Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Peak or plateau
(01-07-2022, 10:57 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Has this team repeated the same mistake(s) in different games this season?

Yes.  They come out flat at the start of the game.

In the first quarter of their 6 losses they have only scored a total of 17 points.  There is no excuse for an offense as good as ours only scoring 17 points in 6 quarters.  Even in 5 of their wins they have 3 points or less in the first quarter.

I admire how this team comes back, but clearly they are often unable to make up for their slow starts.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:00 AM)Bryan Wrote: Joe Mixon has 16 touchdowns this year. I'd take that over slightly more yards per game and a better per carry average 

That is more of a team stats than an individual stat.  I am simply pointing out that Mixon has been more productive and much more efficient before this season.  Zac Taylor had nothing to do with developing him into the player he is.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:22 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: IDK about that part. I feel like it's been meh for the past 5 or 6 years lol

There has been a 14-2 AFC team each of the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
As Fred mentioned, consistency has been an issue this year. However, my gut says that is over with the win over the Chiefs. That win was hard fought and the confidence in the locker room is at an all time high. I don’t think it stops here. I also don’t think we’ve peaked yet, and we could go all the way.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have lost against some bad teams (most teams have) but they have beat one of the best teams in football and easily could have beat the Packers, (could be the actual best team) I think we can all agree the Bengals hung in there. This team will go as far as the O-line takes them.
O-line must be the #1 priority in the off season.
The ingredients are here for long term success!
Reply/Quote
Icky Woods career went to hell because of me.. I was at his house the season after his injury to his knee selling him cable TV and took advantage to sell the entire package, Showtime, HBO, Cinemax and the other one whatever it was at the time..  I gotta admit he was kind of out of place in the neighborhood out in Mason. It was like the Stepford wives kind of place. It was like Tuesday afternoon in some lily white neighborhood and suddenly here's some gigantic black guy on crutches milling about in the front yard, but he was smiling so I knocked on the door. I didn't realize who he was until we went in his den with all his trophys then it hit me who he was.. Actually it wasn't till he filled out the form for the order, but he never used "Icky" on it.. What can I say? I'm kind of slow when it comes to names, but really friendly guy.. When we shook hands it was like he was shaking my elbow with my hand all at the same time.. LOL
I've felt terrible about it ever since.. All my fault..  Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 11:36 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Well I think Zac finally saw the light.And I believe that is,in large part at least,the reason for this teams recent record breaking success.

Earlier in the year,you have to admit,Zac was using very conservative play calling.And when the game was on the line,he did not put the ball,or you might say game in his most valued Offensive player,(Joe Burrows) hands.Now he is.If you look at the Bengals most recent win,against the Kansas City Chiefs,that’s a prime example of aggressive play calling.The most aggressive game I’ve Zac call the entire season.

That’s the identity of this offense,and has been all along.Up tempo aggressive play.Sometimes taking big chances,including going for it on fourth down.That’s not to say that it always works,and I know there are times that you need to be more conservative.I’m Glad to see that it appears Zac is more than willing now to just turn Burrow loose.

As was the case with the Third and 27 play in the final drive against the Chiefs.Joe ripped that ball downfield to Ja’Maar Chase for a 30 yard completion and first down.Earlier in the year,I do not think Zac would have done that.

Zac realizing Joe was probably not 100% was conservative to protect Joe. He knows the OL wasn’t the best. He also chose to hold some of the offense back which is smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I said it before the season and so did a lot of other people here.

No.  He played out his contract and became a free agent just like a lot of the better players in the league.

Rated as top DT in free agency.  That is why he got a $14 million a year deal

One of the most productive DTs in the league in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

His numbers are almost identical to 2018 before Zac was coach

2018... 43 rec... 10.2 avg... 3 tds
2021... 49 rec... 10.1 avg... 5 tds

Had a better season in 2018 than this year.  He played two more games this season and only gained 37 more yards.

2018... 83.4 yds/gm... 4.9 avg... 43 receptions
2021... 75.3 yds/gm... 4.1 avg... 42 receptions

Ogunjobi has 3 times the sacks, 3 times the QB pressures, and double the TFL vs 2020. Taylor credits Hobby with a lot of it. Ogunjobi was a bargain for 6 million. Reader was signed the year before. Denying how Taylor changed the culture and helped the production of many players is wrong.If you don’t agree you aren’t listening to the players. They spent a lot of money in free agency but it was a long time coming. And it was all magic and luck that the draft and free agency success happened. I get it. Elizabeth Blackburn could have coached this team to 10 wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
For someone who started a thread to give credit to the HC, the OP seems to be trying very hard to discredit him/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Denying how Taylor changed the culture and helped the production of many players is wrong.If you don’t agree you aren’t listening to the players. 

99% of the time players support their current coach.  Dan Campbell is 7-20-1 as an NFL head coach, but when the Lions won their first game this year I saw a lot of his players singing his praises.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 12:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For someone who started a thread to give credit to the HC, the OP seems to be trying very hard to discredit him/

I gave him credit for being able to win when given the talent needed to win.  Most coaches should be able to do that.

But he has to keep them playing at a consistent level before I will give him credit for being a "good" coach.

My main point was that we should be able to win now.  No more giving him "time to build".  He has had 3 drafts and $150 million in free agents.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 99% of the time players support their current coach.  Dan Campbell is 7-20-1 as an NFL head coach, but when the Lions won their first game this year I saw a lot of his players singing his praises.  

Did you see 99% of the players sing his praises?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I gave him credit for being able to win when given the talent needed to win.  Most coaches should be able to do that.

But he has to keep them playing at a consistent level before I will give him credit for being a "good" coach.

My main point was that we should be able to win now.  No more giving him "time to build".  He has had 3 drafts and $150 million in free agents.  

I heard we are the first team in the history of the NFL to have a 4,000 yard passer, 1,000 yard rusher, and two 1,000 receivers all aged 25 or younger. Why has no other coach in the history of the NFL done that? 

We have spent big in FA but it's been largely on defense. Zac is an offensive coach and it appears the mentality is give Lou talent, let Zac mold talent. 

The future looks bright for both players and coach. I don't have to "wait and see".  You say peak or plateau; I say they're still climbing.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: KC has shown their corners cannot cover our receivers without holding them.

I re-watched the KC game last night. There were so many blatant holds of wide receivers that KC got away with. It seems to be their strategy, to hold and hope the refs don't call them. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I heard we are the first team in the history of the NFL to have a 4,000 yard passer, 1,000 yard rusher, and two 1,000 receivers all aged 25 or younger. Why has no other coach in the history of the NFL done that? 

Maybe because coaches are more concerned with winning than individual stats.

It is silly to brag about Zac having a 1000 yard rusher when our TEAM running game is 22nd in yards and 25th in yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe because coaches are more concerned with winning than individual stats.

It is silly to brag about Zac having a 1000 yard rusher when our TEAM running game is 22nd in yards and 25th in yards per carry.

You say "maybe" because you don't know; what we do know is these offensive skill players are doing something that has never been done in the history of the league;

We are winning, just doing it in a manner that no team in the history of the NFL has done and doing it in only the HC's third year

It's never silly to brag about a 1000 yard rusher. Please list the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per attempt and you'll see the folly in bringing it up. Here's some help (Lions, Jags, Jets, and Seahawks are among them.) Reminds me when Ced Benson's 1,000 yard season's "didn't count" because of YPC. 

But yeah, there are some silly things to argue about; this thread is a prime example. 

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe because coaches are more concerned with winning than individual stats.

The statistic you provide is inconsequential for whether or not Zac has pride, or any other feelings, about Mixon rushing for over 1200 yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:02 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The statistic you provide is inconsequential for whether or not Zac has pride, or any other feelings, about Mixon rushing for over 1200 yards.

Who gives a shit if Zac is proud of Mixon?  The Bengals are 22nd in rushing yards and 25th in yards per carry.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who gives a shit if Zac is proud of Mixon?  The Bengals are 22nd in rushing yards and 25th in yards per carry.

I'm sure many people do, including Mixon. You repeating the same statistic does nothing for your argument.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's never silly to brag about a 1000 yard rusher. Please list the top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards per attempt and you'll see the folly in bringing it up. Here's some help (Lions, Jags, Jets, and Seahawks are among them.) 

Three of the five 1000 yard rushers in the NFL are on teams that will not make the playoffs.

In all the discussions about who are the best coaches in the NFL I have never ever heard them ranked by how many 1000 yard rushers or receivers they had.  And it is silly to claimwe have a good running game just because we have a 1000 yard rusher.
Reply/Quote