Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Jason La Canfora, Dalton, offseason.
(11-19-2019, 10:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: There were haters from the first time he faded under the lights like a pair of bleached Levi's. 

That 49ers game was a 1pm game and either way, you said Dalton got "9 years".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 11:15 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Nine year audition for Dalton and two games for Finley? The whiners are coming out with their daggers because their loser boy, Dalton, got benched. Dalton is gone . Bet on it. Lost eight games in a row and now after a QB who has never played they attack him from all sides. The rebuild is on. We know what we had and it wasn't good enough.

Pretty much all of the Andy supporters have also supported Finley and even felt he needs at least the rest of this season to tell what he is and is not good at. Ironically the people calling for Finley's head are some of the same who called for Andy's head. 

The issues on this offense go FAR deeper than QB. It's poor scheme combined with poor blocking. Finley has been set up to fail just like Andy was. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 11:15 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Nine year audition for Dalton and two games for Finley? The whiners are coming out with their daggers because their loser boy, Dalton, got benched. Dalton is gone . Bet on it. Lost eight games in a row and now after a QB who has never played they attack him from all sides. The rebuild is on. We know what we had and it wasn't good enough.

Finley won't be in the league in 9 years...

Let's take "What isn't good enough", and replace it with something much less. Gotta have a look at this scrub that Opie traded up for in the draft.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 09:04 PM)jason Wrote: Finley won't be in the league in 9 years...

Dalton shouldn't have been either. Dalton is a step up from Finley, no more no less.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 09:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pretty much all of the Andy supporters have also supported Finley and even felt he needs at least the rest of this season to tell what he is and is not good at. Ironically the people calling for Finley's head are some of the same who called for Andy's head. 

The issues on this offense go FAR deeper than QB. It's poor scheme combined with poor blocking. Finley has been set up to fail just like Andy was. 

I would think that you would have to agree that Andy has had many teams that are better than the current crop.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 09:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: Pretty much all of the Andy supporters have also supported Finley and even felt he needs at least the rest of this season to tell what he is and is not good at. Ironically the people calling for Finley's head are some of the same who called for Andy's head. 

Indeed.

Honestly, IF you put 2 good lineman, and a good WR on this roster...I still feel like the playcalling would hold it back. We'd likely have several wins though.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 09:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There were numerous threads ripping Dalton after his 3rd start (against the 49ers) back on the old board. This after 2 good games to start his career.

Dalton didn't get "9 years". There were haters from jump.

We'll just have to rely on your non-biased memory as to what happened 9 years ago; although, mine is not as clear. But we can agree there are Finley haters "from jump" and flawless memory is not required.

He's to hoping the kid kills the Steelers this weekend; unfortunately, I don't think the board is in unison on this. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We'll just have to rely on your non-biased memory as to what happened 9 years ago; although, mine is not as clear. But we can agree there are Finley haters "from jump" and flawless memory is not required.

He's to hoping the kid kills the Steelers this weekend; unfortunately, I don't think the board is in unison on this. 

I will always root for our guys to succeed and unfair to bash Finley  Not you but others)after 2 games and with depleted OL and WR group. He is a rookie, let's hope he progresses each week and not expect him to be Tom Brady in 3rd start of NFL career.

Patience and think he has potential, h may not be a franchise QB, but normally 8 to 10 tops in NFL at any given time.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
My dream off season would be trade Glenn, trade Dalton, sign Bridgewater to play QB, then trade the #1 pick for more picks and build the line and lb corp.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 03:18 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My dream off season would be trade Glenn, trade Dalton, sign Bridgewater to play QB, then trade the #1 pick for more picks and build the line and lb corp.

How long do you think ZT would stick with Bridgewater before Finley or some other "cross your fingers and hope for the best" QB replaces him?  We have a decent, doesn't rock the boat QB on the roster and he's on the bench...what makes other QBs think they're going to be the exception here?

I think ZT needs that sort of "we are in evaluation mode, so ignore the scoreboard" comfort that having a new guy under center brings.  The last thing ZT wants is a vet QB that puts him into "you should be winning something right now" mode.  This is why I see Finley taking the lumps for a few games next season before the QB we go all-in on at #1 overall takes the field and starts learning on the fly.

Just my take.  Though, I could see Tannehill being the lump-taking vet but he's performed well enough this year that he probably doesn't have to take a bottom of the barrel deal to go to Cincy with his ol' pal.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 03:18 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My dream off season would be trade Glenn, trade Dalton, sign Bridgewater to play QB, then trade the #1 pick for more picks and build the line and lb corp.

Agree 100%. With acquired picks from trading the #1 pick they would go far to improve the teams core. The only problem is Mike would have to dip farther into free agency to make the team competitive next year. We know what he does though. Waits til after the draft and swoops in an signs FAs no other team wants. I feel like we are in the movie "Groundhog Day" where we wake up every season and nothing really changes.
Reply/Quote

This is crazy.  If you go with a veteran QB then just keep dalton.  He is a much better QB than Bridgewater.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is crazy.  If you go with a veteran QB then just keep dalton.  He is a much better QB than Bridgewater.

Hell, we may as well just keep Finley there since all I can see a QB who isn't a 1st overall pick doing here is getting knocked around and losing.  I can't help but feel like the Dalton ship has sailed once he's been benched.  Other teams have benched their starting QB and gone back to him like the Bears benching Cutler for Clausssen and the Giants benching Eli for Geno Smith but each time the HC was doing it as a last ditch effort to save his job and he was gone and the starter was back eventually.

It just seems like ZT or Dalton are going to have to be gone next year.  Can the toothpaste really go back in the tube?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is crazy.  If you go with a veteran QB then just keep dalton.  He is a much better QB than Bridgewater.

If I had a nickle for every QB told me Andy Dalton was better than; I'd be rich. If Fred were right, we'd have a case full of Lombardis
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Finley is not good at throwing beyond 15 yards. It was a known issue leading up to the draft and has shown in the games he's played in the NFL.
He also doesn't have as quick of a release as Dalton does, which is important with a bad OL.

As you said, Finley has been set up to fail. If he had a good OL and the offense was more of a WCO, he might be ok.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: There were haters from the first time he faded under the lights like a pair of bleached Levi's. 

Not that I'm advocating for Dalton to start for the Bengals ever again, but Dalton has never completed less than 45% of his passes like Finley did last Sunday.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 03:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not that I'm advocating for Dalton to start for the Bengals ever again, but Dalton has never completed less than 45% of his passes like Finley did last Sunday.

Not that I am touting Finley but he has lost two games this year and Andy has lost eight. What's the point. Trying to change a team that has failed miserably is not wrong. Finley may not be the answer but you have rose colored glasses if you think Andy is the answer. If Dalton is as good as the "GANG" thinks then we ought to get at least one first round pick for him.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 09:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: How long do you think ZT would stick with Bridgewater before Finley or some other "cross your fingers and hope for the best" QB replaces him?  We have a decent, doesn't rock the boat QB on the roster and he's on the bench...what makes other QBs think they're going to be the exception here?

I think ZT needs that sort of "we are in evaluation mode, so ignore the scoreboard" comfort that having a new guy under center brings.  The last thing ZT wants is a vet QB that puts him into "you should be winning something right now" mode.  This is why I see Finley taking the lumps for a few games next season before the QB we go all-in on at #1 overall takes the field and starts learning on the fly.

Just my take.  Though, I could see Tannehill being the lump-taking vet but he's performed well enough this year that he probably doesn't have to take a bottom of the barrel deal to go to Cincy with his ol' pal.

Bridgewater has shown the ability to win in Minnesota and looks fully recovered and playing well in New Orleans this year on his one year prove it deal. 

The idea behind getting Teddy is to have a first round QB without burning a pick on Burrows, who may or may not be able to play in the NFL, Bridgewater has shown he can win at the NFL level, any draft pick is a gamble. He is an upgrade over Dalton and he is a local guy who would bring back a small portion of the fanbase on name alone. 

After that you would have to extend Green and use the draft picks from trading back and dumping Dalton and Glenn to impact the O-Line and LB corp. It becomes a situation where you are competitive quickly.

In what world is Dalton better then Bridgewater?

Bridgewater is 5 years younger and trending up while Dalton has been steadily trending down in his numbers since 2015.

In 6 starts for Teddy this year he has the same amount of TDs as Dalton, with less interceptions and a QBR of 98.9. How is Dalton better at this point in their careers?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 06:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Bridgewater has shown the ability to win in Minnesota and looks fully recovered and playing well in New Orleans this year on his one year prove it deal. 

The idea behind getting Teddy is to have a first round QB without burning a pick on Burrows, who may or may not be able to play in the NFL, Bridgewater has shown he can win at the NFL level, any draft pick is a gamble. He is an upgrade over Dalton and he is a local guy who would bring back a small portion of the fanbase on name alone. 

After that you would have to extend Green and use the draft picks from trading back and dumping Dalton and Glenn to impact the O-Line and LB corp. It becomes a situation where you are competitive quickly.

I don't think you're crazy or anything, I just doubt Bridgewater, or any vet with a better option would want to come here.  Bridgewater turned down the Dolphins job which was a starting gig so he could be in NO behind Brees...the fact he started and looked good was a bonus that people didn't see coming.  Up until this year Brees had missed like 3 games over a 12 year span.

It's possible I'm just too far deep in pessimism mode but I can't see a QB coming here unless he's out of other options or we draft him and he's stuck.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 06:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: In what world is Dalton better then Bridgewater?

Bridgewater is 5 years younger and trending up while Dalton has been steadily trending down in his numbers since 2015.

In 6 starts for Teddy this year he has the same amount of TDs as Dalton, with less interceptions and a QBR of 98.9. How is Dalton better at this point in their careers?

Also- Bridgewater is mobile.  Behind a swiss cheese line, you have to be able to move.

I still hold to trying to trade for CAM after going for Chase Young with the first pick- which is a stone cold lock.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote