Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People covering the team have no clue who's in charge
Interesting Podcast.

Richard Skinner covers the team but has no clue who actually makes the personnel calls.

He speculates that Marvin was in charge for a while...then once the Bengals lost Whitworth and drafted Ross (presumably against Marvins will) that Marvin basically gave up control as he was upset.

Here's a link to the podcast. The Marvin stuff is a few minutes in:

https://local12.com/sports/the-skinny-podcast/the-skinny-podcast-talking-sports-with-rick-broering-102319
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting Podcast.

Richard Skinner covers the team but has no clue who actually makes the personnel calls.

He speculates that Marvin was in charge for a while...then once the Bengals lost Whitworth and Ross that Marvin basically gave up control as he was upset.

Here's a link to the podcast. The Marvin stuff is a few minutes in:

https://local12.com/sports/the-skinny-podcast/the-skinny-podcast-talking-sports-with-rick-broering-102319

I think you need to edit the bolded, as Ross is still around.
I think you meant lost Whitworth and drafted Ross.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not surprising since we have covered the team for decades and don't really know who is making the personnel decisions.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not surprising since we have covered the team for decades and don't really know who is making the personnel decisions.

Yeah. Interestingly...IF Marvin was making the decisions for the drafts...and he gave up control after Whitworth left...that explains some of it.

Although, Ced and Fisher were drafted a year before Whitworth left.
Reply/Quote
Even with teams that have GMs there are always rumors of owners having some control over draft and free agency.

No different here.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even with teams that have GMs there are always rumors of owners having some control over draft and free agency.

No different here.

I would say that there is no team run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:44 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I would say that there is no team run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals.

Wrong. Nearly every team was run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals ... like 60 years ago.  Sad
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Wrong. Nearly every team was run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals ... like 60 years ago.  Sad

Yep. Before computers. Analytics. Scouting. When there were like 8 teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:44 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I would say that there is no team run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals.

Confused

What does this have to do with my post that you quoted? 

All I am saying is that with every team there are rumors about how much influence the owner has over player decisions.
Reply/Quote
No one wants to admit to making personnel decision for this team. And who can blame them?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Wait..is anyone suggesting that someone actually runs the Bengals? I assume someone just put something heavy on the gas pedal and immediately jumped out. Or...maybe something light.. Yeah..light it were.. But it was still right on a mountain pass with no guardrails in place.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's Duke he has basically become a member of the family.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It's Duke he has basically become a member of the family.

that's when it all started rolling downhill
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It's Duke he has basically become a member of the family.

You mean you don't trust Duke and his plans for "home grown tomatoes...errr talent"?
Whenever I hear that phrase I want to find the little garden behind the stadium where such talent is grown.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: You mean you don't trust Duke and his plans for "home grown tomatoes...errr talent"?
Whenever I hear that phrase I want to find the little garden behind the stadium where such talent is grown.. 

It's the practice field under the bridge.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's the practice field under the bridge.

They undoubtedly use Miracle Grow to fertilize the talent since it actually requires a miracle with this team..

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. Interestingly...IF Marvin was making the decisions for the drafts...and he gave up control after Whitworth left...that explains some of it.

Although, Ced and Fisher were drafted a year before Whitworth left.

Ced and Fisher weren't "weird" draft picks though. Those guys were pretty highly touted prospects coming out of college. The Ross pick was a reach from the beginning. You know what I mean? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

(10-25-2019, 01:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that's when it all started rolling downhill

Mike loves Duke's new plan to save money in free agency.  .  .  

[Image: bush-beans-duke.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even with teams that have GMs there are always rumors of owners having some control over draft and free agency.

No different here.

What's your point? It's still not run and not an ideal way to run an organization. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What's your point? 

You may not understand, but what I was doing was actually commenting on the subject in the OP instead of just posting "Bengals suck" as a reply to everything in every thread.
Reply/Quote