Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
(02-05-2016, 03:08 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I agree. Paying someone a few million per year to shut down Antonio Brown is completely worth it in my book. And paying someone to take care of Le'veon Bell is worth it as well. Burfict and Jones are the back bone of our defense.

This x2
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
My guess if Megatron retires Detroit could be in the running for Marvin Jones.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 10:36 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: My guess if Megatron retires Detroit could be in the running for Marvin Jones.

Let them pay Marvitron, watch him fail at being a #1, and see how far it sets them back.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 12:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Let them pay Marvitron, watch him fail at being a #1, and see how far it sets them back.

Who cares if Marvin Jones and Detroit fail miserably because of this?  I'm more concerned that our offense might actually take a step back because we haven't exactly been gangbusters in securing a #2 WR.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones as a teams #1 WR?

He has 1 reg season game over 100 yards receiving in the last 4 years.

Pass on MarvinJ....one Marvin is already one too many on the team.
Reply/Quote
Marvin is the only guy that showed up against SD in 2013... just sayin...
Reply/Quote
Did all the "Who needs Marvin Jones?" people feel this way when he was out in 2014 and/or going into 2015? Has this guy been completely expendable this whole time, or just now that we are finding out we might lose him? I'm sensing a lot of preemptive sour grapes on this one.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who cares if Marvin Jones and Detroit fail miserably because of this?  I'm more concerned that our offense might actually take a step back because we haven't exactly been gangbusters in securing a #2 WR.
With AJ on one side, Eifert back, maybe even Kroft and Uzomah up the seams, we'll be able to find a solid #2, or even rely on Sanu, and we won't miss MJ.

I love MJ, but there's no reason to let him dictate a ridiculous contract of 7 million to our team.
(02-09-2016, 04:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did all the "Who needs Marvin Jones?" people feel this way when he was out in 2014 and/or going into 2015?  Has this guy been completely expendable this whole time, or just now that we are finding out we might lose him?  I'm sensing a lot of preemptive sour grapes on this one.

He's not expendable and he's a good player, but he's also not worth 7 million.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 11:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That would be a good pickup if we lost MLJ. Even if he'll be 33 at the start of the season. He's always been productive.

I watched an interview with one of the Texans WR's (Can't remember who?I don't think it was Hopkins but it may hae been.) in the middle of this past season and he was speaking about how Nate Washington had come in and really showed them what it was like to work like a pro. The player was giving big props to Washington saying how he made all of them put in extra time running routes and how he had the QB's stay and work late with the WR's as well.
He's a mature pro with skills, which is something this team can definitely use on all levels.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did all the "Who needs Marvin Jones?" people feel this way when he was out in 2014 and/or going into 2015?  Has this guy been completely expendable this whole time, or just now that we are finding out we might lose him?  I'm sensing a lot of preemptive sour grapes on this one.

People were pretty upset when we gave Maualuga a good chunk of money last year, saying we overpaid. If we didn't have him this year and tried to just roll with a cheap older replacement like AJ Hawk being a full time starter our D would have taken a big step back.

I don't get it. This is what happens when a guy is due for a second contract. They get raises.

How many WRs have we been through that haven't turned in to anything? We have drafted Cobi Hamilton, James Wright, and Mario Alford since taking Sanu and MJ. The cupboard is bare. We have built a successful team retaining our own, and that takes paying them.

I can't believe people are willing to say spend money on Boldin or Washington two old WRs well past their prime. There is a reason Marvin Jones is going to be the #1 WR available in free agency (assuming Alshon gets the tag).  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:55 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I watched an interview with one of the Texans WR's (Can't remember who?I don't think it was Hopkins but it may hae been.) in the middle of this past season and he was speaking about how Nate Washington had come in and really showed them what it was like to work like a pro. The player was giving big props to Washington saying how he made all of them put in extra time running routes and how he had the QB's stay and work late with the WR's as well.
He's a mature pro with skills, which is something this team can definitely use on all levels.

Yea... Dude wasn't even good enough for a dreadful Titans team to keep around last year. He has been in the league 11 years, has 3 seasons that he got more than 700 yards, and is coming off a season where he missed time with a leg injury and multiple hip injuries. And the brilliant idea to replace Marvin Jones is to make this guy our #2 WR. This is asinine.

This is like wanting to sign Laverneas Coles again but this guy was never as good as Laverneas.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I can't believe people are willing to say spend money on Boldin or Washington two old WRs well past their prime. There is a reason Marvin Jones is going to be the #1 WR available in free agency (assuming Alshon gets the tag).  

My thoughts exactly.  It sort of reminds me of when the Raiders didn't see the point in paying Carson Palmer 13 million dollars to play QB and then spent 3 draft picks and 18 million dollars on replacements that started a grand total of 1 game for a loss.  Think of us replacing Housh.  Coles wasn't worth the money, then we signed that guy who got millions to NOT play for us before we got TO who actually did something.

Argh, I just hate to see teams create gaps in their rosters...it's scary!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My thoughts exactly.  It sort of reminds me of when the Raiders didn't see the point in paying Carson Palmer 13 million dollars to play QB and then spent 3 draft picks and 18 million dollars on replacements that started a grand total of 1 game for a loss.  Think of us replacing Housh.  Coles wasn't worth the money, then we signed that guy who got millions to NOT play for us before we got TO who actually did something.

Argh, I just hate to see teams create gaps in their rosters...it's scary!

Exactly!... Anyways with the cap continuing to go up year after year 7 million for a WR will be chump change compared to now. Same as 8 million for a safety like Iloka. Anyways we have nearly 40 million in cap space we have plenty of room to sign those two guys signed, sign Z and Bernard to deals, and if we want to we can sign our old guys back on 1 year deals.  There is no reason  why we can't keep this team together other than cheapness, laziness, and stupidity.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To me the key word is "risk" and yes, it is a bit of a risk to pay or not pay a FA player.  I figure FA's get the big bucks because they are proven commodities and don't cost a draft pick.  We COULD let him walk and hope Wright is good enough to just replace him, or we could draft another WR (can be a high pick which is valuable, or a low pick which is risky if we need him now), or we can hope the above PLUS the idea that Marvin Jones was really only "good" because of Dalton, AJ Green, Eifert, and anyone else who isn't leaving.

It comes down to risk.  I can't say I actually know how close we ever get to the cap, but I feel like every year it comes down to warnings and threats from naysayers who assure those of us who want to sign FA's (ours or external) that we are totally not going to be able to re-sign the 34 players who are totally up to be FA's any second now.

Meh.  Risk is the word.

All very good points, i really hope we can re-sign MLJ now. The Draft is a crap shoot and besides Travis Benjamin
and Rishard Matthews i don't see anyone who could really replace him. We would be taking a step backwards most
likely unless some rookie just plays like a great #2 immediately.

It is a risk. A big one.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 01:43 AM)J24 Wrote: Exactly!... Anyways with the cap continuing to go up year after year 7 million for a WR will be chump change compared to now. Same as 8 million for a safety like Iloka. Anyways we have nearly 40 million in cap space we have plenty of room to sign those two guys signed, sign Z and Bernard to deals, and if we want to we can sign our old guys back on 1 year deals.  There is no reason  why we can't keep this team together other than cheapness, laziness, and stupidity.

I agree qwith most of this.

Sometimes a good player gets overpaid in free agency.  I would have liked to have kept Eric Steinbach, but the Browns just gave him too much money.  So I want us too keep as many players as we can without overpaying anyone.

And sometimes it is not about the money.  i don't think Johnathan Joseph was going to sign with us even if we offered him a lot more than the Texans.  Houston was a hot team on the rise, and we were nose-diving.  And I think Housh left because he wanted to be a 31 WR.

So there are some reasons other than cheapness and/or stupidity.  But I will be upset if we don't spend a lot of that cap space to keep our best players.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea... Dude wasn't even good enough for a dreadful Titans team to keep around last year. He has been in the league 11 years, has 3 seasons that he got more than 700 yards, and is coming off a season where he missed time with a leg injury and multiple hip injuries. And the brilliant idea to replace Marvin Jones is to make this guy our #2 WR. This is asinine.

This is like wanting to sign Laverneas Coles again but this guy was never as good as Laverneas.
 Pretty sure that not a single person posting in this thread wants the team to lose Jones. You can stomp your feet and kick the can all you like but there's a good chance he may leave.

Wts, it is wise to have a contingency plan and it is certainly alright for fans to discuss other possibilities. All I did was relay what was said by DeAndre Hopkins (after pondering back on it I am almost certain that it was Hopkins speaking in the interview) in an interview before a Thursday night match up.

I highly doubt that we do but we could lose both in a year that FA WR's will be coveted and overpaid.

The team may end up double dipping at WR in the draft like they did 4 years ago with Sanu and Jones. If they do they will surely bring in a solid and cost efficient veteran to fill a need and help the youngins along. We can always resign Tate.... LMAO

What some must realize is we stand to lose 3 long time players at the WR position in the same off season. I doubt we lose all three but there is a possibility. The team is gonna need to sign a couple of guys at the WR spot. Maybe Kumerow steps up from the PS.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 05:09 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  Pretty sure that not a single person posting in this thread wants the team to lose Jones. You can stomp your feet and kick the can all you like but there's a good chance he may leave.

Wts, it is wise to have a contingency plan and it is certainly alright for fans to discuss other possibilities. All I did was relay what was said by DeAndre Hopkins (after pondering back on it I am almost certain that it was Hopkins speaking in the interview) in an interview before a Thursday night match up.

I highly doubt that we do but we could lose both in a year that FA WR's will be coveted and overpaid.

The team may end up double dipping at WR in the draft like they did 4 years ago with Sanu and Jones. If they do they will surely bring in a solid and cost efficient veteran to fill a need and help the youngins along. We can always resign Tate.... LMAO

What some must realize is we stand to lose 3 long time players at the WR position in the same off season. I doubt we lose all three but there is a possibility. The team is gonna need to sign a couple of guys at the WR spot. Maybe Kumerow steps up from the PS.

Thats fine and dandy. Im just saying if we lose Jones. We should aim a little higher than a replacement nearing the end of his career who was never anything but mediocre and is coming off multiple injuries. 

Gotta say it caught me by surprise when Hobson snuck it in to one of his recent articles that James Wright is coming off micro fracture surgery. That destroyed any kind of expectations i had for him.

Hopefully Alford and/or Kumerow give us something , anything.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Thats fine and dandy. Im just saying if we lose Jones. We should aim a little higher than a replacement nearing the end of his career who was never anything but mediocre and is coming off multiple injuries. 

Gotta say it caught me by surprise when Hobson snuck it in to one of his recent articles that James Wright is coming off micro fracture surgery. That destroyed any kind of expectations i had for him.

We all have a maximum value at our jobs, that is reality. Jones value is somewhere between a number on receiver and a solid number 2, not a #1 as he has not come class to putting up number one numbers. I like him, I think most on here like him, but the question is what is his true value? The Bengals recent success has been great drafting and determining the right value for players whose contract is up. I see him for us no more than 4.5 million a year for 3 or 4 years, but other teams may think 6 to 7 million. That is the dilemma for our FO to face and likely they would pass if someone offers him 2 million a year (2 players) more than they have him valued.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We all have a maximum value at our jobs, that is reality. Jones value is somewhere between a number on receiver and a solid number 2, not a #1 as he has not come class to putting up number one numbers. I like him, I think most on here like him, but the question is what is his true value? The Bengals recent success has been great drafting and determining the right value for players whose contract is up. I see him for us no more than 4.5 million a year for 3 or 4 years, but other teams may think 6 to 7 million. That is the dilemma for our FO to face and likely they would pass if someone offers him 2 million a year (2 players) more than they have him valued.

We might not know his true value until we see what we spend (picks and pay) on his replacement(s) and how that works out for us.  I really don't see us getting a decent #2 WR for 4.5 million unless it's some FA on his last legs, and if we replace him through the draft that is another pick we aren't using on a position of actual need in 2015.

Life...is tricky.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 08:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Thats fine and dandy. Im just saying if we lose Jones. We should aim a little higher than a replacement nearing the end of his career who was never anything but mediocre and is coming off multiple injuries. 

Roddy White is likely to be a cap casualty.  He's got the physical skills, experience, and plenty of miles left in him.  And he should be in the Bengals price range.  (at least from a feasibility point of view)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote