Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
4 million with incentives for 7.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2016, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you think we should pay MLJ like he is a #1 WR?

I certainly see your point,  and generally agree that we want to avoid overpaying the guy.  I also think highly of the receivers you mentioned.  

But we're nearing the end of our window, and I don't see any receiver coming in and replacing MLJ's value in 2016.  And we have too many other pressing needs to address in the draft (DT/LB/C) to have to waste a pick on a WR
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are going to have over 30M in cap space. So it's not going to be about whether they can keep some of these guys (and probably over pay them), but will they?

Marvin Jones, Reggie Nelson, George Iloka and Adam Jones, on the open market, will demand more than the Bengals are willing to spend.

I think you need to franchise tag Iloka and consider overpaying for Adam Jones and Marvin Jones. Everyone else, unfortunately, can walk. I would also like to keep Sims, Gilberry and Rey.

Leon Hall, Mo Sanu, Andre Smith, Reggie Nelson, goodbye,
Reply/Quote
The drop off with Sanu is pretty amazing when you dig into the numbers:

First 11 games of 2014:

86 targets (7.8 per game)
49 catches (4.5 per game)
719 yards (65.4 per game)
5 TDs

Last 21 games:

61 targets (2.9 per game)
40 catches (1.9 per game)
465 yards (22.1 per game)
0 TDs

I get that the health (or lack of) for AJ and MLJ skews things a bit, but Sanu has been non-existent for a long time. 0 TD catches in 21 straight games? 23 counting playoffs?

That's hard to believe.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 12:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The drop off with Sanu is pretty amazing when you dig into the numbers:

First 11 games of 2014:

5 TDs

Last 21 games:

0 TDs

I get that the health (or lack of) for AJ and MLJ skews things a bit, but Sanu has been non-existent for a long time. 0 TD catches in 21 straight games? 23 counting playoffs?

That's hard to believe.

His primary targets for TDs were redzone TDs....that mantle got passed to Eifert. 
Reply/Quote
I like Marvin Jones as much as the next guy but to pay him 7 million a year would not be smart because he is not a true number one. He has only put up his average but not great numbers due to being on the opposite side of AJ being double teamed most of the time. Imagine if he was the one being double teamed. He would get nowhere the production he did with the Bengals. Honestly I would not give him anything more than 5 million a year but that would be stretching it for me because he is injury prone also. We can draft his replacement much cheaper or I would even make a run at Anquan Boldin because even though he is older he is a winner and he is one of the better possession receivers in the league which would be huge for this offense. I would let Cleveland or another team pay him what he is asking for because when he tries to be a number one receiver he will realize the mistake he made by trying to cash in. Also honestly I think we could keep Sanu for way below that figure and he can produce if given the complete chance. Also in his interview he sounds like he is gone anyway so this team will be fine. However if there are a couple of players I think we need to resign that would be Adam Jones and George Iloka. They to me are a key part of the defense. Also if we could get Reggie Nelson on a cap friendly deal I would resign him too and I would honestly let Leon Hall walk unless they can get him to sign for under 3 million a year because he is not worth anything else due to his decline in play. I trust in the front office that they will make it work because since Katie has been given more freedom they have been successful at retaining the key pieces to the team. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 12:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The drop off with Sanu is pretty amazing when you dig into the numbers:

First 11 games of 2014:

5 TDs

Last 21 games:

0 TDs

That's hard to believe.

Being the 4th/5th option does change that..
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 02:52 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Being the 4th/5th option does change that..

He disappeared the end of the '14 season when he was one of the top 2 healthy options.

I actually like Sanu.  I think he has the ability to play like he did the first half of '14.  But his drop in production is a major concern.
Reply/Quote
I guess my whole thing is that Marvin Jones seems important enough to our offense that paying him an extra million bucks might be worth the peace o' mind we get by:

- not having to see if he is important or not when he's gone
- not using a draft pick on a replacement
- not being stuck hoping Sanu/Wright/the next Binns/the next Coles can step-up and take his spot

are we up against the salary cap where we simply can't afford to "overpay" this guy? It's not my money to spend, so I'm neither afraid of overpaying, nor proud of saving money, but I'll say that saving a million bucks while we are 8 million under the cap isn't going to go a long way towards appeasing me IF our offense suffers.

Of course if it WAS my money I would paint the guy as delusional and greedy and being a total fool to leave this dynamite franchise and it's championship potential to play for a few extra bucks and a 31st place finish in Cleveland!
Reply/Quote
he made a highlight video of himself of the 2015-2016 season. which was okay at best, the at the end of the video he puts a highlight from 2013. sad guy. he will realize that the grass isn't greener on the other side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFnuDr72w-M
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:32 PM)rob Wrote: he made a highlight video of himself of the 2015-2016 season. which was okay at best, the at the end of the video he puts a highlight from 2013. sad guy. he will realize that the grass isn't greener on the other side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFnuDr72w-M

I just love the psychology that goes on during stuff like this.

So let's see, if he goes to a bad team to be a #1 and/or make #1 money he is going to be sadly mistaken and find that the grass isn't always greener and he will watch the Bengals be successful as he languishes on a crap team.

So what if he takes less money to go to New England or Carolina?  Will he then be a loser who just wants to leech onto an "easy winner" rather than put in the hard work to elevate the Bengals?  I'm just curious.  What if he DOES go somewhere where the grass seems to be greener?

He wants to be a #1 on a WR-needy team, which makes him a fool
He wants to stay here
He wants to go to a team that needs WRs where he will probably be depth, but can win a ring
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones only made about $500K a year these past four seasons. (4 year $2.2 million). By the time he finishes his next contract he may be too old or injured to make much money. There is a good chance he will make more money on this next contract than in all the rest of his life combined.

No one should blame him for getting every dollar that he can. Taking a pay cut to win a championship is for guys 30+ who have already made huge piles of money, not 25 year olds who were 5th round picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin Jones only made about $500K a year these past four seasons.  (4 year $2.2 million).  By the time he finishes his next contract he may be too old or injured to make much money.  There is a good chance he will make more money on this next contract than in all the rest of his life combined.  

No one should blame him for getting every dollar that he can.  Taking a pay cut to win a championship is for guys 30+ who have already made huge piles of money, not 25 year olds who were 5th round picks.

That's the way I see it.   But I realize we are Bengals fans and in our minds anyone who leaves this speeding success train for any reason is an absolute fool at best, and a detestable enemy at worst.  

On a lighter note, I used to work for a baseball team (in a position where I had no power to change anything, mind you) and more than 0 people told me IF they were in charge they'd only pay players the league minimum to play there. See, that way you KNOW the guys on the team REALLY want to be there. Oy, everyone is a GM!
Reply/Quote
Saying he wants $7 million is simply positioning himself for negotiations. Ask for $4 million, you'll likely get $2.5 - 3 million. Ask for $7 million, you'll likely end up with around $5 million. Standard operating procedure, nothing more.
Reply/Quote
Cleveland will offer MJ the $7 million and Hue will be happy. Browns need to find a QB in the draft and they will want veteran receivers to help him develop.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The market for WR's is thin this year which will drive up the value for Jones... also look at Jackson and Garcon they are both getting over 8 million and look at their stats both playing for Washington and splitting tds, yards etc. I don;t think 7 million is way over paying Jones especially with the lack of WR's on the market and knowing what you have with Jones over a unknown draft pick.

Couple other names jump out also on overpaid : Maclin 11 million.. Decker is getting 7.2 million, I see Jones for sure in the playing ability of Decker.

I like to see them offer him a 4 year deal in the range of 24 to 28 million and make our WR core solid for the next few years
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 04:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: Saying he wants $7 million is simply positioning himself for negotiations. Ask for $4 million, you'll likely get $2.5 - 3 million. Ask for $7 million, you'll likely end up with around $5 million. Standard operating procedure, nothing more.

That is what I was thinking.

Give him 4 year $25 million.

Reply/Quote
I'm curious. If we don't sign MJ, how likely is it that James Wright would come in and challenge Sanu or a draftee for the #2 spot. I know we've seen very, very little of him but he seemed to have some real talent.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 01:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: His primary targets for TDs were redzone TDs....that mantle got passed to Eifert. 

(02-07-2016, 02:52 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Being the 4th/5th option does change that..

(02-07-2016, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He disappeared the end of the '14 season when he was one of the top 2 healthy options.

I actually like Sanu.  I think he has the ability to play like he did the first half of '14.  But his drop in production is a major concern.

Thank you. Over the last 5 games of 2014, Sanu had 12 targets and 7 catches for 71 yards. So this disappearing act stretches back to when he was inarguably the #2 option. I agree that Sanu is capable of better, it just makes me wonder.

Even being the 4th/5th option this year, for Sanu to have 33 catches and 0 TDs is weak. Markus Wheaton is the 4th option for the Steelers and went 44-749-5. Heyward-Bey was the 6th option for the Steelers and posted similar stats to Sanu.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 05:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm curious. If we don't sign MJ, how likely is it that James Wright would come in and challenge Sanu or a draftee for the #2 spot. I know we've seen very, very little of him but he seemed to have some real talent.

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but damn. We hear the same crap every year about some practice squad/6th-7th WR. 

James Wright is the new Briscoe/Binns/Whalen/etc. If you want to know how his career will play out, look at the careers of those guys.

Having guys like that at the bottom of the depth chart is nice, but being real, that guy is not going to compete for the #2 spot on any team. 

He couldn't even get on the field in college. Sure, Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry were ahead of him, but c'mon. 0 catches as a senior and we're talking about starting him?
Reply/Quote