Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired?
The Hate on Paul Alexander on here is very strange.

The guy is one of the most respected Offensive Line minds in football and he had a hand in drafting some great players here 2 of them who are HOF caliber players in Anderson and Whitworth.

Also maybe Brown wanted to get some inside info on Carmen specifically because he knew that's who Duke was targeting.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PA is a regular on Sirius NFL Radio and was interviewed by Sports Illustrated for this draft.

Every year he personally works with some of the best college prospects preparing for the draft.

Paul Alexander has become the go to guy for Offensive Linemen pre-draft and a major pipeline for NFL scouting. Some other guys he worked with Penei Sewell, Alex Vera-Tucker, Dillon Radunz, Samuel Cosmi, Quinn Meinerz, Wyatt Davis, Jaylen Mayfield, Spencer Brown, and he even spent time with the 49ers new QB Trey Lance teaching him NFL Protections.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, this article kind of took me by surprise.  Several statements from the team management have led us to believe that Mike Brown was at least Semi-Retired, and not really "hands on" with the operations of the team any longer.  Now, unless Paul Alexander just made up those quotes from his conversation with Mike Brown, it seems like perhaps the team management may have been misleading the fan base for whatever reasons.

I mean, I get it.  Mike Brown is still alive, and he is still the President of the team.  However, I don't like that they have been on a PR effort for years, purporting that Katie has "taken over" operations of the team, responsible for so many of the recent changes in the way the Bengals are doing business and such, only to find out that Mike is indeed, still the one pulling the strings behind the curtain.  I won't say that it's "dishonest", as they have never said that Mike has fully retired, I mean it's their team, and they can run it any way that they choose to.  I'm just saying that as fans, if we thought that the torch of management and decision making had been passed, maybe we were wrong to think that way.

I think you're reading more into it than what's there.  

Mike Brown isn't breaking down film on OL prospects and assembling the big board.  Tobin, the coaches, and the scouting staff are doing that.  If Mike asked Paul about Carman first, it's likely because he had been discussed as an option in round 2.  Taylor had said they had Carman at the top of their board.  Since the Bengals were leaning Chase and OL in 2, it makes sense to ask about the OL they had at the top of the board in 2.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:01 PM)J24 Wrote: The Hate on Paul Alexander on here is very strange.

The guy is one of the most respected Offensive Line minds in football and he had a hand in drafting some great players here 2 of them who are HOF caliber players in Anderson and  Whitworth.

Also maybe Brown wanted to get some inside info on Carmen specifically because he knew that's who Duke was targeting.

No one is saying that PA wasn't a great coach in his prime, or that he isn't any good at judging talent today.  All folks are getting at is that he grew stale in the last 5 years of his tenure with the Bengals.  Several of his picks failed to develop, some of his top picks turned out to be big misses.  People joke when they refer to him as Piano Man, but being a pianist is a very respectable skill to have.  However, some of his schtick like the entire ketchup bottle test, really grew stale after a while.  One thing that stuck out to me, toward the end of his career, was a quote that he said once in the middle of the season.  It went something like "I can't work on technique in mid season, that's an offseason thing".  If it stuck out to me, I know that it must have bothered a lot of other folks, too.

I'm sure that now that the pressures of being a full time coach are past him, that his head is a lot clearer for things like talent evaluation and private coaching.  Good for him.  But, he's also a consultant for NFL radio, meaning that it's his job to pump up prospects, give the fans something to hang on every word of.  As a Bengal fan, I don't like reading that he and Mike Brown were having confidential chats about our team's current draft. as it makes me feel as if the team is going in reverse, as opposed to moving past covered ground.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:01 PM)J24 Wrote: The Hate on Paul Alexander on here is very strange.

The guy is one of the most respected Offensive Line minds in football and he had a hand in drafting some great players here 2 of them who are HOF caliber players in Anderson and  Whitworth.

And a few years ago, there was maybe one or two people on this message board that thought he should be a line coach here.

He supports Carman? Suddenly he's a genius.

Same with Brown.

For the last decade, the majority of fans think the man is a senile moron. He wants Carman? He's a great football mind.

I agree, the hate is strange. But only the hate against fans who think the Carman pick was bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just what I wanted to read to make me optimistic about the Bengals future... an article about the brain trust that is the "retired" Mike Brown and "fired" Paul Alexander deciding the draft for the Bengals.

I know right? Nothing could make me go limp faster. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I hate to be that guy, ok nevermind, I told you so. I've never bought the narrative that Mikey has stepped back.
Reply/Quote
Nowhere did the article say PA or even Mike Brown made the draft call. What it said was PA spoke to Mike Brown as he worked with a lot of this years class and Mike asked about Carman. It also said PAs grade on him was plug and play with a floor of average and ceiling higher than that. For all anyone knows Mike had the short lists from Pollack and ZT and asked PA about them. And there a lot of other scouting reports on Carman out there that are pretty similar to PAs take - he is plug and play at Guard and once he acclimates will be a fixture.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: Nowhere did the article say PA or even Mike Brown made the draft call. What it said was PA spoke to Mike Brown as he worked with a lot of this years class and Mike asked about Carman. It also said PAs grade on him was plug and play with a floor of average and ceiling higher than that. For all anyone knows Mike had the short lists from Pollack and ZT and asked PA about them. And there a lot of other scouting reports on Carman out there that are pretty similar to PAs take - he is plug and play at Guard and once he acclimates will be a fixture.

They didn't make the draft call!

But all of the info they supplied was used in making the draft call.

Sooo...

Uh...
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, this article kind of took me by surprise.  Several statements from the team management have led us to believe that Mike Brown was at least Semi-Retired, and not really "hands on" with the operations of the team any longer.  Now, unless Paul Alexander just made up those quotes from his conversation with Mike Brown, it seems like perhaps the team management may have been misleading the fan base for whatever reasons.

I mean, I get it.  Mike Brown is still alive, and he is still the President of the team.  However, I don't like that they have been on a PR effort for years, purporting that Katie has "taken over" operations of the team, responsible for so many of the recent changes in the way the Bengals are doing business and such, only to find out that Mike is indeed, still the one pulling the strings behind the curtain.  I won't say that it's "dishonest", as they have never said that Mike has fully retired, I mean it's their team, and they can run it any way that they choose to.  I'm just saying that as fans, if we thought that the torch of management and decision making had been passed, maybe we were wrong to think that way.

This is similar to that bull**** the sweetener industry is trying to pull.  They know most people are aware of how bad high fructose corn syrup is for you and that people are trying to avoid it.  So, instead of finding a healthful alternative they rebrand the toxic **** as "natural corn syrup", or "fruit fructose".  At least the family is aware of just how reviled he is. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 10:54 PM)Synric Wrote:

Interesting to see the top guys, Vera-Tucker, Sewell and Slater don't show up on that list.

Also interesting that neither late round pick was on the list.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Interesting to see the top guys, Vera-Tucker, Sewell and Slater don't show up on that list.

Also interesting that neither late round pick was on the list.

Here is Paul with Penei Sewell.

I couldn't find the one with Vera-Tucker but Paul mentioned working with him on Sirus. I don't believe he worked with Slater or Teven Jenkins.

Reply/Quote
People really need to get over the “Carmen is a 3rd rounder” bs because they saw him there is some mocks. Mocks and analysts are not 100% right.

Let’s use Banks as an example. I saw Banks in rounds 4-5 in mocks. Then before the draft Lap started talking about the Bengals being high on him and he would surprise fans/media. Sure enough he goes in the 2nd round. What’s more likely? The 49ers reached on him and the Bengals were also stupid to have him included in the 2nd round discussion? Or that the pre draft guess work by fans, media, tv personalities were wrong?

Get over it kids. No matter how much you think you know, sometimes you’re wrong. Just because the bengals were the ones to make the pick doesn’t mean they reached. Carmen is a good player and improves our OLine
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Here is Paul with Penei Sewell.

I couldn't find the one with Vera-Tucker but Paul mentioned working with him on Sirus. I don't believe he worked with Slater or Teven Jenkins.

I have heard that he is well respected by others but it makes me wonder what happened. 

His teaching and style and scouting clearly wasn't working here. Left here, went to Dallas and again was let go. Just don't get how he can run these camps and be so well thought of but when he gets a job on a team he fails. 

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: People really need to get over the “Carmen is a 3rd rounder” bs because they saw him there is some mocks. Mocks and analysts are not 100% right.

People should get over Remo and Julia.
People should move on from the sinking of the Tianic.
It's time to let the Seaville War go.

Mellow

Sorry, but half the posts defending Carmen don't even realize he's not in San Diego any more.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He absolutely worked out with Sewell AND Slater didn't work out with him, because he worked out with Duke who... guess what? CARMAN ALSO WORKED OUT WITH.

I'm disappointed in a lot of you negative pukes on this board; instead of getting behind our guys are hoping for them to be great players, this bullshit article comes up and everyone gets all pissy and become chicken littles.

Who gives a shit WHO made the pick; all that matters is that they play well, so get behind them and hope for them to live up to their draft spot.

Need some time away from here; absolute loser-mentality with the inferences made in this thread.

Maybe you should calm yourself down a little before popping off.

Read the next post I had to Synric asking how Paul does well in camps but keeps losing his job with teams.

Nowhere was I down on the pick... matter of fact if you read other places you'd see me supporting Carman. I gave a review of him as a Clemson fan and point blank said he'd be a good guard, just don't want him at tackle. 

So before you jump on someone get your own shit straight. 

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Maybe you should calm yourself down a little before popping off.

Read the next post I had to Synric asking how Paul does well in camps but keeps losing his job with teams.

Nowhere was I down on the pick... matter of fact if you read other places you'd see me supporting Carman. I gave a review of him as a Clemson fan and point blank said he'd be a good guard, just don't want him at tackle. 

So before you jump on someone get your own shit straight. 

The, "negative pukes," wasn;t meant for you Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 11:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The, "negative pukes," wasn;t meant for you Wink

Fair enough.

Saw it in the reply and was like... WTF? I know I was 100% team Sewell, but I've tried very hard since the draft to not be a giant downer. I've had my opinions and my thoughts but certainly have tried to not be all "the world is ending".

It's all good.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Paul Alexander is now a well respected personal offensive line coach that works with the top NFL prospects including Penei Sewell. It's very likely every NFL Team in the league called him up and asked him about the players he worked with...

Doubtful that the Cowboys did since they fired him after only a few weeks. 
Reply/Quote