Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
(02-15-2016, 04:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Roddy White is likely to be a cap casualty.  He's got the physical skills, experience, and plenty of miles left in him.  And he should be in the Bengals price range.  (at least from a feasibility point of view)

Roddy white is 34 and washed up.  Last year was the first time in three years that he had played a full season and he put up the worst numbers since his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Jones is headed out the door, so I choose to become irrationally excited about the 5th round pick we use to replace him, the washed-up FA we pick to replace him, and/or the schlub 16-deep on our bench that we're going to project to break out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 05:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have a feeling Jones is headed out the door, so I choose to become irrationally excited about the 5th round pick we use to replace him, the washed-up FA we pick to replace him, and/or the schlub 16-deep on our bench that we're going to project to break out.

We will sign Coles back and everything will be fine.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 05:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree qwith most of this.

Sometimes a good player gets overpaid in free agency.  I would have liked to have kept Eric Steinbach, but the Browns just gave him too much money.  So I want us too keep as many players as we can without overpaying anyone.

And sometimes it is not about the money.  i don't think Johnathan Joseph was going to sign with us even if we offered him a lot more than the Texans.  Houston was a hot team on the rise, and we were nose-diving.  And I think Housh left because he wanted to be a 31 WR.

So there are some reasons other than cheapness and/or stupidity.  But I will be upset if we don't spend a lot of that cap space to keep our best players.
I would have liked to see us to sign Steinbach instead of Anderson, Joseph should have been franchised that year, and I agree with you on Housh he just wanted to be #1 Wr. Although that is another thing about free agency is that these players forget that they have it good were they are at.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 03:32 AM)J24 Wrote: I would have liked to see us to sign Steinbach instead of Anderson, Joseph should have been franchised that year, and I agree with you on Housh he just wanted to be #1 Wr. Although that is another thing about free agency is that these players forget that they have it good were they are at.

Agreed but you also have to look at it and realize that their agents are pimping players up to themselves and telling them that they can get big money if they leave and sign somewhere else.  

In a case like Marvin's, it may not even be this contract, but his agent could be saying "you'll never put up big numbers with AJ there, so you'll never get a big payday unless you go somewhere else," which just goes back to what you said about not realizing how great they have it.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 09:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Agreed but you also have to look at it and realize that their agents are pimping players up to themselves and telling them that they can get big money if they leave and sign somewhere else.  

In a case like Marvin's, it may not even be this contract, but his agent could be saying "you'll never put up big numbers with AJ there, so you'll never get a big payday unless you go somewhere else," which just goes back to what you said about not realizing how great they have it.

Good point, Brad. You never know what agents are whispering in these players' ears. Honestly, I'm starting to think Marvin is as good as gone. 

First off, he's 100% a California guy. Born in LA, went to Cal. He'll probably want to go closer to home. Second, he seems to prioritize money and role over winning, based on his comments thus far. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 09:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Agreed but you also have to look at it and realize that their agents are pimping players up to themselves and telling them that they can get big money if they leave and sign somewhere else.  

And you can't really blame players for thinking this way.  I know people who have left regular "real world" jobs because they felt there was not enough opportunity for advancement.

I remember when we had Anthony Collins on the bench as a back up OT and really needed a guard.  Apparently Collins was not tried at OG because he said he didn't want to play there even if it meant a chance at starting over sitting the bench.  In the end it worked out for him because he ended up getting paid like an OT in free agency.

As fans we sometimes forget that most of these guys just end up a Bengal because we drafted them.  They are employees, not life long fans.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 12:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, Brad. You never know what agents are whispering in these players' ears. Honestly, I'm starting to think Marvin is as good as gone. 

First off, he's 100% a California guy. Born in LA, went to Cal. He'll probably want to go closer to home. Second, he seems to prioritize money and role over winning, based on his comments thus far. 

I've been thinking that the Rams could be a dark horse for his services since the relocation was announced.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I've been thinking that the Rams could be a dark horse for his services since the relocation was announced.

It'd be a great fit. He'd be home and the Rams desperately need WR help.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you can't really blame players for thinking this way.  I know people who have left regular "real world" jobs because they felt there was not enough opportunity for advancement.

I remember when we had Anthony Collins on the bench as a back up OT and really needed a guard.  Apparently Collins was not tried at OG because he said he didn't want to play there even if it meant a chance at starting over sitting the bench.  In the end it worked out for him because he ended up getting paid like an OT in free agency.

As fans we sometimes forget that most of these guys just end up a Bengal because we drafted them.  They are employees, not life long fans.

I think you hit it on the head.  We must remember that this is a business.  Winning is important, but what is more important when you retire?  Having been on a winning team, or an extra $7-10 million in the bank?  You probably have better stories from a winning team, but that money means that you and your family should be set for life.

The "lifespan" of an NFL player is very short.  These guys have to make the most of the opportunity while it exists and no one should blame them for doing so.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It'd be a great fit. He'd be home and the Rams desperately need WR help.

I think the Rams and Browns are the reason Marvin wants to test the FA waters. The Rams give him a chance to play in his hometown. The Brown present his best chance at his big payday.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think you hit it on the head.  We must remember that this is a business.  Winning is important, but what is more important when you retire?  Having been on a winning team, or an extra $7-10 million in the bank?  You probably have better stories from a winning team, but that money means that you and your family should be set for life.

The "lifespan" of an NFL player is very short.  These guys have to make the most of the opportunity while it exists and no one should blame them for doing so.

I apologize if I have said this earlier in this same thread, but Jones made peanuts on his rookie deal and after this next contract is over there is a good chance he will be too old or injured to get another big payday.  He will probably make more money on this one contract than he will inthe rest of his life combined.

Home town discounts or winner discounts are for older players that have already made tons of money, not 5th round picks negotiating their second contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I've been thinking that the Rams could be a dark horse for his services since the relocation was announced.

Chargers, for the same reason, and more. California team, but also he was roommates with Keenan Allen in college.

Chargers also have both their TEs hitting FA (probably the two best TEs this FA period), so they are in need of receiving threats.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chargers, for the same reason, and more. California team, but also he was roommates with Keenan Allen in college.

Chargers also have both their TEs hitting FA (probably the two best TEs this FA period), so they are in need of receiving threats.

Chargers have an elite QB.  If I was a free agent WR I would give that a lot of weight.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think you hit it on the head.  We must remember that this is a business.  Winning is important, but what is more important when you retire?  Having been on a winning team, or an extra $7-10 million in the bank?  You probably have better stories from a winning team, but that money means that you and your family should be set for life.

I'm not an NFL player so I don't know this for sure, but do you think the Cincinnati Bengals are brought up when players think of "taking less to go to a team that can get me a ring?"  Serious question.  Making the playoffs 5 years in a row and 6 of the last 7 years is great and all, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals weren't mentioned as one of those championship destinations. Nor do I think Marvin Jones going to the LA Rams would be met with cries of "Well, there goes his chance to win a ring!" etc. Just saying. Maybe things change soon, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 09:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not an NFL player so I don't know this for sure, but do you think the Cincinnati Bengals are brought up when players think of "taking less to go to a team that can get me a ring?"  Serious question.  Making the playoffs 5 years in a row and 6 of the last 7 years is great and all, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals weren't mentioned as one of those championship destinations. Nor do I think Marvin Jones going to the LA Rams would be met with cries of "Well, there goes his chance to win a ring!" etc. Just saying. Maybe things change soon, though.

I can't see us being a destination in that repect. Yeah, we win in the regular season, but if you've made your bank and now you want a ring before you hang up your cleats, 0-7 in thr playoffs can't be a selling point.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 06:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Chargers have an elite QB.  If I was a free agent WR I would give that a lot of weight.

Could be a good fit for MJ.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 05:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It'd be a great fit. He'd be home and the Rams desperately need WR help.

This may be a possibility as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 09:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not an NFL player so I don't know this for sure, but do you think the Cincinnati Bengals are brought up when players think of "taking less to go to a team that can get me a ring?"  Serious question.  Making the playoffs 5 years in a row and 6 of the last 7 years is great and all, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals weren't mentioned as one of those championship destinations.  Nor do I think Marvin Jones going to the LA Rams would be met with cries of "Well, there goes his chance to win a ring!" etc.  Just saying.  Maybe things change soon, though.

No, I don't see Cincinnati as being a preferred destination to win a ring.  I apologize if it appeared that way.  When I said "winning" I meant teams that consistently make the playoffs versus a team that consistently wins 5-6 games per year (I'm thinking Cleveland because they keep getting brought up as a possible destination).

I've said it in another thread, but will agree with Fred here.  This contract is his best chance at truly getting paid, truly taking care of his future.  He turns 26 next month, which means he will be past 30 when this contract expires.  And that is assuming he stays healthy and is able to finish it.  Take the money while you can get it.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:09 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I can't see us being a destination in that repect.  Yeah, we win in the regular season, but if you've made your bank and now you want a ring before you hang up your cleats, 0-7 in thr playoffs can't be a selling point.

OrlandoBengal said nothing about winning a super bowl though.

Honestly I've been a fan long enough to see the mood of players on crap teams and it's not good. Losing sucks and it's definitely hard on the players. So there's something to be said for being on a "winning team", whether or not the Bengals are viewed as Super Bowl contenders.

Money trumps everything though, for most players. If a bad team offers 7 million per and more guaranteed money (the reason we lost JJo) and the Bengals offer 5-6 and less guaranteed, say bye to MLJ.
Reply/Quote