Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year..

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/5/10922544/marvin-jones-not-offering-bengals-hometown-discount-wants-7-million

Discuss. Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
No hometown discount? eek...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Why would he give a hometown discount. Cincinnati is not his hometown.

I'd say he is easily worth $6+ million a year. Seven is probably the upper limit of what I would pay.
Reply/Quote
He'll get it elsewhere. Not bad. Wideouts normally break the bank.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
To me, Marvin's kind of a tough one. We've seen what he can do at times and the difference he made being back in the offense this year. We've never seen what he can do without AJ on the other side.

He's unproven as a 1, so another team paying him big money to be a 1 is taking a bit of a shot in the dark. Will a team pay him big money to be a 2?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
7m for our #3 target?

Depends on how they feel about Sanu I guess.
Reply/Quote
Ask A. Dalton what he thinks, probably the only one that matters
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:50 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year..

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/5/10922544/marvin-jones-not-offering-bengals-hometown-discount-wants-7-million

Discuss. Big Grin

I really have no idea how this is going to unfold, but I'm rather convinced that Adam Jones and Iloka are the two top Cinci free agents, not Marvin Jones. But we need a legit #2 WR and that's not Sanu in my book. So the team may pony up $7M per on a 3 year deal. Would at least cross that problem off the list. Of course, Sanu would have to be let go and replaced in the draft.

Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones will be a Raider. =(
Reply/Quote
He's just setting the bar high and trying to make teams get in a bidding war for him, and also so teams don't lowball him, but no one is going to give him 7 a year.

Marvin succeeded because he had AJ on the other side, and he is a solid receiver, but not one that can command 7 a year.

Who knows, though, because Hue did give us that insane deal for Carson.

Outside of Hue or someone developing dementia in the next month or two, he's not getting 7 and could very well be back here.
Reply/Quote
Julio Jones and Antonio Brown had more receiving yards this year than Jones has had in his 4 years combined. He did have 10 TD's in 2013 though and he'll use that as his main bargaining chip, which isn't worth much in my opinion as he only had 4 this year.

Mike Brown lowballs ($4-5 million) him I think and I don't blame him really.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I don't believe Marvin Jones will get $7 million, but somewhere between $5-6 million is very realistic.
Reply/Quote
That's not bad at all and he is worth that for us.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I really have no idea who this is going to unfold, but I'm rather convinced that Adam Jones and Iloka are the two top Cinci free agents, not Marvin Jones. But we need a legit #2 WR and that's not Sanu in my book. So the team may pony up $7M per on a 3 year deal. Would at least cross that problem off the list. Of course, Sanu would have to be let go and replaced in the draft.

Do not want to pay top dollar on anything long term which MJ will be seeking.  Like FT suggestion and would offer 6 million.

Know this is only me talking and most will disagree.

But I hope Pac Man is sent packing man and not a higher priority than Marvin Jones. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not want to pay top dollar on anything long term which MJ will be seeking.  Like FT suggestion and would offer 6 million.

Know this is only me talking and most will disagree.

But I hope Pac Man is sent packing man and not a higher priority than Marvin Jones. 

Certainly understand why anyone would feel that way about Pacman, but I'd hesitate to give up the work he does on Antonio Brown, if nothing else.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:07 PM)McC Wrote: Certainly understand why anyone would feel that way about Pacman, but I'd hesitate to give up the work he does on Antonio Brown, if nothing else.

I agree. Paying someone a few million per year to shut down Antonio Brown is completely worth it in my book. And paying someone to take care of Le'veon Bell is worth it as well. Burfict and Jones are the back bone of our defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 7m for our #3 target?  

Depends on how they feel about Sanu I guess.

I think the concern would be $7m for our backup #1. If Green goes down, Jones moves up substantially in targets.

That said, I'll be surprised if we go $7. We'll offer $5, he'll go to Cleveland or the Raiders and we'll take a WR in the first couple rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Marvin Jones will be a Raider. =(

They don't need him. They have Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree.

As for $7 million, the following receivers are set to make $7 million in 2016:

Torrey Smith
Andre Johnson
Kendall Wright
Michael Floyd
Golden Tate

Every one of those guys had a better track record than Marvin Jones when they signed their contract. Jones is overvaluing himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:50 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year..

Discuss. Big Grin

What is the price in 2016 for a late 1st round pick or a late 2nd who is more capable of being a true #1 within a year or two? My hunch is 50% less so I would rather draft if the case versus paying a solid, but not great #2 7 million plus a year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
$7m+? Ffffffffff that. I was fine if he wanted to come back for like $5-5.5m/yr or so, but paying Low #1/High #2 money for an injury prone guy who gets to play behind AJ Green? No thanks.

Time to offer Anquan Boldin some money. Dude broke his jaw and just played with it wired shut without painkillers. He can be the #2 and teach the WR they draft how to fight for balls like a champ.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote