Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Per Report, Marvin Jones wants $7m+ per year!
I was concerned that we may lose both of them and now it looks like we may. I tried to soften the blow to some by giving them a heads up! Love to see the FO put Boldin in stripes and draft a couple of flyers.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:26 PM)milksheikh Wrote: From looks of it, we could lose both wide receivers...

Yikes..

Some good replacements are available in FA. (2015 stats in paranthesis)

Alshon Jeffery (54-807-4 in 9 games) having Green, Jeffery and Eifert would almost be unfair
Rishard Matthews (43-662-4) *11 games
Travis Benjamin (68-996-5)
Jermaine Kearse (49-685-5)
Reuben Randle (57-797-8) *worth mentioning that he's 6'4" 
Anquan Boldin (69-789-4)
Riley Cooper (21-327-2) *835 yards and 8 scores in '13
Percy Harvin (19-218-1) *5 games
Derrius Heyward-Bey (21-314-2) 
Rod Streater - hasn't played the last 2 years, but went 60-888-4 in '13
Nate Washington (47-658-4)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 10:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree with this 100% unless the money is outrageously different.   

But will Bengals seek FA impact players ?

If we loose both WRs you would think they would have to.

But, probably not.  The few times in recent years that the bengals have spent above average money on a free agent they have usually ended up signing a flop of a WR (Coles, Bryant).  Even cheap Denarious Moore was a flop last season.

We just don't do well signing free agent WRs.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some good replacements are available in FA. (2015 stats in paranthesis)

Alshon Jeffery (54-807-4 in 9 games) having Green, Jeffery and Eifert would almost be unfair
Anquan Boldin (69-789-4)
Rod Streater - hasn't played the last 2 years, but went 60-888-4

Rishard Matthews would be a low key steal if he gets into FA, I heard Miami is trying hard to keep him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some good replacements are available in FA. (2015 stats in paranthesis)

Anquan Boldin (69-789-4)

I would love to land Matthews, Benjamin, Kearse, or Randle, but I'm sure they'll impact our future comp picks and we don't want that. Rolleyes
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would love to land Matthews, Benjamin, Kearse, or Randle, but I'm sure they'll impact our future comp picks and we don't want that. Rolleyes

Same, I thought all those receivers played well this year and could replace MJ.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would love to land Matthews, Benjamin, Kearse, or Randle, but I'm sure they'll impact our future comp picks and we don't want that. Rolleyes

Agreed. Those are the 4 I was looking at as well. I'd break it down like this:

Awesome, but stop dreaming:
Alshon Jeffery 

semi-realistic:
Rishard Matthews (43-662-4) 
Reuben Randle (57-797-8) 
Anquan Boldin (69-789-4)

Bengals-realistic:
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was just explaining to you that the original question in that chain of replies was started by Orlando, not Nately.

Nately just kind of twisted what Orlando said. Whatever though, I won't respond again. 

But, it didn't need explaining. I understood who said what and when. I was merely follwing the evolution of the question as proposed by Natey. It happends all the time on threads here. Someone says "Hey, what about A?" Someone responds, "Yeah, but what about B?" And then someone responds to that. It didn't change the meaning of A, the conversation just changed. It's the evolution of a conversation, nothing more nefarious than that.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 11:01 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: But, it didn't need explaining.  I understood who said what and when.  I was merely follwing the evolution of the question as proposed by Natey.  It happends all the time on threads here.  Someone says "Hey, what about A?"  Someone responds, "Yeah, but what about B?"  And then someone responds to that.  It didn't change the meaning of A, the conversation just changed.  It's the evolution of a conversation, nothing more nefarious than that.

So what you are saying is that Hue, Sanu, Jones, and McCarron are all going to go to the Browns so they can win a ring there, eh? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 02:03 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So what you are saying is that Hue, Sanu, Jones, and McCarron are all going to go to the Browns so they can win a ring there, eh? Ninja

Damn, I didn't even connect those dots!

[Image: Facepalm%20Girl.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. Those are the 4 I was looking at as well. I'd break it down like this:

Awesome, but stop dreaming:
Alshon Jeffery 

semi-realistic:
Rishard Matthews (43-662-4) 
Reuben Randle (57-797-8) 
Anquan Boldin (69-789-4)

Bengals-realistic:

Just imagine Geoff Hobson's article on Darrius Heyward-Bey. Justify making him the #3/#4 target for Andy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
There are other guys with the potential to be as big of an impact on the game as MLJ is that we could sign at a fraction of that. One guy I'd love to scoop up is Brian Quick formerly of the Rams. Different type of receiver but could flourish here as a #2.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 05:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Just imagine Geoff Hobson's article on Darrius Heyward-Bey. Justify making him the #3/#4 target for Andy.

I can see the headline now...

Derius a Heyward in the Bey (of Bengal)
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 05:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can see the headline now...

Derius a Heyward in the Bey (of Bengal)

Cripes, it's not even a real headline and it depresses me because it could be a real headline.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 01:39 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: There are other guys with the potential to be as big of an impact on the game as MLJ is that we could sign at a fraction of that. One guy I'd love to scoop up is Brian Quick formerly of the Rams. Different type of receiver but could flourish here as a #2.

Possibly.  I'm just a bit worried we are going to pass on a proven #2 at 5-7 million and then sign some unproven guy who doesn't know our system for 3-5 million and hope for the best.
Reply/Quote
One thing to keep in mind regarding the other starting WR is that they may opt to run more balanced sets with Hewitt or Kroft and especially no-huddle with Gio. So if they're going to throw any "starter" money at someone if they lose Jones, it would be nice if they had above average ability to stretch the field, have at least average hands and feet and not get knocked around as a blocker.

I like the idea of getting a physical vet like Boldin or a youngster that can extend the field, but if they're weak at the other extreme it could cause a problem. I like AJ being able to attack any part of the field at any time, same goes for Eifert. I feel like if you put a slow #2 out there for 4 to 5 back to back plays running no-huddle the D would key up on the other two threats down field with others being short options. Same goes for a "deep threat" that may have issues getting jammed, not setting a block and not gain Andy's trust as a guy you can keep out there running no-huddle. I may be in the minority, but with Jones likely to get his payday elsewhere I'd rather have a somewhat balanced and average WR as your #2. A Boldin type for the right price on top of that would be great though.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 11:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Possibly.  I'm just a bit worried we are going to pass on a proven #2 at 5-7 million and then sign some unproven guy who doesn't know our system for 3-5 million and hope for the best.

This.

People act lioke we can just plug in any player at #2 WR and not miss a beat.  I don't think it will be that simple.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

People act lioke we can just plug in any player at #2 WR and not miss a beat.  I don't think it will be that simple.

I don't either. I think we should give every effort to keep MLJ. If we happen to lose him, we need to address the loss seriously.

Signing Brian Quick doesn't qualify as seriously, IMO. Quick couldn't even get on the field last year for a Rams team in desperate need of WRs.
Reply/Quote
I want to keep Jone, but it's not like the team hasn't been dealing with not so great #2s during the last 5 years. Really last season was the only season where we had a solid #2 WR all year during the last 5 years. It's nice having Green and Eifert, but you defiantly want someone like Jones around just in case one of them get's hurt. If we do lose Jones at least there are a few WRs in the upcoming draft that have a lot of potential (Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, ect).
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 04:40 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I want to keep Jone, but it's not like the team hasn't been dealing with not so great #2s during the last 5 years. Really last season was the only season where we had a solid #2 WR all year during the last 5 years. It's nice having Green and Eifert, but you defiantly want someone like Jones around just in case one of them get's hurt. If we do lose Jones at least there are a few WRs in the upcoming draft that have a lot of potential (Josh Doctson, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, ect).

I'm not saying Jones is the best #2 ever, but it might be noteworthy that last season was the only one where we had stability outside of Green and Dalton looked pretty awesome.  I guess seeing how well the passing game worked last year makes me more interested in keeping everything consistent than saving Mike Brown 2 million bucks.
Reply/Quote