Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko anyone?
The dline Needs a rotational DT that is under 30 and get after the QB and collapse the pocket . The Bengals already
Have enough dlinemen at That 30 threshold. Plus has Peko ever played NG in a 3-4 front?
Ask yourself is he the best DT/NG on the market now ?
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 01:36 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The dline Needs a rotational DT that is under 30 and get after the QB and collapse the pocket . 

The Dline needs DTs to help stop the run.  

Age does not matter.
Reply/Quote
Another thing Peko has to consider is his girls already have friends in this area. If the Bengals truly reached out as reported, I expect him to be in Stripes soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 01:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Dline needs DTs to help stop the run.  

Age does not matter.

I think if the offense can put points up on the boad and win the TOP battle you will see a,better run defense 
How many 3 and outs did this offense have last year ? 
I think this front 4 simply had nothing in the tank at times in the 2nd half of games last year 
I respectfully disagree. I think age does matter 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 01:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think if the offense can put points up on the boad and win the TOP battle you will see a,better run defense 

I think this front 4 simply had nothing in the tank at times in the 2nd half of games last year 

TOP had nothing to do with our defense sucking.  They did not play well at the beginning of the games and then wear down late.  They stunk from the very beginning of the games.  We were 28th in points allowed in the first quarter, and 12th in points allowed in the fourth quarter.  We were 28th in first half points allowed and 19th in second half points allowed.

Plus Bengals were 20th in TOP with 29:35 per game (not counting overtimes.

(08-03-2020, 01:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote:  
I respectfully disagree. I think age does matter 

Why is age more important than ability?  That makes no sense at all.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals offense was very porous in producing TDS in 2019.
1st q. 7
2nd q. 9
3rd q. 2,
4th q. 10
Tale away the Miami 4th and it's even more depressing
If your offense can't put TDs on the board then other teams will get a lead on you
And just be content to run the ball and work the clock
So yes there's more to a porous run defense than meets the eye
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 11:45 AM)Synric Wrote: The Ravens brought him in when Michael Pierce was hurt in November and was a solid rotational run defender. He just offers zero pass rush.

He doesn't really need to for the role we are asking him to play.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Niners annihilated us in the running game so did the Ravens. We were ok against some teams but they obliterated us with short pass and getting same result Rams Seahawks Browns Steelers. Reader wants a heavy workload so as long as he stays healthy he should be on the field most downs. Id have no problem with being a rotational guy on team celebrating their first playoff victory in 30 years. Its sad all the great former Bengals that are part of this streak. It ends this season. Be a nice final season from Peko a top 100 Bengal of all time at least in my lifetime.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 02:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If your offense can't put TDs on the board then other teams will get a lead on you
And just be content to run the ball and work the clock

I am sorry, but did you mean to say that if your defense gives up a lot of points early then the other team will get a lead on you and just be content to run the ball and work the clock?

Our defense did not wear down.  The stunk from the very start of the game.  They were 28th in points allowed in the first quarter.  Opposing teams did not just run on our defense after they got a big lead.  They ran the ball on our defense in order to get a big lead.

I can give you a dozen examples of good defenses on the same tam with horrible offenses.  It is ridiculous to watch the defense from last year play and claim they were good but the offense made them look bad
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sorry, but did you mean to say that if your defense gives up a lot of points early then the other team will get a lead on you and just be content to run the ball and work the clock?

Our defense did not wear down.  The stunk from the very start of the game.  They were 28th in points allowed in the first quarter.  Opposing teams did not just run on our defense after they got a big lead.  They ran the ball on our defense in order to get a big lead.

I can give you a dozen examples of good defenses on the same tam with horrible offenses.  It is ridiculous to watch the defense from last year play and claim they were good but the offense made them look bad

i agree. The offense made the offense look bad
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: i agree. The offense made the offense look bad

Wrong.  It only works one way.

Dalton would have had a Pro Bowl season last year if we had a better defense.  His arm just got tired from throwing the ball 40 times a game trying to catch up.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton would have had a Pro Bowl season last year if we had a better defense.  His arm just got tired from throwing the ball 40 times a game trying to catch up.

Lol, stop trolling 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 04:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sorry, but did you mean to say that if your defense gives up a lot of points early then the other team will get a lead on you and just be content to run the ball and work the clock?

The defense was porous. We can agree on that. But it is of my opinion a porous offense has a effect on a,defense too. When offenses cant move the sticks then it has a,mental effect on the defense 
Defenders get back on the field. They tighten up proverbially. They cant play loose and fun. 
They are trying so hard to make a play a quick stop 
When a offense can put points on the board then you put pressure on the other offense to match it. 
And if the margin is big enough a offense can be one dimensional 

Did you know in the Bengals 2 wins last year their run defense gave up 62 and 74 yards 
Why? 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is age more important than ability?  That makes no sense at all.

Because trolling for young talent could potentially yield better results over a longer time frame. Peko is probably still a solid player, but the odds of him contributing to a the team three years from now are extraordinarily low. 

I'd prefer the "troll the depths for overlooked young talent" approach before going ham on singing the stopgap guys. Would you rather have $1,000 in lotto tickets and highly speculative stocks or would you rather have a 2 year treasury bill?
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 05:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The defense was porous. We can agree on that. But it is of my opinion a porous offense has a effect on a,defense too. When offenses cant move the sticks then it has a,mental effect on the defense 
Defenders get back on the field. They tighten up proverbially. They cant play loose and fun. 
They are trying so hard to make a play a quick stop 
When a offense can put points on the board then you put pressure on the other offense to match it. 
And if the margin is big enough a offense can be one dimensional 

You are just making all of that up in your mind.  There are no facts to back it up.  Just look at where these teams with top 10 defenses ranked offensively

.................DEF.......OFF
BUF............ 3........... 24
PIT............. 5........... 30
NYJ............ 7........... 32
CHI............ 8........... 29
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 05:38 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Because trolling for young talent could potentially yield better results over a longer time frame. Peko is probably still a solid player, but the odds of him contributing to a the team three years from now are extraordinarily low. 

I'd prefer the "troll the depths for overlooked young talent" approach before going ham on singing the stopgap guys. Would you rather have $1,000 in lotto tickets and highly speculative stocks or would you rather have a 2 year treasury bill?

I'd take a two year treasury bill over $1000 in lottery tickets any day of the week.

If we had no chance of winning anything this year then we could go with a lottery ticket.  But it is time to start winning now.  I am tired of "waiting until next year".
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are just making all of that up in your mind.  There are no facts to back it up.  Just look at where these teams with top 10 defenses ranked offensively

.................DEF.......OFF
BUF............ 3........... 24
PIT............. 5........... 30
NYJ............ 7........... 32
CHI............ 8........... 29

Is that pts allowed or yardage ??
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 05:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Is that pts allowed or yardage ??

If you care then look it up.

Show us all how all the bad defenses are from teams with bad offenses.
Reply/Quote

For sure ! The defense stunk right out of the gate, it wasn't in any way a getting worn down thing. 

As far as Peko goes I'm not opposed to bringing him back for a season as a role player.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 01:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Another thing Peko has to consider is his girls already have friends in this area. If the Bengals truly reached out as reported, I expect him to be in Stripes soon.

Yes, everyone.  What a critical point this poster just bestowed. 

Pekos daughters have friends in the tri-state, so that means he's going to be in stripes soon!

---

What a strange, bizarre and overall creepy thought to share with everyone.  
Reply/Quote