Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paulie: Next Head Coach?
When Paulie took over the defense the points allowed has been ranked 12th, 2nd, and 8th. Somewhat respectable. The yards allowed on the other hand was 22nd, 11th, 17th. I know players like Paulie some may even respect him but I don't think he's feared. In fact I think the Bengals Players fear no one on the coaching staff.

I have never been a big fan. I guess Mike Zimmer spoiled me.
And I don't want to put the blame all on the defensive coordinator. I just see the players do not play with any sense of urgency. And the defense is not looked good in the first two preseason games which worries me.

If for some reason Marvin Lewis contract is not renewed after this season and Paulie G. Is promoted as the next head coach then this would worry me more. I guess I am venting because the Cincinnati Bengals let Mike Zimmer getaway.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've never been huge on Guenther (many people on these boards know that).

So if they were to hire him, I wouldn't be excited in any way and basically would just view him as Marvin Lewis 2.0.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Simply why I say a total purge of the coaching staff. Their knowledge is like bed bugs. If you leave even a trace behind, your infestation will grow, your team will fail and the rest of the NFL will continue to pass you buy.

Reply/Quote
I'll just re-post this here:

Quote:2016 ranking:

8th in points allowed
17th in yards allowed

Despite the 8th most pass attempts by opponents, we ranked...

11th in pass yards allowed
11th fewest pass TDs allowed
4th most INTs
5th best passer rating allowed
5th in yards per attempt allowed
19th most sacks

We did have some struggles against the run...

21st in rush yards allowed
23rd in YPA allowed
13th in rush TDs allowed

---------------------------------------------------

We were better in 2015...

2nd in points allowed
11th in yards allowed

Despite the 2nd most pass attempts by opponents, we ranked...

20th in pass yards allowed
2nd fewest pass TDs allowed
3rd most INTs
5th best passer rating allowed
4th in yards per attempt allowed
9th most sacks

Against the run...

7th in rush yards allowed
22nd in YPA allowed
6th in rush TDs allowed

---------------------------------------------------------

Now looking over all of this, we've had a very solid defense. Not exactly the 2000 Ravens, but we've been outstanding against the pass, and excellent at keeping teams from scoring. So I don't think Guenther deserves all the criticism he's received, and I'm not sweating the preseason much. That said, there are things we need to improve on...

1. Pressure/Sacks. We ranked 19th last year, 9th in 2015 and dead last in 2014. This needs to get better.

2. Run defense. We have an average ranking of 21st in YPA allowed and 16th in yards allowed during Guenther's tenure.

3. Fumble recoveries. Some may laugh this off, but you shouldn't. We've ranked 27th or worse in the last 3 years, and it really hurts us in the overall turnovers category. Last year we had the 4th most INTs in the league, but finished only 19th in total turnovers forced. Why? We were dead last in the NFL with a measly 3 fumble recoveries. I'm not sure why this is, but it's definitely a trend.

When you look at all the rankings, it puts it in perspective. He's done an overall good job with the defense. There's some things he could improve on, but some of those issues were also issues under the mighty Zim. That said, while I'm happy with Guenth as d-coordinator, he would certainly not be my first choice as a replacement for Marvin. By default, he's probably the best candidate on the team, but I'm hoping we look outside of the organization for obvious reasons. It's been 15 years of Marvin's regime and it's yielded 0 playoff success...so it's time for something different. I'd prefer an offensive-minded HC for a change.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Jon Gruden.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:53 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Jon Gruden.

He's not leaving that cush media job. I'd be all for it though. He already took a similar team (that couldn't get over the hump) to a championship...albeit that was a long time ago.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Simply why I say a total purge of the coaching staff. Their knowledge is like bed bugs. If you leave even a trace behind, your infestation will grow, your team will fail and the rest of the NFL will continue to pass you buy.

That's a great Point Harley
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure that's who most people are expecting including myself. After letting some pretty good ones slip away over the years this seems like a typical MB move. If this D continues to play as poor as they've shown so far by not being able to execute the basics, how the hell can anyone justify this guy as HC. I don't agree with Marvin still being here but I get the whole continuity argument. But at some point you have to just clean house. This whole culture needs to change.

The thing that worries me is the fact that Marvin has been givin more control over this team than any coach has in a long time. So does it really matter who the next coach is? No coach wants to come here to be a puppet, a yes man. It's almost a guarantee the next coach will be from within unless a college coach is willing to take that step.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll just re-post this here:

When you look at all the rankings, it puts it in perspective. He's done an overall good job with the defense. There's some things he could improve on, but some of those issues were also issues under the mighty Zim. That said, while I'm happy with Guenth as d-coordinator, he would certainly not be my first choice as a replacement for Marvin. By default, he's probably the best candidate on the team, but I'm hoping we look outside of the organization for obvious reasons. It's been 15 years of Marvin's regime and it's yielded 0 playoff success...so it's time for something different. I'd prefer an offensive-minded HC for a change.

Anyone particular offense of minded coach and preference?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:05 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's who most people are expecting including myself. After letting some pretty good ones slip away over the years this seems like a typical MB move. If this D continues to play as poor as they've shown so far by not being able to execute the basics, how the hell can anyone justify this guy as HC. I don't agree with Marvin still being here but I get the whole continuity argument. But at some point you have to just clean house. This whole culture needs to change.

The thing that worries me is the fact that Marvin has been givin more control over this team than any coach has in a long time. So does it really matter who the next coach is? No coach wants to come here to be a puppet, a yes man. It's almost a guarantee the next coach will be from within unless a college coach is willing to take that step.

Damnit. I wish you wouldn't have brought that up because it's definitely true. We have an extremely huge wall that stands between this team and success. Regardless which direction we go, we are stuck in purgatory for many more years.

Reply/Quote
Is there any hope we go through the same process that gave us Marvin Lewis (not entirely sure what that was)? I would not be happy if we hired from within right now. Find an assistance coach on a winning team or maybe someone from college. Someone with energy -- I think Marvin has been good but may be tapped out. New blood could also bring players and other assistant coaches with them theoretically.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:08 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Anyone particular offense of minded coach and preference?

Josh McDaniels has rehabilitated his image.
Same with Scott Linehan
Darrell Bevell 
Harold Goodwin
Sean Payton is always part of trade rumors.
Jay Gruden if he ever really considers coming back (I don't think he will).

I'd be happy with any of these. Bevell and Goodwin are "realistic" options that I'd love.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:39 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I've never been huge on Guenther (many people on these boards know that).

So if they were to hire him, I wouldn't be excited in any way and basically would just view him as Marvin Lewis 2.0.
It would be a re-set back to the 90's most likely, ok close to it. However, I did like that briefest of moments when Paulie G. threatened some players with bench-time, but was overruled by Marvin the Magnificent. So much for accountability in Bengalville.

Personally I don't have any idea if P.G. would be any good as a HC. However, I detest the promoting from within and retaining asst. coaches. I want a top flight HC who will bring in his own staff AND take the Bengals to Super Bowl glory. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's not leaving that cush media job. I'd be all for it though. He already took a similar team (that couldn't get over the hump) to a championship...albeit that was a long time ago.

Don't be too sure. They were talking on NFL radio the other day and said he was getting things in order to return to coaching. No mention of where, just that he was coming back....
Reply/Quote
James Urban or Darrell Bevell I'd be happy with. Paulie G, not so much. Although I've been saying "anybody but Marv" for years now so I couldn't really complain too much... But as people have said, it would be like getting Marv all over again.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:05 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's who most people are expecting including myself. After letting some pretty good ones slip away over the years this seems like a typical MB move. If this D continues to play as poor as they've shown so far by not being able to execute the basics, how the hell can anyone justify this guy as HC. I don't agree with Marvin still being here but I get the whole continuity argument. But at some point you have to just clean house. This whole culture needs to change.

I don't know why, but I'm not too worried about what Mike does once Marv leaves. I feel like maybe he's learned a thing or two by now, and that the team ROYALLY SUCKS when he's meddling with things. Plus he's what, 83 years-old now? On would think he'd be more hands off... Plus he did say "it's Marvin and Katie's team now" in an interview a couple years back. I would hope that means the next coach would also have a huge say in matters... But again, this is mostly wishful thinking and it is Mike Brown we're talking about. But I'm not hesitant in the least about moving on from Marv. I don't believe it's an automatic sentence to 90s Bungle football like many do...

Plus, we have yet to win a single playoff game since Marvin started so how much better are we really? Sure making the playoffs and winning the division on occasion is nice and all, but what good is that if we're useless in when it counts? Zero playoff wins in 7 tries, an abysmal Primetime record, and getting absolutely owned by a hated division rival... Let's be real, we're still a complete joke to the rest of the football world. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't be too sure. They were talking on NFL radio the other day and said he was getting things in order to return to coaching. No mention of where, just that he was coming back....

I think he would be just what we need to restore some fire in this team.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Brian Billick, Jim Tressel, Jeff Fisher, Tony Dungy.....
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Brian Billick, Jim Tressel, Jeff Fisher, Tony Dungy.....

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
John Gruden! But I don't think MB would pay him enough!
Reply/Quote