Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BJ Finney released
(03-05-2021, 10:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How was the bolded part not true? According to your own link, he had a base salary of $2.5m in 2020, and a $2.5m guaranteed salary in 2020.

I looked at it wrong.
I read $2.5 mill guaranteed and $3.5 mill cap number, so I thought there would have been $1 mill differential.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2021, 03:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I honestly can't remember if we're still rolling with the notion that ZT doesn't win much but they players are all-in on him.

All I know is Taylor better right this ship soon or we might see more Dunlap's jumping ship.

Always thought Dunlap was a standup dude before last year. But what he did was inexcusable IMO.

Just do your job well and you won't get benched. Dunlap was overpursuing and losing us games doing so.

I don't know how many times early in the year he would just go out so wide that he was just a non factor.

If I saw my End doing this all the time I would be coaching him discipline and if he didn't get it, bench him like Taylor did.

I hate losing but when a player is part of the reason you need to move on.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Always thought Dunlap was a standup dude before last year. But what he did was inexcusable IMO.

Just do your job well and you won't get benched. Dunlap was overpursuing and losing us games doing so.

Dunlap was not the problem.  He was not "losing us games".

Dunlap has been one of the most consistently productive DEs in the league under 2 winning head coaches who go to the playoffs on a regular basis (Lewis, Carroll) the only time he has been benched was by a head coach with one of the worst winning percentages in the history of the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap was not the problem.  He was not "losing us games".

Dunlap has been one of the most consistently productive DEs in the league under 2 winning head coaches who go to the playoffs on a regular basis (Lewis, Carroll) the only time he has been benched was by a head coach with one of the worst winning percentages in the history of the league.

It's a delicate situation. We want players who are obsessed with winning but we also want them to be ok with playing for coaches and an owner who don't win much.  Tricky stuff, but Mike Browns great granddaughter will explain it to you. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap was not the problem.  He was not "losing us games".

Again, this is where listening to an array of podcasts centralized around the Bengals helps. Multiple sources and guests on these podcasts (Lapham, Hoard, Locked On, Mo Egger, PFF, etc.) discussed why Dunlap didn't work out. These coaches were not taking his "Me first" attitude.

Dunlap was leaving edge containment assignments in search of personal sacks. This made the run D suffer because it opened a gap that wasn't designed to be there as well as pulled players out of position to overcompensate. Dunlap became a selfish player who chased sacks more than actually playing as a 3 down D end.

The Bengals coaches changed his role, since he refused to play the DE role within the scope of the D, and Carlos flipped out, had a tantrum, and demanded to leave.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 02:37 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Again, this is where listening to an array of podcasts centralized around the Bengals helps. Multiple sources and guests on these podcasts (Lapham, Hoard, Locked On, Mo Egger, PFF, etc.) discussed why Dunlap didn't work out. These coaches were not taking his "Me first" attitude.

Dunlap was leaving edge containment assignments in search of personal sacks. This made the run D suffer because it opened a gap that wasn't designed to be there as well as pulled players out of position to overcompensate. Dunlap became a selfish player who chased sacks more than actually playing as a 3 down D end.

The Bengals coaches changed his role, since he refused to play the DE role within the scope of the D, and Carlos flipped out, had a tantrum, and demanded to leave.

Thank you PDub, this is what I was trying to say.

Losing containment all the time is terrible Defense. I don't know why Fred doesn't understand this...

We all know Dunlap was as disruptive of an End as there was in the league at one time but he changed last year and wasn't
playing for the team, he became selfish, undisciplined, over pursued, chased sacks and made the D suffer as you say.
Reply/Quote
Seattle traded for a player that makes a defense worse?

Related....Browns fans saying how much worse OBJ made the team while thinking they could get a nice return for a trade. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's always one step forward and 2 steps back with this franchise. He follow up the excitement of signing Jalean Davis with the release of BJ Finney.

As to Dunlap...he can kick rocks. We would have cut him this off season to free up the $10 Mil and Seattle will most likely cut him to clear up the $14 Mil.
https://www.nfl.com/news/roundup-seahawks-releasing-carlos-dunlap-bobby-massie-transactions
Quote:Carlos Dunlap's brief stay in Seattle is over.

The Seahawks have informed the pass rusher they are releasing him, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. The move will save Seattle a significant chunk of cap space amounting to $14 million.

Carlos Dunlap had one of his best seasons in 2019 under Zac. Zac didn't change in 2020, Carlos did. Guess what Carlos was doing in Seattle.....Coming off the bench. The dude cried himself out of a situation he was unhappy with. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/roundup-seahawks-releasing-carlos-dunlap-bobby-massie-transactions

Carlos Dunlap had arguably his dest season in 2019 under Zac. Zac didn't change in 2020, Carlos did. Guess what Carlos was doing in Seattle.....Coming off the bench. The dude cried himself out of a situation he was unhappy with. 

Bfine knows whats up.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 04:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seattle traded for a player that makes a defense worse?

Related....Browns fans saying how much worse OBJ made the team while thinking they could get a nice return for a trade. 

So...it's possible that Seattle had him doing what he wanted to do and the Bengals didn't, that's why it worked out?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So...it's possible that Seattle had him doing what he wanted to do and the Bengals didn't, that's why it worked out?

Maybe but they'll cut him so we can add that to our victory pile.  It's just a bit fatiguing rooting against a guy who didn't like a coach or coaches who have a 75% chance of being fired soon and being completely hated by us.

I'm a bitter jerk I'll admit, but geez other fanbases get to win super bowls and we are constantly trying to win pissing contests with former players we once loved because they replaced former players we hated.  The cycle....
Reply/Quote
Well with him being released the trade looks a little less crappy as we walk away with a pick and both players are cut.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So...it's possible that Seattle had him doing what he wanted to do and the Bengals didn't, that's why it worked out?

Because everybody knows that the best way to run a team is do what the player wants
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 10:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: but geez other fanbases get to win super bowls 

Man...if you only knew how many times i've ranted to my wife, things like "Tom Brady gets to win his 7th Super Bowl and i can't even get to watch ONE stinking playoff win in THIRTY YEARS??!!", etc. 

But yeah, i get the sentiment of that, and the "bitter jerk" part hit close to home too. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Because everybody knows that the best way to run a team is do what the player wants

Def not. But if they acquired him with the main purpose to be, primarily rush the passer and the Bengals wanted him to be a more complete DE, then it's going to look like he played much better there than here. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 10:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe but they'll cut him so we can add that to our victory pile.  It's just a bit fatiguing rooting against a guy who didn't like a coach or coaches who have a 75% chance of being fired soon and being completely hated by us.

I'm a bitter jerk I'll admit, but geez other fanbases get to win super bowls and we are constantly trying to win pissing contests with former players we once loved because they replaced former players we hated.  The cycle....

But wait! What about our vaunted Pissing contest ring of honor? We have more of those guys than legitimate ring of honor contenders.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Man...if you only knew how many times i've ranted to my wife, things like "Tom Brady gets to win his 7th Super Bowl and i can't even get to watch ONE stinking playoff win in THIRTY YEARS??!!", etc. 

But yeah, i get the sentiment of that, and the "bitter jerk" part hit close to home too. Big Grin

Every TD scored in that SB was done so by a jerk of a player who wasn't happy with his prior team, too.  It was a banner day for people who walked away from situations they didn't want to be in. 

For 15 years or so it seems like any time a talented player gets upset he get sent to Tom Brady's team for next to nothing.
Reply/Quote