Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private"
I guess we can lump the shutdown ino here too.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-administration-suggests-furloughed-workers-do-chores-for-landlords-to-help-pay-rent

Quote:Trump Administration Suggests Furloughed Workers Do Chores for Landlords to Help Pay Rent

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management on Thursday tweeted advice to furloughed federal workers on how to explain their precarious financial situation to creditors and landlords—including one sample letter with the suggestion that they offer to perform chores in exchange for rent payments. “I will keep in touch with you to keep you informed about my income status and I would like to discuss with you the possibility of trading my services to perform maintenance (e.g. painting, carpentry work) in exchange for partial rent payments,” one sample letter to a landlord read. The agency also urged workers to “please consult with your personal attorney” for any required legal advice amid the partial government shutdown, during which nearly 800,000 workers have either been furloughed or asked to work without pay. On Thursday night, prospects looked even grimmer as the House and Senate both adjourned for the weekend, guaranteeing the shutdown will continue until at least next week.

Quote:[Image: BWBcpvN9_normal.jpg]
[/url]OPM

@USOPM
Feds, here are sample letters you may use as a guide when working with your creditors during this furlough. If you need legal advice please consult with your personal attorney.
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/sample-letters-for-creditors-mortgage-companies-and-landlords.doc …

10:21 AM - Dec 27, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

[url=https://twitter.com/USOPM/status/1078309890832166912]2,020 people are talking about this

I'm kind of surprised Trump hasn't suggested they just ask their rich daddy for a loan....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-28-2018, 11:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: I guess we can lump the shutdown ino here too.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-administration-suggests-furloughed-workers-do-chores-for-landlords-to-help-pay-rent

I'm kind of surprised Trump hasn't suggested they just ask their rich daddy for a loan....

It's good of OPM to try to provide advice and assistance during this time. If it's anything like the times I was furloughed each employment should have received a briefing and signed a letter of understanding with their supervisor that explained options available to the employee to include unemployment compensation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-28-2018, 03:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's good of OPM to try to provide advice and assistance during this time. If it's anything like the times I was furloughed each employment should have received a briefing and signed a letter of understanding with their supervisor that explained options available to the employee to include unemployment compensation.

Oh sure!  My personal attorney agreed.   Smirk
(12-28-2018, 03:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh sure!  My personal attorney agreed.   Smirk

Well that's because your personal lawyer has sense. This is not the time to be trying it alone.

(12-28-2018, 04:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well that's because your personal lawyer has sense. This is not the time to be trying it alone.

Awww....you didn't read the letter or you don't get sarcasm.  Kinda sad.
(12-28-2018, 04:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Awww....you didn't read the letter or you don't get sarcasm.  Kinda sad.

Oh, you were trying to be witty; you should really know your capabilities and limitations.

Or maybe, just maybe, I recognized the feeble attempt all along.

(12-28-2018, 04:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, you were trying to be witty; you should really know your capabilities and limitations.

Or maybe, just maybe, I recognized the feeble attempt all along.

Personal slurs aside...you really didn't get it.

Nor do you get the real plight of those affected by DJT's ego tantrum.

Or maybe, just maybe, you do and didn't care all along.
(12-28-2018, 04:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Awww....you didn't read the letter or you don't get sarcasm.  Kinda sad.

(12-28-2018, 04:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Personal slurs aside...you really didn't get it.

Nor do you get the real plight of those affected by DJT's ego tantrum.

Or maybe, just maybe, you do and didn't care all along.

No doubt

(12-28-2018, 04:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt

You're funny.   Mellow
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/yw793y/government-workers-are-sharing-their-shutdownstories-on-social-media-theyre-grim
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-28-2018, 08:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/yw793y/government-workers-are-sharing-their-shutdownstories-on-social-media-theyre-grim

It is absolutely terrible that Congress will use these folks as pawns.

It should be mandated in the Constitution that every time the Government shuts down (partial or otherwise) the Legislative and Executive Branches should have to work for free until there is a resolution. 

I will say the article linked appears to try to place this on only one branch. As I've said from jump: Once Congress agrees upon a resolution; this shutdown lies solely on them. Once POTUS vetoes a resolution then it's on him. 

(12-28-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is absolutely terrible that Congress will use these folks as pawns.

It should be mandated in the Constitution that every time the Government shuts down (partial or otherwise) the Legislative and Executive Branches should have to work for free until there is a resolution. 

I will say the article linked appears to try to place this on only one branch. As I've said from jump: Once Congress agrees upon a resolution; this shutdown lies solely on them. Once POTUS vetoes a resolution then it's on him. 

Yawn.

Congress passed a CR that the POTUS decided not to sign after it was passed because he's weak and doesn't want his right wing media friends criticizing him.

The GOP in the house proved to be even weaker by falling on their knees and passing a resolution that had no chance of even getting a vote in the senate.
Posturing, bluster and lies.

All that DJT can ever offer.

https://thehill.com/latino/423089-trump-threatens-to-cut-aid-to-honduras-guatemala-and-el-salvador

[/url]
Quote:[url=https://thehill.com/people/donald-trump]President Trump on Friday threatened to cut foreign aid to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, accusing the Central American countries of "doing nothing for the United States but taking our money."

"Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador are doing nothing for the United States but taking our money," Trump tweeted.

"Word is that a new Caravan is forming in Honduras and they are doing nothing about it. We will be cutting off all aid to these 3 countries - taking advantage of U.S. for years!"

This is not the first time that Trump has threatened stop providing foreign aid to countries he says are not doing enough to stop migrant caravans from forming. In October he said that "no more money or aid will be given to Honduras" if a migrant caravan was not stopped.

Trump has made illegal immigration a key focus of his presidency. Leading up to the 2018 miderms he focused heavily on a migrant caravan moving toward the U.S. from Guatemala, labeling it as an "invasion" that would bring crime and drugs across the Southern border.

Reducing foreign aid to the countries would require congressional approval through the appropriations process, which would be unlikely with Democrats retaking the House majority in January.  

The U.S. gave $180 million to Honduras, $257 million to Guatemala and $118 million to El Salvador in aid in 2017, according to data from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Trump's threat came at the end of a string of tweets where he threatened to close the U.S.-Mexico border if he doesn't get funding for his border wall.

The president's comments come on the seventh day of a partial government shutdown with no end in sight.
The shutdown began on Saturday after Democrats rejected demands from Trump that $5 billion for the wall be included in a measure to keep the government open.

How long will his supporters continue to allow themselves to be made fools of by believing what he spouts?  I guess we'll find out eventually.
Now DJT says he "may" or "could" declare a national emergency and use defense funds to build his wall.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/congressional-leaders-meet-at-white-house-as-shutdown-stances-harden

Quote:President Trump stood firm Friday on his demands for a border wall after the second White House meeting with congressional leaders this week broke up with no apparent deal, warning Democrats the partial government shutdown could last "years" and saying he could even declare a "national emergency" to bypass Congress if necessary.

“We can call a national emergency [to build a border wall] because of the security of our country,” Trump told reporters in the Rose Garden, during a lengthy and impromptu press conference.

“I may do it,” he said, before adding, “If we can do it through a negotiated process, we’re giving it a shot.”

What have the fools brought on this country with this guy?
(12-28-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say the article linked appears to try to place this on only one branch. As I've said from jump: Once Congress agrees upon a resolution; this shutdown lies solely on them. Once POTUS vetoes a resolution then it's on him. 

I wanted to revisit this in light of recent events. The House passed legislation that was approved unanimously by the Senate about a month ago. Now, McConnell refuses to bring it to the floor, or anything to the floor, unless it will be signed by Trump. This is ludicrous as he has the votes to override a veto, but instead of working towards the best interests of the country we have a Senate majority leader that is more concerned about how partisan optics.

Let me be clear, I am not blaming the whole GOP for this. I am blaming McConnell because he is the one who won't put anything on the floor unless it will be signed by Trump. That is not how Congress is supposed to work.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
More "ideas" for DJY on how he can force his wall on the American taxpayer.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/trump-i-could-declare-a-national-emergency-to-get-border-wall/

Quote:He also said he could seize private property from people who own land on the border “under the military version” of eminent domain, the law that allows the government to seize private property for public or private development and not face any court action.

Just what he promised and what his supporters voted for...right?
Remember the extended discussions over why the National Parks and Monuments were closed during the last big shutdown during Obama's tenure? This is why: https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2019/01/04/three-dead-national-parks-shutdown-wears/?utm_term=.a5dbc01b9a19

[Image: 49643138_2385936564959877_31143639025367...e=5C92CE1D]
(01-07-2019, 12:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 49643138_2385936564959877_31143639025367...e=5C92CE1D]

This is the infuriating thing to me. The bill that just passed the House was literally approved unanimously by the Senate less than a month ago. Suddenly it's a non-starter because the Democrats are in charge of the House? This party over country bullshit is getting ridiculous.