Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired?
Nobody will ever convince me that Paul Alexander is anything more than a stubborn, self-righteous idiot. Good riddance Whatever and please never bring this blowhard in for an interview ever again
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:44 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Nobody will ever convince me that Paul Alexander is anything more than a stubborn, self-righteous idiot. Good riddance Whatever and please never bring this blowhard in for an interview ever again

Well he's going down the Jordan Palmer route of training A LOT of draft prospects, so I think we're going to hear from him year after year after year after year after year......
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:17 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Well he's going down the Jordan Palmer route of training A LOT of draft prospects, so I think we're going to hear from him year after year after year after year after year......

Great. Can’t wait. Hoping we get to hear more about how great Ogbuehi, Fisher, Bodine, Ghiacuc, Matt St. Louis and Dennis Roland are/were Whatever
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:34 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Maybe I'd rather "just suck as a fan of Football" than to get excited about the opinion of the guy who saw nothing wrong with trotting Bodine out there, effectively squandering the elite play of others on that line. If he were of championship caliber, he wouldn't have been jettisoned from the league in two seconds flat without the Brown nepotism factor. 

See that's the thing.

Maybe talent evaluators and coaches can get better at their jobs too.

I think it is obvious enough that our front office recognized our bad OL decisions.

2016 seemed to be the year of Tobin getting the spotlight and possible becoming "GM." Since 2016 here is the OL we have drafted

Christian Westerman
G
Arizona State

J.J. Dielman
C
Utah

Billy Price
C
Ohio State

Rod Taylor
G
Mississippi

Jonah Williams
T
Alabama

Michael Jordan
C
Ohio State

Hakeem Adeniji
T
Kansas

Fingers crossed a lot of lessons have been learned and our "GM" has grown from past mistakes and learned how to better evaluate OL talent.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can't argue with the Bengals track record of failure.

You also can't argue that there seems to be a plan over the last couple years that just hasn't come to fruition yet. But you can definitely see a plan.

It's definitely refreshing to see a plan, let's hope it pans out.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 02:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: See that's the thing.

I think it is obvious enough that our front office recognized our bad OL decisions.

2016 seemed to be the year of Tobin getting the spotlight and possible becoming "GM." Since 2016 here is the OL we have drafted

Christian Westerman
G
Arizona State

J.J. Dielman
C
Utah

Billy Price
C
Ohio State

Rod Taylor
G
Mississippi

Jonah Williams
T
Alabama

Michael Jordan
C
Ohio State

Hakeem Adeniji
T
Kansas

Fingers crossed a lot of lessons have been learned and our "GM" has grown from past mistakes and learned how to better evaluate OL talent.

If you look at our drafts in general since 2016, If that's when Tobin because the "GM" then the dude should be fired by now because outside of the last 2 drafts his previous drafts are what set this team up for failure. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can't argue with the Bengals track record of failure.

You also can't argue that there seems to be a plan over the last couple years that just hasn't come to fruition yet. But you can definitely see a plan.

If you’ve got a problem no one else can help and if you can find them maybe you can hire . . .

[Image: fc2e038b90b95038f0f03d659e208d25.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 02:35 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: See that's the thing.

Christian Westerman
G
Arizona State

J.J. Dielman
C
Utah

Billy Price
C
Ohio State

Rod Taylor
G
Mississippi

Jonah Williams
T
Alabama

Michael Jordan
C
Ohio State

Hakeem Adeniji
T
Kansas

[Image: that-is-one-big-pile-of-.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:57 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Willie Anderson and Andrew Whitworth were easy picks man, they were like the highest rated tackles when they came out of college.

Andrew Whitworth was a second RD pick it was far from a sure thing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 10:44 AM)J24 Wrote: Andrew Whitworth was a second RD pick it was far from a sure thing.

I am pretty sure he was the top rated tackle left on the board when we drafted, it was a pretty obvious choice.  But yes it was a nice pick. Actually that entire draft was probably one of the best Bengals drafts ever. Too bad we didn't resign Johnathan Joseph, that was a big mistake. I think he was responsible for knocking us out of 2 playoff games with Houston.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:46 AM)TJ528 Wrote: If you look at our drafts in general since 2016, If that's when Tobin because the "GM" then the dude should be fired by now because outside of the last 2 drafts his previous drafts are what set this team up for failure. 

Any other team he certainly would have been fired by now. Hopefully he has gotten better with experience. The last two drafts look promising. Maybe Tobin and Zac are finally on the same page and start hitting.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:58 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You can begin to make it out to be more than it is but it just don't make it so. Science is not on your side with this one. Sorry you experienced it but I will venture a guess that you did not experience the same level of treatment for it that these guys are getting today. Below are the facts:

https://www.brainspinesurgery.com/j-j-watt-and-how-herniated-discs-can-reoccur/#:~:text=in%20the%20spine.-,J.J.,surgery%20for%20a%20herniated%20disc.&text=That%20number%20has%20assuredly%20increased%20over%20the%20past%20several%20years.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=198616

You also still have not answered which WR in this class was going to help this team even remotely as close to the impact that Chase will have.

I can tell you without a doubt, that the procedure that Jordan had is the same level of care he will get at nearly and other spine surgeon in the country.

Everyone does them and they are among the most reproducible procedures around,
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:57 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Willie Anderson and Andrew Whitworth were easy picks man, they were like the highest rated tackles when they came out of college.

Well, not true.

Willie was behind Jonathan Ogden and Whitworth was a late 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 10:53 AM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I am pretty sure he was the top rated tackle left on the board when we drafted, it was a pretty obvious choice.  But yes it was a nice pick.  Actually that entire draft was probably one of the best Bengals drafts ever.  Too bad we didn't resign Johnathan Joseph, that was a big mistake.  I think he was responsible for knocking us out of 2 playoff games with Houston.

He was generally ranked around the 6th to 8th best T and the Bengals took him as the 5th tackle, in the 2nd round. He was far from a "sure thing". 

When he was drafted, do you think fans would have been happy to have the 6th to 8th best T taken as the 5th tackle in the draft, if it had happened this year?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He was generally ranked around the 6th to 8th best T and the Bengals took him as the 5th tackle, in the 2nd round. He was far from a "sure thing". 

When he was drafted, do you think fans would have been happy to have the 6th to 8th best T taken as the 5th tackle in the draft, if it had happened this year?

I was always happy with the Whitworth pick, and the pick was considered a great value at the time.  Also he didn't just have back surgery that is my only issue with the Carman pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:56 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: The second article references the upper spine which probably doesn't result in sciatica so it is not relevant.  The first article talks about JJ Watt who had to repeat the surgery because he didn't fully heal.  Are you saying JJ Watt is the same player he was before he had back issues, the dude was the best defensive player in the NFL maybe all time before his back issues?  I am pretty sure he had to miss the season after his first back surgery btw, which kind of proves my point, he actually had to repeat the surgery.

You are comical. You pick Watt out of the entire article rather than read the entire article for what it is actually stating which it that procedure is very common and the vast majority go back to playing with zero issues. LMAO.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 02:36 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You are comical. You pick Watt out of the entire article rather than read the entire article for what it is actually stating which it that procedure is very common and the vast majority go back to playing with zero issues. LMAO.

Are you talking about the 1st or the 2nd article, nowhere in the first article does it say that most go back to playing with zero issues.  The second article is for upper spine disc injuries which is not the same. Also you have to take into account he is a massive OL, 340lb. That is a lot of stress on your discs without even playing football. Now factor in that he needs to do heavy weight lifting to maintain strength and the beating he will take on his back every practice and game. If you think that his back will hold up good luck with that but I don't like the odds. Give me an example of an OL that played at least 5 years with this injury the only person I can think of is Cedric Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 02:36 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You are comical. You pick Watt out of the entire article rather than read the entire article for what it is actually stating which it that procedure is very common and the vast majority go back to playing with zero issues. LMAO.

Here is a quote from an article I read "One study found that at 3, 6, and 12 months post-surgery, 50%, 72%, and 84% of patients were eligible to return to play, respectively [64]. However, it was found that only 38 to 65% of players who underwent surgical treatment for a lumbar disc herniation were able to return to the same level of play as prior to the injury [65]."

So basically best case scenario he has a 72% chance to play at start of season, and a 65% chance to play as well as he did before the injury. I would consider that an injury risk.

Here is a link to a video discussing Caleb Farley since you seem to think he is low risk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jVe3EvHNY&t=110s this Dr. disagrees.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 06:12 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Here is a quote from an article I read "One study found that at 3, 6, and 12 months post-surgery, 50%, 72%, and 84% of patients were eligible to return to play, respectively [64]. However, it was found that only 38 to 65% of players who underwent surgical treatment for a lumbar disc herniation were able to return to the same level of play as prior to the injury [65]."

So basically best case scenario he has a 72% chance to play at start of season, and a 65% chance to play as well as he did before the injury.  I would consider that an injury risk.

Here is a link to a video discussing Caleb Farley since you seem to think he is low risk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jVe3EvHNY&t=110s this Dr. disagrees.

People on here don't want to read or hear that stuff.  They have rationalized that Carman is cured, and his chronic back problem will be a non-issue.  You'll see, he'll be a superstar from day 1.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People on here don't want to read or hear that stuff.  They have rationalized that Carman is cured, and his chronic back problem will be a non-issue.  You'll see, he'll be a superstar from day 1.   Ninja

I'll have to look into that study.  It would be interesting to see the ages of the players involved in each group.
Reply/Quote