change the name because he thought the move would be temporary. But after all these years, nobody even questions it anymore. note When Tom Benson acquired the then-New Orleans Hornets in 2012, Benson attempted to reclaim the Jazz name for New Orleans; however, the Jazz owners weren't interested in giving up the name.

Just FYI :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 01:34 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Plenty of money and plenty of fans in Portland. There’s currently a group formed to try and bring a MLB team to Portland, not to mention there’s already an NBA and MLS team there.

Cincy = 303,000 pop. (2019) 64th largest city
Portland = 654,000 pop. (2019) 26th largest city

I think using a city's "metropolitan" size would be a better gauge of market potential.

Cincy's metropolitan population = 2.2M (30th)
Portland's metropolitan population = 2.5M (25th)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas
Reply/Quote
Are we operating under the assumption that a new deal would involve a brand new stadium, or are we thinking just renovations to PBS?

I'm not opposed to PBS renovations that are more specific to the fan experience, but if they're wanting Hamilton County to pony up for a new stadium? 1. It better have a roof, and 2. The Bengals better allow the city to rent it out for concerts/etc to drive revenue.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:06 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Are we operating under the assumption that a new deal would involve a brand new stadium, or are we thinking just renovations to PBS?

I'm not opposed to PBS renovations that are more specific to the fan experience, but if they're wanting Hamilton County to pony up for a new stadium?  1. It better have a roof, and 2. The Bengals better allow the city to rent it out for concerts/etc to drive revenue.

AFCN plays football outdoors. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: AFCN plays football outdoors. Rock On

Retractable roof, then.

The city's gone through painstaking efforts to revitalize the riverfront area.  If/when we get a new stadium here, it would be nice if it could work as a revenue generator for the city - especially if we're ponying up for a good chunk of financing.  

An enclosed stadium allows you to bring in concerts and shows year-round.  Nobody's gonna want to come here and play outside in 10 degree weather - so a third of the calendar year is shot.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, retractable would be cool. I’ve never been to Indy’s, but it sure looks nice.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 03:29 AM)J24 Wrote: Interesting! I always thought Portland was a cool City so it would be cool to see them have an NFL team! The Timbers have one of the Coolest atmosphere in sports; so I am all for them NFL team.
With that being said I am not sure Portland would want to build a new stadium with Tax payer money? So would an Owner really want to spend a billion dollars on a stadium just to be in Portland?
Nah Jazz Still sounds weirder lol!

I've been to Portland. It's one of my favorite cities in the US. If I was an owner, I absolutely would lol.
Although I'd do the same for San Antonio/Austin.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think they will, but if they move, I hope it’s to Portland, OR. Then I could actually go to games. Ninja

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to that hell hole esp with everything going on.......do the left wingers even like sports?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I've been to Portland. It's one of my favorite cities in the US. If I was an owner, I absolutely would lol.
Although I'd do the same for San Antonio/Austin.

Unfortunately, Portland is a shithole now.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:06 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Are we operating under the assumption that a new deal would involve a brand new stadium, or are we thinking just renovations to PBS?

A new deal here would most certainly involve a renovation/upgrade agreement.  A new stadium would be completely off the table from a county perspective.

So that's kind of what we're up against.  There's going to be other cities who would be willing to foot the bill for an enitrely new, 1 billion + stadium.  That's going to include not only newer and fancier luxury boxes, and more of them.  Which in turn means more income for the Brown family.  Not to mention the fact that you can almost guarantee that the franchise will go up in value with a move into a bigger market.

We're going to find just how loyal the Brown family is.  Wil they take into account just how much of a sweetheart deal they were given the last time around, and make the appropriate concessions to stay here where they belong, or will they take the money and run?

It should be interesting.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:24 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Unfortunately, Portland is a shithole now.

How so? I was last there in 2015.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Just FYI :)

Yeah... A name change was totally in order with the move from New Orleans.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: How so? I was last there in 2015.

Do you live under a rock?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 09:44 AM)CrowFoot Wrote: I think using a city's "metropolitan" size would be a better gauge of market potential.

Cincy's metropolitan population = 2.2M (30th)
Portland's metropolitan population = 2.5M (25th)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

It would actually be Combined Statistical Area if we want to compare the entire economic region of a city.

Portland = 3.25million (19th)
Cincinnati = 2.28 million (30th)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:30 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do you live under a rock?

You mean the protests? I don't consider protests equating to a sh*thole
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, retractable would be cool. I’ve never been to Indy’s, but it sure looks nice.

Ive been to Indy’s and the Diamondbacks in AZ, both are super nice.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:46 AM)corpjet Wrote: I wouldn't send my worst enemy to that hell hole esp with everything going on.......do the left wingers even like sports?

Way to bring political views into a jungle noise thread. Yours and statements by others in this thread just show me how much you actually don’t know about Portland. I live near it and the protest going on at night aren’t even a topic here in Oregon, but somehow everybody else around the country that doesn’t live here seems to know better about what it’s like to live here. Every big city has crime and violence. It’s the biproduct of too many people living too close together competing for too few resources.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You mean the protests? I don't consider protests equating to a sh*thole

The economic impact of those "protests" will plague that city for years to come.  Businesses, both big and small, are already fleeing the city.  And if cooperations that are headquarted there choose to pick up and move then that's going to be the death nail to the city's economy.

Not to mention, Portland is not unlike many places in CA right now.  Homelessness and rampant drug use are not an uncommon site to see.

The city has been trending down for quite some time.  And the last 90 days are doing irreparable harm.

It's most certainly a shithole from this point moving forward.
Reply/Quote