Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dawson who?
Just finished reading the new Hobson article on Nick Vigil and almost every linebacker that has a chance of making the roster is mentioned except Dawson. Only mentions Rey and Vigil as WLB while Tez is out. Does Dawson make the team this year?
Reply/Quote
Depends on how he plays in preseason. Last year he played well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Pretty positive that Dawson makes the roster. They generally don't cut 3rd round picks after just one year.

That said, certainly says something when everyone was in the exact same hype/fluff mode on Dawson last year as they have been on Vigil this year (same round even), and yet now he's not even in the conversation one year later.

And before the Dawson hype-train, it was the Sean Porter hype-train. It's a big reason why I am expecting absolutely nothing from Vigil despite the Bengals PR arm's best efforts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 12:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And before the Dawson hype-train, it was the Sean Porter hype-train. It's a big reason why I am expecting absolutely nothing from Vigil despite the Bengals PR arm's best efforts.

Yup.  Outside of tez we've wiffed on a lot of LBs lately.  Both in and outside the draft.  Hope the best for him, but not holding my breath. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 12:43 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Yup.  Outside of tez we've wiffed on a lot of LBs lately.  Both in and outside the draft.  Hope the best for him, but not holding my breath. 

I think the knock on Dawson is in the meeting rooms and practice.    Vigil seems like he knows what being a professional is all about ....   Makes sense since his older brother is in the league as well.    

The big thing for vigil is will he be able to handle the physicality of the NFL.   
Reply/Quote
Didn't like the Dawson pick from the start, and yeah, he may be having trouble in the meeting rooms. But I think his biggest problem is that he is one slow-ass linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 02:59 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Didn't like the Dawson pick from the start, and yeah, he may be having trouble in the meeting rooms.  But I think his biggest problem is that he is one slow-ass linebacker.

Jesus... didn't realize he ran 4.93 at 235 lbs. That's downright awful, considering Whitworth ran a 5.15 at 334 lbs.

Side note: Vigil doesn't seem like the answer to speed. He ran a 4.72... AKA 0.01 second slower than 277 lb Carlos Dunlap.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just finished reading the new Hobson article on Nick Vigil and almost every linebacker that has a chance of making the roster is mentioned except Dawson. Only mentions Rey and Vigil as WLB while Tez is out. Does Dawson make the team this year?

I was never sold on Dawson, and as far as everyones concerns about speed burfict ran a horrid 40 also, either you can play in the NFL or you cant, speed isnt always an issue at LB
Reply/Quote
Hobson's deciding the roster now?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 04:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jesus... didn't realize he ran 4.93 at 235 lbs. That's downright awful, considering Whitworth ran a 5.15 at 334 lbs.

Side note: Vigil doesn't seem like the answer to speed. He ran a 4.72... AKA 0.01 second slower than 277 lb Carlos Dunlap.

Vigil might not be fast, but he's quick... there is a difference.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 05:49 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Vigil might not be fast, but he's quick... there is a difference.

Exactly, more important than top speed is being in position to make a quick reaction.  (see Vontaze Burfict, he's not a blazer either)

Besides, if your LB has to pursue a play 40 yds, something terrible likely happened.

Edit: Just checked Vigil's combine numbers. While 4.72 in the 40 isn't track speed, his 3 cone and 20 yd. shuffle ranked really well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's our 3rd RD curse. Each year we should trade our 3rd RD pick for two 4's
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The 40 number the Bengals had on Vigil is 4.6. Not that that matters, but trust me - he can move. And Dawson can move and hit holes. We saw it last year when he played. It was rare, but it was there.

Dawson makes the team unless something totally unforeseen happens, but they're not playing around with him. He has to take a leap in year two. But let's be real: In base, it's Maualuga, Dansby, Tez. In nickel it's Tez and Dansby and/or Rey.

During suspension, base is Rey/Maualuga/Dansby, nickel is Rey/Dansby. They'd like Dawson to be ready to ease some of Rey's workload, especially in nickel where coverage is a concern. This is what we'll look for in camp with him and Vigil.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
We'll see what he can do in training camp and pre-season. I think it's a little early to know. They way he played in college, I think he'll be fine. Hoping so.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
It's not our 3rd round curse, it's our comp pick curse, which is why this model model, we can't sign free agents because of comp picks, is lame. Look back at those picks..... We were better off signing free agents that could actually play.

Not sure what to think about Dawson, but it does seem like he's all but forgotten. Drafting a LB in round 3 again (when most of our success comes from udfa lb's) may be reflective of the failed pick.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 02:59 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Didn't like the Dawson pick from the start, and yeah, he may be having trouble in the meeting rooms.  But I think his biggest problem is that he is one slow-ass linebacker.

The scouting on him has always been that he times slow but plays fast.  He is an instinctive LB'er.  He also had knocks on him that he doesn't practice hard but always shows up at gametime.

He is not getting cut but he is also not seeing the field (on defense) unless there is an injury.  He needs to make his mark on teams.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Just finished reading the new Hobson article on Nick Vigil and almost every linebacker that has a chance of making the roster is mentioned except Dawson. Only mentions Rey and Vigil as WLB while Tez is out. Does Dawson make the team this year?

Dawson will make the team and contribute greatly on ST's this year is my prediction. He was good on ST's
last season and that is what matters most if he wants to win a starting spot down the road. Vigil is just more
pro ready with his smarts, practice instincts and movement skills.

That is why all the talk is about Vigil.

BTW, if Flowers is healthy i think he makes the team as well as our last backer. Great athlete that can cover
and tackle. This guy could really surprise if God forbid injuries pile up.
Reply/Quote
Just read the article. It says something like Dawson is flexing his muscles behind Dansby.

We signed two outside free agents. Just so happens Dawson is stuck behind one of those two.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 11:24 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's not our 3rd round curse, it's our comp pick curse, which is why this model model, we can't sign free agents because of comp picks, is lame. Look back at those picks..... We were better off signing free agents that could actually play.

The extra picks effect the entire draft.  You can't just isolate the comp picks and say they are a waste because we might have taken different players at different slots if we did not have the extra picks.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 01:54 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think the knock on Dawson is in the meeting rooms and practice.  

This.  Even Burfict said that Dawson did not seem to be taking pro football serious enough last year.
Reply/Quote