Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired?
(05-05-2021, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People on here don't want to read or hear that stuff.  They have rationalized that Carman is cured, and his chronic back problem will be a non-issue.  You'll see, he'll be a superstar from day 1.   Ninja

I'm sure the team did their due diligence on Jackson Carman's back injury by following up with his surgeon and getting the complete information from his medical combine. They were comfortable enough to take him in the second round with all that information. 

None of us without that information can make an informed decision one way or another. All I do know is he is medically cleared to run football drills.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
doom and gloom!! omg...doom and gloom!!!11!11!1!!!111!1!!!111111!!!!!!!!1!!1!1!!!1!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!oneeleven

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 10:44 AM)J24 Wrote: Andrew Whitworth was a second RD pick it was far from a sure thing.

So you’re saying Jackson Carman is a second round pick and far from a sure thing?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm sure the team did their due diligence on Jackson Carman's back injury by following up with his surgeon and getting the complete information from his medical combine. They were comfortable enough to take him in the second round with all that information. 

None of us without that information can make an informed decision one way or another. All I do know is he is medically cleared to run football drills.

This is what scares me the most

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Paul Alexander is now a well respected personal offensive line coach that works with the top NFL prospects including Penei Sewell. It's very likely every NFL Team in the league called him up and asked him about the players he worked with...

The guys on moving the chains on serious radio love Paul A.  Thinks he is the shiz nit of O Line coaches
Reply/Quote
Whitworth may not have been a lock but he had a very nice resume and body for OL and was a great pic.

He had 52 career starts in SEC which ranks 2nd all time nationally, so he was very durable.

22 straight games to finish out his college career without giving up a sack, once again SEC, impressive.

Will never forget the first time seeing him in Bengals uniform thinking damn he is big lol.

Miss him and sure wish he could have finished his career in Cincinnati.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm sure the team did their due diligence on Jackson Carman's back injury by following up with his surgeon and getting the complete information from his medical combine. They were comfortable enough to take him in the second round with all that information. 

My point is they shouldn't have been comfortable enough to take someone with a back injury history in the second round, there was no need to take the risk there were plenty of higher-rated OL available before we traded down.  It was a stupid pick and I stand by it.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 10:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Whitworth may not have been a lock but he had a very nice resume and body for OL and was a great pic.

He had 52 career starts in SEC which ranks 2nd all time nationally, so he was very durable.

22 straight games to finish out his college career without giving up a sack, once again SEC, impressive.

Will never forget the first time seeing him in Bengals uniform thinking damn he is big lol.

Miss him and sure wish he could have finished his career in Cincinnati.

I will bet you 10 "Bengals Growl" prayers this guy looks big in a Bengals uniform. Not all high schoolers are as small as he makes them look here. 

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 11:06 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote:  My point is they shouldn't have been comfortable enough to take someone with back injury history in the second round, there was no need to take the risk there were plenty of higher-rated OL available before we traded down.  It was a stupid pick and I stand by it.

That's been my entire point, all along.  Why gamble on a guy with injury and technique issues?  We all saw Joe's knee get wretchedly disfigured last season, why gamble like that?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 11:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's been my entire point, all along.  Why gamble on a guy with injury and technique issues?  We all saw Joe's knee get wretchedly disfigured last season, why gamble like that?

Because he is a giant home grown beast true junior with three years of college football championship playoff experience blocking for a #1 overall pick
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 11:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Because he is a giant home grown beast true junior with three years of college football championship playoff experience blocking for a #1 overall pick

Sounds like good reasons to me I am sold.
Reply/Quote
The Bears traded up for a lineman with medical concerns (hip + maybe more), yet everyone considered it a fantastic pick. We trade back, pick up 2 4th’s, and still get the guy we wanted (who’s supposed to be a top 2-3 OG prospect in this draft) and people are freaking out over a herniated disc that he played through and played well. Imagine how better he’s going to be when he’s 100%...

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bears traded up for a lineman with medical concerns (hip + maybe more), yet everyone considered it a fantastic pick. We trade back, pick up 2 4th’s, and still get the guy we wanted (who’s supposed to be a top 2-3 OG prospect in this draft) and people are freaking out over a herniated disc that he played through and played well. Imagine how better he’s going to be when he’s 100%...

He most likely will never be 100% again ever, back injuries are not like other injuries.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:46 AM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: He most likely will never be 100% again ever, back injuries are not like other injuries.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:17 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Virtually everyone of them ran at their pro days. Who do you wish to know about and I can get you the info. Yet you still have not answered the question. Which receiver that in this draft do you believe would have helped this team more than Ja'Marr Chase.

I was in the camp of draft O line but I refuses to discredit the selection of a player the caliber of Chase. However, if they were going O line I would have preferred Slater at 5 as I witnessed him playing against far more physical fronts than Sewell every imagined facing not to mention holding the 2020 Defensive Rookie of the year in check.

Terrace Marshall, Jr is no slouch and would provide Burrow with a weapon he has existing chemistry with. Marshall is a versatile receiver that can line up at any WR position and can run the entire route tree. Brings good hands, speed, and size.
Reply/Quote

Yep!

And, maybe I missed something, but Carman didn't and doesn't have a "chronic back problem". He had a herniated disk and played the last 5 games with it before getting surgery after the season. That's a minor, common injury for OL guys. It's not as if he was having his spine fused together or has some sort of long term pain or recurring issue.

I don't take exception to anyone disliking a pick, but can the dislike for it please be based on reality? Maybe that's too much to ask on the internet? I mean, Google is literally RIGHT there at people's fingertips.

Carman projects to be an outstanding Guard prospect, which is what the Bengals see him as. BTW, ANY lineman the Bengals were going to draft this year was going to start off at the Guard position. Literally NO ONE, not even Sewell, was going to come in and kick Reiff or Williams inside right off the bat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/primetimesportstalk.com/2021/04/25/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jackson-carman/amp/

^ His one knock in pass pro was outside speed rushers... NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE AT RG. He handled Chase Young perfectly well in 2019. I wonder how much of that assessment was from this year where he played 5 games with a herniated disk?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 08:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Yep!

And, maybe I missed something, but Carman didn't and doesn't have a "chronic back problem". He had a herniated disk and played the last 5 games with it before getting surgery after the season. That's a minor, common injury for OL guys. It's not as if he was having his spine fused together or has some sort of long term pain or recurring issue.

I don't take exception to anyone disliking a pick, but can the dislike for it please be based on reality? Maybe that's too much to ask on the internet? I mean, Google is literally RIGHT there at people's fingertips.

Carman projects to be an outstanding Guard prospect, which is what the Bengals see him as. BTW, ANY lineman the Bengals were going to draft this year was going to start off at the Guard position. Literally NO ONE, not even Sewell, was going to come in and kick Reiff or Williams inside right off the bat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/primetimesportstalk.com/2021/04/25/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jackson-carman/amp/

^ His one knock in pass pro was outside speed rushers... NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE AT RG. He handled Chase Young perfectly well in 2019. I wonder how much of that assessment was from this year where he played 5 games with a herniated disk?

If it is minor and common give me some examples of OL that have had surgery for herniated disc and returned 100% as starters for at least 3 years? Read this article https://www.muirortho.com/orthopedic-blog/2016/october/nfl-lineman-j-j-watt-disc-herniation-jeopardizes/
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bears traded up for a lineman with medical concerns (hip + maybe more), yet everyone considered it a fantastic pick. We trade back, pick up 2 4th’s, and still get the guy we wanted (who’s supposed to be a top 2-3 OG prospect in this draft) and people are freaking out over a herniated disc that he played through and played well. Imagine how better he’s going to be when he’s 100%...

Yeah get back to me in 3 years and let me know how that Bears pick worked out.  I would bet money that he is a backup or out of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 08:37 AM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: If it is minor and common give me some examples of OL that have had surgery for herniated disc and returned 100% as starters for at least 3 years?

The NFL doesn't disclose a lot of that information due to privacy laws and trams not having to do so. The Watt injury seems to have happened several times. This could be due to severity, underlying causes from related injuries, or that it wasn't JUST a herniated disk. I am not jaded in thinking it couldn't be an issue for Carman, just that his age, the severity, and that the Bengals and other teams cleared him without any red flags seems to indicate it's not severe or ling term.

Many studies and articles have been done on the subject....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21220543/

It is extremely common and not something to be concerned about.

Another article discussing it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/back-surgery-does-not-end-careers-for-nfl-linemen.amp

Another

https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20120325/operative-treatment-allowed-for-professional-athletes-with-lumbar-disc-herniation-better-return-to-p

Another study from Northwestern. They did a 20 year history study on it.

https://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/01/nfl-linemen-back-surgery.html

Also. Gronk has had herniated disk injuries as well, had surgery, and been fine. This was a major concern for him coming out of college since he had had multiple back issues...  HOF career.

Carman will be fine given his injury was minor enough he played through it and is still very young as far as recovery is concerned. It's not as if he had spinal/disk fusion or something.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 08:57 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The NFL doesn't disclose a lot of that information due to privacy laws and trams not having to do so. But many studies and articles have been done on the subject....

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21220543/

It is extremely common and not something to be concerned about.

Another article discussing it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/back-surgery-does-not-end-careers-for-nfl-linemen.amp

Another

https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedics/20120325/operative-treatment-allowed-for-professional-athletes-with-lumbar-disc-herniation-better-return-to-p

Another study from Northwestern. They did a 20 year history study on it.

https://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/01/nfl-linemen-back-surgery.html

Also. Gronk has had herniated disk injuries as well, had surgery, and been fine. This was a major concern for him coming out of college since he had had multiple back issues...  HOF career.

Carman will be fine given his injury was minor enough he played through it and is still very young as far as recovery is concerned. It's not as if he had spinal/disk fusion or something.

Just as I thought you can't give me an example.  Must be super common lol.
Reply/Quote