Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Guenther's Comments at Bengals Draft Party
I attended the Bengals draft party last night where Paul Guenther addressed the fans after the Bengals made their selection. I thought I would post some of his comments here as there was some interesting insight revealed. If anybody else was there feel free to add as I'm going off of my hazy 11:30 p.m. memory.

- He mentioned that outside of Jalen Ramsey, Jackson probably has the highest upside of any defensive backs in their opinion.
- When asked about Myles Jack, he said there was an obvious reason he was free falling. He mentioned that after taking the total package into consideration (health) they were much more comfortable with Jackson,
- They place a very high value on rushers and coverage guys.
- They don't see Jackson as a guy that just has the measurables in terms of speed and size. While he initially got their attention with his performance at the combine, the more tape they watched of him the more they seemed to like. He can excel in both zone and man coverage which they like.
- He mentioned that Pacman's age, Dennard's injury, and Dre being in the final year of his contract all contributed to this pick making sense, but they weren't the motivating factor. They stuck true to their board.
- I know I already posted this in the draft chat but it's worth repeating. A fan asked something to the tune of whether or not picking in front of Pittsburgh had any influence on the pick (I could barely hear the fan but this is what I assume was asked). Guenther responded with "We don't care about Pittsburgh" to a roar of cheers from the fans.

If I can think of anything else that was mentioned I will post additional comments.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 09:41 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I attended the Bengals draft party last night where Paul Guenther addressed the fans after the Bengals made their selection.  I thought I would post some of his comments here as there was some interesting insight revealed.  If anybody else was there feel free to add as I'm going off of my hazy 11:30 p.m. memory.

- He mentioned that outside of Jalen Ramsey, Jackson probably has the highest upside of any defensive backs in their opinion.
- When asked about Myles Jack, he said there was an obvious reason he was free falling.  He mentioned that after taking the total package into consideration (health) they were much more comfortable with Jackson,
- They don't see Jackson as a guy that just has the measurables in terms of speed and size.  While he initially got their attention with his performance at the combine, the more tape they watched of him the more they seemed to like.  He can excel in both zone and man coverage which they like.
- He mentioned that Pacman's age, Dennard's injury, and Dre being in the final year of his contract all contributed to this pick making sense, but they weren't the motivating factor.  They stuck true to their board.  
- I know I already posted this in the draft chat but it's worth repeating.  A fan asked something to the tune of whether or not picking in front of Pittsburgh had any influence on the pick (I could barely hear the fan but this is what I assume was asked).  Guenther responded with "We don't care about Pittsburgh" to a roar of cheers from the fans.

If I can think of anything else that was mentioned I will post additional comments.

Thanks Rob, good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2016, 09:41 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I attended the Bengals draft party last night where Paul Guenther addressed the fans after the Bengals made their selection.  I thought I would post some of his comments here as there was some interesting insight revealed.  If anybody else was there feel free to add as I'm going off of my hazy 11:30 p.m. memory.

- When asked about Myles Jack, he said there was an obvious reason he was free falling.  He mentioned that after taking the total package into consideration (health) they were much more comfortable with Jackson,
- They don't see Jackson as a guy that just has the measurables in terms of speed and size.  While he initially got their attention with his performance at the combine, the more tape they watched of him the more they seemed to like.  He can excel in both zone and man coverage which they like.
- He mentioned that Pacman's age, Dennard's injury, and Dre being in the final year of his contract all contributed to this pick making sense, but they weren't the motivating factor.  They stuck true to their board.  
- I know I already posted this in the draft chat but it's worth repeating.  A fan asked something to the tune of whether or not picking in front of Pittsburgh had any influence on the pick (I could barely hear the fan but this is what I assume was asked).  Guenther responded with "We don't care about Pittsburgh" to a roar of cheers from the fans.

That's huge because we're finally doing so well in drafting.  

Last night was another surprise pick where I was pissed at first but then look at it and think "that was a damn nice pick!"

Also, we don't care about Pittsburgh, but forcing them to take a fourth round corner was nice!
Reply/Quote
Everything we're hearing about this young man is great. I think adding a corner was a good idea given the situation and he sounds like a really good one. Admit it was hard watching those WRs melting away, but this was a good move, considering everything.
Reply/Quote
This kid is awesome! Very hard worker and very humble. For what it's worth, I got to know the kid quite well during his time here at Trinity Valley Community College. I'm not a coach or anything, just a former player who spends a lot of time around the team. I've been a Bengals fan my whole life and having them draft not one, but two players ( W. Jackson and P. Dawson) from our team just makes it that much sweeter.
Reply/Quote